Can't stop the run, can't run the ball

FPD

Reaction score
I don't even think some of the bad D,s of the past or under Mora were this bad.

There are flashes of good play and players but no one seems to be on the same page, they get man handled and such sloppy tackling
You're absolutely correct! We have a few incredible players on this defense. It's just that these defensive players look like they are all doing their own things a lot of the time. Maybe it's just me?

OP
OP
R

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Impressive what an emphasis on the running game does for time of possession.

Time of Possession
CAR 39:16
SEA 20:44

It's not enough to just talk about the run game. Convincing execution by the Panthers showed the way. And, wasn't it just last year that we saw a number of analytic posers preaching that teams should pass on every down instead wasting snaps on run plays?
Great post... TOP and the run game run hand in hand as we have seen the effects of this.

Interesting to see if Carroll and crew can find a way to make a game of it with SF. Its going to help having Walker back if he is available. Its a must win game and i think the only way they are going to win it is if they can run the ball and control TOP.

They need to get some pressure on that young Qb and force him into some mistakes.

Its a tall order as that 49er D is probably the best D in the NFL. truthfully i dont see it happening as much as i would really like it to. But i NEVER put anything past Pete Carroll.

Thoughts?

cymatica

Reaction score
Impressive what an emphasis on the running game does for time of possession.

Time of Possession
CAR 39:16
SEA 20:44

It's not enough to just talk about the run game. Convincing execution by the Panthers showed the way. And, wasn't it just last year that we saw a number of analytic posers preaching that teams should pass on every down instead wasting snaps on run plays?
They tried to run and were getting stuffed more often than not, the run blocking sucks. On the other side of the ball, Carolina was facing the silk curtain, it would have been dumb of them to not keep running

TwilightError

Reaction score
The header of this topic says it all. My focus is mostly on the draft already as the issues with the rungame on both sides of the ball are so blatant. It’s not fixable within the season. But still it will be very interesting to see how Geno handles the next three games against very good teams. Those will mean a lot in the evaluation if it’s actually worth it to pay the man.

RiverDog

Reaction score
What the hell?? Defenses don't have to deal with Penny nor Walker, that's what "Defenses have figured out" duh!
First three picks? G-E-F-E-N-S-E >>Round Two>> second pick Seattle Seahawks goes after a Brute Running Back or knucke-dragigng Center, and then another RG with an ornery sombiotch attitude.
Geno needs a NASTY O-Line to be all he can be....That's what I call "Fine Tuning"
We haven't been running the ball well for the last 4 straight games. Vs. the Bucs, Walker got all of 17 yards on 10 carries. Following our bye week vs. the Raiders, he had just 26 yards on 14 carries. Obviously, not having Penny or Walker is a major disadvantage, but the problems with our running game run deeper than not having a bell cow running back to rely on.

I'm a little worried about Walker. He didn't look right even before his injury. Him and Geno got into it in the Raiders loss over a block he missed that caused a QB sack. I'm wondering if there isn't something else going on with him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I would say the Hawks are pretty much done unless they can find a way to fix it against top competition. I just dont see it.

SF is going load the box , stuff the run and go off on Geno. Not sure if Walkeris going to makeca difference because i think the issue is with the o line, i just dont think aspects of the O line are run blocking well.

Usually i am very optimistic but i just dont see it.. hope im wrong.. wouldnt put it past Pete and crew to find a away but they can't beat the Raiders nor Carolina its unlikely they are going to to do well against SF and KC..

Thoughts?
I'm not sure why the Niners would load the box to stop our running attack. You load the box to stop a running back like Derrick Henry or Saquan Barkley, not a Travis Homer. Doing so has its drawbacks, like having to go one-on-one with Metcalf and Lockett.

I wouldn't expect anything exotic out of the Niners on either offense or defense. If I'm Shanny, the focus would be to keep things simple for their quarterback and concentrating on not making any big mistakes on defenses, like a blown coverage, that would allow a lesser team to compete. They shouldn't have to blitz to get pressure on Geno. Nick Bosa has been unstoppable, is having a DMVP season.

Last edited:

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Yes stopping the run isn’t happening. But we were down to our third and fourth string running backs. We had a good run. Now they know what they need to do in the off-season. Will they do it? Who knows.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
can't stop the run
can't run the ball (although they are down to 3rd and 4th stringers)
QB throwing crap passes and missing open receivers
Pete wasting timeouts, challenges and horrific time management for several years

Yep, I'm feeling quite on the doom and gloom side today. It is what it is. The team is average, nothing more. For now.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I was half expecting the Hawks to not be mentally prepared for the Panthers game overlooking what they thought was a walk in the park and thinking about the 9ers game too much

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point. Looking past an opponent when you have a huge game coming up is nothing new. But THIS team isn't good enough to overlook anyone. Just my opinion

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
When did it become so difficult to find capable run-stopping d linemen? Either it really is that difficult, or we wasted a lot of draft picks and failed on most of the FA signings it seems.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Very good point. Looking past an opponent when you have a huge game coming up is nothing new. But THIS team isn't good enough to overlook anyone. Just my opinion
Truth. There was no looking past if it's the run D/run offense we're talking about; it was typical and we should expect it by now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You see it in college all the time. Oh well, on to Thursday. I'm gonna' do the grump thing today and get fired up for the game. That stadium is gonna' be rockin. Though yesterday did take a chunk of the excitement away imo.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another disappointing item of the 2022 Seahawks is that they have not taken advantage of their home games. They are 3-3 at home. All three losses are to teams that they very well should have beaten - Falcons, Raiders, and Panthers (all of these teams are sub .500). For the most part, they lost these games in similar fashion. Have to win the home games. In the past they were very good at home.

Last edited: