Fire Bevell (and Cable): Stat Edition

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2k004ai9 said:
SomersetHawk":2k004ai9 said:
Also, our offense at the minute is not good enough to wear a defense down, it's why the Rams tee'd off on us all game, we have to adapt that philosophy, a little like we did down the stretch last year wear we set the tone on offense and scored the majority of our points in the first half of four of our six wins to close out the regular season.

You're right, it's not............but why is everyone blaming Bevell instead of the obvious reasons the offense stinks.

- Russell's hurt
- Rawls is coming back from a major injury
- Michael can't be trusted with the ball, and has to be told 2-3 times a play where to line up
- We don't have one TE that can block
- Arguably the worst O-line in franchise history
- WR's drops and now injuries all across the unit

Here are the facts, when healthy and an cohesive O-line the Hawks were the #4 offense in the league last year, with Bevell. This is for a team that runs the ball and spends most of it's salary cap on the defense.

Is Bevell the best coordinator in the league. Nope, but this if football, everyone keeps trying to blame one part of a much bigger problem.........and from what I've seen so far this year? Bevell is the least of this offense's problems. I'd rank the problems in this order.

1. O-line is atrocious
2. Russell's ankle
3. RB dysfunction
4. Penalties and missed assignments
5. Ifedi's injury
6. WR drops

You gotta get down to 7 or 8 on my list before you get to the playcalling. Cause the FACT is when this offense is healthy and rolling it's one of the top units in the entire league. Again, with Bevell.

One could argue these points for this season sure, but what about the last 3 seasons? 4 seaons actually, but i'll give 2011 a pass since it was RW's rookie year. But the fact is our offense has gotten off to a extremely slow start in most games and every season, since RW got here. Do I think RW and the offensive players are to blame, no because I think they're constantly being set up to fail. When you're constantly in 3rd in long situations, your success rate is going to drop. Some of that can be blamed on the players, I put most of that blame on crappy game planning and play calling (Bevell), and no discipline being taught by Caroll. (Flame all you want).

Quiet as it's kept, this pathetic first half offense is not a new thing, it's been going on ever since Caroll and Bevell got here. Not a knock on either of them perosnally, but it does make one question their offensive philosophy?

It was one thing to have a run, run, pass with a crappy O line when Lynch was here, but he's not here anymore and we still have a crappy, arguably crappier O line, and we're still trying the same attack?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":i4az92zp said:
That philosophy seems to need some tinkering.

Now you're getting to the heart of the real issue IMO.

it's not Bevell, he and Russell are simply running the plays and schemes how Pete wants his offense to work.

I agree now that Lynch is gone and our O-line is in shambles that Pete needs to stop being so stubborn with his "we wanna be a pound the rock ball control make a few explosive plays per game" type of offense.

THIS is the major issue, and why we continually struggle at the beginning of seasons, as well as why we let bad teams hang around. Pete wants to trust his defense and not risk turnovers by the offense with the playcalling.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I find it really difficult to put all the blame on one man. How much of the offensive struggles is really his fault? Shouldn't we look at Cable for putting forward a sub-par line once again? Is Pete to blame for using a 'wearing out the defense' strategy with C-Mike and a recovering Rawls? Or is this on the players? Is Wilson just not as good as we think he is? Are his receiving targets regressing? Are the linemen just not giving it everything they got?

I feel like there's just to much going on to put it all on Bevell. If we barely score again against the 49ers because of multiple failed bubble screens then it might be time to get rid of DB but I think we're jumping the gun a bit right now.

JimmyG

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":ul2k00xs said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/pfref/status/775104277031292928[/tweet]

Stats don't just tell one story, and Russ's incredulous 2nd half and 4th quarter comeback record should both stand as testament to his clutchness, but also to the detriment of our offense's inability to function through the first part of the game.

Sure, we like to 'feel teams out' and all that crap, but without the best defense in the league, there's no way we achieve this.
I can't tell if your last sentence is alluding to this or not, but... on the topic of comebacks: this also has to be attributed, to some extent, to the defense. Clutchness obviously matters, but clutchness even being relevant is dependent on your defense keeping you in the game. Jameis Winston doesn't have the opportunity to engineer a last-minute, game-winning touchdown drive when his team is trailing 7-40 in the 4th quarter.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Why does our offense have slow starts still. Have the same qb and off coordinator. Wr's have been here for years. I mean really why can't they figure things out yet?

Oh it's because the system sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pete is never going to change his philosophy on a ball-control offense and a turnover-prying defense. Even the most recent Johnny-come-lately Seahawk fan should realize that.
And I don't find that to be an indictment on his lack of imagination. He'll tweak the offense in the confines of his system while scheming to win the turnover battle on defense and we'll sizzling again.
And for the poster saying we rely on Russ too much, I can only shake my head. His improvisational skills are what makes him the best QB in the league, so why wouldn't you encourage him to SAFELY turn to that athleticism from time to time to keep defenses honest?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
So, the crux of this supposed analytic breakdown is basically that the good stats are all because of Russell, and the bad stats are all Bevell's fault, except when they're Tom Cable's fault.

Really enlightening stuff here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ftrtv2r said:
Pete is never going to change his philosophy on a ball-control offense and a turnover-prying defense. Even the most recent Johnny-come-lately Seahawk fan should realize that.
And I don't find that to be an indictment on his lack of imagination. He'll tweak the offense in the confines of his system while scheming to win the turnover battle on defense and we'll sizzling again.
And for the poster saying we rely on Russ too much, I can only shake my head. His improvisational skills are what makes him the best QB in the league, so why wouldn't you encourage him to SAFELY turn to that athleticism from time to time to keep defenses honest?

The subtle digs at fans who never played in the NFL or don't remember watching Herrera kick field goals get a bit old.

But.. you're suggesting that a ball control offense and turnover-prying defense are Pete's philosophy. Yet, we aren't doing either of those things. Is it coaching? Personnel? Because if neither are changing than the philosophy needs to.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
No one is saying by ANY means that Bevell is solely to blame, but a list of 7 reasons of our offense not working and offensive strategy is not on that list is totally inept. We have had an issue with slow starts in games and seasons for 5+ years. Other years Russ's ankle WS fine, we had pro bowlers and veterans on the OL, lynch running the ball great etc.

What is the lowest common denominator in all these seasons of slow starts? What is the ONLY common variable? Offensive game planning.

Never was it the only reason as there are ALWAYS other variables like injuries, lack of personnel, just bad luck, strength of schedule etc.

But to seriously not be able to recognize a pattern to a consistent problem with our offense is very shortsighted.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":dxaer277 said:
So, the crux of this supposed analytic breakdown is basically that the good stats are all because of Russell, and the bad stats are all Bevell's fault, except when they're Tom Cable's fault.

Really enlightening stuff here.

Cheers dude, glad you enjoyed it. :irishdrinkers:

In defense of your criticism and as with most of my intentions, the perception of what my post would be was killed by the reality that it was taking too much time but I didn't want the stat-gathering to go to waste.

It was actually pretty interesting identifying a few trends that seemed pretty paramount to our success or failure, but I stuck true to the title and neglected these in favour of bashing our wanky coordinator.

In summation, I don't think either of them are smart enough to run an offense, however it would be interesting to see if we could replicate any of last seasons success once we get Rawls healthy and Ifedi back.

Still, DB does some seriously stupid shit, a lot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
johnnyfever":2r417uwj said:
But to seriously not be able to recognize a pattern to a consistent problem with our offense is very shortsighted.

Or not recognize that this has been a top 10 offense the past two years, #4 last year.

You guys are applying a pattern that doesn't exist when taking account the only thing that matters, the entire season.

You also are criticizing the philosophy, not the play calling. Of which is Pete's, not Bevell or Russell.

So if you don't like slow starts, conservative play calling and a QB running for his life 80% of the time unable to make plays because our coach and GM refuse to spend money on the O-line, then blame the right people.

lukerguy

Reaction score
My primary issues with Bevell is the vanilla play design. I feel as though the calls are slightly predicable by nature, especially on the goal line. We have had notoriously poor red zone play since last season. You rarely see misdirection in the play call on the goal line.

Did anyone watch last night? The Eagles ran a really great play on the goal line (4th and goal from the 2).

Formation: single back trips left

They had Josh Huff come in motion as if he were taking the ball on an end around from the QB (a play which worked in pre- season by simply handing off to Huff). However this time they pulled their guard left and pitched to Mathews and he was able to gain the end zone by a few feet without needing to dive. It actually looked like the End around was there again, but from this formation and motion you could hand off to the WR, pitch with misdirection or call a running play up the middle, or play action to RB and throw.

I think the Seahawks could use a lot more pre-play motion and misdirection to create confusion to the defenders.

The play starts at the 1:00 mark. When was the last time you saw a goal line play which resembles this in the slightest?
[youtube]gUfnrYnqdQY[/youtube]

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1n99mimc said:
.........you can't continue to build an O-line around Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls whilst hanging our best and most expensive player, out to dry

I know it's not their intention to get Russ hurt, but when your O-line guy has never coached an above average pass blocking line it's just dumb to leave the health of our most important player in his hands, or Sowell's, or Webb's...........
This!!
The offense didn't click until we got relatively 'pass happy' last season so why are we bringing in other teams' garbage to protect a once in a generation QB? I just do not get it. C'mon Pete, you can win without a run oriented approach because of who your QB is.

Somerset: First of all, good post man and thanks for the effort. IMO you made a better case for finding a new o-line coach, one who does a much better job teaching pass pro, than you did for replacing Bevell. I think who we have trying (and too often failing) to protect Russ is a larger part of the problem which falls directly on Pete and John and their approach and cap expenditures. But, Cable's lines have never been great at pass pro either and it appears that's not a coincidence.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1mhscrbu said:
johnnyfever":1mhscrbu said:

Or not recognize that this has been a top 10 offense the past two years, #4 last year.

You guys are applying a pattern that doesn't exist when taking account the only thing that matters, the entire season.

You also are criticizing the philosophy, not the play calling. Of which is Pete's, not Bevell or Russell.

So if you don't like slow starts, conservative play calling and a QB running for his life 80% of the time unable to make plays because our coach and GM refuse to spend money on the O-line, then blame the right people.

What was the offense ranked the first 7 games of last year BEFORE they had a big coaches meeting and changed their gameplanning to take pressure off of the OL. Pet DID have to change his philosophy because of the decisions he and JS made concerning cap and lack of spending on O linemen.

Also, with this level of talent I am not OK with number 4. 4th place is the loser of the conference game. We have a limited timeframe with this squad to rack up the lombardis, and they are very capable with who is on the team right now to do it (except Sowell, that dude isn't good enough for a pickup game).

I have watched this team since 85 (I was 10) lose and win, and have never been as excited as I am for the Carroll era. I have never been a fan of another team (except the bears the superbowl shuffle year, but who wasnt) even when we were absolutely atrocious.

Teams ALWAYS have to deal with adversity. Teams dealing with injuries are a part of this game as much as laces on the football. You HAVE to be able to strategize with the personnel you have, not that you wish you had.

You are right about Pete having to tweak his philosophy a bit to fit his personnel, just as he did at the end of last year. He just shouldn't wait half the season to do it this time.

I'm not calling to fire anybody. Pete and Bevell have shown he can implement a plan that works. I'm just saying they need to get to it NOW, not a few games from now.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":znhx9i81 said:
johnnyfever":znhx9i81 said:

I think you've nailed it here as the philosophy is the source of the frustration for many and its simply not going to change no matter how much some might hate it.
I get that some call out some specific play calls but Hindsight is 20 20 and everyone makes mistakes. I as well as many here couldn't believe we did not run the ball in with Lynch and I thought it was a terrible time to get creative but in all the frustration you can become myopic and miss the big picture and that is our offense has been darn good these last few years.

The original points are an overall picture and really don't point to Bevell specifically at all really and a few others don't seem even relevant to me. Such as the 24 point scored against record.

sdog1981

Reaction score
As we have seen now we have a slew of fire Cable/Bevell threads that we might want to consider having a website dedicated to that topic.

My point is this. I don't think these guys spend a lot of time talking with each other or have a clear cut "top dog" to sort things out. For example, Tom Cable has stated numerous times that he doesn't like all the O-linemen coming out of college due to the spread offenses in the college game. Then on Sunday I see this Seahawks offense lined up in shotgun almost 80% of the time. They run out of the gun, they throw out of the gun, they run 5 wide. All of these things are indicative of a spread mindset that Bevell is trying to run. So what is up if this team wants an Oline that is a meat grinder why is the team almost never lined up with that type of look. The first part of the Bevell era the Seahawks were running 21 or 22 personnel (2 backs 1 TE and 2 backs 2 TE) An almost pure power run scheme with a lead blocker. Now, this team is looking like some of the running spread teams in college football Ohio State, Auburn, Clemson. They almost never run with a lead blocker and they are running 11,12,01 personnel groups. Who is the voice on the offensive side of the house? Look at some of the most efficient offensive teams in the NFL the teams that are at the top of 3rd down conversions and red zone. They have a plan for every aspect of the offense. This team looks like disjointed on offence the Oline is almost a team unto its self.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sr5c1ot said:
johnnyfever":2sr5c1ot said:

Yeah, last couple of years at least slow starts have been assured by their "approach" to the OL which involves replacing 3 players (at a minimum) at once on the line.

As soon as Okung walked our offense was doomed to look like garbage for 6-8 games. That's just how it is. I wasn't at all in love with Okung's health, but you just knew they had no plan for what came next.

They don't need to keep everyone. They just need to spread out the defections so that we're dealing with 1 or 2 new guys at once. Breno or Okung wouldn't have killed the cap, and IMO that money would be way better spent than paying Graham to block, which is what Graham must do because our tackles are awful.

Fade

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1mnmxttd said:
STAT #1

There's a crazy stat that gets thrown around that gets attributed to Russ: Only once have we won when the opponent scored more than 24 points (not an unbelievably high score given the average losing score in the NFL is 18). That stat absolutely has to be at least shared by Bevell (if not solely attributed him) and his 'schemed' slower starts.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ThomasGower/status/745397038188224512[/tweet]

The win came against Pittsburgh last season when we beat them 39-30. And in typical rabbit out of a hat fashion we amassed 0 points in the first quarter and went into the second half behind before Russ hit Doug for 2TDs in the last 8 minutes as we put up 19 4th quarter points to win it.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/pfref/status/775104277031292928[/tweet]

Stats don't just tell one story, and Russ's incredulous 2nd half and 4th quarter comeback record should both stand as testament to his clutchness, but also to the detriment of our offense's inability to function through the first part of the game.

Sure, we like to 'feel teams out' and all that crap, but without the best defense in the league, there's no way we achieve this.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ThatBayleeGirl/status/562097171479003137[/tweet]

Bevell riding on the coattails of the defense STAT #2 (For those who throw out the 'super bowl win' argument in defense of DB)

In our Super Bowl winning season, we allowed 14.4 points per game, pretty nuts! The 10th best defense that year (the Pats) gave up over 21 per game. Say that we had the 10th best defense that year (still comfortably above average), we'd have gone 8-8 if you adjust the point difference.

Of course, that argument is futile, you can't account for what would have actually happened, and Russ may have had to pull out some rabbits a bit sooner. But let's just recap some of those would-be-losses to find out what really went down.

Week 1, Carolina:
Russ throws a late 35 yard TD pass to Jermaine Kearse after we put up 6 points in the opening 3 quarters.

Houston Week 4: Down 20-3 at the half, we could get next to nothing going on offense aside from some strong running from Lynch and neat scrambling from Russ (who could only put up 123 yards through the air). In the end, we needed a Richard Sherman pick 6 to win that game.

Tennessee Week 5: We went into the 4th quarter level, were helped out with a Richard Sherman pick, and eventually pulled away late with Marshawn getting to 2TDs on the ground.

St Louis week 8: 139 yards through the air yet we somehow pull it out 14-9 as Russ throws for 2TDs.

Tampa Bay week 9: Down 21 points to the 4-12 Bucs (with neither the defense or offense covering themselves in glory), a Russell Wilson hurry-up drive led to a Doug Baldwin TD with less than 2 minutes left to tie the game. A Hauschka FG seals it in overtime.

Notable mentions to a couple of really ugly offensive performances in losses against the 49ers and the Cards following this, where we amassed 19 and 10 points respectively.

In too many instances the gameplan goes down the crapper and Russ, Lynch, the defense, or a combination of all three end up carrying the team through.

We win in spite of Bevell, not because of him.

When Marshawn walked, Cable should have too. The man's given us great success in the running game, and his style blended pretty terrifically with Marshawn's, but you can't continue to build an O-line around Christine Michael and Thomas Rawls whilst hanging our best and most expensive player, out to dry

I know it's not their intention to get Russ hurt, but when your O-line guy has never coached an above average pass blocking line it's just dumb to leave the health of our most important player in his hands, or Sowell's, or Webb's.

STAT #3

A QB was sacked an average of two times per game last season (2.3 to be precise) and unsurprisingly the Seahawks allowed more than average, with only five teams allowing more than us (we kept some high level of company with the Jags, 49ers, Titans and Browns being four of those worse off than us).

Admittedly, through the first half of the season Russ had among the slowest release of all QB's (only a handful were slower), and whether you attribute this to Russ's cautiousness, our wide receivers not getting open, or the scheming (or all three) this stat corrected itself as from week 10 onwards Russ was slinging the ball out slower than only three QBs in the entire NFL. He was probably closest to Brady from the pocket, with his scrambling ability negating an even faster average snap-to-throw time.

In keeping with Russ's quicker release, our average sacks per game came down to the league average, and we even managed a sack-free game against the Baltimore Ravens. Woot woot!

Russ's pocket ability mixed with his houdini-like escapability should see us consistently near the bottom of the sack-rate, yet if we're picking holes we were still only average during this stretch to our exit against Carolina.

Still, look what Russ is able to achieve when we up the tempo and let Russ do more.

With that, it must be said that in three of the games to close out our season we were above average (1 sack or less).

STAT #4:

In games where Russell has been sacked once or less, he's 17-1 with a 113 QB rating. 17-1!!!!! That one defeat coming in the agonizing game at Detroit in his first season where he put us ahead with our last drive of the game, only for Titus Young to score with 20 seconds remaining.

Simply said, if you don't sack him, you don't win, it's why teams like St Louis put such a premium on getting to the him.

The Panthers went into last season with a makeshift O-line yet Cam Newton went 7 games being sacked once or less (we had 4, and unsurprisingly all came from week 8 beyond). Denver's O-line wasn't considered great yet Peyton Manning went 6 games being sacked once or less (and he missed 7 games!).

STAT #5

Our running game was not paramount to our success in the stretch, with us throwing for 11 Tds and running for 3 (one of which was Russ) in the three games following week 10 where Russ was sacked once or less. (This was where Russ went on his tear-up).

Whilst our running game was successful down the stretch last season (with Rawls central to this) explosive passing plays came more frequently and before explosive running plays. There's no doubt Rawls was a huge miss after he got injured, and our best hope of finding the form of the second half of last season is with a healthy Rawls, but our pass game opened up the running game plenty last year as our offensive identity shifted.

Still, you need adequate run blockers to take advantage of these opportunities, and we have regressed in this area with the player we lost on the O-line. That's not on Cable, and the fact he's had so little to work with can't count against him.

You can't help but feel this team still needs to freshen things up on offense. Cable needed to go when Marshawn did, and Bevell has ridden on the coattails of a combination of Russ's 4th quarter magic and our defense's ability to keep our opponent to an attainable score for far too long now.

We've played at our floor too often and what we've seen we're capable of when we're able to protect Russ should lead us to seek a coach who can help us achieve this on a more consistent basis. Whilst I'm hopeful of Ifedi working out, I'm sceptical about our talent evaluation on the O-line and our ability to maximise our guys' potential. Carp looked solid for the Jets last year, Okung has looked All-pro for Denver so far, whilst it took a last resort move for us to get anything like value out of Justin Britt (and that experiment is still young).

With all said I do think we'll be 'just fine' this season, but we could be so much better. We should probably accept that Bevell's not going to be fired for example, but he signed an extension in 2013 and I'd assume that was up at the end of the season.

Time to let him walk.

Holy crap! I didn't realize it was this skewed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawk45":2x6lcq21 said:
Sgt. Largent":2x6lcq21 said:
johnnyfever":2x6lcq21 said:

Yeah, last couple of years at least slow starts have been assured by their "approach" to the OL which involves replacing 3 players (at a minimum) at once on the line.

As soon as Okung walked our offense was doomed to look like garbage for 6-8 games. That's just how it is. I wasn't at all in love with Okung's health, but you just knew they had no plan for what came next.

They don't need to keep everyone. They just need to spread out the defections so that we're dealing with 1 or 2 new guys at once. Breno or Okung wouldn't have killed the cap, and IMO that money would be way better spent than paying Graham to block, which is what Graham must do because our tackles are awful.
Then why did teams such as the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos (pre injured, washed up Manning), Carolina Panthers, and the Greenbay Packers find offensive success with a bad offensive line play? Our success last season correlated in a change of philosophy regarding the passing game. My question is, why aren't we implementing that same strategy? Why are we reverting to what wasn't working for us at the beginning of last season, especially when we have a hobbled QB? My biggest gripe with Bevell is that he has not adjusted his play calling to the circumstances. Running read option plays with a hobbled Wilson is indefensible. That needs to be taken from the playbook until Wilson is up to snuff.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":734dpifd said:
Then why did teams such as the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos (pre injured, washed up Manning), Carolina Panthers, and the Greenbay Packers find offensive success with a bad offensive line play? Our success last season correlated in a change of philosophy regarding the passing game. My question is, why aren't we implementing that same strategy? Why are we reverting to what wasn't working for us at the beginning of last season, especially when we have a hobbled QB? My biggest gripe with Bevell is that he has not adjusted his play calling to the circumstances. Running read option plays with a hobbled Wilson is indefensible. That needs to be taken from the playbook until Wilson is up to snuff.

But it didn't work in the playoffs.......if not for a missed 27 yard FG we never would have made it to Carolina to get humiliated in the first half with an inept offense and tired defense.

I get the we need to be flexible with what we do on offense, and I agree wholeheartedly. But that's not Pete, it's just not.

I know everyone's focusing on the offense, but if Denver showed us anything last year the way you win another Lombardi is to humiliate, sack, destroy, punch people in the mouth and take the ball away...........just like we did in 2013 with the #18 ranked offense.