Are we concerned about Okung?

Jville

Reaction score
I'm not concerned. We have multiple contingency options and improved resources. It's not like when Timmy was here. Besides, Okung has a history of improving his play after returning from injury. I anticipate improved play from the left side as the season unfolds.

Note that Okung's cap cost is peaking this season. It is similar in nature to what we saw with Zach Miller last year. Russell's cap number is scheduled to drop from $11.24 mil (this year) to $7.28 mil in 2015. By the end of 2014, Russell Okung will have collected something well north of $40 million. Okung will have already made his money and built a big nest egg. (That should sound familiar.) I think it reasonable to anticipate this will work itself out. In any case, it has little to do with this season.

Justin Britt was chosen to become the starting right tackle. If all goes well, the right side will be much improved and reasonably solid by seasons end. I'm optimistic this 2014 offensive line will finish stronger than what we saw last year.

The balance of this season looks promising.

Go Hawks!

Pie Romania

Reaction score
I had very high hopes for Okung and wanted Seattle to draft him. Was extremely happy when we did. His athleticism, strength, and movement were what really intrigued me. With that said, he's shown flashes of the player I thought we had drafted, but has not improved significantly in my opinion. He was given the LT spot early and has had no one that could even be a formidable backup, let alone compete for the start at the position. This is just speculation, but is the biggest problem outside of the injury concerns and mental mistakes he has and continues to make. I feel he knows the LT position is his and that if he's able to be on the field, no one will take it from him. He's not doing everything he can to improve or be the best he can be (again, my opinion). I'm sure he puts work in, but seriously doubt he gives it all he has in the offseason, training camp, between games, etc. I've been wanting a stud offensive tackle the last couple of years for this reason because not only would it have given us another very talented OT on the right side, but them pushing for LT duties on gameday might have given Okung added motivation to be the player so many of us expected him to be. With a young, undersized QB who utilizes his legs when needed, improving the O-Line to be the best possible group we can put on the field to protect our investment/franchise quarterback is always a positive thing. While Wilson isn't as reckless as guys like Vick or RG3, I still cringe when guys like Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith get after Wilson untouched.

I believe Okung's cap numbers go down next year and that's the last year of his rookie contract. Something like a 4 million decrease IIRC (11.2 to 7.2), so instead of signing him to an extension before his contract is up, they may very well let him play it out. Might not be likely, but from what I've seen, offering him what he's been making from his rookie contract on a new one would worry me. He has yet to play an entire 16 game season, false starts/holding seem to happen more often than I'd like, guys beat him more often it seems the last couple of years as opposed to early in his deal.

While we have other needs, if BPA in the first round of this upcoming draft is an offensive tackle prospect who looks to be capable of competing for the LT spot (and depending on who's on the board), I hope we don't think twice. Peat, Ogbuehi, Scherff (one of my favorite prospects regardless of position), Collins, Erving (meh), would be cool by me. Scherff is a guy I think Cable would absolutely love. He's strong, athletic, mobile, plays with a mean streak through the whistle, and could play any position on the line outside of center which would give us some nice options for his rookie year. If he couldn't beat out Okung, he could play RT with Britt being a great backup. Could also have him slide inside at guard so that we can keep both Okung and Britt on the field as well. Carp may be gone after this season and while I like Sweezy, having him compete or as depth would be sweet as opposed to starting. I still think Alvin Bailey would be best as a guard too thanks to his athleticism/mobility, size & strength. Okung-Scherff-Unger-????-Britt with Bailey, Sweezy & someone else competing for the right guard spot. That would be wonderful IMO and if Okung got injured, Scherff could slide over to LT.

Anyway, aside from injuries, I just think Okung knows the position is his and isn't pushing himself to be the best he can be. Glad we brought Britt in, but he's not a LT and I've been clamoring for another stud the last couple of years. Get a guy in Seattle that can challenge Okung and unless the player is a major bust, it just seems like a great situation for our offense, running game/Beast Mode (if he sticks around another year), and Wilson in particular.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jville":ql5jyv0l said:
I'm not concerned. We have multiple contingency options and improved resources. It's not like when Timmy was here. Besides, Okung has a history of improving his play after returning from injury. I anticipate improved play from the left side as the season unfolds.

Note that Okung's cap cost is peaking this season. It is similar in nature to what we saw with Zach Miller last year. Russell's cap number is scheduled to drop from $11.24 mil (this year) to $7.28 mil in 2015. By the end of 2014, Russell Okung will have collected something well north of $40 million. Okung will have already made his money and built a big nest egg. (That should sound familiar.) I think it reasonable to anticipate this will work itself out. In any case, it has little to do with this season.

Justin Britt was chosen to become the starting right tackle. If all goes well, the right side will be much improved and reasonably solid by seasons end. I'm optimistic this 2014 offensive line will finish stronger than what we saw last year.

Go Hawks!
Contingency options? It seems we never have much help when it comes to OL...LT being the most important, I'm a bit worried

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
-The Glove-":jnrtl28s said:
Jville":jnrtl28s said:

Go Hawks!
Contingency options? It seems we never have much help when it comes to OL...LT being the most important, I'm a bit worried
I think he thinks that McQuisten is still on the team.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was ecstatic when we drafted Russell Okung with Pete's very first draft choice back in 2010. He graded out by many as being the top OT prospect coming out and he had something close to 50 starts in college, including all 13 in his senior year, so there wasn't even a hint that he might be injury prone.

Even when he's been healthy, Okung hasn't played like you would expect a Pro Bowl OT to play. The only good year he's had was in 2012. He's always excelled in run blocking, but he's constantly getting beat on an edge rush, he commits too many penalties, and he's always hurt. I worry a lot about Russell's blind side exposure and doubt that we re-sign him when his contract is due.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Let's just put it this way..............aren't we worried about Okung in one way or another EVERY year?

THE TABS

Reaction score
Every season, I wait for him to emerge as a quality, All-Pro caliber tackle, and every season he gets nicked up and disappoints. I think he'd be better off on the right side, and we draft a pass-blocking LT in the next couple of years.

Granted, Walter Jones is a very tough act to follow, but after four years, I expected him to be an elite level player by now, and it hasn't happened.

Threedee

Reaction score
A good left tackle is one of your most important assets. I think resigning Okung should be one of our cap priorities.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Threedee":2xxbjysj said:
A good left tackle is one of your most important assets. I think resigning Okung should be one of our cap priorities.

If Okung was a good LT, yes.

RiverDog

Reaction score
THE TABS":3pp4jdye said:
Every season, I wait for him to emerge as a quality, All-Pro caliber tackle, and every season he gets nicked up and disappoints. I think he'd be better off on the right side, and we draft a pass-blocking LT in the next couple of years.

Granted, Walter Jones is a very tough act to follow, but after four years, I expected him to be an elite level player by now, and it hasn't happened.

It's doubtful that we'll be in a position to draft a stud LT as those guys are usually gone in the top half of the draft, and with any luck, we'll be drafting at least in the high 20's, so we might be forced to accept Okung's sub par performance unless he demands top 5 LT pay.

Agreed about Big Walt being a tough act to follow, but I'd be happy if the guy simply played more.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RiverDog":21a9xnll said:
THE TABS":21a9xnll said:

It's doubtful that we'll be in a position to draft a stud LT as those guys are usually gone in the top half of the draft, and with any luck, we'll be drafting at least in the high 20's, so we might be forced to accept Okung's sub par performance unless he demands top 5 LT pay.

Agreed about Big Walt being a tough act to follow, but I'd be happy if the guy simply played more.
That's going to be the key. What will the market set? Usually for LT's it isn't cheap. Maybe his injury history will work to our advantage though.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Okung is in a bad way when it comes to reputation. People, especially on this board, fixate on what he does wrong while rarely giving due credit when he does his job well. This is endemic to the offensive line position; they don't want to be seen in pass blocking, and only rarely do you get a highlight reel pancake. (Half of which are called back as holding these days, but I digress.)

Ultimately, it's Tom Cable's call as to how well Okung is doing. If Bailey is more durable and a better player, they'll play him and dump Okung. If Okung stays healthy...ish, then I think he should be allowed to move his way back into people's good graces, because, like Irvin, he's turning into a convenient target.

THE TABS

Reaction score
RiverDog":349l76wg said:

You never know. The Niners got Joe Staley at #28. The Cowboys got Larry Allen in round 2 and Eric Williams in round 3, and they both had stellar careers.

Players are always out there, and John Schneider knows where to look.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":wjauukbd said:
Okung is in a bad way when it comes to reputation. People, especially on this board, fixate on what he does wrong while rarely giving due credit when he does his job well. This is endemic to the offensive line position; they don't want to be seen in pass blocking, and only rarely do you get a highlight reel pancake. (Half of which are called back as holding these days, but I digress.)

Ultimately, it's Tom Cable's call as to how well Okung is doing. If Bailey is more durable and a better player, they'll play him and dump Okung. If Okung stays healthy...ish, then I think he should be allowed to move his way back into people's good graces, because, like Irvin, he's turning into a convenient target.

If he weren't so injury prone, I might agree with you. But how in the heck can we give him credit for doing his job well when half the time he's not even on the field?

RiverDog

Reaction score
THE TABS":1sqim837 said:
RiverDog":1sqim837 said:

You never know. The Niners got Joe Staley at #28. The Cowboys got Larry Allen in round 2 and Eric Williams in round 3, and they both had stellar careers.

I don't think there was as high of a premium on good LT's when Larry Allen was drafted. That was back in the day when they actually drafted running backs in the first round. :sarcasm_on:

I understand that there's always a chance that through good scouting and good player analysis, a couple of areas our FO seems to excel in, you can find that diamond in the rough, but it's more problematic with LT's as they are sought after like no other position save quarterback.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Russell Okung is a very good LT when he is healthy and in shape, problem is.....he doesn't seem to be either this season and for that matter he hasn't been that in any season (0 seasons with 16 starts).

Who knows maybe all those injuries are catching up with him a bit. Hopefully the team looks at some LT going into next years draft with an eye on one of them starting two years from now, because Russell just doesn't seem to have the durability to be a quality LT for 8-10 years, but then again who can be Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, but maybe this is the year where Okung makes that turn and becomes a consistent top 3 LT after a rough start (I'm not holding my breath).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
THE TABS":olfkh4ec said:
RiverDog":olfkh4ec said:

Michael Roos of the Titans was also drafted in round 2.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Largent80":2buxlegd said:
I started a thread about him last week. I said I thought he was a C+ if we were grading.

He has had some nice work so far. Football is friggin tough and we are hard on players, but I think the lofty draft pick has not been realized with him.

Face it. We got spoiled with Walter, and the fact is, there is ONLY 1 Walter Jones.

:13:

I say we bring back Big Walt, and spell him every so few plays. :stirthepot:

hawknation2014

Reaction score
RiverDog":3e72ozgp said:
Sarlacc83":3e72ozgp said:

If he weren't so injury prone, I might agree with you. But how in the heck can we give him credit for doing his job well when half the time he's not even on the field?

Well, he bounced back in the last game from whatever shoulder problem he was dealing with and only missed four snaps. . . struggled as a run blocker, but did an excellent job in pass pro.

There is way too much hate on this board for Okung. Do we win a Super Bowl without him? Do we win last week? I would say no to both. He's under contract for the rest of this season, and the next season on a cap friendly deal, so those wishing for him to disappear will have to wait.

the ditch

Reaction score
I think that Okung might become a cap casualty once we have to pay Russell. He's one of the highest paid left tackles in the league and depending on the direction management wants to go, and how they prioritize the different positions I wouldn't be shocked if we went with a cheaper option.