Breaking: Jared Allen back for second visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP53

Reaction score
seahawksny":28qhbpfs said:
dont like it
This team was built on signing and developing young talent, not players on verge of retiring. They tried that and the result was............

Antoine winfield- didnt make team
Braylon Edwards- Played decent, but half a season only
T.O. didnt make team
Kellen Winslow- didnt make team

I understand three of those four had either trouble with the law or were headcases and Allen does not fall into that category, but how many ten year vets has this team signed in last two years that has had a serious impact- ZILCH!!!!!!!!

And how much did any of those players hurt the organization?

Jared Allen is still a very productive player. The players you've listed were basically brought in on "kick the tires" type contracts.

Comparing Allen to that group is like saying the Hawks shouldn't have drafted Russell Wilson because Mike Teel & David Greene didn't pan out.

McGruff

Reaction score
King Dog":17byffp0 said:
This just got me all fired up. I love it. Get ir done if the price is right.
[youtube]e9fkJRkiM20[/youtube]

That dude on this line with our crowd?

Jared Allen was born to play on this team.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":qsyi9i2o said:
The depth is fine on the OL.

:rofl: That was a good one.

Lost Breno (starter) & McQuistan (often starting LG, and first backup lineman at LT last season on the depth chart), you want to cut Carp, and our depth is fine? Right away that is 3 players we need to replace just for roster numbers to keep the same number of O-linemen. That makes backups the starters at RT and LG and then there's scraps behind them.

Center and RG are the only positions on the line where our depth is fine, the other 3 spots need a depth upgrade badly after losing the 2 guys we let go. I don't trust any of the guys we have right now at LT if Okung goes down again. Watching McQuistan there was bad enough.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3hrrts0f said:
Sgt. Largent":3hrrts0f said:
Smelly McUgly":3hrrts0f said:
We can still cut Carpenter to give us a couple extra mill, too.

Cutting Carp only saves 1.4M against the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... carpenter/

Not worth it when he can still give you good depth, and start if needed. You'd have to pay a veteran that much to take his place on the depth chart.

I still think it would be worth it if that extra 1.4M will help us extend both Thomas and Sherman this offseason instead of deferring one.

We have Bowie and Bailey who can rotate in at that position and will probably take someone who can play that position in the draft, not to mention the guys we have on the PS that might get developed.

Without Breno and McQuistan, Bowie and Bailey are fighting to be the opening day starter at RG right now. Obviously we'll probably grab a cheap veteran guard in the next 2-3 months, and draft a couple guards in the draft.

I'll be with you on Carp if we can grab Yankey, Su'a Filo or Thomas in the draft. But right now? I can't let Carp go, our line's just too thin at this point in time.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":29xaec61 said:
Sgt. Largent":29xaec61 said:
Smelly McUgly":29xaec61 said:
We can still cut Carpenter to give us a couple extra mill, too.

Cutting Carp only saves 1.4M against the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... carpenter/

Not worth it when he can still give you good depth, and start if needed. You'd have to pay a veteran that much to take his place on the depth chart.

I still think it would be worth it if that extra 1.4M will help us extend both Thomas and Sherman this offseason instead of deferring one.

We have Bowie and Bailey who can rotate in at that position and will probably take someone who can play that position in the draft, not to mention the guys we have on the PS that might get developed.

Cutting Carpenter would be silly at this junction.

1. Sure he was hot and cold last season.
2. But for the first time in his career he finished the season.
3. This off-season marks the first time he can actually condition and workout.
4. He's entering his contract year, so I'm feeling he won't be lethargic about condition/working out and take it serious.
5. A healthy Carpenter at 315-320 would be a force to be reckon with.

The team would be better off extending Russell Okung to 7-8 mil per year and bringing his 11.24 cap hit down.

All it would take to extend Earl and Sherman this year is about 5-6 mil in combined prorated signing bonus.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is about Allen however, since O-Line has been brought up, we are not sitting all that well since Breno left. If Okung goes down, right now I think we are hosed. Cut NO linemen, and add in the draft, plus we had better hope the B & B boys progress.

oasis

Reaction score
The Seahawks have spoiled me with good news. Sign Allen! I'm gonna eat some chicken.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I want Allen. One of my favorite non-seahawk players ever...now could be a Seahawk.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
If we did happen to get ALLEN, could the FO use him to package up a deal for a future purchase?

jblaze

Reaction score
Apparently Allen is spending the day at the VMAC so we'll likely hear something before the end of the day is my guess. He heads back home tonight or tomorrow morning.

Allen will do great in this defense. No double teaming him and with the 12th man behind him, he'll be even more geeked up and play with that high motor.

Can't wait. DL will be set, now onto the Finley/Rice/Britt news and then onto the draft for OL and WR's.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He'd for sure be a nice addition to our pass rush and would be just awesome with our crowd.

I hope he sees this too, and they get a deal done soon.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
seahawksny":mvgcn8wr said:
Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.
It's a little myopic of you to focus on THE LAST TWO YEARS. Have you forgotten Lawyer Milloy? He is exactly the right comparison for Jared Allen, and was quite successful. He just gets conveniently ignored because it didn't happen IN THE LAST TWO YEARS of a 4 year regime.

drdiags

Reaction score
had2bhawk":3itgak24 said:
If we did happen to get ALLEN, could the FO use him to package up a deal for a future purchase?

It would have to be later in the season. Otherwise, why would a team trade for him now if they just could have just signed him? And the Seahawks would have had to sign him for just this season, otherwise any signing bonus spread across multiple years would come due this year. Just don't see this scenario for the Seahawks or another team making sense as a packaged deal.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
For all those who continue to kvetch about the OLine you have to have some faith that both Pn'J understand there are a few Oline needs.

There is fortunately good depth in this draft and also good quality extending deep into the draft, while there may be some risk that the drafted players simply are busts or fail to work out. The track record of the team in finding and drafting players at positions of need has been good. The prices of available talent will also be more cap friendly going forward and will allow the other re-signings to more easily occur.

Finding quality pass rushers is harder to do as the position is as much about talent as it is about attitude and technique and the really good quality pass rushers are rare birds. Allen is a special and rare talent and worth paying well, finding the cap fit for him is a tougher nut to crack.

drdiags

Reaction score
BlueTalon":v9k2etd9 said:
seahawksny":v9k2etd9 said:
Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.
It's a little myopic of you to focus on THE LAST TWO YEARS. Have you forgotten Lawyer Milloy? He is exactly the right comparison for Jared Allen, and was quite successful. He just gets conveniently ignored because it didn't happen IN THE LAST TWO YEARS of a 4 year regime.

Miloy was signed by the previous regime. If that means anything.

oasis

Reaction score
drdiags":3ea3ztpd said:
BlueTalon":3ea3ztpd said:
seahawksny":3ea3ztpd said:

Miloy was signed by the previous regime. If that means anything.
100802_lawyer_milloy.jpg

seahawksny

Reaction score
BlueTalon":36c2xsco said:
seahawksny":36c2xsco said:

He isnt ignored. They went 7-9 the first two years when they were rebuilding. Milloy was not on the roster when we went 11-5 and 13-3. No coincidence

HawkFan72

Reaction score
seahawksny":1rp3y42w said:
BlueTalon":1rp3y42w said:
seahawksny":1rp3y42w said:

He isnt ignored. They went 7-9 the first two years when they were rebuilding. Milloy was not on the roster when we went 11-5 and 13-3. No coincidence

you make it sound like he was the sole reason they didn't win 11+ games.

Status
Not open for further replies.