Amazing Draft

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1x5mjhwi said:
RichNhansom":1x5mjhwi said:
Sports Hernia":1x5mjhwi said:
penihawk":1x5mjhwi said:
I agree on a great draft so far. We lost the SB due to lack of pass rush,field position and short comings in the pass game to convert 3rd downs and the red zone to put the game away in the 3rd qtr. Check,check and check in my book.
Meh, No offense but it I severely dislike statements like that. I see the point you are trying to make but disagree with the overlooking of the fact they had a great chance to win it except for DB's boner playcall.

We lost the Super Bowl because they refused to give the ball to their biggest weapon with the game on the line, it came down to that.

Now if you say if we had more depth here and there and there, and they should have had the lead before that point then I agree. Let's not overlook the fact then despite the things you mentioned they still should have walked out of Arizona with the Lombardi trophy.

So far it looks like a very good draft as they are plugging some holes they needed filled. :)

You are correct about the bad call but that looks at only one play. I think the point was you could have prevented being put on position to have to make that play call to begin with if not for other weaknesses.
We lost the SB when Hill went out--we already lost Mebane and we were brutalizing the Patriots offense up to that point. If we'd had Graham on that last play, he would've at least disrupted the dbs and caused an int, if not a td.
My last comment on the SB 49 comment. Your first sentence is wrong. Seattle had the ball at the 1/2 yard line with less than 30 seconds and 1 timeout, the game was there to be had. I agree with your Graham comment though.

warden

Reaction score
We lost the Superbowl because the Patriots rookie corrnerback made a he11 of a play in a game that came down to the last play

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":16aa8lez said:
Hawkfan77":16aa8lez said:
Sports Hernia":16aa8lez said:
We lost the Super Bowl because they refused to give the ball to their biggest weapon with the game on the line, it came down to that.
Refused? That's not true...
Actually on the play I'm talking about it IS the truth.
Lynch got the ball on the 5 yard line and almost got in. Saying they refused to give him the ball is not correct. If they refused to use, why would they give him the ball 5 yards out, a play they could have easily converted?

There's no conspiracy theory here

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3ap2z1xm said:
Pete has already said they had 3 players they wanted and got 2 of them with 2 picks.....more to come.

I love this. Even if not true just think how it makes the players drafted feel. This team wanted ME. THey are contenders every year and they were looking for ME. Nice motivating tool. If true even better.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2rgkpxf9 said:
Sports Hernia":2rgkpxf9 said:
Hawkfan77":2rgkpxf9 said:
Sports Hernia":2rgkpxf9 said:
Lynch got the ball on the 5 yard line and almost got in. Saying they refused to give him the ball is not correct. If they refused to use, why would they give him the ball 5 yards out, a play they could have easily converted?

:34853_doh:
Not saying there is any conspiracy there. They refused to give the ball to Lynch on the LAST OFFENSIVE PLAY that resulted in an INT. That is a FACT, rather you decide to accept that reality is up to you.

The last word is yours.......

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Such a great draft.

I wanted Clark, Poole, Glowinski, Obum G, and Soloki.

Montgomery was my choice for WR/ST returner but I can live with Lockett aka poor man's Antonio Brown. Harvin- Baldwin-Tate hybrid.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The third player might have been RB Mike Davis or the OG from Arizona ST.

Or maybe it was one of our other picks. Soloki was a Sparq warrior. He fits that Luke Willson must have pro.

Poole And Glow seem like picking the best OL available.

So the third player could be the CB they took in the 5th. Small school. Under the radar pick. Looks to fit the Jeremy Lane profile but not as fast.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1fbfbgyo said:
Hawkfan77":1fbfbgyo said:
Sports Hernia":1fbfbgyo said:
Hawkfan77":1fbfbgyo said:
Sports Hernia said:

:34853_doh:
Not saying there is any conspiracy there. They refused to give the ball to Lynch on the LAST OFFENSIVE PLAY that resulted in an INT. That is a FACT, rather you decide to accept that reality is up to you.

The last word is yours.......
"Refused" implies a failure to comply with another's orders or direction. That isn't the case. They chose not to go with a run play on that down because they felt a pass was a better call based on personnel, defensive alignment, etc. The particular pass play didn't work because the opposing LB made a savvy play.

Pete has stated the plan was to go with a run play on the next down had they not scored--or as it turned out, not tossed a pick to end the game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CPHawk":3h9zrf0c said:
When fans build teams, you end up with the Browns, Redskins and Cowboys. When smart front offices build teams, you get bad draft grades that end up as the Seahawks and pats.

Don't look now, but the Cowboys are pretty much copying everything the Seahawk FO is doing these days. That's why they are suddenly contenders.

penihawk

Reaction score
I better have the last word since it was my post that caused you to have Vietnam like flashbacks to "The Play". Your simplifying the game down to 1 play. I can do that as well by saying if Kearse doesn't catch that tipped pass there is no "The Play" or if Bostic lets the kick go GB is in the SB instead of us. The last play could of been changed with play call but the 60 min game was dictated by 3 glaring weaknesses that showed up in every game we lost or should of lost last year.

I was merely trying to broad stroke the 3 things through a 60 minute game that need to get better, much better. The thing is, is that the same 3 things were glaring against GB, a game we never should of won.

Pass rush is make or break in this league period! The teams that have the least can't win. It's no coincidence that Edge is the first group depleted every year in the draft. Brady played 7 on 7 once Avril got hurt.

We played with a long field all day and not being able to change it with return yards or converting 3rd downs in the passing game cover my other 2 pts. NE did it 3/4 of the game and we didn't. Step back and look at the big picture. :D :D

penihawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":1chbe26a said:
When fans build teams, you end up with the Browns, Redskins and Cowboys. When smart front offices build teams, you get bad draft grades that end up as the Seahawks and pats.

This statement is for all the naysayers that wanted us to draft all the media darlings at the expense of the other 31 clubs. I still don't know why we didn't give up a 7th in 2019 to move up & get Cooper or White? It's just that simple! :sarcasm_off:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2oa19a7g said:
Hawkfan77":2oa19a7g said:
Sports Hernia":2oa19a7g said:
No its not the truth. The truth is PC made the decision to pass not DB. Furthermore I depise all this blame and hate of DB, because your excusing the biggest reason for failure on that play - the execution. The players failed to execute properly. Both wr's were pretty lackadaisical in there effort in the biggest play of their careers. If RW throws back shoulder instead of leading so much, there is no pick (were talking about a foot inside). The bottom line is the players failed on that play. So to say it's all DB excuses the players of blame. Now the one thing I would agree with the play call. I would have liked a PA play called in that situation to make the defense think a little more. execution always trumps play calling.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Pete has stated the plan was to go with a run play on the next down had they not scored--or as it turned out, not tossed a pick to end the game.

I disagree sc85sis. On that last play, the video shows Pete asking Bevell "What you got for me?" by this time Bevell had already told him it was going to be a slant play. So if Pete stated it then why did he took the responsibility of him calling that pass play? Pete said that if they didn't score, then the next play would of been a wasted play, just to kill the clock. Then Wilson coming in and saying that he took the blame for the INT, and Bevell coming in saying he made the call not Pete, and that Ricardo should of been stronger at the point of attack? If Pete said he wanted run then how come he didn't get his run play, doesn't make any sense so if by that theory you saying Bevell went over Pete's orders and called that play?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1f7he7ub said:
Sports Hernia":1f7he7ub said:
Hawkfan77":1f7he7ub said:
Sports Hernia":1f7he7ub said:
No its not the truth. The truth is PC made the decision to pass not DB. Furthermore I depise all this blame and hate of DB, because your excusing the biggest reason for failure on that play - the execution. The players failed to execute properly. Both wr's were pretty lackadaisical in there effort in the biggest play of their careers. If RW throws back shoulder instead of leading so much, there is no pick (were talking about a foot inside). The bottom line is the players failed on that play. So to say it's all DB excuses the players of blame. Now the one thing I would agree with the play call. I would have liked a PA play called in that situation to make the defense think a little more. execution always trumps play calling.
You must be a former coach.........

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3a99is22 said:

I disagree sc85sis. On that last play, the video shows Pete asking Bevell "What you got for me?" by this time Bevell had already told him it was going to be a slant play. So if Pete stated it then why did he took the responsibility of him calling that pass play? Pete said that if they didn't score, then the next play would of been a wasted play, just to kill the clock. Then Wilson coming in and saying that he took the blame for the INT, and Bevell coming in saying he made the call not Pete, and that Ricardo should of been stronger at the point of attack? If Pete said he wanted run then how come he didn't get his run play, doesn't make any sense so if by that theory you saying Bevell went over Pete's orders and called that play?
BINGO!

I don't get the "coaches never make bad play call" mentality. Coaches and former coaches from Pee Wee to the NFL hate having their play calling questioned, and ALWAYS blame execution, which a lot of time is a cop out for bad play calling.

kearly

Reaction score
I think it's very likely the 3rd player Seattle wanted was DGB. There was the rumor about Seattle looking to trade up early in the 2nd. In another thread, two people confirmed from watching the war room live feed that JS was sitting with three cards in front of him, until DGB was picked, at which point he picked up one of the cards, ripped it up, and threw it away. There were other rumors pointing DGB, and it just made perfect sense for Seattle in general.

I think DGB was to JS what Nelson Cruz was to Jack Z in 2014. Just because he went elsewhere didn't mean there wasn't immense interest here, or that there wouldn't be a 2nd chance to get him in the future.

Regarding Big WRs, Seattle did pick up Austin Hill in UDFA. Hill is 6'3", 212, and had a chance to be Michael Floyd 2.0 before his devastating knee injury in 2013. Hill played almost all of his snaps in the slot for a spread offense, but he runs good routes, is physical with strong hands, and high points very well. If he can recover and get back to being the guy he used to be, he could end up being better than some of the big WRs Seattle passed on at #63 and #69.

Smaller players tend to be extremely pass / fail. Look at Russell Wilson compared to all other short QBs who attempt to break into the NFL. 5'10", 190 pound WRs who dominate like Antonio Brown and TY Hilton are very rare. Lockett could be a star or he could be Deon Butler all over again.

My gut feel is that Lockett will do very good things on scramble drills and on double moves. Other than being size-redundant with some of the other WRs on our roster, Lockett's strengths seem to fit Seattle's offense perfectly. I think if he can make the leap to the NFL anywhere, it's in Seattle. And if he can be the same guy in the NFL that he was at K-State, he's one of the steals of the draft.