49ers NT Glenn Dorsey - out for the season

SF49r

Reaction score
Marvin49":16dx3lqi said:
loafoftatupu":16dx3lqi said:
757Niner":16dx3lqi said:
NorthDallas40oz":16dx3lqi said:
Torn bicep muscle. Tough break at a TargetBlank]position where they're already thin.

Mikey from Oakland wants to know what position do I think is the 49ers’ deepest.

BW: It’s a loaded roster so there are plenty of spots to choose from, but I have to go with the defensive line. It is so deep. The 49ers could keep 10 defensive linemen and every one of them is worthy of being in an NFL rotation. This group is going to be good for years to come. Young players such as Tony Jerod-Eddie, Ian Williams, Demarcus Dobbs, Cornellius Carradine, Quinton Dial and rookie Kaleb Ramsey are all backups. But all have big potential.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisc...epest-positio

Isn't it awesome when potential is factored in? Guys that have little experience can just be super stars on paper. Oh, dude got hurt? Here comes Ian Williams and his handful of tackles. No concerns there. Carradine? With a name like that he must be dominant. Hey, I saw Dobbs out there for a few games, oh and Ramsey... a rookie, its obvious that any of those guys would be part of an NFL rotation. Especially based on their performance in games.

Maybe everyone of those guys is a stud DLine player, but nobody has seen it in a real game yet. But a writer said so, it is totally legit.

Yeah...none of those guys have proven anything, but Ian Wiiliams earned the starting spot over Dorsey in camp last year. Dial has looked really good in camp this year as has Carradine (tho Fangio did say today he's making too many mistakes). The funny thing is that the guy getting the snaps right now with the ones is Purcell...who is more famous for being the guy Brooks hit over the head.
I thought that was lamar divens?

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1x11rqz6 said:
Marvin49":1x11rqz6 said:
but he had earned the starters job over Dorsey last year with a very good camp.

You already said that. It doesn't mean shit Marvin. He hasn't done anything and the writer from the posted chunk of article was talking about how those guys could be a part of any rotation. But-but-but nothing. Oh there's Dobbs.. the most experienced on that list of names. But they are all surely having a GREAT camp.

And I already said he didn't have game experience. Chill.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":az5trkej said:
loafoftatupu":az5trkej said:
Marvin49":az5trkej said:
but he had earned the starters job over Dorsey last year with a very good camp.

You already said that. It doesn't mean shit Marvin. He hasn't done anything and the writer from the posted chunk of article was talking about how those guys could be a part of any rotation. But-but-but nothing. Oh there's Dobbs.. the most experienced on that list of names. But they are all surely having a GREAT camp.

And I already said he didn't have game experience. Chill.
You clearly haven't read any of my non-chill posts.

Weadoption

Reaction score
So the 49ers have some young NT options that are unproven, I dont think anyone is doubting that.
Regardless of Williams beating out Dorsey for the starting job in the past, that dude aint even practicing right now. 4 offseason surguries tend to do that. I just dont expect much from him till midseason but hope I'm wrong.
More than likely we are going to see Dial in there rotating with Dobbs on first and second down.
With Bowman out too, I would definitely be testing the Niners up the gut this season.
Gonna be up to the O this year me thinks. Basically all about Kap.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Weadoption":3qxzm4d9 said:
So the 49ers have some young NT options that are unproven, I dont think anyone is doubting that.
Regardless of Williams beating out Dorsey for the starting job in the past, that dude aint even practicing right now. 4 offseason surguries tend to do that. I just dont expect much from him till midseason but hope I'm wrong.
More than likely we are going to see Dial in there rotating with Dobbs on first and second down.
With Bowman out too, I would definitely be testing the Niners up the gut this season.
Gonna be up to the O this year me thinks. Basically all about Kap.

eh....not there yet in regards to the O having to do the heavy lifting.

I think the D will be OK. The Niners have kinda rotated guys through that DT spot without much dropoff and its always like "how will we replace that guy". Aubrayo Franklin, Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams before injury, Glenn Dorsey...

The funny part is those guys leave and end up not being very good on other teams. I think you are correct with Dial. I think he's gonna get some time there and get a shot to start. Most reports have him as one of the most impressive players in camp right now, but it is just camp. We'll have to see when the real bullets fly.

I think they'll be fine there.

I don't think Aldon will be out that long, I think they'll patchwork at ILB till Bowman returns (and thankfully Willis is healthy), and I think the secondary is better than peeps think.

Then again, I'm an optimist. :D

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zkoz4co said:
I don't think Aldon will be out that long, I think they'll patchwork at ILB till Bowman returns (and thankfully Willis is healthy), and I think the secondary is better than peeps think.

Then again, I'm an optimist. :D

Probably close, Smith won't miss much time and the patchwork thing is simply a grade in performance drop, not a missing body. I wonder how "fine" the Niners defense will be, but based on the previous years the dropoff experience won't put them out of the top 10 or so.

Like Wead said, the offense will likely have to make a little more contribution to keep the score margin in the ballpark.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This will be a test of the Niners depth.

In fact, I will have to say that the Niners D is going to be tested more this year than any of the last 3 years. With question marks on the interior line, question marks where Bowman should be, and question marks/inexperience in the secondary, it has the makings of a half step backwards for the defense. Niner fans confident that this is not a big deal because Dorsey is a run only defender are ignoring that the single YPC it may cost them in the middle may be the difference between 3rd and long and 3rd and manageable. I expect the Niners to be busy with tryouts to replace Dorsey, and perhaps even make a trade or bring in a higher dollar cut casualty late in camp. Whatever they do, or do not, will say a lot about the confidence they have in the unproven talent they have at that spot.

I am pretty confident that the Niners offense has gotten better. They will need it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kqdg8i44 said:

In fact, I will have to say that the Niners D is going to be tested more this year than any of the last 3 years. With question marks on the interior line, question marks where Bowman should be, and question marks/inexperience in the secondary, it has the makings of a half step backwards for the defense. Niner fans confident that this is not a big deal because Dorsey is a run only defender are ignoring that the single YPC it may cost them in the middle may be the difference between 3rd and long and 3rd and manageable. I expect the Niners to be busy with tryouts to replace Dorsey, and perhaps even make a trade or bring in a higher dollar cut casualty late in camp. Whatever they do, or do not, will say a lot about the confidence they have in the unproven talent they have at that spot.

I am pretty confident that the Niners offense has gotten better. They will need it.

Agreed on the 3 years comment. Simply because from my view, the Niners set a very high bar in 2011 that was tough to maintain in 12 and 13. That was with Bowman.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":cqge6g37 said:
Scottemojo":cqge6g37 said:

Agreed on the 3 years comment. Simply because from my view, the Niners set a very high bar in 2011 that was tough to maintain in 12 and 13. That was with Bowman.
3 years ago, the Niners D was simply amazing. 2 TDs given up on the ground all year? Smith played out of his mind, and Aldon was great in his pass rush role. They got turnovers in bunches. But...they played the hell out of those guys in those 3 years. A hella lot of snaps has taken it's toll. Willis has begun to slow, and miss games. I know they have high hopes for Carradine, but Justin is going to be impossible to duplicate. The secondary has had almost a complete turnover. The fear of the safeties is gone (I think Reid is talented, but I don't think of him as an intimidating run stuffer). No Bowman is huge, he was better than Willis last year, and it wasn't even close.

The potential fall off for that defense feels like a bit like the fall off for the Seattle offense after 2005. Too much wear and tear, too much age. If it wasn't for all the potential on that offense, I would say their window was closing. But I do think for this year they can compensate for some of that defensive falloff.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1rulwfzh said:

My confidence in replacing Dorsey has nothing do with "he's just a run stop guy". My confidence is that they've been rotating guys through that position for several years now and there hasn't been a dropoff.

They have a number of young promising guys to plug in there, but its true that they don't have any "proven" talent. My guess is that more rookies will get playing this year than in past years.

I dunno if that means they will take a step back tho. Won't say it WON'T be a step back, just saying its not a forgone conclusion.

The positions themselves....

Aldon: Nobody taking that spot will be anything close to him. That's a big loss for however many games he's out. They got by last year, but they need him. That's a loss.

Navorro: Also a big loss. They have some guys who are good players, but nobody even close to Bo. One of the things the Niners did a lot of last year was play Bo as the only linebacker when playing teams who went 4 wide all the time. Willis is now playing that position (IE, Willis is now playing the LB spot Bo was playing last year). Still...a big loss till he returns.

Rogers: To me...the switch from Rogers to Culliver is an upgrade. Culiver was the Niners best corner in 2012, tho he had a rough SB. Rogers was old and never repeated his 2011 season.

Brown: Solid but unspectacular. I liked the guy and wanted to see him back, but I do think Brock is an upgrade. Brock was probably their best corner last year. He played quite a bit with Rogers or Brown was hurt and played well. He was the one who broke up the pass that resulted in Bowman pick 6 vs Atlanta.

Nickel: Not using specific player here as it switched and Rogers actually played the slot WR quite a bit, but Jimmie Ward has looked good so far. Time will tell as he is a rookie....but the nickel CB position is the reason he was drafted.

Whitner: I've been saying for a long time that I though both Whitner and Goldson were overrated. Still, Whitner was a thumper back there and I think they'll miss him in run support. I don't really know what to make of Bethea yet. Will he be better in coverage than Whitner with a better front 7 in front of him? Dunno.

I'd certainly agree that there are a number of question marks there, but I do like the way all of the holes were addressed. Certainly there is potential for a falloff, but I like the guys they have in there. An injury tho to a position like CB might be brutal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ujolnde said:
loafoftatupu":2ujolnde said:
Scottemojo":2ujolnde said:

3 years ago, the Niners D was simply amazing. 2 TDs given up on the ground all year? Smith played out of his mind, and Aldon was great in his pass rush role. They got turnovers in bunches. But...they played the hell out of those guys in those 3 years. A hella lot of snaps has taken it's toll. Willis has begun to slow, and miss games. I know they have high hopes for Carradine, but Justin is going to be impossible to duplicate. The secondary has had almost a complete turnover. The fear of the safeties is gone (I think Reid is talented, but I don't think of him as an intimidating run stuffer). No Bowman is huge, he was better than Willis last year, and it wasn't even close.

The potential fall off for that defense feels like a bit like the fall off for the Seattle offense after 2005. Too much wear and tear, too much age. If it wasn't for all the potential on that offense, I would say their window was closing. But I do think for this year they can compensate for some of that defensive falloff.

That Run D in 2011 was ridiculous. I'd never expect to duplicate that.

I do like a number of those young front 7 players on the team, but that 2011 front 7 was special.

kearly

Reaction score
ESPN is reporting that Aldon Smith will receive a "significant" suspension. Smith and Goodell are to meet in person on August 8th.

We can only guess, but I interpret "significant" (coming from Goodell) as no less than 6 games. My guess is it will be eight. Which of course means he'll still play both games against Seattle.

Whether they rush back Bowman or not, I expect him to be about as big a factor as Clemons or RG3 were last year.

And with Dorsey, even with his contributions the 49ers finished ranked just 22nd in run defense last season by FO's metrics. (For context, they also under-rated Seattle at 14th). I don't think SF's run D is as bad as FO makes it out to be, but even with Dorsey it was vulnerable and declining. If I was a 49ers fan I wouldn't make light of this situation. Dorsey was the best run stopper on a group that is teetering.

I am not sold on that secondary. Reid is basically a solid starter, Bethea is a bit of a has-been, and the new guy from NIU has speed but has big flaws too. The corners are a lot worse. Seattle has cut corners that are better than Culliver, IMO. And Culliver is better by a sizable margin than their next best corner with Rogers shipping across the bay. I guess you could argue that SF's secondary has always been mediocre or worse under Harbaugh, so the weakness here is less pronounced. Fair point, though I think the devastating losses in the front seven will expose the secondary more than ever before.

I agree with Scotte. I see SF's defense declining while the offense picks up the slack. It is very possible that SF actually improves in the win column anyway since offense translates to regular season wins better than defense does, though this could prove to be an issue in the postseason where the reverse is true.

It's very possible that the 49ers could post the worst defense in the division and still win 12, 13 or even 14 games.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Logic be damned... I don't think it's any more than 3-4 games. They will say "significant" and then deduct the 4 or 5 weeks that he was in treatment from it as "time served" so to speak.

[edit] Besides, wouldn't that put a dent in Niner fan theories about the NFL setting SF up to win SB 49?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":32hxrouw said:
Logic be damned... I don't think it's any more than 3-4 games. They will say "significant" and then deduct the 4 or 5 weeks that he was in treatment from it as "time served" so to speak.

[edit] Besides, wouldn't that put a dent in Niner fan theories about the NFL setting SF up to win SB 49?

LOL.

Not laughing at you Laloosh...just the story in general. Just watching how a report spins into a whole story.

Adam Shefter just said in a tweet awhile back that Aldon was facing a significant suspension and would meet Goodell on Fri.

All sorts of news agencies jump all over the word "significant" as if someone is reporting it will be a long suspension when in fact all he said was that he faced a suspension. LOL. ESPN just loves to invent and then fill up website space and airwaves with essentially nothing...in this case nothing more than a tweet that used the word "significant". In the past its "is this QB elite?" and then they go on for days asking everyone's opinion about whether one guys opinion of a guy being elite is worthwhile. Round and round we go.

I have no idea how long the suspension will be. Initially I thought 8 games but the closer we get here and they way things have turned out I'm thinking more like 2-4 games. If it is 8...so be it....just think its funny the way stories get reported.

Watch...Aldon gets 2 games and then there is an uproar about why it was called a "significant" suspension and then wasn't all because Schefter decided to use that specific word while riding the train to work one day.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Anybody blowing a serious BAC level like Aldon did while driving needs a major 8+ game suspension, IMO.

(YES, MARVIN, that includes any SEAHAWKS players that do it!)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2y7nkfvq said:
Laloosh":2y7nkfvq said:

LOL.

Not laughing at you Laloosh...just the story in general. Just watching how a report spins into a whole story.

Adam Shefter just said in a tweet awhile back that Aldon was facing a significant suspension and would meet Goodell on Fri.

All sorts of news agencies jump all over the word "significant" as if someone is reporting it will be a long suspension when in fact all he said was that he faced a suspension. LOL. ESPN just loves to invent and then fill up website space and airwaves with essentially nothing...in this case nothing more than a tweet that used the word "significant". In the past its "is this QB elite?" and then they go on for days asking everyone's opinion about whether one guys opinion of a guy being elite is worthwhile. Round and round we go.

I have no idea how long the suspension will be. Initially I thought 8 games but the closer we get here and they way things have turned out I'm thinking more like 2-4 games. If it is 8...so be it....just think its funny the way stories get reported.

Watch...Aldon gets 2 games and then there is an uproar about why it was called a "significant" suspension and then wasn't all because Schefter decided to use that specific word while riding the train to work one day.

I can't argue with much of that. He may have heard a number and chose to use the word or someone else may have used it when giving him info. Either way, I don't see the league coming down on him. Just my personal opinion and as I said, I don't have anything to back that up.

I think he should sit for 6-8 games minimum (despite his rehab last year). The stupidity in the airport alone (even using the word "bomb" to a TSA agent shows the depth of his stupidity) shows that he hasn't learned a thing from his time away from the team.

lsheldon

Reaction score
During Clayton's interview this afternoon on 710, he stated he felt that the Santa Clara 49'ers would field their worst defense in 5-6 years because of injuries and suspensions.

I'm personally hoping he's right on this one.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16iuzci2 said:
Anybody blowing a serious BAC level like Aldon did while driving needs a major 8+ game suspension, IMO.

(YES, MARVIN, that includes any SEAHAWKS players that do it!)

I agree with you...

...but that's never happened.

apparently its cool to beat up your girlfriend too...but heaven forbid you smoke weed.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ezigto7 said:

Before the Rice suspension I would have thought the automatic 4, but after Rice? Goodell will probably give Smith an extra game check, along with a rub and tug.

No way Smith gets more than 2 games for the gun convictions. If he does, either Goodell realized he made a mistake with Rice and he is paying attention (Smith did get 5 convictions) or Goodell is completely off his rocker.