2-0 in preseason

beaumaris

Reaction score
Yeah, God forbid anyone even TRY'N take anything positive or enjoy anything from these preseason games, else someone come along and pee in their cheerios.
I tried really hard not to smile last night, my Wife on the other hand, didn't even try to hide her enthusiasms...Hell, I swear to the imaginary man in the sky that she damned near woke the dead with her yelling when we got that blocked punt, & again when we got that interception.
Absolutely agree (y)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Negative thoughts are good, for the coaches, they mustn't be wearing rosy glasses. On the other hand, fans like toffee without formal training in football, I focus more on stuffs that makes me happy, like winning :)

LTH

Reaction score
A lot to like from pre-season game 2 ............

It's inspiring to see Tyreke Smith and Ben Burr-Kirven working their way back from injury after missing so much playing time.

Both could emerge as candidates for come back player of the year.
There are a lot of players on this team that inspire me.... Levi Bell is one of them, love that he lines up as a fullback! Sarodrick Thompson is another. This team is full of guys that I don't want to see go. I Love the young guys they have great spirit and I enjoy watching them play.

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
The Lions and Browns both went undefeated in the pre-season, before going winless in the regular season.

Many playoff teams have had losing records in the pre-season. W-L record in pre-season is meaningless. And should never be cited, period.

It's currently being used as a cloak by some of the fandom in an attempt to hide the continued issues on defense from the scheme and players that will actually matter when the real games start.

The guys that played late into 2nd qtr through the rest of the game--the vast majority of them will be cut once the Seahawks go from 90 down to 53. Those same players decided the outcome of the game and is why pre-season record is irrelevant in the NFL.

With that being said Mafe looked incredible, and is legit the most improved player on the team. But overall Hurtt put out another dud, and will be the main topic if the Seahawks aren't winning games.

The good news is they just might win inspite of Hurtt. They have a top flight offense, and a relitively softer schedule to start the season. But if they don't win, Hurtt is going to be public enemy #1.
My question to you is yes everybody knows that preseason is about the young guys and who plays well enough to make the team. Why would you criticize hurt in the pre season when the looks he is giving are vanilla and you haven't seen enough of the starting D to really form an objective opinion that holds weight ? I think that's a legit question.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Negative thoughts are good, for the coaches, they mustn't be wearing rosy glasses. On the other hand, fans like toffee without formal training in football, I focus more on stuffs that makes me happy, like winning :)
No one, at least not me, is saying anything negative about our 2-0 preseason record. The absence of positive thoughts doesn't have to mean that one possesses negative vibes. For me, it's neutral, indifferent. I'm neither excited nor depressed.

Years ago, preseason games used to mean something. Prior to the merger, AFL and NFL teams played each other in the preseason. John Madden was quoted as saying that Al Davis told him that as long as they beat the 49'ers (they played them once each preseason), that he'd have a job. In the early 60's, the AFL Chiefs pulled out all the stops in a preseason game against the NFL champ Chicago Bears.

It wasn't that long ago that the starters played at least a quarter in every preseason game and 3/4 of the 5th game (there used to be 6 preseason games). Now, we only have 3 preseason games and the starters play in a much smaller percentage of the available snaps as they did when there were 6 games.

So sorry if I'm peeing in anyone's Cheerios, but I'll contain my excitement for another couple weeks. It's a 17-game regular season and a month-long playoff tournament. I couldn't give a rip if we go 3-0 or 0-3 in the preseason.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Probably soon to be 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games just a matter of time. Otherwise you are right preseason means less then nothing anymore.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Probably soon to be 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games just a matter of time. Otherwise you are right preseason means less then nothing anymore.
The final score means nothing. There's a lot to be gained in player evaluations, but even those are mostly rookies and players on the bubble, players of which the team will need to make a decision on. Backups like Drew Lock get a lot of work.

There are very few differences between a preseason game and a joint scrimmage. One is that they keep score in a preseason game, and another is that fans will gladly fork over a small fortune to watch them.

Last edited:
D

DomeHawk

I usually don't enjoy preseason but I'm enjoying it this year. It's fun to watch the new players. And yes, wins are better than losses, wherever they occur.

LTH

Reaction score
I think that some fans do NOT understand that the season is a form of progression through learning, adjustment and understanding the complexity of the games positions and schemes. This is part what makes the game interesting to me. It's ultimately what separates Carroll from the rest of the coaches in the NFL, His ability to teach coaches and players in a progressive way that defines his intention and philosophy.

Just my take

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
After seeing Lock play so we'll do you still think he is crap? I'm willing to make a bet with you about Lock... waiting patiently or you could just say that he is better than you thought and give credit where credit is due?

LTH

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
There is quite a bit of value in winning, even in the preseason.

First, it can create a winning culture for all the players, on which the regular season can build.

Second, not only are the players trying to put their best on the field, so are the coaches (within scheme limitations). They still want to win, and I bet PC asks them to work toward winning.

Third, players learn how to win graciously, and what it takes to compete even against 2nd- and 3rd-string opponents.

Fourth, as was said above about those winning years with the LOB when we also won every preseason game, it became obvious that our depth was stronger than other teams' depths. That is probably correlated to winning.

Fifth, I'd rather see the Seahawks win a preseason game than my own local league team win. It's a much bigger stage, and the win matters more to my psyche. Maybe I'm shallow, but I enjoy winning. So there!

RiverDog

Reaction score
This isn't very scientific, but just out of curiosity, I checked to see which teams went winless in the preseason last year and compared their preseason performance with their final regular season record. There were 6 teams that didn't win a regular season game in 2022:

SEA, JAX, LAC, WAS, MIN, and TB.

There final regular season records were:

SEA 9-8
JAX 9-8
LAC 10-7
WAS 8-8
MIN 13-4
TB 8-9 (1st place in NFC South)

There were 6 teams that went undefeated in the 2022 preseason:

NYJ, BAL, HOU, PIT, LV, and CHI

And their final 2022 regular season records were as follows:

NYJ 7-10
BAL 10-7
HOU 3-13-1
PIT 9-8
LV 6-11
CHI 3-14

Just 2 of the 6 that went undefeated in the preseaon had a winning regular season record, and two of them while all but one of the teams that lost all of their preseason games had winning regular season records.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, record doesn't mean one thing. You can easily go to Detroit. Went 4-0, then ended up going 0-16 in the regular season. Pats go 0-4, then win the super bowl.
That being said, winning is still fun, pre-season or not.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yep, record doesn't mean one thing. You can easily go to Detroit. Went 4-0, then ended up going 0-16 in the regular season. Pats go 0-4, then win the super bowl.
That being said, winning is still fun, pre-season or not.
Everything else being equal, it's always better to win than it is to lose. But I do think that @Ad Hawk has overstated the value of establishing a winning culture. The players and coaches understand as we do how meaningless these preseason games are. It certainly didn't help the Bears or Texans establish a winning culture.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look at how we win or lose, who is in, what they did. Our depth has pulled away from teams using starters and 2nd level players, good sign, we have put guys that were UDFA against many of them and still are successful. If the I Bug stays away we will be very good and have a Kick ass PS this year.

NoGain

Reaction score
To me, preseason wins and losses mean nothing once the regular season begins. If I remember correctly, the 1985 Bears went 0-4 in preseason. What does somewhat matter to me is how players trying to make the team respond to real game situations, and winning is the organizing principle that sets up those real game situations.

I haven't done a statistical dive into preseason records, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was little correlation between preseason records and regular season results.

morgulon1

Reaction score
W Hawks 24 - Vikings 13
W Hawks 22 - Boys 14

Our offense average 23 points, our defense 13.5 points. Totally agree pre-season isn't about win or loss, it's all about testing out schemes, plays and players. BUT WE WON, and that makes me happy. Our defense averaged 13.5 points turned my head. Rookies like Njaba, Charbonette, BoBo, have introduced themselves to the league and making a name for themselves. On the defense side, umm, Derrick Hall , anyone else?
Mafe and Mike Morris come to mind. I also hope they can find a way to be able to keep Levi Bell.

Those are my three, Im sure someone can list others.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The final scores of preseason games is completely irrelevant and is not an indicator of what our regular season might look like.

Does anyone in here remember what our preseason record was in 2009, the Mora year? 4-0. Do you remember what our regular season record was that year? 5-11.
The Jim Mora Jr season was one of the most depressing seasons I ever spent as a Seahawks fan. I never liked that guy.
I'm glad the organization saw the same thing.