#20 Pick JSN v Quentin Johnston

QWERTY

Reaction score
This is going to be interesting, and I believe we will be looking at this pick every year from now.

I thought QJ was the better pick, but Im not mad or upset that they picked JSN.

This debate will be talked about same as Queen v Brooks.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Barring any injury I don’t think it’s close. QJ might be more of the physical freak but I feel their skills aren’t comparable. JSN is just one of those WR that’s smooth with everything he does and gets open. People talk about the speed but it’s not like he ran a 4.8.
Seattle has always been gashed by players like him and those types of players that are technical and savvy tend to do well especially in todays league. Geno loves the intermediate routes and that’s where JSN will eat consistently. Add in the play action? Oh man.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Strangely, both Cooper Kupp's and Jaxon Smith-Njigba's comps in their Lance Zierlein's draft profiles are Jarvis Landry, and it should be noted that Jaxon tested better than Cooper in all four tests... Vertical Jump, Broad Jump, 3-Cone Drill and 20 yd. Shuttle.

P&J made the right choice.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
JSN is a polished route runner, while QJ is more of a project. They both run a 4.5 too, so I don't know that QJ's reputation as a deep threat translates to the NFL. QJ is longer with an elite vertical, so maybe he can win more jump balls?

nanomoz

Reaction score
They're not really similar players. JSN is a slot guy. He can come in and do that job immediately and contribute.

JSN might not like that label, but that's how OSU used him and it's how Seattle will use him. At least for quite a while.

olyfan63

Reaction score
IMO, QJ is going to take a couple years of being an NFL WR to "get it" like Golden Tate did, and then only *start* to "pop" in Year 3, and truly emerge in Year 4. I do think he'll become a good pro, Pro Bowl level. Meanwhile, JSN will be ready to start and play at an NFL level from day 1, and only get better from there.

Assuming QJ does develop as a good NFL receiver, by year 4 the two *could* have comparable value to their respective teams. However, we get three more "good" years out of JSN's rookie contract than we would have gotten out of QJ. Let's say JSN shows enough the team picks up the 5th year option, and that year 5 is also a comparative bargain. (Especially with Lockett probably retired)

JSN's earlier NFL-readiness could be the difference between a playoff win or playoff loss a couple times in the next 3 years, e.g., by having JSN we convert that key 3rd down at crunch time and help the team over the hump to a playoff victory. After all, what if Kearse had caught that 3rd down pass in SB49 that could have put us in FG range and burned clock? In that hypothetical, JSN would have both gotten more separation and also made the catch, drive continues. Lockett, DK, JSN, our TEs, how's the opposing D gonna cover them all?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
JSN looks like a 3rd down cheat code. He breaks defenders ankles. That’s a different skill set than QJ, who is more a high point David Moore type.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The only other WR I’ve been able to come across that is 6ft+ and almost 200+ pounds that comps close to JSN’s 6.57 3 Cone and 3.93 Shuttle is Cooper Kupp.

If you asked me what two things were missing from Waldron’s offense in comparison to McVay’s it would be a Kupp level WR that can exploit and destroy the middle of defenses moving the chains with ease and RBs that have strong ability to factor in the passing attack.

JSN comps very well to Kupp’s size and athleticism with the same knack of always getting open and being dependable on the catch. Charbonnett reminds me a lot of a Duce Staley type RB, strong and big with upright running styles with vision and power to navigate around or through contact with similar ability to work the underneath passing game as well as the screen game. While McIntosh might not be as athletic or talented as his former Georgia alumni, his game is cut from the same cloth as Gurley, Swift, and Michel all of whom have shown the ability to make noise as receivers out of the backfield or from a WR’s spot.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
Johnston seems more like a DK type of player, unpolished physical freak. We already have that. JSN looks much more smooth and pro ready day 1 and fills the slot position which we were missing in Waldron's offense.

GemCity

Reaction score
Covering DK, Tyler, and JSN is going to be a total nightmare for opposing defenses.

That’s without including our magnificent run game and what’s beginning to look like a stout O-line.

Barring injury or some weird happenstance, I see us being top 3-5 in the NFC offensively.

It will be fun to compare the two rookies but, JSN is going to net the most production out of any of our picks (including Spoon).

Not knocking our picks…that’s just how GOOD JSN is.

Mick063

Reaction score
Read the scouting report on OBJ coming out of college. Then read the JSN scouting report. Seriously. LOOK BOTH UP.

They are almost identical reads except for two things. OBJ was accused of inconsistency while possessing elite speed and JSN has never been attributed with either. Both were attributed with elite route running skills. JSN is fast enough and more consistent. "Best receiver in the draft" is how he is commonly referenced.

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
Johnston seems more like a DK type of player, unpolished physical freak. We already have that. JSN looks much more smooth and pro ready day 1 and fills the slot position which we were missing in Waldron's offense.
yeah let's not pretend he isn't VERY physically gifted. His times were the best in like 6 years (perhaps 9 lazy to confirm) He had the fastest 3 cone and shuttle of any player and all positions in the draft. He is a fairly big, lighting quick slot who runs great routes. He set the receiving record at Ohio State. He is going to be very tough to cover for anybody in the league.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
yeah let's not pretend he isn't VERY physically gifted. His times were the best in like 6 years (perhaps 9 lazy to confirm) He had the fastest 3 cone and shuttle of any player and all positions in the draft. He is a fairly big, lighting quick slot who runs great routes. He set the receiving record at Ohio State. He is going to be very tough to cover for anybody in the league.
The only issue I have with JSN is his size. I hope he's not going to be fragile in the NFL, he's already had to sit due to injury in college.

Scout

Reaction score
Route running is very important for slot WRs. Look at some of the NFC WRs on other teams that can run routes and that is why JSN has the edge.

Keep in mind that QJ was drafted to groom and replace Keenan Allen as a boundary WR on the outside. In due time JSN may do some work as boundary WR but right now both players have different expectations.

JSN is going to attack the seem more as route running is important to make safeties pay while QJ will do his work on the boundary downfield until he further develops a more refined route tree.