Bird’s Eye View (An Evaluation of The Team's Moves) ...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":27l5c4e0 said:
Sgt. Largent":27l5c4e0 said:
As opposed to what he's been doing the past 3-4 years, babysit and do damage control with players who no longer wanted to hear his "Kumbaya."

The natural tendency of human behavior is to become cynical over time. This is what has happened to the veterans
of our team. Hence, we see the Hawks starting over once again.

Russell's not cynical, Doug's not cynical, B-Wagz isn't cynical.......................or if they are? They don't let it affect their professionalism and sense of team in order to achieve their team goals. They stay positive no matter what.

That's where I drew the line with Sherman, he couldn't control his mouth and was a negative influence on his team, and I can't stand for that............and I assume Pete and John felt the same, cause he's gone.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2ndai2sb said:
If I may....I do think narcissists are empathetic for only one purpose. They need others to admire them and have someone to berate as they go thru their actions. They have their friends that will support them as long as they are being taken care of....then they will be thrown under the proverbial bus. At some point in time, the narcissist will end up pushing too far and then will be spurned. I think that was what may have happened with mr Sherman. I do agree that it is just a matter of time...and then it will happen. I have dealt with a lot of these kinds of people.

Thanks for the identification of this.

Yes ... to a point you're right. I will say that many true classic full blown Narcissists have learned the behavioral traits of empathy. I've sat across from some who have flat out admitted to me that they have studied people ... and know exactly what to do. I've had some who will tell me that they know they need to maintain eye contact ... know that they need to nod their head ... say affirming phrases ... and so on. So, they have learned the behaviors of care ... BUT, they don't actually FEEL them. As I said, some are quite good -- VERY VERY good in fact.

You bet Narcissists NEED people to admire them. They NEED to be liked because that's how they get their Narcissistic Supply. They need others to validate them, tell them how cool/awesome they are, etc. They need that because deep down inside they have pretty low self esteem. But yes, they can and they will throw people under the bus. One of the worst things you can do to a narcissist ... is abandon them. They will freak out if they are left all alone ... and if they are -- they will often lash out/punish you. Again, why the 49ers? Think that's coincidental? Hardly. I almost guarantee you that was quite calculated. He flat out admitted that to Peter King ...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

I'm not saying that Sherman was the ONLY cancer on this team ... but I fully believe he was certainly one of them. You can deal with/put up with these kinds of guys as long as the positives outweigh the negatives. The second that scale starts to tip the other way though, that's when you need to seriously consider cutting ties. Huge kudos to Schneider for having the guts to actually do so.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
taz291819":2cqx700h said:
For the record, we don't know whose call it was. Could have come from Paul Allen.

Allen's not Jerry Jones, an owner who meddles in the day to day operations of the team, especially when it comes to personnel.

He hired Pete and John, and he trusts those guys to make the decisions because that's their world of expertise, not his.

rossob

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":22wjxfbf said:
SoulfishHawk":22wjxfbf said:
Well, nobody knows more than Sherm, just ask him, he'll tell you. :lol:

Precisely what I'm saying. As I said, don't take my word for it -- take his. He is about as textbook a case of Narcissism IMO as it gets.

I'd like to play devil's advocate here. There are a few reasons why I would not consider Sherman a classic narcissist event though he is pretty sure of himself and likes to give his opinion on almost everything.

1. He never said he is the most important part of the team. It seems to me like he just talks down to people he despises, but doesn't set himself as better than everyone, besides at CB which he backed up.
2. He thrives when being doubted, while narcissists need constant approval, praise, and attention from others, as they have doubts about their own worth.
3. He does not manipulate people. At least I would not define what he does as manipulation. I would expect something greater and more thought through than just lying about an incident, especially if you consider his intelligence i.e. GPA.

Also it seems to me like you were a bit biased when reading the article. Sherman says that he allowed Seattle to match the offer (which imo he wouldn't if he just really wanted to pay them back for doubting him).
Besides that, it is close to his home, and he doesn't have to learn a new scheme.

Sherman said: “I’m vengeful in that way.”

That’s what it sounded like. But I wanted to make sure. I asked him to repeat that.

“Vengeful,” Sherman said. “I love the fan base to death, and I loved playing there. It was such a great opportunity. I helped the organization get to a great place and stay there. But now it’s like I abandoned them. People are out there burning my jersey. Come on. I’m not the one who let me go. They let me go. I didn’t abandon anybody.”

That's all he said, and I would be a bit vengefull too in that case.

chris98251

Reaction score
LOL some of you guys, I bet all your ex wives hate you if your treating players that were hero's a year ago like this and have moved on. Sherman, Bennett, even guys that have held out in Kam and maybe Earl, hope you all treated the Ex better when she crossed her legs.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":1qa3ugi6 said:
LOL some of you guys, I bet all your ex wives hate you if your treating players that were hero's a year ago like this and have moved on. Sherman, Bennett, even guys that have held out in Kam and maybe Earl, hope you all treated the Ex better when she crossed her legs.

This makes no sense and is a terrible analogy. Sherman was no hero a year ago. Neither was Bennett.

Also.. you have no idea if anyone is married/divorced/etc.

LOL I guess?

Seymour

Reaction score
rossob":2i9icumv said:
SoulfishHawk":2i9icumv said:
He has been a distraction for a couple years now. Just because people like him, doesn't change the fact that he was angry, calling out coaches, players, refusing to admit he's ever wrong etc. It just flat out got old.
And it sounds like he got fleeced in that deal with Santa Clara.

Does it? Then why was no other FO willing to match the deal?

Keep reading....you will get there.

He also said he was looking to play with "a great QB" which eliminates 80-90% of the teams. (again Sherman's own mouth doing him no good).

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16ho0fz8 said:
chris98251":16ho0fz8 said:

This makes no sense and is a terrible analogy. Sherman was no hero a year ago. Neither was Bennett.

Also.. you have no idea if anyone is married/divorced/etc.

LOL I guess?

Yah, I was baffled by this as well. Like I can see what he was going for but this was clumsy at best.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1luhjri7 said:
I'm like Belichick, I coach, you shut your mouth and play, and if you don't you're gone. It's as simple as that. No one is ever bigger than the team, you never question the coach.

Unless you are Tom Brady... or Randy Moss... or Gronk...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
A-Dog":2tti8jzo said:
Sgt. Largent":2tti8jzo said:
I'm like Belichick, I coach, you shut your mouth and play, and if you don't you're gone. It's as simple as that. No one is ever bigger than the team, you never question the coach.

Dont remember these guys doing that...

I think you can/should feel comfortable questioning the staff, especially if you are the talent that Sherman is.

My issue was the manner he did and now how he's leaving doing the same thing. Makes me think what he did here as a "leader" was not for the team but was for him

adeltaY

Reaction score
A-Dog":2iwv920e said:
Sgt. Largent":2iwv920e said:

yeah. let's be honest, if Gronk does or says something dumb, he's not getting benched or cut. The Pats generally don't have as talented players as we do, so they can cut bait more easily. If DMac had an incident, he's not getting benched either.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Quite a bit different than arguing with the defensive coach, no? or holding a press conference to question BB?

Im just trying to understand your point.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":21auhhyt said:
Quite a bit different than arguing with the defensive coach, no? or holding a press conference to question BB?

Im just trying to understand your point.

Not only that, it didn't exactly take the entire team jumping up and down surrounding him plus another week to bring him back to planet earth. A few words with YOUR OWN position coach now and then is SOP.

Pete himself said "this was different, this time he just would not reset" about Sherman's tirade.

A-Dog

Reaction score
how is it different? I'm trying to understand your point.

Brady is publicly arguing with a coach on the sidelines, in a manner that is pretty much the same as Sherman publicly arguing with a coach on the sidelines.

My point is that the pats have players who argue with coaches and don't just "shut their mouth and play" and they weren't ejected from the team. Just like Pete, Belichick puts up with players being vocal, players questioning coaches, players saying stupid/controversial things, players known to have outspoken personalities, players publicly appearing disrespectful to coaches, etc.

Seymour

Reaction score
A-Dog":20ijte35 said:

Brady is publicly arguing with a coach on the sidelines, in a manner that is pretty much the same as Sherman publicly arguing with a coach on the sidelines.

My point is that the pats have players who argue with coaches and don't just "shut their mouth and play" and they weren't ejected from the team. Just like Pete, Belichick puts up with players being vocal, players questioning coaches, players saying stupid/controversial things, players known to have outspoken personalities, players publicly appearing disrespectful to coaches, etc.

Because going after Bevell is not even his own coach and should be none of his business!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
A-Dog":7b8fk0xe said:

I said in a previous post that I appreciated Sherman's willingness to stand up for the team. The issue is how he handled himself in the process. Calling out Bevell was divisive, just as Wilson calling out the D would've been.

I dont see anyone wishing Sherman had just "shut up and played"

A-Dog

Reaction score
Okay, so getting up in a coaches face on the sidelines, screaming at him, and being openly disrespectful and insubordinate is perfectly okay and acceptable as long as it's a coach on your side of the ball and not the other. That does not fall under the "shut your mouth and play" and "don't question coaches" rules that Sherman violated. Gotcha.

Yeah, Belichick does not put up with any lip from the players, you speak up on his team and you're GONE. :roll:

A-Dog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2i4h09pf said:
I dont see anyone wishing Sherman had just "shut up and played"

Did you miss Sgt. Largent's post that I quoted that you responded to that started this whole digression?

Latest posts