Awesome article about Pete and the Seahawks culture

rcaido

Reaction score
Is that Pete...?
Pete & JS

"I don't regret my decision," Thomas said. "If my teammates felt like it was towards them, then I regret that part, but I don't regret doing it to Pete."
The superstar safety flipped Carroll the bird on the field, but it was the off-field histrionics that boiled over for Thomas, who believed that the coach and front office weren't being genuine in their desire to re-sign him.
"It's a business at the end of the day," Thomas said. "I think my time just ran out. Pete and the front office, we just didn't, they didn't value me, I guess, like they used to. And I had just talked to coach Carroll. He was saying how he was trying to get me in their plans, of getting a new contract. But I got hurt the next week and I think I hurt myself too by my actions getting carted off the field. ... I gave Pete the middle finger because I felt like he wasn't being honest with me."
Added Thomas: "I was basically talking s--- to Pete because I knew what happened, because I had been through it before. I knew it was broke. Like when Pete came trying to act like he was concerned, I was like, You won, bro. Just kept moving."
The 30-year-old, who said he hasn't spoken to Carroll since, relayed that his relationship with the team soured after they didn't see eye to eye on a new contract.

"I feel like we've got to walk with each other for the rest of our lives because we won a Super Bowl together. But they'll love you one minute and they'll hate you the next," he said. "I feel like that was our relationship. ... It's just how it is in the game. It's just how it is. I'm not speaking for every coach. That's just my experience."

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
It's pretty well known that when a few of the LOB players left they werent exactly happy with Pete. He let the players who made the team, go. Everyone, including Pete, knows now it was the wrong thing to do.

But despite that, they all still respect him for what he built and continues to build now in this latest iteration of the team.

That article is from 2019. I'd be curious to know how ET feels now. Though, seeing first hand his antics in Baltimore after he left the Hawks, I don't expect him to be the type to experience some moment of enlightenment.

gabel

Reaction score
Pete & JS

"I don't regret my decision," Thomas said. "If my teammates felt like it was towards them, then I regret that part, but I don't regret doing it to Pete."
The superstar safety flipped Carroll the bird on the field, but it was the off-field histrionics that boiled over for Thomas, who believed that the coach and front office weren't being genuine in their desire to re-sign him.
"It's a business at the end of the day," Thomas said. "I think my time just ran out. Pete and the front office, we just didn't, they didn't value me, I guess, like they used to. And I had just talked to coach Carroll. He was saying how he was trying to get me in their plans, of getting a new contract. But I got hurt the next week and I think I hurt myself too by my actions getting carted off the field. ... I gave Pete the middle finger because I felt like he wasn't being honest with me."
Added Thomas: "I was basically talking s--- to Pete because I knew what happened, because I had been through it before. I knew it was broke. Like when Pete came trying to act like he was concerned, I was like, You won, bro. Just kept moving."
The 30-year-old, who said he hasn't spoken to Carroll since, relayed that his relationship with the team soured after they didn't see eye to eye on a new contract.

"I feel like we've got to walk with each other for the rest of our lives because we won a Super Bowl together. But they'll love you one minute and they'll hate you the next," he said. "I feel like that was our relationship. ... It's just how it is in the game. It's just how it is. I'm not speaking for every coach. That's just my experience."
Just for the record, Thomas lasted 1 year before every single Raven player voted him off the team. No team picked him up. Although I am not sure of the outcome, the Raven's said they had cause not to honor his contract.

Perhaps Carroll was not responsible for burning the bridge.

LTH

Reaction score
Check out this article about Pete and the "in house culture" at the Seahawks team meetings. Seahawks players past and current make some very positive remarks about Pete and the experiences of playing with him as a coach.
Awesome!!!
https://theathletic.com/5001932/2023/10/27/pete-carroll-seahawks-team-meetings/
It's amazing to me how many years it took for people to recognize the Seahawk culture. It's amazing how long it took the media to recognize the Seahawk culture. The first 5 years the media would ask Carroll questions and Pete would say things like, I don't know how to answer that question because we just don't think like that, it's not the way this team is wired. It's just beenbthe last few years that Pete's culture has been really recognized. It's baffling to me.

LTH

Donn2390

Reaction score
I became a Seahawk fan in 2010, the year Pete arrived. I became a fan when, and because of, Pete's arrival. I have never been in Seattle, I'm a So Cal guy who has been a devoted USC fan since the late 50's, and after watching Pete for 10 years doing amazing things at SC, it was only natural to follow him to the Northwoods..! He is so much more than a great and successful coach, his great work in the community is legendary. When he left LA, I followed.!
I spent many happy Saturdays at the coliseum watching Pete and the Trojans take on and conquer the college football world, so when Pete packed his bags, it was only natural to follow him north to watch him continue his magic.
I've had to bite my tongue many times over the years while reading the forum and seeing people Pete bashing, but rather than argue, I just sat back and watched, knowing he will prove them all wrong, over and over again.
When the Hawks have some success, everyone loves Pete, when the team hits a bump in the road, everyone wants to fire Pete. It comes with the territory.
He is one of a kind in every way, there will never be another like him. I can't wait until they make the movie...! Perhaps Fade will make a cameo appearance?

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Pete is great with young players. Players w no money and hungry. After 5 years is when he gets stale and players tune out.

Sherman said that he recycled his stories and they can recite them before he starts. Bennet brought a book. His style is more geared for college.

We are in year 2 and seem like the team has a great chemistry and players are hungry. After 3 more years is when we have to worry. Big contracts comes to play and the only motivation players care about is money.

knownone

Reaction score
Pete's won how many games in the NFL? His style works. It might not work for some players, and others may tire of it, but that's normal for every coach. I mean, look at the guys who hated Belichick's style.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Pete's won how many games in the NFL? His style works. It might not work for some players, and others may tire of it, but that's normal for every coach. I mean, look at the guys who hated Belichick's style.

Guy hasent won anything in like 8 or 9 years. Great regular seasons, but chumps in the post season. I dont see the trend changing.

NoGain

Reaction score
Guy hasn't won anything in like 8 or 9 years. Great regular seasons, but chumps in the post season. I dont see the trend changing.
Yeah, right. Records for last 9 seasons...

12-4
10-6
10-5-1
9-7
10-6
11-5
12-4
7-10
9-8

--90-55-1 record the last 9 seasons
--One SB appearance
--3 NFC West titles
--7 playoff appearances

Geez...hasn't won anything?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
This team might have to turn itself over every 5 years to fit Pete's style, but Pete is also getting close to 80 so there's that.

I think it's likely this iteration of the Seahawks is Pete's last, and he'll ride it as long as he can.

NoGain

Reaction score
I think it's likely this iteration of the Seahawks is Pete's last, and he'll ride it as long as he can.
Agreed that this is likely his last iteration as Seahawks head coach. But this current team has got some runway in front of them. It could last awhile.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
With how Pete has steered this time after the Wilson trade, I have a greater respect for him. I truly understand how he builds the culture etc. Not that I didn't have respect for him before but as a guy who got suckered into the "let Russ cook" stuff I was pretty annoyed with him at times.

His overall positives now has me getting past burning timeouts early and being reckless with his challenges

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah, right. Records for last 9 seasons...

12-4
10-6
10-5-1
9-7
10-6
11-5
12-4
7-10
9-8

--90-55-1 record the last 9 seasons
--One SB appearance
--3 NFC West titles
--7 playoff appearances

Geez...hasn't won anything?

Right. Hasent won anything of importance since 2014. This season will make 9 years.

NoGain

Reaction score
Right. Hasent won anything of importance since 2014. This season will make 9 years.
Almost every win in the NFL is important. The seasons are comprised of very few games in comparison to the other major sports, so every game has increased significance in the NFL. Only two teams make it to the SB each year, and only one team emerges victorious at the end.

It's hard to get to a SB. So many things have to go right, and so many things could go wrong. The best organizations remain consistently competitive most of the time, and give themselves a chance by putting themselves in the playoff picture more often than not, something that PC has done for the Hawks 7 out of the last 9 years.

You sound like that spoiled and entitled kid in Harry Potter...36 presents? But last year I had 37!

toffee

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is quite unique amongst NFL coaches, He's always sunny optimistic persona that put players at ease. But to me, the more important part is how he simply his schemes. Earl Thomas had problem at Raven as he face an uphill learning 'complicated' schemes. Pete also emphasised that he always made things simpler for QBs.

So many QBs thrived under Pete's "system", but didn't do as well elsewhere, see his USC QBs and Russell Wilson.

I noticed Pete when he was DC for 9ers, lol, I liked him so much that once I asked George Seifert on his opinion of Pete. Seifert being an ex-DC, gave me his trademark stone faced look and didn't said much. Personality wise, Pete is polar opposite of Seifert, got to wonder how those two got along.