Aden Durde interviewing for DC

sutz

Reaction score
I had to google him. He checks the Rooney Rule box, so now we can hire whoever we want.
Pretty sure they checked that box several weeks ago, with some pretty decent candidates, too.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Pretty sure they checked that box several weeks ago, with some pretty decent candidates, too.
For coordinators? The tracking for that hasn't been as comprehensive as the tracking for head coach interviews and interest.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Imagine being interviewed thinking you are valued, just to find out you were used because of your skin color.
That's the unintended effect of the Rooney Rule. As a black coach, you can never be sure if a request for an interview is totally legit, unless the Rooney Rule boxes have already been checked. Then you can be more confident that the interest is real.

Torc

Reaction score
That's the unintended effect of the Rooney Rule. As a black coach, you can never be sure if a request for an interview is totally legit, unless the Rooney Rule boxes have already been checked. Then you can be more confident that the interest is real.
It's a double edged sword. Those candidates also get experience interviewing (which is beneficial regardless of race), and promotes some word of mouth amongst GMs if they interview well. In the case of the Seahawks, where they don't appear to be looking for an established DC, I'd like to see them interview a pretty large pool.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not just black but Hispanic and Asian or Islanders, whole point is about discrimination which I feel should not be an issue in any sport in the modern era, just goes to show that the Good Old Boys Network is prejudice as hell and need rules like this to appear they are being kept honest.

bileever

Reaction score
What I want to know is, does Durde speak with a strong British accent? That would be cool. He could be the reverse Ted Lasso.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It's a double edged sword. Those candidates also get experience interviewing (which is beneficial regardless of race), and promotes some word of mouth amongst GMs if they interview well. In the case of the Seahawks, where they don't appear to be looking for an established DC, I'd like to see them interview a pretty large pool.
There was a stretch of time, including when the Seahawks hired Pete Carroll, that Leslie Frazier was interviewed five times by five different teams, none of which hired him.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Not just black but Hispanic and Asian or Islanders, whole point is about discrimination which I feel should not be an issue in any sport in the modern era, just goes to show that the Good Old Boys Network is prejudice as hell and need rules like this to appear they are being kept honest.
Does the Rooney Rule cover Hispanics, Asians, Islanders, etc? If the Seahawks wanted to interview Eugene Chung, for example, would that count as a Rooney Rule interview?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Does the Rooney Rule cover Hispanics, Asians, Islanders, etc? If the Seahawks wanted to interview Eugene Chung, for example, would that count as a Rooney Rule interview?
I think it says minorities not specifically African American so probably yes.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
The League maintains a list, but doesn’t publish the qualifications.

Safe assumption it’s anything but white Northern European.
Saleh - Lebanese (White by EEOC standards)
Kafka - Puerto Rican grandparents (1/4 ?)
McDaniel - 1/8 Black
Canales - Mexican grandparents (1/4 ?)

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The League maintains a list, but doesn’t publish the qualifications.

Safe assumption it’s anything but white Northern European.
Saleh - Lebanese (White by EEOC standards)
Kafka - Puerto Rican grandparents (1/4 ?)
McDaniel - 1/8 Black
Canales - Mexican grandparents (1/4 ?)
These are all known examples of interviews fulfilling the Rooney Rule?

cymatica

Reaction score
That's the thing, it's all for appearance. I think there happen to be more white coaches available because there tends to be less athletically superior talent among them and which results in more looking for other positions in the sport. With a larger pool of white people to choose from in coaching positions, we get the results we have and it has nothing to do with discrimination, maybe with very few exceptions.

The Rooney rule doesn't take this reality into consideration and assumes the disparity must result from discriminatory reasons. It's a baseless rule designed to protect the NFLs image.