Not open for further replies.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Steve2222":3km5up2v said:
seahawksny":3km5up2v said:
Steve2222":3km5up2v said:
seahawksny":3km5up2v said:
dont like it
This team was built on signing and developing young talent, not players on verge of retiring. They tried that and the result was............

Antoine winfield- didnt make team
Braylon Edwards- Played decent, but half a season only
T.O. didnt make team
Kellen Winslow- didnt make team

I understand three of those four had either trouble with the law or were headcases and Allen does not fall into that category, but how many ten year vets has this team signed in last two years that has had a serious impact- ZILCH!!!!!!!!

Lol at comparing Allen to all those players. Jared Allen is still an elite player in this league. The above mentioned were either pushing 40 or never elite.

Not comparing the talent. comparing the age and do we spend it on age vs youth. They havent spent on age, why start now. T.O. was elite, and Braylon first couple years was very good.

Jared Allen is 32. For a position like DE, that's not that old at all. TO was 38 years old. That's ancient, especially a position like WR and no longer elite at the time. Not to mention he was a cancer in every locker rom he was in. JA has never been accused of being a bad teammate.

Again....terrible comparison.

Terrible comparison? He said he would retire if the money wasnt there. Why would he be on verge of retiring? He even knows that he doesnt have much left in tank. Im still waiting for you or anyone to tell me who they signed with that many years on his resume that had a great impact. Notice how much better the D was without Leroy Hill this year? they probably dont go to the super bowl if Wright and Wagner didnt get the minutes they got.

You are neglecting the comparison to Winfield= There is a reason he played as long as he did. He was great at his position, never was a cancer in locker room, and probably still young enough to play. Why didnt he make the team?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He still has plenty left in the tank, and hasn't missed a game since 2007. Yeah, why would we want a guy like that on the Hawks? :roll:

seahawksny

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jekppsbg said:
He still has plenty left in the tank, and hasn't missed a game since 2007. Yeah, why would we want a guy like that on the Hawks? :roll:

because he said he would retire- He said it. Not me

Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Actually they did something similar with Raheem Brock and it worked

TheWalrus

Reaction score
seahawksny":2gt3mbdt said:
SoulfishHawk":2gt3mbdt said:

Why would we not want a guy like that? THey have signed NOBODY LIKE THAT IN TWO YEARS with the exception of T-Jack.

Im proving to you that Schneider's methodology has worked. You are SPECULATING that this will work, when we havent see that it has yet. Signing Allen whether it works or not, is an experiment we haven't seen in this regime.

Not accurate. Show me a quote from Allen himself that states he might retire if he doesn't get the deal he wants. Didn't happen. His agent floated that out there.

Seafan

Reaction score
davidonmi":3mb4z0mw said:

Anthony Hargrove and one other DL who ended up on IR. They will go after older vets if the price is right.

seahawksny

Reaction score
davidonmi":17pudb02 said:

I said, last two years. Not the year ( or years) we finished 7-9. that was their record in 2011.

He was great, I agree- but there had to be a reason he wasnt on teams that finished 11-5 a year later and won it all the year after that.

seahawksny

Reaction score
TheWalrus":2kke0i3g said:
seahawksny":2kke0i3g said:
SoulfishHawk":2kke0i3g said:

Not accurate. Show me a quote from Allen himself that states he might retire if he doesn't get the deal he wants. Didn't happen. His agent floated that out there.

Come on my friend. I mean someone on this forum keeps saying dont believe ANYTHING Adam Schefter says. I cant gauge what is true and what isnt.

kobebryant

Reaction score
seahawksny":23xuhsj0 said:
SoulfishHawk":23xuhsj0 said:

Did he actually say that?

Citation?

Lets not put words in peoples mouths.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kobebryant":2xjjnrba said:
seahawksny":2xjjnrba said:
SoulfishHawk":2xjjnrba said:

Did he actually say that?

Citation?

Lets not put words in peoples mouths.

He said he was happy to retire if he didn't get the deal he felt he was worth. More of a negotiation tactic than an actual threat in my mind.

Sac

Reaction score
seahawksny":333a9iu3 said:

If JS brings in Allen on a "Get a Ring" deal, and it worked, would you complain?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am laughing at guys like seahawksny who trust Pete and John to get us this far, but then suddenly think they can diagnose a huge mistake by those very same guys.

Yeah, they forgot what they were doing between Feb 2 and right now.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Barry Sanders retired in his prime. It happens. Especially in today's age where people are basically comparing playing football to being a Gladiator in Rome.

Winfield as well is not on the talent level as Jared Allen and was 35. Db/WR is a position that age catches up with you quick (look at Ed Reed. Hew net from #1 Safety in the league to being cut/traded mid season in same year within a 2 year time frame). DL/OL is a position where you can be productive into your late 30s.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18yowkz1 said:
Jared Allen is a DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER.
Get it done Hawks

We all want Allen here, but we're only 15M over the cap, so giving him what he wants (rumored to be in the 8-10M a year range) isn't prudent with trying to keep the big 3 in 2015 and 2016.

He's coming back for a 2nd visit, so that says the two sides are close. Hopefully we can get him on a two year deal in the 6-7M range. That should leave enough to sign draft picks, depth guys on the O-line and Earle's extension.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I can't see why he would have a second visit if he didn't intend to sign.

As a Niner fan all i can say is "sh*t". :D

He's not the exact same guy he was, but he doesn't need to be.

King Dog

Reaction score
This just got me all fired up. I love it. Get ir done if the price is right.
[youtube]e9fkJRkiM20[/youtube]

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sgt. Largent":3b2p0ucv said:
Smelly McUgly":3b2p0ucv said:
We can still cut Carpenter to give us a couple extra mill, too.

Cutting Carp only saves 1.4M against the cap.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... carpenter/

Not worth it when he can still give you good depth, and start if needed. You'd have to pay a veteran that much to take his place on the depth chart.

I still think it would be worth it if that extra 1.4M will help us extend both Thomas and Sherman this offseason instead of deferring one.

We have Bowie and Bailey who can rotate in at that position and will probably take someone who can play that position in the draft, not to mention the guys we have on the PS that might get developed.

The depth is fine on the OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.