Chip Kelly OC talk again

knownone

Reaction score
I think the way the college game has gone with the transfer portal and money being involved has made it really tough on coaches and they hate it. He's probably made a ton of money and dealing with all that stuff is a nightmare. If he does a great job here maybe he gets another head coaching gig
He signed a contract extension less than a year ago, though. So it's worth considering how much those things factor into his decision-making. I mean, what's changed since last year in CFB?

Financially, unless Seattle breaks the bank for him, he'd be giving up around 6 million in guaranteed money over the next two seasons. In other words, he'd be roughly halving his salary to be the highest-paid OC in the NFL. It's hard to imagine him doing that this season. So, the interest may be genuine, but it feels like a move is incredibly unlikely. Well, unless Jody is ready to break the bank for Kelly.

bigcc

Reaction score
I think it’s more like, if the team has other potential candidates that are holding out or dragging their feet, then Kelly could be a bargaining “Chip”.
Yeah it took me a second to think of that

An interview isn't just for the team, as we saw as Ben Johnson said cya next year nfl to remain a coordinator

bigcc

Reaction score
He signed a contract extension less than a year ago, though. So it's worth considering how much those things factor into his decision-making. I mean, what's changed since last year in CFB?

Financially, unless Seattle breaks the bank for him, he'd be giving up around 6 million in guaranteed money over the next two seasons. In other words, he'd be roughly halving his salary to be the highest-paid OC in the NFL. It's hard to imagine him doing that this season. So, the interest may be genuine, but it feels like a move is incredibly unlikely. Well, unless Jody is ready to break the bank for Kelly.
Who knows, I don't think Macdonald would have committed for 6 years unless she threw a lot of money at him....

He can't be poached, so he doesn't get to negotiate for a raise until 2030 lol.

I'm not sure if that makes it more or less likely she'd do it again.

Ozzy

Reaction score

You're probably right I just read an article saying the current college situation for head coaches is a disaster and expect a wave of them to quit or try to move into the NFL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Who knows, I don't think Macdonald would have committed for 6 years unless she threw a lot of money at him....

He can't be poached, so he doesn't get to negotiate for a raise until 2030 lol.

I'm not sure if that makes it more or less likely she'd do it again.
That's a shame, Jody Allen is a big fan of poaching

bigcc

Reaction score
You're probably right I just read an article saying the current college situation for head coaches is a disaster and expect a wave of them to quit or try to move into the NFL.
It's a young man's game.

Trying to balance recruiting with coaching was bad enough, now you need to make sales calls to local businesses.....

AND you need to convince your own players not to take more money elsewhere

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
The grass is not always greener on the other side applies perfectly for Chip Kelly. He had it great at Oregon, money, Phil Knight/Nike wealth for facilities and more, cool unis to attract talent, a top tier team, etc.., pretty much everything. He never got back to that level of success and recognition again.
IIRC Chip came out in his first game as coach of the eagles and they looked like world beaters. I remember thinking "Holy Crap - now I have to put up with him in the NFL". Then second half adjustments came and the ship was righted. Still had a good first year - but his go-fast college scheme was never going to hold up in the NFL.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
AAAANNNNDDDDDD - Kelly is a side-mouth talker. Not sure if that has any impact on his OC skills - but more info the better.

bigcc

Reaction score
IIRC Chip came out in his first game as coach of the eagles and they looked like world beaters. I remember thinking "Holy Crap - now I have to put up with him in the NFL". Then second half adjustments came and the ship was righted. Still had a good first year - but his go-fast college scheme was never going to hold up in the NFL.
People said the same about Pete before he came for the second time

They still say it, but they said it too

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
710 this morning kind of talked me off the ledge with Kelly. I guess I did view him as a HC rather than OC. The injuries to qb's in his system though is scary.

sutz

Reaction score
Sure wish they'd get it done. The Geno decision is pending and it would be nice if the new OC was on board with whatever they do there.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The move still doesn't make any financial sense. Unless Seattle is prepared to break the bank on Kelly, there's no way he's leaving UCLA to be an OC. Just matching his recent contract with UCLA would make him far and away the highest-paid coordinator in the league. Does that make any sense? Are we really going to overpay for a guy whose track record calling plays in the NFL is spotty?
Kelly wants out of UCLA. He's been actively lobbying NFL teams that had OC openings. Word is that he's tired of the recruiting. UCLA hasn't been competitive for eons, and next year they move to the Big 10, which will make winning even more problematic.

If we want him, he'll gladly ditch that contract and come coach for us. But I agree with you. I don't see anything on Kelly's resume that would make me think that he'd make a good NFL OC.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, if he doesn't do a great job, I suspect Macdonald will fire him after 1 season. He doesn't seem to me like the type of coach that accepts anything but top notch.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Brendan Nelson who does Seahawks stuff on youtube broke it down and it helped calm me down a little. He was still a disaster in other areas and I think the last year the wheels fell off so it wasn't all good but he did do some good things. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

I'm not excited about it and some of this is trying to talk myself into it if it happens lol
The problem with Kelly in Philly was due to him being essentially the GM having final say in player moves which didn’t turn out well and at year 3 it caught up with him

RiverDog

Reaction score
The problem with Kelly in Philly was due to him being essentially the GM having final say in player moves which didn’t turn out well and at year 3 it caught up with him
Kelly's failure in Philly goes beyond personnel moves. His Quack Attack offense wore out his own defense. The D would no sooner take off their helmets and the punt team would be trotting onto the field, the offense having gone 3-and-out in under a minute.

knownone

Reaction score
Kelly wants out of UCLA. He's been actively lobbying NFL teams that had OC openings. Word is that he's tired of the recruiting. UCLA hasn't been competitive for eons, and next year they move to the Big 10, which will make winning even more problematic.

If we want him, he'll gladly ditch that contract and come coach for us. But I agree with you. I don't see anything on Kelly's resume that would make me think that he'd make a good NFL OC.
Will he, though? It's one thing to say it. It's another thing to do it. I don't think NFL teams want to pay him anywhere close to what he's currently making, which is why these NFL rumors have (probably) never progressed past interest. With that said, if Seattle were willing to pay him close to what he's making now and give him a long-term contract, I could see him taking less to be here. But I can't imagine a world where Chip Kelly takes a $3-4M pay cut and a demotion because he's tired of recruiting.

Latest posts