Bevell: "had the look we wanted" on the first 2pt conversion

Optimus25

Reaction score
Treghc":1f9tp9se said:
Basis4day":1f9tp9se said:
MontanaHawk05":1f9tp9se said:
From his presser today.

I seem to remember Wilson heaving a jump ball to a thoroughl blanketed Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. Don't see how that's an ideal look, especially against ARI's corners.

I might be wrong, though, so does anyone have the all-22 breakdown of the first 2-point conversion attempt?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when a player or coach refers to a "look" isn't that referring to the matchups immediately before the snap? I don't see how the execution of a play (a jump ball) changes whether they had the right look or not.

DING DING DING
We have a winner.

The presnap reads and looks were what looked right for the play. How the play was executed is an entirely different story and of little (if any) fault to Bevell. The amount of hatred towards Bevell on this forum is utterly sickening.

Guess what... when the players executed and didn't cause penalties, points were scored. Every. Single. Drive. That's not a play calling issue. That's an execution issue. People here need to stop acting like every player we have is a saint, incapable of doing any wrong. Reality is that many players aren't at the level of performance where they should be in order to be meeting these expectations we have of them. The O-line is absolutely horrendous the root of the entire issue. Wilson isn't having a very good year and is missing open receivers, even when he actually sees them and throws to them. Graham is uncharacteristically dropping some pretty easy passes. Lynch has been injured. It's a culmination of many things.

Execution is no fault of the coach. Or as you say little to no fault.
Hmmmmmm......ooooooook.

Guess what. We missed pathetically on two conversion attempts. Those are like possessions fwiw. So you're half wrong about the points scored thing. Converting one of those was partially Bevell s responsibility too.

Penalties suck, but one holding call shouldn't make attaining a first down seem impossible. There were times it literally seemed impossible for us to move the ball.

And penalties weren't a factor when we were literally a punt machine late at cincy, so what say you there. Couldn't even convert a first down when the whole team was crying for one. Every. Single. Time.

Bevell defense hinges on blaming the players or pointing to the super bowls, both of which are quickly debunked.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":2f62u022 said:
Bevell defense hinges on blaming the players or pointing to the super bowls, both of which are quickly debunked.

Bevell's best defense is Pete Carroll's endorsement, isn't it?

If people are going to put the blame on the coaches they should start at the top.

Treghc

Reaction score
Optimus25":ld82cd0x said:
Treghc":ld82cd0x said:
Basis4day":ld82cd0x said:
MontanaHawk05":ld82cd0x said:
From his presser today.

I seem to remember Wilson heaving a jump ball to a thoroughl blanketed Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse. Don't see how that's an ideal look, especially against ARI's corners.

I might be wrong, though, so does anyone have the all-22 breakdown of the first 2-point conversion attempt?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when a player or coach refers to a "look" isn't that referring to the matchups immediately before the snap? I don't see how the execution of a play (a jump ball) changes whether they had the right look or not.

DING DING DING
We have a winner.

The presnap reads and looks were what looked right for the play. How the play was executed is an entirely different story and of little (if any) fault to Bevell. The amount of hatred towards Bevell on this forum is utterly sickening.

Guess what... when the players executed and didn't cause penalties, points were scored. Every. Single. Drive. That's not a play calling issue. That's an execution issue. People here need to stop acting like every player we have is a saint, incapable of doing any wrong. Reality is that many players aren't at the level of performance where they should be in order to be meeting these expectations we have of them. The O-line is absolutely horrendous the root of the entire issue. Wilson isn't having a very good year and is missing open receivers, even when he actually sees them and throws to them. Graham is uncharacteristically dropping some pretty easy passes. Lynch has been injured. It's a culmination of many things.

Execution is no fault of the coach. Or as you say little to no fault.
Hmmmmmm......ooooooook.

Guess what. We missed pathetically on two conversion attempts. Those are like possessions fwiw. So you're half wrong about the points scored thing. Converting one of those was partially Bevell s responsibility too.

Penalties suck, but one holding call shouldn't make attaining a first down seem impossible. There were times it literally seemed impossible for us to move the ball.

And penalties weren't a factor when we were literally a punt machine late at cincy, so what say you there. Couldn't even convert a first down when the whole team was crying for one. Every. Single. Time.

Are you expecting 100% efficiency here? Guess what... 2 point conversions don't work most of the time. That's just simple statistics. That is without even mentioning that the drawn play does not mean it was executed properly. Where Wilson throws the ball is where Wilson throws the ball, not Bevell. It's Wilson's fault for forcing a lob to the middle of nowhere between Baldwin and Kearse. It's Kearse's fault for not breaking free.

Chances of converting a first down from 1st and 10 are about 66%. That's including penalties. Converting after 1st and 20+ is incredibly difficult. Yes, they should be able to convert one or two, but the odds are always against them in that situation. Blaming it solely on Bevell is adolescent reasoning and disregards the reality of how football is played.

I'm not going to say Bevell is perfect. He's far from it. Quite far from it. But the root of the offensive problems of this team lies with the offensive line first and the execution of everyone else second. Bevell would be third.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kearse was rerouted by the CB, yeah you could say he has grabbed a bit, but it also was within 5 yds which is where we can bump and impede. I think that's why you don't see a call. It was a low percentage attempt versus a guy that could win a jump ball or have a lead on a out route.\ away from a defender.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kearse was rerouted by the CB, yeah you could say he has grabbed a bit, but it also was within 5 yds which is where we can bump and impede. I think that's why you don't see a call. It was a low percentage attempt versus a guy that could win a jump ball or have a lead on a out route.\ away from a defender.

Tical21

Reaction score
Where Russell threw that ball, I can't think it was intended for Baldwin. To run like a semi-corner route from right there makes no sense, you just don't create the correct angles. I think he expected Jermaine to go straight to the back of the end zone, which also makes about no sense. I think we need Absolute to break this one down for us.

Bevell created some open receivers on this play, so the call I don't hold against him. However, on a critical play, the execution was far from perfect, and that does fall on the coordinator. Teams usually only have a couple of 2-point plays ready any given week, and will have practiced them throughout the week. For us to execute a two point play so poorly really reflects badly on the coordinator.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2d1wekic said:
Optimus25":2d1wekic said:

If people are going to put the blame on the coaches they should start at the top.

No his best defense is blaming everyone else but himself. Every player and every coach but him has taken responsibility. Hmm .

mrt144

Reaction score
Tical21":dkjye4ux said:
Where Russell threw that ball, I can't think it was intended for Baldwin. To run like a semi-corner route from right there makes no sense, you just don't create the correct angles. I think he expected Jermaine to go straight to the back of the end zone, which also makes about no sense. I think we need Absolute to break this one down for us.

Bevell created some open receivers on this play, so the call I don't hold against him. However, on a critical play, the execution was far from perfect, and that does fall on the coordinator. Teams usually only have a couple of 2-point plays ready any given week, and will have practiced them throughout the week. For us to execute a two point play so poorly really reflects badly on the coordinator.

That's a more subtle thing but only really becomes apparent on plays like this.

HawkGA

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":xrk9ec4r said:
RW is pretty poor at quick fade route throws, so I don't understand why we keep running them, it requires the team to run the play perfectly. I still much prefer quick slant throws.

I get the feeling if Bevell was New England's OC, he would call a read option with Brady and when Brady gets tackled because he's slow, Bevell would say they "had the look we wanted." At the point your players can't execute the plays you call, you should call different plays.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":25rqj9a1 said:
Recon_Hawk":25rqj9a1 said:
Optimus25":25rqj9a1 said:

No his best defense is blaming everyone else but himself. Every player and every coach but him has taken responsibility. Hmm .

Wrong. Bevell has said many times that he's got to do a better job calling plays and making sure he's putting guys into a position to succeed.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1xajyv4x said:
NFSeahawks628":1xajyv4x said:
RW is pretty poor at quick fade route throws, so I don't understand why we keep running them, it requires the team to run the play perfectly. I still much prefer quick slant throws.

I get the feeling if Bevell was New England's OC, he would call a read option with Brady and when Brady gets tackled because he's slow, Bevell would say they "had the look we wanted." At the point your players can't execute the plays you call, you should call different plays.
Well that would be a weird feeling that you would have.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":3hhazy33 said:
Where Russell threw that ball, I can't think it was intended for Baldwin.

Bevell actually said the throw was to Baldwin, who was 3rd option on the called play. The throw was supposed to be to the inside seam. We've completed TDs like this before to Doug (last year's Carolina and Philly games come to mind). But you're right, based on how Russell threw it, it's hard to draw that conclusion. The fact that the the throw looked like a semi-fade to the corner highlights how bad it was thrown, and I think you have to put that on the QB. Ultimately, everyone else did their job, and we've completed passes like this before.

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21hfg932 said:
lukerguy":21hfg932 said:
DavidSeven":21hfg932 said:
Didn't Bevell say Russ went down to the 3rd target on the called progression? If you're upset with who was actually given the opp, I don't think that goes on the playcall.

Nevertheless, you can wring your hands all you want, but there are good options all over the field on this play. The ball is literally thrown to the one place where no one can make a play on it or reasonably draw a foul.

The ball was thrown within 1 second of the snap, you can't make three progressions in 1 s.. It's hard enough for elite QBs to make 3 reads in 3 seconds.

Pre-snap read based on how the defense is lined up.

1) A progression is a football term used to describe a QB making a series of reads IN play. If it's done at the LOS it's not a progression but rather just identifying who his first progression will start with once snapped.

2) If Russ lined up and saw Graham ISO (1v1) on a small DB with inside leverage and decided to throw over to a crowded group of WRs, then he's not nearly as intelligent as I thought. There's not reason to come off of that "progression" as you called it....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
lukerguy":37z4emzu said:
DavidSeven":37z4emzu said:
lukerguy":37z4emzu said:
DavidSeven":37z4emzu said:
Didn't Bevell say Russ went down to the 3rd target on the called progression? If you're upset with who was actually given the opp, I don't think that goes on the playcall.

Nevertheless, you can wring your hands all you want, but there are good options all over the field on this play. The ball is literally thrown to the one place where no one can make a play on it or reasonably draw a foul.

The ball was thrown within 1 second of the snap, you can't make three progressions in 1 s.. It's hard enough for elite QBs to make 3 reads in 3 seconds.

Pre-snap read based on how the defense is lined up.

1) A progression is a football term used to describe a QB making a series of reads IN play. If it's done at the LOS it's not a progression but rather just identifying who his first progression will start with once snapped.

2) If Russ lined up and saw Graham ISO (1v1) on a small DB with inside leverage and decided to throw over to a crowded group of WRs, then he's not nearly as intelligent as I thought. There's not reason to come off of that "progression" as you called it....

No need to be didactic about terminology. This is direct from the OC's mouth, not an assumption on my part. He said the ball was to Baldwin, who was the third option when asked what the progression was. The only conclusion to draw based on how it played out is that Russell elminated the first two options based on what he saw pre-snap. Whether you want to call that part of the "progression" or not is your business, but it really has no impact on the substance of my post.

Listen to his press conference from this week.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":app998cf said:
Anthony!":app998cf said:
Recon_Hawk":app998cf said:
Optimus25":app998cf said:

Wrong. Bevell has said many times that he's got to do a better job calling plays and making sure he's putting guys into a position to succeed.

really great now please provide a link, because I have never heard it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":lcfqww57 said:
Recon_Hawk":lcfqww57 said:
Anthony!":lcfqww57 said:
Recon_Hawk":lcfqww57 said:

really great now please provide a link, because I have never heard it.

I've got no reason to make this up. Bevell host a weekly press conference with local media that you can find on Seahawks.com if you want to search through it. Unless you are watching these weekly these quotes won't show up elsewhere because basically the cliche coach speak of "I've got to do my job better" doesn't get attention that honest answerers to questions of why a play doesn't work will get because the way the media can turn a simple answer into controversy (i.e. pro football talk).

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3jyoy58q said:
Laloosh":3jyoy58q said:
MontanaHawk05":3jyoy58q said:

Looked to me like Kearse was held...

xAfJZHM.gif
Thanks Laloosh. That was a blatant hold. WTH.

The refs seemed to decide to call everything tight on us and ignore many of the same things against the Cards. Intentional or not, the film doesn't lie.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2cpc9ubu said:
Tical21":2cpc9ubu said:
Where Russell threw that ball, I can't think it was intended for Baldwin.

Bevell actually said the throw was to Baldwin, who was 3rd option on the called play. The throw was supposed to be to the inside seam. We've completed TDs like this before to Doug (last year's Carolina and Philly games come to mind). But you're right, based on how Russell threw it, it's hard to draw that conclusion. The fact that the the throw looked like a semi-fade to the corner highlights how bad it was thrown, and I think you have to put that on the QB. Ultimately, everyone else did their job, and we've completed passes like this before.
The pass is bad. But is it as bad as it looks?

look at the play, if the play is a seam, and the fact that Baldwin's first look to Wilson is over his right shoulder would indicate that it is, then that route is covered.

Baldwin ran the seam, hard to ding him for anything on the play. But if his first look to Wilson is over his left shoulder, away from the DB who is taking away the seam, that play has a better chance.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If Baldwin was third in the progression, who were the first two? As lurker said, passing on Graham was probably a bad move that sounds like it might be on Wilson.

That said, holy crap is the middle of the field open. Marshawn is running out toward Graham's side and then there are 3 receivers on the other side. Looks like the receiver out the widest is working his way to the middle but no way is he getting there unless the play breaks down. The field is already small when you're at the goal line. Perhaps Bevell should consider using all of it.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It also looks like Kearse and Baldwin are running the exact same route right next to each other. I'm no expert, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.

Latest posts