Are we in Win Now mode or not?!?

Scout

Reaction score
The Rams and Bucs are paying for the win now mode due to respective salary cap issues post SB victories, but then again they might rise and be competitive in 2023. So it is possible to turn things around in a hurry in the NFL.

The Seahawks are emerging from a salary cap mess as well. But the bigger issue was the restructuring of roster that needed to be done and that started with last year's draft class and will continue with this year's draft class.

A lot of the bad roster decisions which also made the cap worse caught up with the Seahawks in 2021 which is what forced the reset button to be hit.

Jac

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this as well. I wonder if there are limits placed on the trust that are hamstringing Seattle from going big onto guarantees.

Seems like they can’t just go to Jody and ask for cash the way they did before.

This may make everything more difficult until the team finally sells.
I think that's an NFL-wide theme now, though. There was recently discussion on NFL Radio about how many one-year contracts there were in the league now and how high roster turnover is. Free agency seems much more conservative in general.

I don't know how comprehensive this is, but only 1-2 contracts per position group (sometimes none like WR, RB, TE, and even DE) really stand out.

NoGain

Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster. PC is always in win-now mode. Whether or not that is tied to the reality principle in any given year is up to others to decide. I also agree with a previous poster that it certainly seems that some personnel/contract decisions are being influenced by the fact that the franchise is in a state of flux since PA's death.

But PC/JS have made some pretty sound personnel decisions starting with last off-season that one could argue fit both the rebuild and compete now formula on some reasonable level. The rest of this off-season/draft remains before beginning to put some kind of overall grade on it.

I don't know. We'll see...

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If we got rid of Neal to bring Wagner back it’s a mistake imo
totally and that actually can't be the whole story - 'cause the numbers don't add up.

Neal don't pay for Bobby - he certainly pays for a piece of bobby

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
[A] isn't on the table.

They haven't sniffed an NFCCG in a decade. SuperBowl?! LOL.

They chose option [C]
Be mediocre, never be bad enough to fully rebuild, never be good enough to be actual contenders. Stuck in the middle.
Wife and I were discussing this yesterday - I agree. Swimming in the middle.

I just don't think you win anything that way. I hate the Rams, but like I said, that 3-4-5 year cycle seems like the way to do it.

It's a rollercoaster, but at least there are HIGHS to go with the lows.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Sorry, but giving up draft capital for 1-2 years of production is dumb as hell. It would probably cost you a 2nd/3rd. When you can draft a RB & get similar production.
I don't think it's dumb as hell - I think it's an investment if ya want to 'win now'.

I'd sell a 2nd and 3rd to for Henry. No problem.

They just 'did' this with Bobby - as a reminder. Not the purchase, but bringing in a good yet aging player.

Nothing wrong with Henry. Go get him, and put it on my credit card ;)

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't think it's dumb as hell - I think it's an investment if ya want to 'win now'.

I'd sell a 2nd and 3rd to for Henry. No problem.

They just 'did' this with Bobby - as a reminder. Not the purchase, but bringing in a good yet aging player.

Nothing wrong with Henry. Go get him, and put it on my credit card ;)
You can get a difference making RB in this draft. A Jahmyr Gibbs or Zach Charbonnet in Round 2. There's no need to trade for a soon to be 30 year old RB.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle is NOT in win now mode as the team isn’t fully built right now (call it 75 percent ready) to WIN this upcoming season, even including this months draft (will be 80-85 percent).

I’d say Seattle will be in line for Super Bowl win NOW mode, starting the September 2024 (85-90 percent) or 2025 (should be 90-95 percent ready) season. I believe that’s when Seattle will have all the pieces necessary to make a deep run.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yeah and we can win a Super Bowl this year with the right chemistry

Donn2390

Reaction score
Cutting Ryan Neal to save a little money, to bring in Wagner? (Still have to cut more to fit him in.)

Use a void year or something on DK. Judy counting pennies. She can't sell soon enough.
Just when I started to finally agree with some of your recent posts, you come up with this dilly and it voids every intelligent post you ever made.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It was Neal's idea to leave, he wanted to go to a place where he could start. The FO allowed him to follow his dream.. Pure class...!!
That’s cool if that’s what happened. I just think he played better than any other safety on the roster and was cheaper. I’d keep him over anyone and give him a starting job here.

Last edited:

Hawk4life

Reaction score
So my answer to the OP's question is a bit cryptic, PC would make an excellent politician because he plays both sides of the fence.

I think the prerequisite hasn't been met, is Geno taking the snaps? If he is then it is a win now season.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I just think we can't jump to conclusions about anything. This time last year Non of you thought the Hawks would have any shot at all at the Hawks going to the play offs. We don't know the plan period. We have not even seen what the Hawks are going to do in the draft. Are the Hawks in win mode NOW? Yes, Pete Carroll is in win mode every minute of every day... That is what he does, that is how he is wired. So be patient and let's see how this thing plays out.