Andy Benoit Back at it Again

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Who? Bunch of dudes thinking they are writers. Hawkblogger, Fieldgulls, Andy Benoit.....they need to stick to their day jobs.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":p99m7pac said:
Scorpion05":p99m7pac said:
The Seahawks’ offense no longer goes through Russell Wilson. He is a complementary piece in a smashmouth system, which makes the best use of his unique gifts. This was the approach the Seahawks took in the Marshawn Lynch heyday, when they went to back-to-back Super Bowls.

Translation: Russell is a game manager who's being carried by the run game

I don't agree with your translation. Let's not allow defensiveness over our QB to blind us to his faults. He can still be elite and worth keeping without being as good as Mahomes.

This year, Wilson isn't scrambling for first downs every third play and then lateraling to Mike Davis. He's doing a lot less (and has also cut down on the dumb heroball plays). So I agree with Benoit's assessment. Wilson's doing less while still being essential; that's pretty much what complementary means.

Whether Wilson is able to carry an offense is an opinion that largely wavers week in and week out depending on whether Seattle wins or not. If they do, Wilson is a magician. If they don't, Wilson is struggling and needs better surrounding talent.

Last year, the Seattle Wilsonhawks went 9-7. That, to me, isn't carrying an offense. He did at times; he didn't at others. That's not a knock, because I myself was leading the charge about how Pete's playcalling was not adapting to the talent quotient on the team.

Fair enough

If this came across as defensive. My apologies, not my intentions at all

I think you’re misinterpreting my source of conclusion, which is based on not just this article, but Benoit’s general conclusions about Wilson which is far off base:

1. Mahomes is a better QB than Wilson, capable of carrying an offense unlike Wilson. Personally I think that’s a silly point. You could use the same arguments to suggest Mahomes is the best QB in the league, which again, seems silly. Then again, first round QBs usually get excessive praise from the media. But Mahomes has Andy Reid and lacks the body of work

2. Russell is being carried by the offense, and only has to read simple looks from defenses. Again, overly simplistic and inaccurate. The system he’s running is also basically centered around dissecting defenses

There are some other notes he made. But the context of Benoit is that last year he argued Wilson isn’t a top 10 QB, and that Stafford was better. Now again, He’s entitled to his opinion. But he writes for a major publication, it was one of the first articles that popped up when I googled “Seahawks,” and his critiques aren’t comprehensive. I personally believe the media has a responsibility to evaluate things reasonably. I don’t think I’m reacting any harsher or more “defensive” per se, more than a Chiefs fan would for Mahomes, or a Colts fan for Luck. But I haven’t seen many similarly backhanded articles about them so hey