Breaking: Jared Allen back for second visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
drdiags":24lyo8i6 said:
BlueTalon":24lyo8i6 said:
seahawksny":24lyo8i6 said:
Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.
It's a little myopic of you to focus on THE LAST TWO YEARS. Have you forgotten Lawyer Milloy? He is exactly the right comparison for Jared Allen, and was quite successful. He just gets conveniently ignored because it didn't happen IN THE LAST TWO YEARS of a 4 year regime.
Miloy was signed by the previous regime. If that means anything.
Accurate facts mean a helluva lot. I'd blame the faulty memory, but the truth is I just posted in a rush without bothering to fact check.

Someone mentioned Raheem Brock earlier, probably a better comparison. Heck, Antoine Winfield is a good comparison also. He didn't make the team in the end, but that was more due to the excellence of our secondary and his choice to retire rather than be depth. Regardless of how it turned out, it was a great signing at the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3jmo21co said:
seahawksny":3jmo21co said:
Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.
It's a little myopic of you to focus on THE LAST TWO YEARS. Have you forgotten Lawyer Milloy? He is exactly the right comparison for Jared Allen, and was quite successful. He just gets conveniently ignored because it didn't happen IN THE LAST TWO YEARS of a 4 year regime.

Milloy was what 35 or 36 when he joined the Hawks? That's not even in the neighborhood of Allen's age. Allen's still a very productive DE, Milloy was signed as a stop gap until Pete found someone in the draft.

MVP53

Reaction score
seahawksny":1c61rave said:
BlueTalon":1c61rave said:
seahawksny":1c61rave said:

He isnt ignored. They went 7-9 the first two years when they were rebuilding. Milloy was not on the roster when we went 11-5 and 13-3. No coincidence

So, you only want examples of veterans that were signed in the last 2 years? Is it possible you're setting a particularly restrictive sample size just to try to prove your point?

BamKam

Reaction score
Quit comparing Winfield to Allen. Winfield was a 36 year old CORNERBACK going into last season. Jared Allen is going to be a 32 year old defensive end. Cornerback is probably the hardest position to play on defense and at 36 years old you can't keep up with the young fast WRs.

Jared Allen had 11.5 sacks last season as a 31 year old DE. He had 12 the year before when he was 30. And 22 when he was 29. Only 11.5 when he was 28. Sure he may not be 22 sack Jared Allen anymore but this isn't some old washed up dude who can't play. If the Seahawks get him for the right price then that is a HUGE addition to this defense. Do some people even watch other football besides Seahawks around here?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
seahawksny":dll21bsl said:
BlueTalon":dll21bsl said:
seahawksny":dll21bsl said:

He isnt ignored. They went 7-9 the first two years when they were rebuilding. Milloy was not on the roster when we went 11-5 and 13-3. No coincidence
In that case... it's not only myopic, it's dumb.

Context is everything. Carroll and Schneider took over a 4-12/5-11 team in disarray. After blowing it up, the first 7-9 season represented a significant improvement. The second 7-9 season represented a significant improvement over the previous one (around 100 point positive swing in point differential, and only one blowout loss).

If that is insignificant enough to completely disregard in your world, then I don't know what to say. But the fact is that Lawyer Milloy, late in his career, helped this team improve.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Jared Allen can be a highly-effective DE, especially on our D. The DL is disruptive at all positions and our secondary doesn't exactly let QBs stand around all day. Allen by himself seems to have enough to be a starting caliber DE on any team, but ours? He should be a hell raiser.

I get the idea that we have to be frugal, but some of you fellas need to get over this cheapo mentality. First, it isn't your money. Second, Paul Allen's cash gives JS and team a lot of flexibility to devise compelling contracts for players that don't put us in cap hell, especially since we have some stars we'll need to extend very soon.

At present, I don't think our team today is as good as the one that just won the Super Bowl, but Allen sure the hell solidifies our D.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
BlueTalon":6yigbl1b said:
seahawksny":6yigbl1b said:
BlueTalon":6yigbl1b said:
seahawksny":6yigbl1b said:

Context is everything. Carroll and Schneider took over a 4-12/5-11 team in disarray. After blowing it up, the first 7-9 season represented a significant improvement. The second 7-9 season represented a significant improvement over the previous one (around 100 point positive swing in point differential, and only one blowout loss).

If that is insignificant enough to completely disregard in your world, then I don't know what to say. But the fact is that Lawyer Milloy, late in his career, helped this team improve.

Kam Chancellor agrees with you

HawkHouse

Reaction score
MysterMatt":12odundq said:
Jared Allen can be a highly-effective DE, especially on our D. The DL is disruptive at all positions and our secondary doesn't exactly let QBs stand around all day. Allen by himself seems to have enough to be a starting caliber DE on any team, but ours? He should be a hell raiser.

I get the idea that we have to be frugal, but some of you fellas need to get over this cheapo mentality. First, it isn't your money. Second, Paul Allen's cash gives JS and team a lot of flexibility to devise compelling contracts for players that don't put us in cap hell, especially since we have some stars we'll need to extend very soon.

At present, I don't think our team today is as good as the one that just won the Super Bowl, but Allen sure the hell solidifies our D.

I have to agree with MM here, I've been mulling over the Allen thing and it's looking just the way he says. He'd be a beast in the system we have.

And you gotta spend money wisely but don't be too frugal, we're on a mission!

seahawksny

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1yw871dq said:
seahawksny":1yw871dq said:
BlueTalon":1yw871dq said:
seahawksny":1yw871dq said:

I dont disagree with you but what I am saying that frankly nobody seems to understand is that the approach to signing free agents in the first two years of the carrol Schneider era is obviously different than the last two. I will say it AGAIN..........name me a player in last two seasons that was towards the end of his career that they signed that made a significant impact.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Pete and John don't seem to have any problem bringing in veterans to compete. What i don't see them doing is paying a premium to those players like the speculation for Jared Allen. If they can bring him in for a manageable number it will still fall into their philosophy.

Lawyer Milloy absolutely made this team better through his mentorship of Kam and Earl. Earl credits Lawyer tremendously in response to questions about his rookie season.
To be fair, he was originally signed under Mora/Ruskell and then re-signed under Pete.

Robert Gallery was brought in for similar reasons to teach Tom Cable's blocking scheme.

Their philosophy is adapting as the players they chose in the early years have blossomed thus changing the needs or views on veteran acquisitions.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Hawks46":2glouby6 said:
We're not paying his price, but he would be a good addition. Think about it, we're not all that desperate, and he's visited everyone interested and still doesn't have a job.

I know we could front load a contract, but I'd rather not pay him 10 mil/year and have a chance at losing Sherman and/or Thomas. I think it also sends a poor message: we'll let some of our home grown guys go over a few million, but pay the new guy 10 million to just show up.

I agree with the poor msg part. I sure would hate for some hurt feelings to mess with the chemistry.
I know the players are Pros, but they are Human.
That being said, I wouldn't hate having him on the squad.

plyka

Reaction score
seahawksny":2fbblnvz said:
BlueTalon":2fbblnvz said:
seahawksny":2fbblnvz said:
BlueTalon":2fbblnvz said:
I dont disagree with you but what I am saying that frankly nobody seems to understand is that the approach to signing free agents in the first two years of the carrol Schneider era is obviously different than the last two. I will say it AGAIN..........name me a player in last two seasons that was towards the end of his career that they signed that made a significant impact.

They also never drafted or signed a QB that made a significant positive impact, before Wilson that is. So are you saying that they should have never attempted at bringing in Wilson and kept Hasselbeck as the starting QB?

Not to mention that you are only comparing one aspect of FA signings --in this case age. There may be 100 factors that are different, you've found 1 that is similar, especially when you throw in qualifiers like only looking at the last 2 years instead of their entire tenure. I'm sure if I looked long enough I could find a completely insignificant factor that was the same in all the bad FA signings --should we then use that as a reason to sign/not sign potential free agents?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawksny":1lwjsnmi said:
BlueTalon":1lwjsnmi said:
seahawksny":1lwjsnmi said:
BlueTalon":1lwjsnmi said:

Is it possible with all the players compiled on the roster and young, cheap talent they had they didnt see a need to fill one of those positions?

You're looking at a 2 season window in which we went to the playoffs, turned around and traded for one of the most dynamic players in the NFL to bolster the team, then won a Super Bowl...

Is that somehow different?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawksny":8vozhi4s said:
I will say it AGAIN..........name me a player in last two seasons that was towards the end of his career that they signed that made a significant impact.

The reason this argument is being ignored is not because we haven't seen it. It's because it does not apply to Jared Allen.

You invoked T.O. earlier as an example of signing a fading star who couldn't break onto the roster. I guarantee you that if T.O. had just finished one of his 1,200-yard, 10 TD seasons immediately before being signed by the Seahawks, you wouldn't be singing the same tune. Nor would T.O. be elsewhere right now. That is comparable to Allen's situation. He's just gotten done with a remarkably consistent streak of production and has shown no signs of fading. Could he magically fall apart a la Shaun Alexander when he steps into the VMAC? Yes. But there's also legitimate room to believe that he might not.

Let's get over our PTSD towards aging stars from the pre-Carroll era. That sort of thinking is far too rigid. Let our front office make the decision. They're certainly aware that aging players tend to be more of a risk.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 1m
Jared Allen is working on final details of a contract with the SB champion Seattle Seahawks. Barring unforeseen issues, he could sign today

Status
Not open for further replies.