Fire Bevell (and Cable): Stat Edition

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The hatred is deep in many, Padwan.

Can't we combine all the fire Bevell threads into one compendeous thread?

This all Bevell hate all the time is getting tiresome.

BTW I don't like this guy either and haven't since before XLIX, but that was it for me. Many have aptly expressed all the reasons over and again in countless threads. Besides change is good.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1z48r128 said:
Spin Doctor":1z48r128 said:
Then why did teams such as the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos (pre injured, washed up Manning), Carolina Panthers, and the Greenbay Packers find offensive success with a bad offensive line play? Our success last season correlated in a change of philosophy regarding the passing game. My question is, why aren't we implementing that same strategy? Why are we reverting to what wasn't working for us at the beginning of last season, especially when we have a hobbled QB? My biggest gripe with Bevell is that he has not adjusted his play calling to the circumstances. Running read option plays with a hobbled Wilson is indefensible. That needs to be taken from the playbook until Wilson is up to snuff.

But it didn't work in the playoffs.......if not for a missed 27 yard FG we never would have made it to Carolina to get humiliated in the first half with an inept offense and tired defense.

I get the we need to be flexible with what we do on offense, and I agree wholeheartedly. But that's not Pete, it's just not.

I know everyone's focusing on the offense, but if Denver showed us anything last year the way you win another Lombardi is to humiliate, sack, destroy, punch people in the mouth and take the ball away...........just like we did in 2013 with the #18 ranked offense.
Yet we've held our opponents to 19 points in two games making us the number one defense in both yardage allowed and points allowed. We rank number 2 in sacks, and opposing offenses also have the lowest average in the NFL as far as yards per play against this defense. I'm sorry, I'm not buying your argument.

canfan

Reaction score
HawkinNY":n0an5jkj said:
Why does our offense have slow starts still. Have the same qb and off coordinator. Wr's have been here for years. I mean really why can't they figure things out yet?

Oh it's because the system sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of that is the lack of ability to build a functioning offensive line despite throwing 3 1st round picks at it since 2010 along with a 2nd, a couple of 3rds etc. etc. Yet despite all these picks, we roll into 2016 with "De'Carcass" Webb doing his impression of a cadaver at RG and Bradley "Oh well" (was that the guy I was supposed to block?) at LT. When the DLine is in your backfield at the snap, its really hard to call a game where you can't run, and 80% of the pass plays are off the table because the ball needs to come out in 1.5 seconds. My present avatar is a representation of how I view the 5 guys on the Oline.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is a lot wrong because this team chose to leave giant gaping holes (the same way it decided a LS that can do punt return coverage is more important than a LS that can get the ball to the punter cleanly). By doing all this ridiculous crap to get an advantage but ignoring the very core responsibilities and skill-sets that should be expected, we left massive gaping holes in the team.

Not Bevell's fault.

But Bevell's fault is that he cannot adapt, does not acknowledge the situation, and constantly throws game plans out that have zero shot at working. He is the king of square pegs being forced into round holes.

QB immobile? Long developing pass play. Nobody will suspect the read option from your gimpy injured QB in the 2nd (because it is stupid and potentially can get your QB injured worse). Do it anyway.

Finally, Bevell leaves chips on the table.

Matchups to exploit? He ignores them. Sudden weakness because a key player on the opposition goes down? Same game plan as before.

The only time we see creativity & adjustments is at the end of games where we are audibling out of his calls. The less opportunity for the OC to get a play in, the more likely the play is going to work. That is opposite day math, but how it is.

We can go over the issues, Bevell is faced with a lot of junk but mainly because he seems indifferent to context.

Ultimately the question is, with the Seahawks being forced to devote more resources to offense and lose defensive effectiveness (through attrition) over time, does it make sense to gamble that the OC will deliver anything of value when he has consistently been propped up by defense and special teams, and specifically underperformed at almost every turn? Even with a transcendent QB?

Emotion aside, putting your resources in the offense instead of the defense is a huge risk because the guy running the offense has very specific issues which tend to limit the success of the team over time.

He isn't terrible, but he is inconsistent and he is often not able to outcoach many on the other sideline. Which makes him a disadvantage before the snap. Football is difficult enough, you don't want the guy driving the bus for the offense to end up keeping the e-brake on for a full half.

Largent80

Reaction score
I really don't care about what happened last year. This is a new year and so far we stink for over a million reasons given for days.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1wqh16t6 said:
So I'm confused ... you criticize Bevell for the slow starts, but Russ gets the entire credit for the comebacks?
You do realize the overall genesis of Pete's gameplan is to tee off early on the defense, wear them down and then storm past them in the second half? It's a concept that's helped us win 65% of our games over a 4-year stretch, 2 NFC titles and a Super Bowl.
But you're not buying it? Tough crowd. I really hope you can arrange a sit-down with Pete to change his mind about the concepts he's adapted through 40 years of coaching. And please don't forget to write back with his reactions.

Decent concept, and sounds wonderful the way you frame it.

Problem is all that success was nearly a coin toss due to the nil production to start games, under the guise of pounding them down.

Never forget we birthed the super bowl appearance thanks very, very largely to a fourth quarter, fourth down free play bomb. Not like Bevell engineered anything there.

Second nfccg, most abysmal offensive showing ever. Totally bailed out by freak happenstance and russ.

Super bowl 49. Pretty mostly pathetic. Bailed out by a no name receiver who couldn't even stay on the roster the next season. How unprecedented would that have been?. Super bowl mvp to roster cut, had we won.

Last year's entire playoffs.... Did we do anything before the fourth quarters?. Offensively.

Even in a pound and strike offense, it's Bevell job to score. I guarantee Pete isn't telling him we can't score till the fourth quarter. Bevell being retained after 49 sent the wrong message, and it continues to permeate the entire organization negatively. Last year's offensive show was a fluke that i predicted here due to the latter half of the schedule declining in opponent SOS by around 32%.

Unfortunately it was the kind of fluke that keeps a moron in charge of our offense.

Or wait, did you agree with the goal line series calls Sunday?

How about two straight hand offs to a worthless rookie on a critical drive?.

I'm sick of the excuses about the rams playing us tough. That's bs that just excuses Bevell for 3 freaking points.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Optimus25":2jt023ut said:
Siouxhawk":2jt023ut said:
So I'm confused ... you criticize Bevell for the slow starts, but Russ gets the entire credit for the comebacks?
You do realize the overall genesis of Pete's gameplan is to tee off early on the defense, wear them down and then storm past them in the second half? It's a concept that's helped us win 65% of our games over a 4-year stretch, 2 NFC titles and a Super Bowl.
But you're not buying it? Tough crowd. I really hope you can arrange a sit-down with Pete to change his mind about the concepts he's adapted through 40 years of coaching. And please don't forget to write back with his reactions.

Problem is all that success was nearly a coin toss due to the nil production to start games, under the guise of pounding them down.

Never forget we birthed the super bowl appearance thanks very, very largely to a fourth quarter, fourth down free play bomb. Not like Bevell engineered anything there.

Second nfccg, most abysmal offensive showing ever. Totally bailed out by freak happenstance and russ.

Super bowl 49. Pretty mostly pathetic. Bailed out by a no name receiver who couldn't even stay on the roster the next season. How unprecedented would that have been?. Super bowl mvp to roster cut, had we won.

Last year's entire playoffs.... Did we do anything before the fourth quarters?. Offensively.

Even in a pound and strike offense, it's Bevell job to score. I guarantee Pete isn't telling him we can't score till the fourth quarter. Bevell being retained after 49 sent the wrong message, and it continues to permeate the entire organization negatively. Last year's offensive show was a fluke that i predicted here due to the latter half of the schedule declining in opponent SOS by around 32%.

Unfortunately it was the kind of fluke that keeps a moron in charge of our offense.

I'm sick of the excuses about the rams playing us tough. That's bs that just excuses Bevell for 3 freaking points.

BOOOOM! CAPOWWW! ZIIING! CRACK!

sdog1981

Reaction score
Optimus25":3ujctye6 said:
Siouxhawk":3ujctye6 said:

with both barrels of the truth shotgun​.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":dcaw7u5m said:
Siouxhawk":dcaw7u5m said:

Football often comes down to a game of inches and we've had the ingenuity on our coaching staff to win those games swaying in the wind 65% of the time over the last 4 years. We're in the midst of the most successful span ever by this franchise with 2 Super Bowl appearances in the last 3 years and it didn't happen by accident.

For the patient fan who understands how this team is operated, there is no worries and there needn't be. Last I looked, we were tied for first place in the division and a scant 1 game behind conference leaders New York, Minnesota and Philly. Panicking at this point is a waste of time and effort. Our thinly-budgeted line was going to take some time to gel. Just like last year. Those growing pains have been apparent early. Just like last year. But they'll get it together like they did a year ago and rattle off wins in 7 of 9 games and be perched amongst the best the NFC has to offer.

Aside from the line, we're also trying to determine if we're a run-oriented offense like we've been in the past. Can we get the production from our committee of backs that we got from Marshawn? Tall order, but we know Pete prefers it this way in his ball-control offense, so Rawls, C-Mike, Procise and "that worthless rookie" -- your words-- will need to get it done. And they will as our line learns to clear some lanes for them.

Then there's Russ. He has a lot on his plate this year. Can he become more of a pocket passer at the expense of the read-option? Should he? I know the coaching staff would like to see him read defenses and exploit weaknesses by possibly checking into another variation of the play with an audible. How much of this has been going on through the first 2 games? And dealing with a sprained ankle, to boot. He definitely was not his usual self on Sunday in his timing with his receivers on plays that were open. I'm sure having to repeat the play to C-Mike all day with the snap clock running down also didn't help.

So go ahead and panic if you want -- the root word of fanatic is fan, after all. But I've watched enough of this team to know that they make the adjustments and eventually get it right without any radical changes. They believe in each other and that's the reason they pull out all those tight contests that I find exciting, but you must not find enjoyment in by your critical stance.

In any event, sure there could be a time to panic. But this is hardly the time.