All 22 vs CHI (first half)

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
The play where Gilliam gets blown by you can see that his ass is too high in his stance. Simple club move from the defender knocks him off balance.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawk45":4vl9fgjg said:
Laloosh! Such an awesome post, thanks so much for these.

As for Sweezy, I'd like to agree with Hawks46 that he sucks at pass blocking but Cable tells me he's an upper echelon guard in this league so I guess I can't believe my eyes after all.

At this point, Sweezy is what he is. I'm not sure how much he can learn or get better.

Thanks for these pics Laloosh, it really helps me understand things.

It doesn't seem to be a talent issue with our OL, just an inexperience issue. Britt looks a bit uncomfortable on the left side. Believe it or not, that can be a big deal. Depends on the guy, and it's not his fault. I see poor footwork at times and a few times he's not sure where to be.

On the gif of Gilliam getting beat, that's just poor technique. When you're blocking, you're told to keep your head up and look at your target (same with tackling, we were always taught to put our facemask on the ball). When you put your head down and lunge, you get over your feet too much and you don't see your target. Perfect example here with Gilliam.

The bright side is that Nowak seems to be getting better every game. This is also an experience/technique thing many times. It's not like our guys are getting physically dominated and blown off the ball, like Chris Gray at the end of his tenure here. Good Guard, great technique, but just lost the physicality at the point of attack.

I don't see that with our guys, it's bad angles, bad footwork, missed assignments, etc. I'd just like to see improvement every week. If we don't see improvement every week, then it starts to become a talent issue after all.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
Hawks46":2263qsiy said:
hawk45":2263qsiy said:

As for Sweezy, I'd like to agree with Hawks46 that he sucks at pass blocking but Cable tells me he's an upper echelon guard in this league so I guess I can't believe my eyes after all.

At this point, Sweezy is what he is. I'm not sure how much he can learn or get better.

It doesn't seem to be a talent issue with our OL, just an inexperience issue. Britt looks a bit uncomfortable on the left side. Believe it or not, that can be a big deal. Depends on the guy, and it's not his fault. I see poor footwork at times and a few times he's not sure where to be.

On the gif of Gilliam getting beat, that's just poor technique. When you're blocking, you're told to keep your head up and look at your target (same with tackling, we were always taught to put our facemask on the ball). When you put your head down and lunge, you get over your feet too much and you don't see your target. Perfect example here with Gilliam.

The bright side is that Nowak seems to be getting better every game. This is also an experience/technique thing many times. It's not like our guys are getting physically dominated and blown off the ball, like Chris Gray at the end of his tenure here. Good Guard, great technique, but just lost the physicality at the point of attack.

I don't see that with our guys, it's bad angles, bad footwork, missed assignments, etc. I'd just like to see improvement every week. If we don't see improvement every week, then it starts to become a talent issue after all.
So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly. A player that has only been playing his position for 3 years can't learn anymore or get better? You say this because he gave up a sack early in a game? Sweezy has gotten better each year he has been here. That's a fact. Do you think that maybe playing in between a rookie RT and C might have anything to do with some mishaps that happen? I know that it's the cool thing on the board to blame the O-Line for everything that goes wrong but at some point common sense has to kick in and realizations need to be made that there are 100 other factors at play for what might have gone wrong. None of us have any idea of what their blocking assignments are. We just see a guy running at Russell and it just had to be the O-Line that screwed up. Now don't get me wrong there are instances where some of our guys are just straight up beat one on one. And that's going to happen but to just sit here and say off the wall comments is crazy.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
So, I got nothing of substance or intelligence to contribute, really, but I have to post just to say awesome, awesome job by Laloosh. This is the kind of stuff that makes a site great. We all get lost in some of the inane back-and-forth from time to time, but there's a lot of great posts as well.

Interesting, informative, a crap-ton of work and VERY much appreciated. Thanks, man! :thirishdrinkers:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Awesome stuff. I really appreciate getting a good look at some of these plays. Do you take requests? 2nd quarter. 6:31 seconds left. 3rd and 11. Watching it live thought Wilson might have bailed a bit early from a clean pocket, but you couldn't tell if that was because of the receivers not getting open. Watching the all-22 it looks like there was a play to be made.

Not sure how hard these are to make, but the throw to Kearse in the 2-minute drive is fun to watch, too :D

canfan

Reaction score
I really enjoy these. I appreciate that somebody is putting this kind of effort into analyzing the game and showing me the plays from a perspective I can't see on TV. This is why I come to the net!

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3tcwpgrs said:
Awesome stuff. I really appreciate getting a good look at some of these plays. Do you take requests? 2nd quarter. 6:31 seconds left. 3rd and 11. Watching it live thought Wilson might have bailed a bit early from a clean pocket, but you couldn't tell if that was because of the receivers not getting open. Watching the all-22 it looks like there was a play to be made.

Not sure how hard these are to make, but the throw to Kearse in the 2-minute drive is fun to watch, too :D

I'd considered including this one but in the end I thought that Wilson's decision to keep it was sound. They were backed up against their own end zone and he was just trying to get some positive yards and get some breathing room.

All three of the primary receiver routes take a while to develop and only Baldwin really comes free in his deep crosser but not until Wilson's started his scramble. As you can see from the view behind Wilson, he didn't have a lot of time to wait for something to develop.

6Z15Ux4

byau

Reaction score
HawkNuts":3dv8o1me said:
The play where Gilliam gets blown by you can see that his ass is too high in his stance. Simple club move from the defender knocks him off balance.

Very easy to see, thanks to the breakdown

LALOOSH!!!! Thanks these are awesome!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":1w97v1as said:
Recon_Hawk":1w97v1as said:

I'd considered including this one but in the end I thought that Wilson's decision to keep it was sound. They were backed up against their own end zone and he was just trying to get some positive yards and get some breathing room.

All three of the primary receiver routes take a while to develop and only Baldwin really comes free in his deep crosser but not until Wilson's started his scramble. As you can see from the view behind Wilson, he didn't have a lot of time to wait for something to develop.

6Z15Ux4

Awesome. Thanks man.

Looking at it the play some more, I like the decision by Wilson to scramble. Protect the ball. Get some yards.

In this situation, it's a close call for Russ to decide either to run or trust the Line. I do think it's a play where some QBs that don't have the legs of Russell would try to convert that 3rd down throw to Baldwin, but then again they don't have the wheels to avoid taking that risk.

I also like looking at these GIFs and all-22 is for play call and play design. Others might disagree, but I thought Bevell had a hell of a gameplan and was making good calls like this play. It's 3rd and 11 backed again their endzone. There's easy reads on the first down routes for the QB and creates some open space if RW wants to run with it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So, your all-22 made me go back and watch some more.

One thing I want to point out.

On the Sweezy got beat sack, the whole play shows so much more.

It was 2nd and one, and the play call was a big shot down the field. Just a few seconds before the snap, one of the Chicago DTs jumps up, motions to several players, and they change the alignement so that the DT calling the change gets a one on one with Sweezy.

He knew it was a pass. 2nd and 1 and the DT KNEW it was a pass. The other DT moves over so that the center has no choice but to take him and beats Sweezy like a drum. To my eye, Sweezy looks like he sets up for play action. And gets beat quickly for it.

I call attention to this because it means one of two things. the Bears spotted either a tendency or a tell. For them to audible to a pass rush scheme on 2nd and one leaves no other interpretation. The end zone view of the all-22 shows that every route was pretty much blanketed.

Now part of me wants to blame the OC, because dialing up a shot, which is exactly what we were doing, is such a Bevell thing to do on 2nd and 1 from the 47. But more of me thinks they spotted a tell, which I have no idea what it is, that alerted them to the pass. Watch the secondary, they even know the routes.

I just want to point out that what looks like a simple got his ass whipped by Sweezy could very well be so much more.

Tomorrow when I have more time I will post the two GIFs that show this play.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Scottemojo":39i6mbde said:

It was 2nd and one, and the play call was a big shot down the field. Just a few seconds before the snap, one of the Chicago DTs jumps up, motions to several players, and they change the alignement so that the DT calling the change gets a one on one with Sweezy.

He knew it was a pass. 2nd and 1 and the DT KNEW it was a pass. The other DT moves over so that the center has no choice but to take him and beats Sweezy like a drum. To my eye, Sweezy looks like he sets up for play action. And gets beat quickly for it.

I call attention to this because it means one of two things. the Bears spotted either a tendency or a tell. For them to audible to a pass rush scheme on 2nd and one leaves no other interpretation. The end zone view of the all-22 shows that every route was pretty much blanketed.

Now part of me wants to blame the OC, because dialing up a shot, which is exactly what we were doing, is such a Bevell thing to do on 2nd and 1 from the 47. But more of me thinks they spotted a tell, which I have no idea what it is, that alerted them to the pass. Watch the secondary, they even know the routes.

I just want to point out that what looks like a simple got his ass whipped by Sweezy could very well be so much more.

and after all that. He still got beat one on one.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Smellyman":2izv9i2k said:
Scottemojo":2izv9i2k said:

and after all that. He still got beat one on one.

Sweezy is good for a couple of beats per game. But, if a lineman sets up for a play action block when the DL absolutely knows it is a pass, the offensive guy is boned, pure and simple. He has to take a step forward like it is a run, then settle into pass pro.

I am just telling you what I saw. 2nd and one the Hawks dialed up a shot, and the Bears knew what was happening before the play was snapped.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1e1xacrf said:

UniformLazyIndochinesetiger

The defensive line is probably responding to the shift to the left by the RB. That alignment change would have been equally effective against the run. Late pre-snap adjustments by defensive fronts are also a common way to confuse an offensive line. You can see Nowak pointing out the assignments after the defensive line changes its alignment. Nowak was the only player in the interior to hold his block, going against Will Sutton. Sweezy and Britt were just beaten, straight up.

Another reason I greatly prefer the I-formation, making the run more effective in that situation, with an extra blocker capable of supporting the run in either direction, and forcing the defense to stay honest.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I still think Sweezy is executing a play action block. Watch the side shot, he sinks backwards less than anyone else, and he is isoed when maybe he expected help.

I could very easily be wrong about Sweezy thinking it is PA, But I don't think I am at all wrong about the Bears knowing it was a pass on 2nd and 1. The coverage and pass rush suggest they spotted something.

BTW, thanks for the GIFs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":20a9g55b said:
Hawks46":20a9g55b said:
hawk45":20a9g55b said:

So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly. A player that has only been playing his position for 3 years can't learn anymore or get better? You say this because he gave up a sack early in a game? Sweezy has gotten better each year he has been here. That's a fact. Do you think that maybe playing in between a rookie RT and C might have anything to do with some mishaps that happen? I know that it's the cool thing on the board to blame the O-Line for everything that goes wrong but at some point common sense has to kick in and realizations need to be made that there are 100 other factors at play for what might have gone wrong. None of us have any idea of what their blocking assignments are. We just see a guy running at Russell and it just had to be the O-Line that screwed up. Now don't get me wrong there are instances where some of our guys are just straight up beat one on one. And that's going to happen but to just sit here and say off the wall comments is crazy.

There's a decent argument both ways, I suppose. When you consider where Sweezy started, he's had to scratch and climb his way out of an incredibly deep hole. I would say his pass pro has improved markedly from where he began. Based upon the conversion from DL to OL alone, I'm willing to fudge how many years it should take him to be a fully rounded pass blocker.

That said, I think some of his shortcomings in pass pro are because of physical makeup. He has the arm length of a weeble, so anyone that has longer arms and uses good hand placement should cause some problems for him. We all know how Cable prioritizes run blocking, so that's no doubt how the 'one of the best guards in the league' comment came from.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26hharhr said:
I still think Sweezy is executing a play action block. Watch the side shot, he sinks backwards less than anyone else, and he is isoed when maybe he expected help.

I could very easily be wrong about Sweezy thinking it is PA, But I don't think I am at all wrong about the Bears knowing it was a pass on 2nd and 1. The coverage and pass rush suggest they spotted something.

BTW, thanks for the GIFs.

There were a couple of pass plays where it looked like the Hawks were trying to show run, but the Bears weren't fooled. The looked like it could have been one them.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":28baa9al said:
The Dirty Truth":28baa9al said:
Hawks46":28baa9al said:
hawk45":28baa9al said:

There's a decent argument both ways, I suppose. When you consider where Sweezy started, he's had to scratch and climb his way out of an incredibly deep hole. I would say his pass pro has improved markedly from where he began. Based upon the conversion from DL to OL alone, I'm willing to fudge how many years it should take him to be a fully rounded pass blocker.

That said, I think some of his shortcomings in pass pro are because of physical makeup. He has the arm length of a weeble, so anyone that has longer arms and uses good hand placement should cause some problems for him. We all know how Cable prioritizes run blocking, so that's no doubt how the 'one of the best guards in the league' comment came from.

I am going to have to disagree with you on the short arms comment. Sweezy actually has long arms. Like I mentioned before he has only been doing this for 3 years and he gets better every year. Pass blocking is hard. Very hard. To me its only gonna be natural that he gets beat every once in a while. If he had been playing O-Line his entire playing career then maybe you could have an argument about it. Cable said he is one of the best YOUNG guards in the league, and I have to say that he is correct in that judgement. I guess I just get tired of hearing the same old things every week about how bad our O-Line sucks when most of the people yelling it pay zero attention to the O-Line during the game. Our third string RB had over 100 yards rushing, so I apologize if I am very optimistic about this group.

Latest posts