Chris Clemons Signs With Seahawks

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chris Clemons is just fine. Clayton figures he signed for Vet Minimum. Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman called him as soon as he was cut, and asked him to come back.

In 2014, on one of the crappiest defenses in the league, he got 8 sacks and 3 passes defensed.

In 2015, he only started 8 games, on the crappiest defense in the league, and still managed 3 sacks and 1 pass defensed.

Let's face it, the Jaguars defense sucked, and everybody on it looked bad.

Clemons may be 34, but he doesn't have that many starts or snaps on his body during his career.

His first 6 years in the league, he started 3 games! Then he came to Seattle.

He will get valuable snaps that relieve Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, he won't make any mistakes, he's a good run stopper, and the young players will learn a lot from him.

Win/Win.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chrisclemons/2505312/profile

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
ivotuk":3az9kr1s said:
Chris Clemons is just fine. Clayton figures he signed for Vet Minimum. Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman called him as soon as he was cut, and asked him to come back.

In 2014, on one of the crappiest defenses in the league, he got 8 sacks and 3 passes defensed.

In 2015, he only started 8 games, on the crappiest defense in the league, and still managed 3 sacks and 1 pass defensed.

Clemons may be 34, but he doesn't have that many starts or snaps on his body during his career.

He will get valuable snaps that relieve Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett, he won't make any mistakes, he's a good run stopper, and the young players will learn a lot from him.

Win/Win.

Did you listen to Clemon's podcast in reference to helping Frank Clark. I didnt think Clem would be a mentor type having to compete for a roster spot.

However looking at Oline and DT needs, Seahawks will likely have to go pass-rusher early but have bigger needs.

So im thinking Clemons probably has a great chance to make the roster if only to develop and mentor Frank Ckark into a LEO. Bennett and Avril arent true LEOs.

But whats also cool is Clemons is also versatile enough to move around the Dline and be rotational player that probably could give 2-4 splash plays a game on a limited snapcount.

Howevs, having an experienced player like Clemons who can make Clark and Marsh better and perhaps more fundamentally sound will also make our Offensive Tackles better as well.

If Gilliam has to go up against a rotating trifecta of Bennett, Clemons, and Clark every day in practice its going to help his mental game catch up to his physicality and athleticism while giving Gilliam the needed grit to survive in this league on a play to play basis.

So definately there is more to Clemons that just camp-fodder.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I like this signing. I don't know what Clem has left in the tank, but I don't see the harm in finding out. If Sherm and MikeB wanted him back there must be something there. Besides I think the defense needs some of his orneriness.

I'm also encouraged by the fact the Mike B was selling Clem on the opportunity to come back to go after another ring. Hopefully that's a sign that Bennet is all in and either they've worked something out with him or he'll handle it just as he did this past season and take is contract frustrations out on the opponents.

Seafan

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2a8y6qcj said:
TorontoHawk":2a8y6qcj said:
Hawkfan77":2a8y6qcj said:
Good signing. Cant understand the level of animosity some are showing towards this signing other than "he not JJ Watt, he not good!"

He does not bring anything to the team, his career has past him, he will not make the team and if he does that does not look good for the rest of the D line.
This

I often agree with you Tech but on this one I think you are wrong. I believe his usefulness to the team will be more as a coach than as a player. I caught the conversation he had on the radio today and Pete wants him to work with Clark and he said he was eager to get here and work with him. He had 8 sacks in 2014 and IMO he's going to bring pressure when he is in the game but he's more here in case of a catastrophe. We could have used him in the second half of SB49 and he could have made a difference. If a team is going to carry a Benson Mayowa for an entire season and get absolutely no contribution from him I don't see anything wrong with this addition. I'd rather have him than a Dobbs or King. And unlike Irvin, Clem has always been an agressive run stopper from the edge. If he doesn't make the team he'll still be a plus for 2016.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ivotuk":wa66ftuy said:

Win/Win.

Very good points. The most heavily weighted stat in grading a DE is sacks, so he's getting bashed for that...a bit unfairly, IMO. He sets the edge with the best of 'em, KNOWS our D, and still can get home. He'll be excellent as a rotational player and mentor, IMO. If it somehow doesn't work out, no big deal.

sutz

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3im94jir said:
ivotuk":3im94jir said:

Win/Win.

Very good points. The most heavily weighted stat in grading a DE is sacks, so he's getting bashed for that...a bit unfairly, IMO. He sets the edge with the best of 'em, KNOWS our D, and still can get home. He'll be excellent as a rotational player and mentor, IMO. If it somehow doesn't work out, no big deal.
Yeah, sacks are way overrated in the press and on-line because it is something you can count and face it, they tend to have a large effect on game outcomes. People flock to the shiny objects. Meanwhile, games are won all the time by blue collar, lunch pail guys who come to work and do their jobs. Anybody criticizing this move based on the mistaken idea that Clemons will be a 60 play a game player is delusional. He won't play that much, if he makes the team come opening day. But he will contribute, I have no doubt. If he doesn't make the team, nothing lost really.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
If he makes the team it speaks volumes as to the lack of depth we have at his position.

We used to only sign free agents that were young and with upside the since Pete and John got here. Now we can't afford them and have to sign 34 year old players well their prime.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":jp90t845 said:
If he makes the team it speaks volumes as to the lack of depth we have at his position.

We used to only sign free agents that were young and with upside the since Pete and John got here. Now we can't afford them and have to sign 34 year old players well their prime.

Further from the truth. Case in point Kevin Williams. A 34 year old player past his prime who ended up saving Seattle's interior line defense when Mebane went down. A player whos influence and experience helped mentored Jordan Hill into a productive player that season.

Clemons might not be good as he was pre-2013 but if he is on a vet min salary, hes not playing for money, hes playing for a Championship.

And I was definately surprised to hear that Clemons role will also be to mentor Frank Clark and Cassius Marsh amongst being versatile enough to spell Bennett and Avril.

Like others have stated Clemons probably isnt going to get a majority of the snaps, probably a third of them. 15-20 a game. Id take a 100% Clemons coming into a rotation for 15-20 snaps a game at perhaps 60-75% of his prime ability over one of the young violitile pass-rushers we get at #26 ( just not a great year for edge rushers) even then we have bigger fish to fry for the draft like Oline and Interior Passs-Rush.

Again unlike a young player, Clemons has no learning curve.

Unlike a young player, Clemons has familarity within this defense and its players.

Unlike a young player, Clemons has the experience to be a mentor and help develop Clark and Marsh.

Unlike a young player, we know Clemons is a highly competitive player, who always plays with tenacity and grit, going on all in every play.

Those things will also help improve the Offensive Tackle group.

I just dont understand the thinking here where Clemons is just so horrible and he has no value. How do we know that? Because of Jacksonville? Right because Red Bryant didnt get cut in Jax last then provide value as a rotational player for the Cards.

Fred Jackson was probably one of the most important players for the Seahawks, not for his production, but doing everything the Seahawks asked of him and probably was a great mentor, role model, and positive influence for both Rawls and Michael.

Frankly, Maxwell was in his prime but went to a horrible defense and didnt have the same impact as he did in Seattle.

A lot of things effect peformance with age being number 1 but they're exceptions. Especially in a rotational role. Especially if your age doesnt match the mileage. So with Clemons it isnt how much he has left, its more, how much is he willing to give.

If he gives everything he has, I do not doubt that he'll be a productive rotational player.

Its a good signing by the Seahawks and allows them to fillm more immediate needs with better graded prospects than most of the pass-rushers available in this draft.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
If he wins a job it means he is good enough to win the job. If he doesn't win a job then we don't pay him.

Low-risk, medium reward. Can't complain about moves like that

hawknation2016

Reaction score
The Seahawks haven't had great production at the "LEO" nickel defense pass rushing end position since 2013. Schofield and Irvin were both below average in pass rushing productivity in 2014 and 2015.

Clemons has been bad against the run and not very consistent as a pass rusher since leaving the Seahawks, but he's had his share of moments with 11 sacks over the last 32 games. I just like the idea of adding as much competition as possible. Let Clark, Marsh, Clemons, etc. fight it out. Clemons might not have much left it in the tank, but he has at least shown that he can still be good in spurts.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":1ux16frn said:
Without a wall of text.

May we please give the guy a chance like the F.O. did?

Sorry, it just irks me when many are discounting this move (as well as other moves and players) and merely hating on Clemons without giving him a chance to prove himself on his own accord. We arent players, what they can and cant do will always ultimately be up to them.

I will say this though under Carroll it seems that the players with very low expectations coming in who buy in and play smart, who play with toughness and grit, and understanding helping those around them for the whole of the team. Those are the players that have overachieved in the last 5 years with many of those players becoming cornerstones on this team.

The only negative with Clemons is his age but in the bigger picture all the positives he brings could outweigh that and theres a decent chance he can be valuable in a limited role.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":18pa1imu said:
Largent80":18pa1imu said:
Without a wall of text.

May we please give the guy a chance like the F.O. did?

Sorry, it just irks me when many are discounting this move (as well as other moves and players) and merely hating on Clemons without giving him a chance to prove himself on his own accord. We arent players, what they can and cant do will always ultimately be up to them.

I will say this though under Carroll it seems that the players with very low expectations coming in who buy in and play smart, who play with toughness and grit, and understanding helping those around them for the whole of the team. Those are the players that have overachieved in the last 5 years with many of those players becoming cornerstones on this team.

The only negative with Clemons is his age but in the bigger picture all the positives he brings could outweigh that and theres a decent chance he can be valuable in a limited role.
Thanks from....."all the women Pe is convinced are guys".

Seriously, that's a good succinct synopsis.

Though it's totally possible I might be that lesbian named Sean...very possible so I'd say watch out and look both ways when you cross a street ok?

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1sj9fa8x said:
Thanks from....."all the women Pe is convinced are guys".

Seriously, that's a good succinct synopsis.

Though it's totally possible I might be that lesbian named Sean...very possible so I'd say watch out and look both ways when you cross a street ok?

You're too self absorbed to be a guy. No offense.

Jville

Reaction score
Having just returned from a week away on the coast, it is good to see a familiar name back in the Seahawk fold.

Welcome back Chris Clemons.

McGruff

Reaction score
This adds depth, but m9re importantly serves as a dress rehearsal for Clemon's future as a member of Pete Carroll's coaching staff.