Carroll is P'd Off

chris98251

Reaction score
Shit that was Junior High and High School, nobody was bigger then the team, if your didn't drill you didn't play. If you didn't shape up you were cut or dismissed from the team. Pretty simple. College was even more structured, you had stars but still nobody was bigger then the team, there was a lot more discipline, you were happy for a chance and didn't have the mentality that you should be happy to have me here.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":252i28uz said:
Shit that was Junior High and High School, nobody was bigger then the team, if your didn't drill you didn't play. If you didn't shape up you were cut or dismissed from the team. Pretty simple. College was even more structured, you had stars but still nobody was bigger then the team, there was a lot more discipline, you were happy for a chance and didn't have the mentality that you should be happy to have me here.

Baloney, stars have always been treated different.

Smellyman

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2su60qzl said:
chris98251":2su60qzl said:

It's a get off my lawn moment. In the old days guys would be hungover and barely practice and quickly shut down the young guys if they started trying to hard in practice.

NINEster

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2d3g6atb said:
seahawkfreak":2d3g6atb said:
Ok, can we mark this as a telling year. I am willing to go forward. What is a successful season? I say playing productive and good games. Going to the playoffs with at least 1 or 2 wins. If you are fine with that good for you.

There should be a serious plan for winning it all. The last 3 years were a "hey make the playoffs year maybe win a couple".

Not a fan of that. Seattle exceptionalism is not a bad word. Why does Green Bay, NE and Pitt get to rule the NFL?

Why cant we own this league? SF in the 80's and 90's was a surprise. We need to grab this. The FO needs to ball out and I hope PA is putting some serious pressure on this team and FO. Ingenuity is key!!!!
San Fran in the 80's & 90's?, When money is no OBSTACLE, it's a LOT easier to BUY a winning culture. ;)
Green Bay, Pitt aren't as dominant as the once were, thanks to the CAP.
The Pats with Brady and their COACHES on the other hand, have dominated their AFC rivals, and have been an exception to the rule, keep in mind though >... They are an East Coast team.
Players are drawn to teams that play with ATTITUDE.
Pete will find players that feel overlooked, or slighted, and have something to prove.

The 49ers lucked out on having Walsh and Montana and to a slightly lesser extent Rice/Lott, then Haley. Also an owner and president that facilitated the success.

Money is all good and well, but the 49ers were not the only team in the '80s with money.

And there were some monster teams back then to go up against.

The salary cap argument gets a little tired because while New England has been able to stay atop it all year after year, it is now possible to have a POS last place team go from worst to (close to) first pretty damn fast. That certainly wasn't possible in the '80s....if you were the Tampa Bay Bucs you just sucked and there was nothing that could be done about it.

So IMO, the eras balance out.

Bring back the uncapped era and I'm of the firm belief the same teams will dominate.

Same with wealthy people......take their money away and they'll make it back faster than you can with a head start.

Moral of the story: Competence and stability is what counts. East vs. West coast, small vs large market, chip or no chip on the shoulder are all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Bullshit , how is having a chip on your shoulder an overused saying ?
It's how winners go through life, in any profession. It's such a dog eat dog world, so over-populated, if you're not going at something like you need to prove yourself, you'll never get what you want. It's a wrestlers' type of attitude. Never think you're on top. Seattle lost that. Now they're gonna get that back. In fact, Wilson needs to stop worrying about social media, and get all in like he was before. Same with any hold-overs. Only the hungry will win. Forget about which team has more talent.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hotchy":2kj99nmd said:
It's how winners go through life, in any profession. It's such a dog eat dog world, so over-populated, if you're not going at something like you need to prove yourself, you'll never get what you want. It's a wrestlers' type of attitude. Never think you're on top. Seattle lost that. Now they're gonna get that back. In fact, Wilson needs to stop worrying about social media, and get all in like he was before. Same with any hold-overs. Only the hungry will win. Forget about which team has more talent.

Our new draft strategy then? :twisted:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hotchy":18na270c said:

I counted 9...

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Hotchy":1h26oed0 said:
It's a wrestlers' type of attitude.
So... prance about in undies and follow the script with the hopes that one day they'll write it so that you can hold up a freakishly oversized belt for the pants that you're not wearing?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1fidf50e said:
chris98251":1fidf50e said:

To some extent you are right but the NFL is on a totally different level. You ever see a spike in the end zone in high school or college? I've played in high school and college and (might just be my experience) the stars used their stroke to lead the team.

Seriously irritates me when I see a player make a great play and run away from his teammates (who want to celebrate with and for him) to make himself a spectacle.

Always really appreciated it when ML shook his O-Linemen's hands after a TD (Even though the irony of it is Lynch made the OL look better than it was).

olyfan63

Reaction score
DomeHawk":9duxlrud said:
Smellyman":9duxlrud said:
Everybody has a chip on their shoulder. Tired meme needs to die.

Here's another tired meme: "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

Cliches (and tired memes) all have one thing in common, there's a strong element of truth involved.

More useful version for many situations:
"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing poorly at first."

Now, in the case of Christine Michael , Germain Ifedi, and <your least favorite Seahawks O-Line member>, it IS a problem it they don't improve. This expression is not a license to suck forever.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seymour":2h3zse0p said:
Hotchy":2h3zse0p said:

Our new draft strategy then? :twisted:

"A chip on his shoulder" is still meaningful as a draft evaluation criteria, even if only as a counterpoint to phrases like, "Takes plays off.", "Desire appears questionable at times", "Struggles to master playbook".