Looking good BigMac. Keep it up.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I love what I'm seeing. Even if I only get to 'see' it for 20 minutes a day 'cause my job eats my life :)

Refreshing. Not afraid to dump people. Seems like a steady hand. I love love love love what limited amount I've seen so far.

No more coasting on 5 year old bullshit and restrospective memories or hallucinations of past performances.

No more apple polishers. No more hangers on. That's what I'm hoping for.

Cut through the crap and rebuild this mofo BigMac! That's what I say.

There's still work to do, and some people who need to get jettisoned - 16, ya know I'm looking at you, don't ya?

Anyhow - for all the handwringing post Pete - IMO we could be in a worse place. Bring on the draft and FA.

Nobody should be safe.

cymatica

Reaction score
To be fair, Pete and John's first 2 years set a record for number of player transactions. Pete only started hanging on to guys after sb49. MacDonald has no reason to have any loyalty, much easier to part ways with someone else's players. We'll really know only after several years of coaching up his guys

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen a single move that I would have been shocked if it were made if Pete were still in charge.

Maybe Diggs? That one I could see Pete wanting to keep him despite how overvalued his contract was. I could have seen us restructure Diggs instead if Pete were still here.

Not saying I don't like these moves so far (I do), just nothing so far has stood out as a clear 'this is a Mike Macdonald move!'

I think what ends up happening with Brooks and Wagner will be more of the test.

WarHawks

Reaction score
So far so good. We'll have a lot more answers after the draft.

Fade

Reaction score
I love what I'm seeing. Even if I only get to 'see' it for 20 minutes a day 'cause my job eats my life :)

Refreshing. Not afraid to dump people. Seems like a steady hand. I love love love love what limited amount I've seen so far.

No more coasting on 5 year old bullshit and restrospective memories or hallucinations of past performances.

There's still work to do, and some people who need to get jettisoned - 16, ya know I'm looking at you, don't ya?

Anyhow - for all the handwringing post Pete - IMO we could be in a worse place. Bring on the draft and FA.

Nobody should be safe.
Careful what you wish for... /s

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score

Nobody should be safe.
It'd be nice if good players like 16 were safe.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Careful what you wish for... /s
I don't get it.

I don't think anyone who enjoyed Pete wanted JS to sit on the roster once Mac came in.

If you make the coaching change, you get the dude his guys and turn the bitch over. I don't know of a single person who disagreed with that in a way that'd make this "careful what you wish for" callback apt in any way. Are we shaking our fists at ghosts again?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Nobody should be safe.
Well, yeah. It's John's roster and he's got a new head coach. The objective would have to be to get the new head coach his guys and build the team together.

We'll see how this sentiment looks in a few years when Mac is presented with the prospect of RETAINING his guys. Remember - Pete and John conducted the most ruthless roster overhaul in NFL history when they got here. Things change when it's your guys that you're faced with keeping or having to say farewell to.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It's a net savings of $7M if we release Tyler Lockett. For $7M I'd rather keep his production and impact on the field. Yes, his "salary" is $17M this year but the "net cap savings" from releasing him would only be $7M.
And once you've ejected DK Metcalf like everyone wants to AND no longer have a tight end under contract like everyone wanted, Lockett becomes even more important. /s

olyfan63

Reaction score
And once you've ejected DK Metcalf like everyone wants to AND no longer have a tight end under contract like everyone wanted, Lockett becomes even more important. /s
Good point. Lockett becomes Geno's security blanket even more for this "bridge" season with other uncertainties. DK can be hot and cold; we need both DK and Tyler to keep defenses honest. And let's hope we get a good TE or two on the roster. I'm partial to Parkinson, but liked all 3 of our TEs and hope we can get good value and good chemistry with Geno.

12forlife

Reaction score
It's a net savings of $7M if we release Tyler Lockett. For $7M I'd rather keep his production and impact on the field. Yes, his "salary" is $17M this year but the "net cap savings" from releasing him would only be $7M.
Then you have to restructure him. If he won't then it's tough love, and we save $7 mil. I believe we have finally figured out we have our money in the wrong positions. It is not good management to pay your #3 WR $17 mil. Shouldn't be anywhere over $10 mil. Lockett is replaceable, with his opportunities going down with the addition of JSN. Also Lockett don't add nothing in blocking, and I see us becoming more of a 50/50 run/pass, our WR's are going to be asked to block.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The question then becomes; how productive will he be? Lockett's production started to dip and he was clearly slower, and not as quick out of his breaks in addition to making some questionable business decisions. We also just spent a first rounder on JSN who was used very sparingly in the Seahawks offense this season, as per Carroll's ethos of bringing rookies up slowly. JSN ran clean routes and made some nice contested catches. He was only 200 some odd yards behind Lockett and he had almost as many TD receptions despite more limited opportunities.

Lockett is a good receiver, but he is clearly on the downside of his career. That 7 mil can mean the difference between signing someone and not signing them. The decline could also come at the cost of getting the young core of our team some valuable reps, think JSN. We also had Bobo who looked the part.

I would certainly agree with you if we didn't have JSN and Bobo behind Lockett. Fortunately, our depth at WR makes Lockett very expendable if Seattle needs to make some room.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Yabbut, no GM worth his salt is gonna operate with no input from the coaches. 🤷‍♂️
Exactly - we don't have the PC giant speed bump standing in JS's way holding onto players for sentimental reasons.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Good point. Lockett becomes Geno's security blanket even more for this "bridge" season with other uncertainties. DK can be hot and cold; we need both DK and Tyler to keep defenses honest. And let's hope we get a good TE or two on the roster. I'm partial to Parkinson, but liked all 3 of our TEs and hope we can get good value and good chemistry with Geno.
Respectfully disagree a bit.

DK and Tyler aren't keeping defenses honest. DK can block a little - and he can certainly abuse you after the play :) . 16's pretty much given up on that at this point, that and YAC.

I'm looking forward to the new regime under BigMac and a new OC who can use both the TE group and the receivers group on an underneath/closer/quicker game.

Tyler needs to go. He's set a bad example for the past several years and has had one foot out the door. Nice string of interviews basically saying '**** YAC - my high school coach told me that was OK'. Anyways. DK just needs to be coached. And disciplined.

Nothing wrong with the TE group. Just need to take them out of the china cabinet on Sundays, and, oh, I don't know? USE THEM!!!!! Gonna miss Dissly tho - he just suffered under a bad scheme.

Thing I'm looking forward to most in the new regime? Honesty and accountability. Trade who you need to trade. Bench who you need to bench. Start the hot hand(s) that you want to start - without the goddamned politics.

LFG.