Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Marvin49":rcpt8zdz said:
I'd be willing to take that bet. Niners had best ST unit in the NFL in 2011.

Pro Bowl Kicker, Pro Bowl Punter and one of the best ST coaches in the NFL (Brad Seely).

Same. Andy Lee is a perennial pro-bowl punter. Dawkins made the pro-bowl as a kicker last season. And Seely is always acknowledged as the best ST coach in the league.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1f2hnses said:
Last years Special Teams DVOA has Seattle at 3rd and San Fran at 20th, compared to 2011's DVOA having Seattle 16th and San Fran 2nd.

Front 7 is getting closer with our big DL additions in Bennett, McDonald and Avril, as well as the continued development of Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright. I'd give San Francisco the edge currently, though.
We had the worst FG kicker in the league last season in David Akers. We replaced him with a pro-bowler.

How is front 7 getting closer? Willis and Bowman are considered the best LBers in the league (both were voted all pro). The 49ers have 2 great OLB/DEs in Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks- both of whom were all pros last season. And Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are considered top 10 at their respective positions.

Sure, your front 7 is solid and is getting better. But the 49ers Front 7's greatness is equivalent to your secondary. It would be foolish to question the LOB's dominance and recognition as the best secondary in the league. Likewise, it would be equally foolish to say the Hawks Front 7 is closing in on the 49ers

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2pgyrksr said:
Sure, your front 7 is solid and is getting better. But the 49ers Front 7's greatness is equivalent to your secondary. It would be foolish to question the LOB's dominance and recognition as the best secondary in the league. Likewise, it would be equally foolish to say the Hawks Front 7 is closing in on the 49ers

No, it would be equally foolish to say that the Hawks Front 7 is as good as the Niners Front 7. It is not foolish to say that ours is improving and gaining ground on yours. A matter of opinion, certainly, but hardly a foolish opinion.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Marvin49":1dlj0hfc said:
drdiags":1dlj0hfc said:
The bigger story is that the Seahawks spent a 4th round pick and $440K signing bonus to attempt to develop Harper. He didn't work out for the role the team wanted him to play but the 9ers are hoping to catch lightening in a bottle by making a small sacrifice carrying him on the 53-man roster.

If it doesn't work out, they only lose out on a minimum salary deal or worse a 3 game salary. The Seahawks scouts and coaches who evaluated Harper along with JS are probably huddling to figure out what they missed and how to keep from repeating this.

No one is a genius. As long as the big picture issues are trending up, the owner most likely isn't going to review the overall performance of the FO/Coaches negatively. But there have been a few monetary mis-steps that would make a more frugal owner's hair stand on end.

lol. Yeah, it helps when your owner is the co-founder of Microsoft and has more money than several nations. :D

True, Paul Allen is extremely wealthy. However, there's a player salary cap that prevents him from using all his wealth to sign players. So it really doesn't matter from a player standpoint how much he can spend. He's limited to the cap.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":iwnyv9ri said:
Nah, I'd just rather people take issue with what I actually say and not make stuff up in order to have something to respond to.

Well where is the fun in that??? :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":4zfqlwy0 said:
Marvin49":4zfqlwy0 said:
Maelstrom787":4zfqlwy0 said:
I'm willing to bet that the Hawks have a better ST unit than the Niners. Our D-Lines are close, as well.

I'd be willing to take that bet. Niners had best ST unit in the NFL in 2011.

Pro Bowl Kicker, Pro Bowl Punter and one of the best ST coaches in the NFL (Brad Seely).

Tough to say on D-Line as Niners play a 3 man line...tho one of them is Justin Smith. If Niners played a 4-3 like Seattle than Aldon Smith would be in that group....and even removing Aldon the 49ers linebackers would STILL be a better unit.

Since the fronts aren't the same, I think its better to say Front 7 and Secondary. Niners have better front 7 and Seattle has better Secondary.

Last years Special Teams DVOA has Seattle at 3rd and San Fran at 20th, compared to 2011's DVOA having Seattle 16th and San Fran 2nd.

Front 7 is getting closer with our big DL additions in Bennett, McDonald and Avril, as well as the continued development of Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright. I'd give San Francisco the edge currently, though.

Two words.

David Akers.

He was shown the door and they signed LAST YEARS Pro Bowl Kicker in the AFC.

Niners also signed and drafted a number of players solely for their ST ability (Skuta, Dahl, Ventrone, and Moody).

I say again...I'd take that bet.

The only concern for me is that they cut their Pro Bowl long snapper for a cheaper replacement. We'll see how that works out.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":30eoxgqk said:
SoHo9erFan":30eoxgqk said:

No, it would be equally foolish to say that the Hawks Front 7 is as good as the Niners Front 7. It is not foolish to say that ours is improving and gaining ground on yours. A matter of opinion, certainly, but hardly a foolish opinion.
True. I didn't express that properly. I just think the gap is pretty wide between the two units. Not as severe as the gap between the LOB and the 49ers secondary. But pretty damn close. Just because you guys are improving the front 7 doesn't mean your approaching the 49ers status

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawkfan68":hs7kg1yc said:
Marvin49":hs7kg1yc said:
drdiags":hs7kg1yc said:
The bigger story is that the Seahawks spent a 4th round pick and $440K signing bonus to attempt to develop Harper. He didn't work out for the role the team wanted him to play but the 9ers are hoping to catch lightening in a bottle by making a small sacrifice carrying him on the 53-man roster.

If it doesn't work out, they only lose out on a minimum salary deal or worse a 3 game salary. The Seahawks scouts and coaches who evaluated Harper along with JS are probably huddling to figure out what they missed and how to keep from repeating this.

No one is a genius. As long as the big picture issues are trending up, the owner most likely isn't going to review the overall performance of the FO/Coaches negatively. But there have been a few monetary mis-steps that would make a more frugal owner's hair stand on end.

lol. Yeah, it helps when your owner is the co-founder of Microsoft and has more money than several nations. :D

True, Paul Allen is extremely wealthy. However, there's a player salary cap that prevents him from using all his wealth to sign players. So it really doesn't matter from a player standpoint how much he can spend. He's limited to the cap.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I didn't mean it as a criticism...just agreeing that an owner worth that much money isn't going to sweat a contract when the player doesn't work out. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":9795djgi said:
Marvin49":9795djgi said:
Nah, I'd just rather people take issue with what I actually say and not make stuff up in order to have something to respond to.

Well where is the fun in that??? :D

HEHE!! :D

12th_Bob

Reaction score
hawkfan68":359vdo26 said:
Marvin49":359vdo26 said:
drdiags":359vdo26 said:

The big advantage is the constant sign and waiving of players on the practice squad, most owners are pretty stingy about making so many moves but it has worked out for Seattle especially when it comes to reinforcing the mantra.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2i9gwe1h said:
Yep. Still not that day.

Anyway, for those of us with some semblance of football knowledge - not many of us in this particular thread, considering the presences of StonedCold and all the Niners fans polluting the thread - I think the Seahawks keeping a few LBs that I didn't think might make it (Farwell, Morgan, Lotulelei) over projects like Harper and Fells is super-interesting. I think it indicates that we're running more 3-4-ish looks than I thought that we might.

Thats super duper interesting! You like project recievers who haven't done anything and you just realized we run a hybrid 3-4/Elephant after 3 years. Awesome man, you're breaking news buddy. Next year you'll tell me Steven Hauschka is money inside 50 yards.

Go look for your skittles bro, you got nothin.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Stoned Cold":2970tjwj said:
Smelly McUgly":2970tjwj said:
Yep. Still not that day.

Anyway, for those of us with some semblance of football knowledge - not many of us in this particular thread, considering the presences of StonedCold and all the Niners fans polluting the thread - I think the Seahawks keeping a few LBs that I didn't think might make it (Farwell, Morgan, Lotulelei) over projects like Harper and Fells is super-interesting. I think it indicates that we're running more 3-4-ish looks than I thought that we might.

Thats super duper interesting! You like project recievers who haven't done anything and you just realized we run a hybrid 3-4/Elephant after 3 years. Awesome man, you're breaking news buddy. Next year you'll tell me Steven Hauschka is money inside 50 yards.

Still terrible at posting, thinking, or actually reading what I wrote, I see.

But at least you're on the internet getting out your aggression instead of beating your wife or something. That's a plus, I guess.

chris98251

Reaction score
You take a receiver off a practice squad to develop as a H back and TE and he is forced by rule to be on your 53 man roster.

Ok how long before he develops Harbaugh virus and is on the IR or better yet cut for a Rams player after our game at the Clink.

I think that after our game the truth about this will rise based on what you do with Harper.

I just know all the posters from the 49ers will come back and admit the unethical nature of Harbaugh when that happens, cause 49ers are not cheaters and are upstanding fans and citizens.

Harbaugh isn't the bank robber, he's the white collar guy that insider trades, makes false accounting leaks for sales and pads the revenue numbers like CEO's and then stands on his pedestal pointing at everyone justifieing his reasoning as giving share holders a return on their investment as the board of directors increase his golden parachute.

Bottom line is a crook is still a crook.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
11 pages of this is nonsense. Good luck with Harper I wouldn't have high expectations.

If it was Luke Willson instead, I'd be irate. My adopt a rookie turncoating would be too much. lol.

mretrade

Reaction score
chris98251":20vgc7ol said:
You take a receiver off a practice squad to develop as a H back and TE and he is forced by rule to be on your 53 man roster.

Ok how long before he develops Harbaugh virus and is on the IR or better yet cut for a Rams player after our game at the Clink.

I think that after our game the truth about this will rise based on what you do with Harper.

I just know all the posters from the 49ers will come back and admit the unethical nature of Harbaugh when that happens, cause 49ers are not cheaters and are upstanding fans and citizens.

Harbaugh isn't the bank robber, he's the white collar guy that insider trades, makes false accounting leaks for sales and pads the revenue numbers like CEO's and then stands on his pedestal pointing at everyone justifieing his reasoning as giving share holders a return on their investment as the board of directors increase his golden parachute.

Bottom line is a crook is still a crook.

Wow, this is hilarious. Even if this is what Harbaugh is doing which I highly doubt, then what makes Harbaugh a crook and Mike McCarthy innocent when they just signed one of our quarterbacks before our week one match up. Harbaugh is doing nothing against the rules no matter his intentions.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":14igcbgp said:
Stoned Cold":14igcbgp said:
Smelly McUgly":14igcbgp said:
Yep. Still not that day.

But at least you're on the internet getting out your aggression instead of beating your wife or something. That's a plus, I guess.

You just went to a weird place. Shame on me, I should have seen that coming. I get sucked in sometimes trying to make sense with crazy people.

chris98251

Reaction score
The crook is a crook is an analogy, ethics and unspoken consideration used to be a norm in the NFL, not anymore and poaching a team after a player clears waivers and when asked to sign to our PS is a lot like the Lockette situation last year. Again the BS with Wallace and how he handled the whole Alex Smith thing is all about manipulation and trying to gain an edge no matter the tactics. I watched him play, he was the same then a bitchy whiney player except when he wanted to take advantage of situations that helped him. He has not changed as a coach, whether it's player personal or on the sidelines.

chris98251

Reaction score
McCarthy signed someone you cut and then told the world he had retired after using him to manipulate the McCoy contract a bit different deal. Oh and before you bring up Winfield he was injured and was not going to be on the roster.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Harper gets his $400,000 signing bonus from Seattle and his $405,000 rookie salary from the niners. Even if the niners cut him after 3 weeks his contract is guaranteed if he's on the roster week 1, which he will be.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3ptzi7ss said:
Stoned Cold":3ptzi7ss said:
Smelly McUgly":3ptzi7ss said:
Yep. Still not that day.

Agree, we don't want internet posters getting too crazy here in the real world. Last year we already had someone throwing remotes at their tv in front of their kids. Wife beatings is clearly the next step for aggressive internet posters.