Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sturm":ymm2ry9k said:
Aren't the 49er's at the bottom of the waiver claim list since they went to the Super Bowl.

That means every other team had to pass on Harper when he was waived. Is this right?

Yes...but the 49ers didn't claim him either. He cleared waivers.

49ers intended to waive TE Marqueis Gray and then resign him to PS....however he was claimed by SIX teams. After clearing waivers, Harper signed to the Seattle PS. The 49ers signed him off the practice squad.

Waiver priority had nothing to do with this because Harper cleared waivers.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Vandelay":3av8oqjk said:
I think your team has just as much talent but because your coach has proved time an time again in the big boys league the he is completely avg, makes me beat the drum of my team. I have been dying to find a site for some good old fashion ribbing. I am totally trolling for i live 6,000 miles away and have missed all the 49er Seahawks trash talk. Recognize the facts, Pete Caroll is an always has been a avg coach. If he werent you would have been in the NFC title game. He blew it, choked.. FACT always the bridesmaid never the bride...its his NFL story
No doubt about it, he didn't have a good first couple go arounds. But to say he's the same coach now as he was then is pretty ignorant. He went back to college and changed his entire approach and philosophy. I think his new approach has worked very well. He came back in with a 4 year plan, where he had to gut an old and soft team and rebuild the entire team from the ground up. 3 years in and he's found a franchise QB, brought in a top 10 RB, put together the best backfield in the league, and was 30 seconds away from the NFC championship. If that is average, than I have nothing else to say.

As far as Harbaugh, yes he's a great coach. I can admit that much. He's damn near a QB whisperer. But let's not pretend he didn't come into a wonderful situation and it was ALL him.

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2f5l6f7t said:
Vandelay":2f5l6f7t said:
I think your team has just as much talent but because your coach has proved time an time again in the big boys league the he is completely avg, makes me beat the drum of my team. I have been dying to find a site for some good old fashion ribbing. I am totally trolling for i live 6,000 miles away and have missed all the 49er Seahawks trash talk. Recognize the facts, Pete Caroll is an always has been a avg coach. If he werent you would have been in the NFC title game. He blew it, choked.. FACT always the bridesmaid never the bride...its his NFL story
No doubt about it, he didn't have a good first couple go arounds. But to say he's the same coach now as he was then is pretty ignorant. He went back to college and changed his entire approach and philosophy. I think his new approach has worked very well. He came back in with a 4 year plan, where he had to gut an old and soft team and rebuild the entire team from the ground up. 3 years in and he's found a franchise QB, brought in a top 10 RB, put together the best backfield in the league, and was 30 seconds away from the NFC championship. If that is average, than I have nothing else to say.

As far as Harbaugh, yes he's a great coach. I can admit that much. He's damn near a QB whisperer. But let's not pretend he didn't come into a wonderful situation and it was ALL him.

Two things...

1) I think you are correct with Carroll. I think he learned what NOT to do in his previous stops.

2) With Harbaugh....its not just that he walked in to a great situation....I think HE saw what the Niners could become and that was a big part of why he chose SF in the first place. He could have gone to Denver and he could have gone to Miami for alot more money. He chose to go to SF. Hindsight is 20/20 on alot of the reports in those days before Harbaugh was hired, but the National media essentially thought there was no way he'd take the SF job once Miami got involved because it was a "bad situation". Wow...things have changed since then. LOL.

The 49ers didn't only have alot of pieces....they just happened to have pieces that fit him so perfectly. Multiple GOOD TEs. Great RB. Young improving O-Line. Great defense (that just happened to already be a 3-4 for Vic Fangio). Its exactly what he pushed so hard to have at Stanford. Its almost like the team was being built for him...and I personally think Baalke already had Harbaugh in mind when he became the interim GM. They already knew Sing had one foot out the door. Now alot of those pieces came in a long time before Harbaugh was in mind...I'm just saying...I think Harbaugh and his Stanford offense were on Baalkes mind for awhile before he got hired.

sutz

Reaction score
Vandelay":22ybro2i said:

So was Belichick, until he got to the Patsies and got Brady in the lineup.

Old and tired argument that pre-supposes the indicated parties cannot learn from previous events.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":bymj2ctf said:
-The Glove-":bymj2ctf said:
Vandelay":bymj2ctf said:

Two things...

1) I think you are correct with Carroll. I think he learned what NOT to do in his previous stops.

2) With Harbaugh....its not just that he walked in to a great situation....I think HE saw what the Niners could become and that was a big part of why he chose SF in the first place. He could have gone to Denver and he could have gone to Miami for alot more money. He chose to go to SF. Hindsight is 20/20 on alot of the reports in those days before Harbaugh was hired, but the National media essentially thought there was no way he'd take the SF job once Miami got involved because it was a "bad situation". Wow...things have changed since then. LOL.

The 49ers didn't only have alot of pieces....they just happened to have pieces that fit him so perfectly. Multiple GOOD TEs. Great RB. Young improving O-Line. Great defense (that just happened to already be a 3-4 for Vic Fangio). Its exactly what he pushed so hard to have at Stanford. Its almost like the team was being built for him...and I personally think Baalke already had Harbaugh in mind when he became the interim GM. They already knew Sing had one foot out the door. Now alot of those pieces came in a long time before Harbaugh was in mind...I'm just saying...I think Harbaugh and his Stanford offense were on Baalkes mind for awhile before he got hired.

That's what I mean...he walked into the perfect situation. When I say that, I'm not discounting his coaching abilities cuz look at Singletary before him. Imagine if the roles were flipped though. PC walked into SF and Harbaugh had to start from scratch in Seattle. We don't know how different things would have been. So to knock Pete for actually taking on the challenge of rebuilding an entire team and changing the identity of a program is ludicrous.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
sutz":38tyd3qw said:
Vandelay":38tyd3qw said:

So was Belichick, until he got to the Patsies and got Brady in the lineup.

Old and tired argument that pre-supposes the indicated parties cannot learn from previous events.
I was going to bring this up too

Marvin49

Reaction score
-The Glove-":24vuhna4 said:
Marvin49":24vuhna4 said:
-The Glove-":24vuhna4 said:

Two things...

That's what I mean...he walked into the perfect situation. When I say that, I'm not discounting his coaching abilities cuz look at Singletary before him. Imagine if the roles were flipped though. PC walked into SF and Harbaugh had to start from scratch in Seattle. We don't know how different things would have been. So to knock Pete for actually taking on the challenge of rebuilding an entire team and changing the identity of a program is ludicrous.

Thats fair...

...I just think Harbaugh/Baalke would have succeeded almost anywhere. It just might have taken them a bit longer to get there than it did in SF. Part of that "Perfect Situation" tho was the fact that he didn't just jump for the guy with the biggest paycheck. he saw the situation in SF the way many many others didn't. You have to give him credit for recognizing the situation and putting off the huge contract knowing that he might be better off taking less with a team more primed to win.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":al4tctxi said:
-The Glove-":al4tctxi said:
Marvin49":al4tctxi said:
-The Glove- said:

Two things...

Thats fair...

...I just think Harbaugh/Baalke would have succeeded almost anywhere. It just might have taken them a bit longer to get there than it did in SF. Part of that "Perfect Situation" tho was the fact that he didn't just jump for the guy with the biggest paycheck. he saw the situation in SF the way many many others didn't. You have to give him credit for recognizing the situation and putting off the huge contract knowing that he might be better off taking less with a team more primed to win.
Oh I give him tons of credit for recognizing that and jumping at that opportunity.

rideaducati

Reaction score
To each his own... I refuse to give Baalke credit for the 2010 draft. I just won't. We'll never know about that draft, but all others since haven't been as good as the ones prior to 2010. He COMPLETELY whiffed on an entire draft that we KNOW was his. When/if he starts replacing pro-bowl players with pro-bowl players that he drafts, I might come around a bit. My guess is that that will only happen with top 10 picks in the draft, which will only prove my argument.

Good luck niner fans...you're gonna need it.

mretrade

Reaction score
How does he not deserve credit for a draft in which he made the selections and draft day trades? With minor exceptions, a lot of teams draft boards look the same. And he was also on the staff that had direct input into that draft board.

Even if you take out 2010 I would be happy with his draft. He whiffed on 2012 but 2011 was so awesome that if you combine the two its still pretty solid. Plus, 2013 is looking beastly early.

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lb1m8gx said:
To each his own... I refuse to give Baalke credit for the 2010 draft. I just won't. We'll never know about that draft, but all others since haven't been as good as the ones prior to 2010. He COMPLETELY whiffed on an entire draft that we KNOW was his. When/if he starts replacing pro-bowl players with pro-bowl players that he drafts, I might come around a bit. My guess is that that will only happen with top 10 picks in the draft, which will only prove my argument.

Good luck niner fans...you're gonna need it.

The 49ers 2013 draft is looking pretty hot so far, even with 3 of the better prospects injured and unable to showcase their ability. The same can't really be said about the Seahawks though.

Plus both in 2012 and 2013, Baalke was able to rake in a LOT of extra draft picks. The 49ers can manipulate the draft board quite well with how much ammo they have.

kearly

Reaction score
Judging a coach by wins without taking context into consideration is stupid. Seattle was a much better team than their 7-9 record in 2011, for example. Carroll had a winning NFL record before Seattle, but how much of that was inherited? Further, it's pretty obvious that Carroll was hired for the same reason that Harbaugh was a year later. He was an awesome college coach.

Talking about Carroll's career NFL record isn't any kind of insight into how good a coach he is. Just the opposite, it is an attempt to obfuscate his success rebuilding a once terrible team in Seattle, as well as his accomplishments at USC. It is the kind of factoid that only a self-serving Seahawks/Carroll doubter/hater would make. It would be like me saying Alex Smith has a career passer rating of 79.1. While technically true, it completely misrepresents how good a QB Alex Smith has become after finally having a good coach to work with.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Carroll is a dam good coach.
but he was a frickin savant genius college recruiter.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
15 pages about a practice squad player picked in the 4th round? Devolving into IF Pete is a good coach? I feel sorry for you 49er fans that your own sites are so horrible that you have to raid a Seahawk site to discuss football.

Latest posts