Are we concerned about Okung?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
the ditch":1ri70stx said:
I think that Okung might become a cap casualty once we have to pay Russell. He's one of the highest paid left tackles in the league and depending on the direction management wants to go, and how they prioritize the different positions I wouldn't be shocked if we went with a cheaper option.

This year he is . . . next year's deal is relatively team friendly with just $4.8 million in base salary. You should be much less shocked if they keep him.

the ditch

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2681c82r said:
the ditch":2681c82r said:
I think that Okung might become a cap casualty once we have to pay Russell. He's one of the highest paid left tackles in the league and depending on the direction management wants to go, and how they prioritize the different positions I wouldn't be shocked if we went with a cheaper option.

This year he is . . . next year's deal is relatively team friendly with just $4.8 million in base salary. You should be much less shocked if they keep him.

Ah, seems you are right! But it is also a cap hit of 7.28 million apparently, regardless, I doubt he would sign an extension for 4.8 million a year.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
the ditch":2c4cbduv said:
hawknation2014":2c4cbduv said:
the ditch":2c4cbduv said:

Ah, seems you are right! But it is also a cap hit of 7.28 million apparently, regardless, I doubt he would sign an extension for 4.8 million a year.

Who knows? Injury history may hurt his market appeal. It will also make him less likely to hold out then, say, Marshawn Lynch.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":23umk1y6 said:
Let's just put it this way..............aren't we worried about Okung in one way or another EVERY year?

The toe sprain heard 'round the world.

the ditch

Reaction score
hawknation2014":z6cwskiy said:
the ditch":z6cwskiy said:
hawknation2014":z6cwskiy said:
the ditch":z6cwskiy said:

Who knows? Injury history may hurt his market appeal. It will also make him less likely to hold out then, say, Marshawn Lynch.

I would agree except that owners and general managers in the NFL aren't necessarily rational actors, big stupid contracts get thrown out all the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":38huf5oa said:
Threedee":38huf5oa said:
A good left tackle is one of your most important assets. I think resigning Okung should be one of our cap priorities.

If Okung was a good LT, yes.

He is a good LT. Is he a GREAT LT? Sometimes, but overall no. Too many penalties and oft injured knocks Okung down to just average to above average.

BUT, he fits well in Cable's system and is still in the upper half of LT's, so IMO he's worth holding onto for the same or a minimal bump in salary next year. Too risky to not keep.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
sc85sis":arixsybt said:
USC's new o-line coach this season is Tim Drevno. He came from the 49ers. He gave his young linemen film of three NFL players to watch and learn from.

Guess which LT he chose?

http://www.guampdn.com/article/20140927 ... eople-Guam

No Jones? Pffttt.....

My brother played LT(Big 10) and he says he watches the line play more than any other position. He claims that Okung has improper technique. Something about his hips or angles of his hips. Something like that. Anyways, I take his word for it. He played at a very high level. He says the reason that Okung is pro-bowl is his athleticism. He says that if he could develop/improve his technique he could very well become Jonesish. He told me for whatever reason(lazy? coaching? hurt? combination of all these?)he is not and it's aggravating.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":qc3uyynw said:
My brother played LT(Big 10) and he says he watches the line play more than any other position. He claims that Okung has improper technique. Something about his hips or angles of his hips. Something like that. Anyways, I take his word for it. He played at a very high level. He says the reason that Okung is pro-bowl is his athleticism. He says that if he could develop/improve his technique he could very well become Jonesish. He told me for whatever reason(lazy? coaching? hurt? combination of all these?)he is not and it's aggravating.
This makes sense based on how well he plays at times and his struggles at other times. Perhaps he slips into bad habits when he's struggling?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I have another take on this that maybe interesting. First, I personally haven't really been impressed with our first round selections in the draft, notably Irvin and Carp, though Carp this year seems to have found something in himself to play better. Second, we have been very successful in finding talent in the later rounds, so much so that we have a very competitive squad that will be very difficult for any player to make.

My idea, is to cut or trade, Okung, saving some very valuable CAP space, then trade up into this draft, spend a couple of 1st rounders to do so if we have to. This draft class is very deep in franchise type tackles and I'd love to see us get one.

We are at a point where, I believe quality is a premium to quantity. We used to need quantity, but we are way past that point now., no sense wasting draft choices on mediocre talent, that may or may not make the team.