Carp is better, Walter as nickel/PR & Bowie as starting RT

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
HawksFTW":hmxsw5jh said:
Bakergirl":hmxsw5jh said:
Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.

what

You don't read Cosmopolitan for your health tips?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
HawksFTW":sfwwhogw said:
Bakergirl":sfwwhogw said:
Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.quote]

what

I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry. What I was trying to say is, he's not a lost cause at this stage of the game. Weight loss can happen, and quickly if he puts the work in and eats the right way, and thankfully he has an army of professionals surrounding him who are trained to help him accomplish this goal.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2h5rn1v7 said:
HawksFTW":2h5rn1v7 said:
Bakergirl":2h5rn1v7 said:
Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.

what

I only look at the pictures.

But for real, what an odd statement above. The whole combo of women know this, actually buckling down, setting your mind to losing weight quickly, all of this stuff hurts my brain. Are men oblivious to weight loss? Do women not have the capability to lose weight if they actually buckle down and set their mind to it? So many questions unanswered.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Bakergirl":3jtsp60h said:
I'm speaking comparatively men Vs women, difference in biochemistry.

What makes you think this?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
HawksFTW":2i6v39ey said:
Sarlacc83":2i6v39ey said:
HawksFTW":2i6v39ey said:

I only look at the pictures.

But for real, what an odd statement above. The whole combo of women know this, actually buckling down, setting your mind to losing weight quickly, all of this stuff hurts my brain. Are men oblivious to weight loss? Do women not have the capability to lose weight if they actually buckle down and set their mind to it? So many questions unanswered.

Apparently you didn't see my other post.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Bakergirl":2ght7zau said:
Apparently you didn't see my other post.

No, I did. I responded above. What difference in "biochemistry" do you believe occurs, that makes men lose weight faster than women?

Bakergirl

Reaction score
HawksFTW":143bdm40 said:
Bakergirl":143bdm40 said:

Biochemistry. Difference in hormones, metabolic rate, difference in the way a woman's body is geared towards retaining weight (women are predisposed to retain weight naturally, it's the body prepping for potential children).

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Bakergirl":10ykvbnr said:
HawksFTW":10ykvbnr said:
Bakergirl":10ykvbnr said:

Biochemistry. Difference in hormones, metabolic rate, difference in the way a woman's body is geared towards retaining weight (women are predisposed to retain weight naturally, it's the body prepping for potential children).

Sorry, I was really just leading you on to see what you would say. The difference in weight loss between men and women is overblown. The only real difference when it comes to weight loss specifically is muscle mass and basal metabolic rates. That being said, if a woman sets her mind to it and actually buckles down, there isn't anything stopping her from losing weight just as fast as a man. We can talk about water retention, the affinity for a female body to retain fat, etc, but those are all things that with the proper diet can be mitigated and shouldn't ultimately affect true weight loss.

Generally what you find when people make these comparisons is that all things are not equal. An out of shape man still generally has more muscle mass than an out of shape woman. If you took a man and a woman with equal percentages of body fat, both out of shape, and put them on the same diet and exercise routine, where the caloric intake was equal for both people relative to caloric output, the difference in weight loss between the man and the woman would be almost negligible with water retention counting for most of it. While weight loss isn't my specific field of study, I have a BS in Biochem, with a PhD in Nutrition, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about.

Anyway, ultimately, all I was trying to point out was that it was a really odd way of expressing it. Why a woman would claim to know about a men's weight loss more than a man is somewhat confusing.

dunceface

Reaction score
Well this thread took an interesting turn down a sidestreet...good info tho

Bakergirl

Reaction score
HawksFTW":1v8m3pa7 said:
Sorry, I was really just leading you on to see what you would say. The difference in weight loss between men and women is overblown. The only real difference when it comes to weight loss specifically is muscle mass and basal metabolic rates. That being said, if a woman sets her mind to it and actually buckles down, there isn't anything stopping her from losing weight just as fast as a man. We can talk about water retention, the affinity for a female body to retain fat, etc, but those are all things that with the proper diet can be mitigated and shouldn't ultimately affect true weight loss.

Generally what you find when people make these comparisons is that all things are not equal. An out of shape man still generally has more muscle mass than an out of shape woman. If you took a man and a woman with equal percentages of body fat, both out of shape, and put them on the same diet and exercise routine, where the caloric intake was equal for both people relative to caloric output, the difference in weight loss between the man and the woman would be almost negligible with water retention counting for most of it. While weight loss isn't my specific field of study, I have a BS in Biochem, with a PhD in Nutrition, so I do have some idea of what I am talking about.

Anyway, ultimately, all I was trying to point out was that it was a really odd way of expressing it. Why a woman would claim to know about a men's weight loss more than a man is somewhat confusing.

I don't claim to know more. I was stating an opinion from my perspective and from the perspective of many of my female friends based on personal experiences. For example, a couple I know who were both overweight by a comparative amount they both went through a weight loss regimen with a personal trainer and dietitian and were very good at keeping to the program. He quite simply lost the weight faster than she did though they both put in the same effort. It took her about 3 months longer to lose the same amount of weight as he did. Caloric output aside there are differences in females versus males by way of hormones which do affect metabolism. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I'm just saying there are other factors besides just calorie intake and output that can affect the rate of weight loss.

On a side note it's great that you have that degree. Since my mom died I have been trying to figure out what to do with myself. I put my schooling on hold to care for her for the past 5 years...I'm actually looking at pursuing a degree in Exercise and Sport Science with an emphasis on Athletic training and nutrition. I would love to pick your brain some time.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Bakergirl":tgqp3n4o said:
I don't claim to know more. I was stating an opinion from my perspective and from the perspective of many of my female friends based on personal experiences.

Anecdotal evidence definitely has its place, just not in making definitive statements about something that can be scientifically verified.

For example, a couple I know who were both overweight by a comparative amount they both went through a weight loss regimen with a personal trainer and dietitian and were very good at keeping to the program. He quite simply lost the weight faster than she did though they both put in the same effort. It took her about 3 months longer to lose the same amount of weight as he did.

A couple of points: You are making qualitative statements from the outside. You have no real idea if she truly burned as many calories, despite her putting in effort. You also have no idea what their base fitness levels were, or what their basal metabolic rates were. I guarantee you there was a difference in at least one of these variables, more likely than not both. Again, anecdotal evidence doesn't really prove a point here.

Caloric output aside there are differences in females versus males by way of hormones which do affect metabolism. I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about. I'm just saying there are other factors besides just calorie intake and output that can affect the rate of weight loss.

Ultimately, this is incorrect. All true weight loss is simply calories in vs calories out. Water retention is more likely what you referring to, which isn't a result of caloric intake at all, and fluctuates greatly depending on lifestyle, diet, sex, etc. If that is your point, I will concede agreement. The rate at which men and women retain water is much different, and there isn't much working out can do about that. Yet at the same time, because those weight fluctuations due water retention actually average out over time, it isn't normally considered true weight loss. It is no different than a wrestler/boxer trying to make weight. There are lots of ways to trick the body into shedding water weight, but as soon as you put water back into your system, it comes right back. That doesn't actually afffect the rate at which you lose weight, is my point.

On a side note it's great that you have that degree. Since my mom died I have been trying to figure out what to do with myself. I put my schooling on hold to care for her for the past 5 years...I'm actually looking at pursuing a degree in Exercise and Sport Science with an emphasis on Athletic training and nutrition. I would love to pick your brain some time.

Definitely, shoot me a message I will help out as I can. I was more on the lab side of things for most of my career, and now I am a professor, so I can give you the wide view of things. I love talking about this type of stuff, and I am sorry if I came off as combative. I truly was baffled by that post, and made a quip offhandedly. You come across as intelligent, so I am sure you would do fine with any of this stuff. The only reason I commented in the first place, is because I like to correct misconceptions where I see them. I think you and I are on the same page for the most part. Cheers, I will stop hijacking this thread now.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
One thing that I believe does play into the weight loss difference is actual programming. If you are constantly dieting or starving yourself like woman tend to do more so than men, your body will actually try to store fat. Because woman more commonly diet than men when men do diet this could be one reason that men lose weight faster at least initially.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1payu1fn said:
One thing that I believe does play into the weight loss difference is actual programming. If you are constantly dieting or starving yourself like woman tend to do more so than men, your body will actually try to store fat. Because woman more commonly diet than men when men do diet this could be one reason that men lose weight faster at least initially.

You have to go many consecutive days without food, on a regular basis, for that type of survival fat storage to kick in. Missing a few meals here or there, as one might do on a diet, won't affect you that way even if you are constantly dieting.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think that was nwgamer's polite way of saying "For the love of God, will someone please start talking about the Seahawks again?"