Carp is better, Walter as nickel/PR & Bowie as starting RT

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hawknballs":4dnqy686 said:
Its funny this is top to bottom the most talented team the Seahawks have ever fielded by an indisputable long shot but people still go out of their way to rant and rip a few guys who haven't proven themselves just yet.

Quite true. And while the Seahawks are indisputably formidable with its base pieces, they could be crap-your-pants stellar if and when able to use its potential Cadillac pieces (such as Carpenter) who no longer need to be up on the mechanic's car lift or have otherwise turned a corner.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't get the lazy assertions. Sure he still looks big-- but heck so do alot of other good players in the NFL. All I know is what has been reported. From those reports we learned that A) Carpenter has spent the vast majority of the offseason in SEattle training with the Seahawks training staff.
B) That he's had a TREMENDOUS Offseason in the weight room and is arguably the strongest player on the team-- to Which Pete Carroll has stated that he wasn't that way when he came into the program, but that he's made significant gains in the weight room this offseason.

I'm very hopeful that Carpenter will come and be the physical force at LG that we've lacked for years. If that happens we'll have a top 5 OL and we'll have the strongest left side since Walt and Hutch, and on par with what SF has in Iupati and Staley.

sutz

Reaction score
I remember similar comments about Okung......and probably most OL in Seahawks history, or at least almost all first round OL. Players develop on their timeline, not yours.

:229031_shrug:

NYCoug

Reaction score
I find it hilarious how Carp/Moffitt have become the new Okung/Unger.

Carp is such a polarizing figure because he could either be the next Russell Okung or the next Marcus Tubbs. You've got the crowd who point to how out of shape he was when he entered the league, keep in mind his rookie season was the Lockout season so he couldn't have any contact with the team about his diet, conditioning, etc. Could he have done a little more to come in more fit, sure. Is he lazy because of that? Not necessarily. I remember when people thought Big Russ (Okung) was injury prone and lazy (remember Frank Omiyale stonewalling DeMarcus Ware in Week 2, leading some to ask if we even needed Okung at all? LOL good times), prone to false starts, and a man with especially brittle, even glass-like ankles... and now he's seemingly turned the corner *knock on wood* and is considered one of the better LT's in the game.

Another thing about him being lazy though and why I don't necessarily agree with that label for Carp is that he worked his ass off last season to get back for that Rams game. That was pretty damn heroic, and I know that I've seen pehawk shout Carp out for that but not many have. I think it took a lot of hard work and dedication and it sucked to see his season end the way it did. However, everyone with the team (and sorry guys, love ya sick bastards, but that's really the opinion that matters here) is still very high on him and still thinks he can turn this thing around. I think he will too, and I'm pulling for him to.

Moffitt on the other hand, I don't know who it was but someone here said the other day that he's got the personality of Robbie Tobeck and I agree and I'll also add that he's got the production of "early years" Max Unger. Remember when everyone thought Unger was an injury mess, couldn't hack it, and got ragdolled and manhandled too easily? Now look at Max! Boy he came a long way in a short time. People would love Moffitt's personality if he were an All-Pro. (actually, with the way some people feel about Sherman on here, I'm not too sure)

My point isn't that Carp and Moffitt are guarantees to be the next Okung and Unger. It's that it's still too early to give up on either of them because they still have the talent to turn things around. All that's missing from their game is consistency and hopefully both can find it this season and elevate their games to a new level. Moffitt's probably in a fight for a roster spot this offseason, that's just the nature of this organization, but I have faith in the big guy that he'll stick and have a breakthrough season.

Man, the competition is fierce for Official .Net Whipping Boy this offseason!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Carp will be a excellent LG and will show it ...at least I hope so. My trepidation is the knee issues not allowing him to get into good shape.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

As for Okung=Carpenter comparison. I can see that. But it ain't right.

Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2ywq1v5y said:
KCHawkGirl":2ywq1v5y said:
Stoned Cold":2ywq1v5y said:
James Carpenter. Maybe it was the draft day Saban shock when he sat at Engrams table and Carpenter was selected. Maybe its because I think he's an out of shape fat bastard and I laugh when Carroll says "game shape", like Carp even remembers what that means. He looked like he was sweating signing his contract on seahawks.com he was so fat. I don't know, maybe the fact the dude is always hurt and can never achieve game shape? Maybe its because he sucked as a right tackle, as Charles Barkley would say he was TURRIBLE! I also get the impression he doesn't want it. He reminds me of another SEC guy and former Seahawk...Chris Spencer. A guy who was great in college and had all the tools but was too stupid and lazy to utilize his talent. Carp better get it together quick because I'm not so sure the Hawks will pay him 1.5 million next year to hang out at the Golden Corral.

Rant over, done with this fool
You and Tical have such wonderful attitudes I wonder if you're going to fall over dead in February when we win in New York?

So you're saying our window is now open?

Stop stealing my joke.

NYCoug

Reaction score
bestfightstory":223ip39y said:
Moffit is no Unger. Unger has never been a Moffit. People who were ever down on Unger don't understand oline play.

Throw in Okung=Carpenter=Tubbs=BigDumbAlbinolookingOTfromWisconsinWithaNeckConditionMcIntosh and you have a valid comparison. All were/are Beasts with all the talent and power to excel, but all suffered injuries early in their careers. I don't think it is fair to hold serious injuries against a player. Not cool.

Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.

Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.

And very true about injuries. Never cool to hold em against a dude. You know damn well having a once-promising career derailed by injuries hurts the player 234782347234 times more than it could ANY fan. No matter how passionate you are.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I think the problem people have with Carp is that he was sold as being a starting caliber Right Tackle... and he just isn't. He looked damn good at Left Gaurd before he got hurt though. Yes a 1st round pick on a guard may have been somewhat over-priced considering the names that were still on the board when we took him; Jabal Sheard, Stephen Paea, Kyle Rudolph or Randall Cobb would have been really nice additions, there was also Dalton and Papaki left at that point too (but things worked out well for us at QB). If he can stay healthy and man that LG spot between Okung and Unger for the next 6 years, that's a bad ass left side and totally worth the pick IMO (though Sheard could have made for an awesome Leo).

As for the other part of the OP, I would LOVE it if Thurmond was named as the starting PR. Returning kicks makes a guy so open to injury, and Tate has become such an invaluable part of the offense, I'd hate to have him out there returning kicks when we could have a sacrificial fringe player like Thurmond doing it instead. and IIRC, Thurmond's hella fast.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I wonder how much frustration/exasperation would be directed at Moffitt's perceived ability (or lack thereof) if he had never done an interview on the RRR.

Paul McQuistan could be rolling into the VMAC every morning dressed as Ronald McDonald for all we know.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
NYCoug":2wxelbjl said:
bestfightstory":2wxelbjl said:

Way to bring it. Well said. Although you'll definitely be the first person I think of if Moffitt gets cut. Well, you and Moffitt's uncle, who is a really nice guy. The thing with Moffitt is, for all the talk about how he doesn't put in 110%, and doesn't take things seriously enough, he isn't an awful player. You would think that a player attempting to do this in the NFL would be broken to bits or a complete laughing stock when he's playing. Hell, he'd never see the field if he were that bad. Yet, Moffitt's play while inconsistent has been stellar at times and the offense has performed well with him in there before. Consistency is the key for John, maybe he actually does find it this year.

He isn't awful, by any stretch. I expect the guy to play in the NFL for ten years. But without improvement and consistency it won't be here.

NYCoug

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3q3j9dwy said:
NYCoug":3q3j9dwy said:
bestfightstory":3q3j9dwy said:

He isn't awful, by any stretch. I expect the guy to play in the NFL for ten years. But without improvement and consistency it won't be here.

Can't argue with that. Not with the competitive nature of this organization or with the already existing talent on the OLine. If Moffitt slips up and Seymour proves versatile, coachable, and reliable, Moffitt could be out of town. I don't think he rides off into the sunset just yet though.

uncle fester

Reaction score
warden":1sbvn1j5 said:
We have a seriously good dime package

Oh the potential... (if the whole secondary manage to make it through the season without injury)

Basis4day

Reaction score
NYCoug":2g4hhl6b said:
bestfightstory":2g4hhl6b said:

Okung/Carpenter/Tubbs/McIntosh... could you imagine what an unbelievably ugly, hideous monster you'd have if those 4 melted together like the Blob or something? Christ that thing would be nasty! Like Bastion Booger meets Rocky Dennis meets Sloth meets the Toxic Avenger.

And very true about injuries. Never cool to hold em against a dude. You know damn well having a once-promising career derailed by injuries hurts the player 234782347234 times more than it could ANY fan. No matter how passionate you are.

What amazes me is that fans think they can measure effort based on the 2mins a week he appears in the Real Rob rpt.

dunceface

Reaction score
NYCoug":3a4nu4vi said:

?
recolting.png

Bakergirl

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":39brbqng said:
To a degree, I understand Stone Cold's frustration with Carp.

From my knothole, Carp came into rookie camp overweight and out of shape. By my estimate he came in carrying 25-30 lbs. of excess fat for a 22-y/o offensive lineman. That's on him.

Yes, he got injured and he needed time to recover... twice. That's clearly not on him.

My frustration starts with the fact that he still looks to be overweight. I don't see evidence of a commitment to keeping his body ready to play NFL football. That's it... there, I've had my say.

I'm just disappointed in him thus far.

Good thing the off season isn't over yet isn't it? Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it. I'm not worried if Carpenter looks a little on the heavy side right now. He's got a lot of work ahead of him before the start of season and an incredible team of professional trainers working with him to achieve game ready status.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Bakergirl":25dar2wr said:
Here's my two cents...women know this because we see it every time a guy actually buckles down to lose some weight, guys have the capability to drop weight incredibly fast if they set their mind to it.

what