All good things must come to an end

Snohomie

Reaction score
Very well said, Kip, and I agree with every word. I don't post much anymore, but your Random Thoughts posts were the one thing that I always came to .Net to read, without fail. Will definitely miss them, but I've been in a similar spot and made the same decision, so I understand completely.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3u4p0inl said:
The line between confidence and insecurity is a fine one. When there is a desire to be perfect in everything we do, the few personal criticisms we receive tend to sting a bit more. When rationally, there is little reason to allow negative people's opinions to affect us as much as they do, especially when we know they are wrong.

If we're talking about a first time occurrence or a small sample size, I agree 100%.

But over 5-6 years the hundreds of incursions gradually take a toll. Not sure how you thought it was an insecurity issue. If that were the case, I would have quit 3 weeks in and gone the Hawkblogger route with my own website.

Cartire

Reaction score
kearly":wj66zllt said:
hawknation2014":wj66zllt said:
The line between confidence and insecurity is a fine one. When there is a desire to be perfect in everything we do, the few personal criticisms we receive tend to sting a bit more. When rationally, there is little reason to allow negative people's opinions to affect us as much as they do, especially when we know they are wrong.

If we're talking about a first time occurrence or a small sample size, I agree 100%.

But over 5-6 years the hundreds of incursions gradually take a toll. Not sure how you thought it was an insecurity issue. If that were the case, I would have quit 3 weeks in and gone the Hawkblogger route with my own website.

I got to have names at this point. You speak of these people, as hate mongers, and I just dont see it. Maybe Im not looking hard enough.

I've read through your RT's and all I see is mass praise all the time. And with the occasional debater who might try to argue a certain point with you. And very very rarely have I read someone who has had any hate for you. I dont know. Like I said, I just have never really seen it.

But you do you. Doesnt really matter after that. (and im saying that in a positive way)

sc85sis

Reaction score
I hate this. I understand it. But--selfishly--I totally hate it.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Kip.

tooshort

Reaction score
Kip, I love your posts and it's one of the major reasons that I haven't forsaken this place for other "College Navy and Action Greener" pastures.

A poster above suggested that you post the "Random Thoughts" thread and have it immediately locked.
I would add to the "immediately locked" with "stickied to the top of the page for the week".

Then let the ingrates have a running thread in the Shack "Random Rants, the (expletive deleted) Kearly's insights thread" :D

drdiags

Reaction score
Folks may not think there were reasons for Kearly to stop writing the RT post but if you read the reply from Snohomie, another former resource for .NET, you can probably deduce that maybe the slights aren't imagined.

I am sure to some the responses just seem like part of the deal but watching from the sideline, I have seen over the years things that I thought were over the line. But I have made a promise to myself to just shut my piehole and let those in charge decide how they want to police things here.

You cannot micro-manage how people are going to respond but you can control whether you want to initiate discussions and it appears right now that Kearly chooses to no longer initiate conversation about the game as part of the game day ritual with his RT post. Didn't say he was gone, just not publishing one of the .NET staples anymore.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Snohomie":2jis068b said:
Very well said, Kip, and I agree with every word. I don't post much anymore, but your Random Thoughts posts were the one thing that I always came to .Net to read, without fail. Will definitely miss them, but I've been in a similar spot and made the same decision, so I understand completely.
You sir are missed here. Hope you'll reconsider to the point of at least posting now and then.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I read your threads but I don't always agree with them, in fact at times I strongly disagree with them. I've never looked at your RT as something to say you know more than me about Seahawks football, and for the majority I enjoy the more thoughtful insights on the game. Thanks for your dedication to .net, as a Seahawk fan it's a pleasure when I find others who like to delve into the games as much as myself.

I think Tokadub should start a Seahawks season book for every year. :p

I also would like to open up a debate thread with DavidSeven. I enjoy bouncing things off other insightful posters, as I find more knowledge is gained with intelligent debate.

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":3455t9bn said:
Folks may not think there were reasons for Kearly to stop writing the RT post but if you read the reply from Snohomie, another former resource for .NET, you can probably deduce that maybe the slights aren't imagined.

I am sure to some the responses just seem like part of the deal but watching from the sideline, I have seen over the years things that I thought were over the line. But I have made a promise to myself to just shut my piehole and let those in charge decide how they want to police things here.

You cannot micro-manage how people are going to respond but you can control whether you want to initiate discussions and it appears right now that Kearly chooses to no longer initiate conversation about the game as part of the game day ritual with his RT post. Didn't say he was gone, just not publishing one of the .NET staples anymore.

Hmm, I disagree. I actually think you (and we) should politely steer or discourage things we deem over the line. Especially from individuals like yourself, who rarely venture into the briar patch. The only way that would/could be harmful is if the recipient takes themselves and this WAY too seriously (which is 99% of any problems, really)...assuming it's done in a constructive manner of course.

Perspective is a HUGE problem...people taking this seriously. We're not writing laws or curing rickets. We're a bunch of nerds talking football. I've seen ALOT of instances where individuals hold on to angst and use it to poison threads or even others.

So, lighten up, nerds.

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":1ucvy4rl said:
Hmm, I disagree. I actually think you (and we) should politely steer or discourage things we deem over the line. Especially from individuals like yourself, who rarely venture into the briar patch. The only way that would/could be harmful is if the recipient takes themselves and this WAY too seriously (which is 99% of any problems, really)...assuming it's done in a constructive manner of course.

Perspective is a HUGE problem...people taking this seriously. We're not writing laws or curing rickets. We're a bunch of nerds talking football. I've seen ALOT of instances where individuals hold on to angst and use it to poison threads or even others.

So, lighten up, nerds.

The danger is if people speak out, and it is the same ones constantly harping on people to watch themselves and pay attention to the forum rules, they become viewed as wanna-be mods and full of themselves. Then the message becomes clouded because the person lacks credibility. I think it is like they say with HCs, after awhile the players tune them out if they have been together a long time. Human nature I suppose. I wish I had the answers but I don't. After awhile you just become the angry, old guy yelling at the young kids having fun to get off your lawn.

That's when it is time to go in the house and take your metamucil and call it a day.

pehawk

Reaction score
Well doc, at least dinner is only 6 hours away. And, Fridays always an exciting mail day.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":317ni5jr said:
Well doc, at least dinner is only 6 hours away. And, Fridays always an exciting mail day.
6 hours? You posted this at 11:00 AM! Man you don't know a thing about old guys like me and the Doc. Can you say early bird special?

drdiags

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3sz9qca4 said:
pehawk":3sz9qca4 said:
6 hours? You posted this at 11:00 AM! Man you don't know a thing about old guys like me and the Doc. Can you say early bird special?

He is one of those dang young whippersnappers. Why he never even walked to school, let alone up-hill both ways in a snowstorm.

sc85sis

Reaction score
drdiags":3vvcc8em said:
hawksfansinceday1":3vvcc8em said:
pehawk":3vvcc8em said:

He is one of those dang young whippersnappers. Why he never even walked to school, let alone up-hill both ways in a snowstorm.
While walking backwards...

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Cool for you, Kearly. Whatever you apply your time and energies to will be of great quality. I hope you get to enjoy the season free of stressful burdens and obligations!

jlaff35

Reaction score
While I am sad to see the RT by Kearly go away as I have long been a reader of that thread, I am here to say that I will gladly take over as the post game, reactionary, "voice of the fan" and rehash the highs and lows of the game, as seen through my eyes. I have been writing a weekly recap over at my blog hawksontap.com, feel free to check it out and see if you would like me to take over and write something similar for .net. I know I haven't posted a ton in these forums, but I have been a member and multi times per day visitor for a long, long time. Oh, I go by TunaHawk on my blog, but my real name is Jeff. Been a Hawk fans since I was born in 1979, and have been there through every high and low. My favorite Hawk game ever (besides Super Bowl win, that's too easy) is at Arrowhead, Derrick Thomas 7 sack day gets ruined by Kreig to Skansi!. I have roughly 60 different Rick Mirer rookie cards (why, oh why did I not collect Jerome Bettis or Drew Bledsoe from that class!...oh that's right, because they weren't Hawks!).

Sad to see Kearly's thread go, like all of you, but am more than happy to take over the reigns. I have thick skin, I don't care if you guys say anything bad. It's all good. We're all Hawks, and we have different points of view for sure.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jlaff35":1dg3zcra said:
While I am sad to see the RT by Kearly go away as I have long been a reader of that thread, I am here to say that I will gladly take over as the post game, reactionary, "voice of the fan" and rehash the highs and lows of the game, as seen through my eyes. I have been writing a weekly recap over at my blog hawksontap.com, feel free to check it out and see if you would like me to take over and write something similar for .net. I know I haven't posted a ton in these forums, but I have been a member and multi times per day visitor for a long, long time. Oh, I go by TunaHawk on my blog, but my real name is Jeff. Been a Hawk fans since I was born in 1979, and have been there through every high and low. My favorite Hawk game ever (besides Super Bowl win, that's too easy) is at Arrowhead, Derrick Thomas 7 sack day gets ruined by Kreig to Skansi!. I have roughly 60 different Rick Mirer rookie cards (why, oh why did I not collect Jerome Bettis or Drew Bledsoe from that class!...oh that's right, because they weren't Hawks!).

Sad to see Kearly's thread go, like all of you, but am more than happy to take over the reigns. I have thick skin, I don't care if you guys say anything bad. It's all good. We're all Hawks, and we have different points of view for sure.

Great to hear that. The irony in all this is that the number of post-game threads after games will probably increase now (as pointed out by the mods). Hopefully one of them rises to the top. Always compete!

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":1lgb0om5 said:
The danger is if people speak out, and it is the same ones constantly harping on people to watch themselves and pay attention to the forum rules, they become viewed as wanna-be mods and full of themselves.

It is definitely a fine line to be sure. If Seahawks.net every became a "clique" like the John Morgan era Field Gulls, where any dissent to the popular way of thinking made people gang up on you, a lot of people (including me) would ditch .net like a bat out of hell. It's important to make sure the culture of .net never even approaches that kind of hive-mind situation.

But Pehawk is right though. When someone clearly crosses the line people need to speak up, the more people the better. That's not excuse to be mean, I think maybe the best way of keeping posters in line is how we make jokes about it, and it makes those posters self-conscious of their personality tics. If we don't stand up for others, that forces the person themselves to stand up for themselves and look defensive. Which just escalates fighting.