Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

NorCal

Reaction score
Marvin49":2rkk9mft said:
rideaducati":2rkk9mft said:
Half the niner 2013 draft is on IR so they had to use someone's draft to fill holes in their roster.

yup...because 3 out of 11 is half. It's MATH!! :D

Oh yeah...and they aren't on IR because they can all come back this year AND those 3 picks were DRAFTED injured.

Ducati can't understand why a GM would draft injured players. Its his key point in stating that Baalke is dumb. I guess in his mind he thinks Baalke didn't realize they were injured or something like that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NorCal":2uq7gkln said:
Marvin49":2uq7gkln said:
rideaducati":2uq7gkln said:
Half the niner 2013 draft is on IR so they had to use someone's draft to fill holes in their roster.

Oh yeah...and they aren't on IR because they can all come back this year AND those 3 picks were DRAFTED injured.

Ducati can't understand why a GM would draft injured players. Its his key point in stating that Baalke is dumb. I guess in his mind he thinks Baalke didn't realize they were injured or something like that.

I know. It's pretty funny.

It never occurs to him that the players were available later in the draft than they would ordinarily be projected so it's a great way to stockpile talent for future years...especially when you have so many picks that you don't NEED them to produce in year one.

Clearly too difficult a concept.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NorCal":ika70vso said:
Marvin49":ika70vso said:
rideaducati":ika70vso said:

It's not my key point as to why Baalke is, as you say, dumb. I never said he was dumb, I said he has duped niner fans and the media into thinking he is a good GM. Maybe, when the niners win fewer games this year, you'll start to understand that more Baalke drafted players means fewer wins. Just watch, you'll see.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":24l1k1qr said:
NorCal":24l1k1qr said:
Marvin49":24l1k1qr said:

It's not my key point as to why Baalke is, as you say, dumb. I never said he was dumb, I said he has duped niner fans and the media into thinking he is a good GM. Maybe, when the niners win fewer games this year, you'll start to understand that more Baalke drafted players means fewer wins. Just watch, you'll see.

At least he's consistent.

rideaducati

Reaction score
As to drafting injured players, Pete has been doing this since he arrived in Seattle. Walter Thurmond was a first round talent that was injured and missed his senior year of college that Pete picked in the fourth round. He did this in his first draft with the Seahawks. Second draft, Malcolm Smith was chosen in the seventh round.

Drafting injured players is something Seahawks fans know about. I find it comical when niner fans act as if this is something Earth shattering or groundbreaking that Baalke is doing.

How many draft picks from last year saw the field for the niners? How about the year before? How many of those players saw the field as rookies? If Baalke is so good, the niners shouldn't have question marks at WR or in their secondary. He spent a first round pick on a WR that now resides in KC. I remember niner fans clamoring that "Baalke got HIS GUY" because he put a third round talent's name in an envelope and drafted him in the first round.

Where is the "gem" found in the late rounds for Baalke? How about the undrafted free agent? He seems really good at plucking Seahawks leftovers, but once he gets them, then what?

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":22jmdxux said:
As to drafting injured players, Pete has been doing this since he arrived in Seattle. Walter Thurmond was a first round talent that was injured and missed his senior year of college that Pete picked in the fourth round. He did this in his first draft with the Seahawks. Second draft, Malcolm Smith was chosen in the seventh round.

Drafting injured players is something Seahawks fans know about. I find it comical when niner fans act as if this is something Earth shattering or groundbreaking that Baalke is doing.

How many draft picks from last year saw the field for the niners? How about the year before? How many of those players saw the field as rookies? If Baalke is so good, the niners shouldn't have question marks at WR or in their secondary. He spent a first round pick on a WR that now resides in KC. I remember niner fans clamoring that "Baalke got HIS GUY" because he put a third round talent's name in an envelope and drafted him in the first round.

Where is the "gem" found in the late rounds for Baalke? How about the undrafted free agent? He seems really good at plucking Seahawks leftovers, but once he gets them, then what?

Nobody said it was earthshattering...it just seems pretty funny that you slam him for it.

As for answeres to your questions....

Only LaMichael James was on the field last year. At this point, it's impossible to call the 2012 draft a decent one. It was pretty bad. However, Baalke traded down several times and 3 of the picks they had THIS year are a product of picks from LAST year. They also just traded one of their players for a 7 (Cam Johnson) because they were stacked at that position.

The year before? Only one of them started as a rookie....but that had alot more to do with the team than the players. Remember...they went 13-3. Aldon didn't start, but he had 14 sacks. Alex was the starter after a strike shortened offseason so the exteremely raw Kaepernick learned for a year. Chris Culliver played quite a bit as a nickel back. Kendall Hunter was behind the teams all time leading rusher but played very well. Kilgore is this teams future starter at center. Bruce Miller started at FB after playing DE/OLB in college and is now a Pro Bowl Alternate. Theres a late gem for ya. Mike Person is a SEAHAWK. No space for him on this line.

The year before? Davis and Iupati STARTED as rookies. Bowman spent a year behind Takeo Spikes and is now a 2 time all-pro. Anthony Dixon is a HB/FB/Special Teamer. Kyle Williams (another late rounder) will start this year.

How about late round gems from THIS year? BJ Daniels.

UDFA? Tramaine Brock (3rd or 4th corner). Garrett Celek (#3 TE). DeMarcus Dobbs (#2 DE and TE). Will Tukuafu (#2 DE and FB). Ian Williams (starter at NT).

All this crap about Baalke is all about ONE draft. 2012. It isn't even accurate because Baalke had a stacked roster and spent most of the day trading down and for picks in 2013. Thats how they had 15 of them at one point. They are doing that again THIS year and currently have 13 of them (assuming a comp pick for Goldson).

How about contributors THIS year? Reid will start. McDonald will be the #2 TE and probably be on the field 50% of the offensive snaps. Lemonier is the first OLB on the field when Brooks or Aldon take a snap off. Patton will contribute.

This fascination with trying to prove that Baalke is overrated is comical and transparent.

Just stop.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet1m
Interesting about #49ers WR Chris Harper's contract: Niners guaranteed him $202K of this year's salary, ensuring his roster spot. Bold.

Marvin49

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3994wtgp said:
Was this posted yet?

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/09/ ... d-patrick/

Can't get through so many pages of whiner fan nonsense.

Good luck to Harper, seems like a nice guy. We knew this was going to be the case, some talented guys were going to be cut and picked up by other teams.

Looks like they are going to try to use him an an H-back.

Yes, they have him watching film on Delanie Walker. I guess the hope is that he can backup McDonald as the "joker" or use him in 3 TE sets.

chris98251

Reaction score
They will eat the 220k for what they hope is another win this season, I still think they cut him, that film room study is about the Seahawks offense and whats different.........

I'm sorry but paying a guy 220k to watch film of a guy is pretty spendy, thats why you have a practice squad to teach a position and to grow a prospect. Yeah you could argue we did it with Sweezy but he played, doesn't sound like Harper is going to much.

mretrade

Reaction score
Its hilarious how many misinformed assumptions you are making.

mretrade

Reaction score
Chris Harper is going to have zero impact on that game in terms of preparation and in terms of the actual game, he won't even be activated. The results in 2 weeks, no matter what they are, will do nothing to prove to me otherwise. You can't just say any random result is proof of your thesis.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mretrade":30ot45ya said:
Chris Harper is going to have zero impact on that game in terms of preparation and in terms of the actual game, he won't even be activated. The results in 2 weeks, no matter what they are, will do nothing to prove to me otherwise. You can't just say any random result is proof of your thesis.
Yeah, the Niners won't ask him anything about the Hawks playbook.

I'm not saying it will be a big deal, but it is a factor. Hot read calls, audibles, all that has to be changed now.

And he will get cut. I actually like his potential as a WR, but as an H-back? I didn't see the kind of want to from him that it takes to stick your nose into that stuff. I am no expert on the position, but I know what I saw from Delanie Walker last year, he is a pretty good blocker and tough guy.

I like Harper's short area quickness, but I really don't know how that will hold up if he adds weight. One thing he and Delanie have in common is drops, but maybe those can be fixed up.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Harper was drafted in the fourth round this year by the Seahawks. However, he was outperformed by unheralded receivers Jermaine Kearse and Stephen Williams and didn't make the final roster. When Seattle put Harper on its practice squad, the 49ers signed him.

Harper said the Seahawks tried to convince him to stay by bumping up his practice-squad contract. But the 49ers offered a better opportunity to get on the field, albeit one outside of his comfort zone.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You would think that if he had shown any potential in camp of being a Delanie Walker type player, a TE-starved team like Seattle would have given him a shot to be that sort of guy. I think his ceiling is higher as a WR, but there was also the potential that he'd never develop into a reliable NFL target. The thing with Harper is that his tape is awful -- college and pre-season. His potential is based almost entirely on his build and the benefit-of-doubt that comes from playing with a terrible college QB. I wouldn't go as far to say that JS whiffed on the pick, but I said before final cuts that he wasn't worth a roster spot given Seattle's unexpected depth at receiver. Thought he was a perfect PS candidate and didnt expect any NFL roster, much less a talented one like SF, using a spot on the final 53 for him.

Dick Johnson

Reaction score
I seriously doubt Harper would have any impact on either the Niners, or the Seahawks this season. Both teams have set rosters for game day, and Harper isn't likely going to crack one this year. As for insight into Seattle's play book, I doubt a rookie wr on the bubble was given insider info to Carroll's secret niner gameplan. If Harbaugh wants secrets, he could have easily resigned Robinson.
Personally, I don't think Harper lasts long with SF. I think he is a player the Niners were interested in the draft, and they want to take him for a test drive. If he works out thanks again Seattle, but I'm not holding my breath.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
rideaducati":cm3o23kr said:
I never said he was dumb, I said he has duped niner fans and the media into thinking he is a good GM. Maybe, when the niners win fewer games this year, you'll start to understand that more Baalke drafted players means fewer wins. Just watch, you'll see.
[/quote][/quote]

hahaha, now this is funny. more baalke drafts = fewer wins? Bowman, Anthony Davis, Ian Williams, Alex Boone, Iupati, Aldon, Kaepernick, Hunter, Bruce Miller, and Chris Culliver would all like to have word with you. baalke is another gem from Parcel's tree.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you watched the pre season you saw us using a vareity of different formations and players at positions, the principles behind this and the utilizations of personnel with the coaches looking over would give them insight.

Also Harper stated he has never put his hand on the ground in a three point stance, he has a long way to go.

Latest posts