17 Points on Seahawks-Dolphins game

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
1. The Seahawks once again found the most creatively coronary-inducting way to almost lose. I fully expect statistics on blood pressure and heart failure to show a significant climb when reviewed in the next few years. Mom texted me, "I hate this kind of game". I can't say that, but I understand the sentiment.

2. HOWEVER, for once, the almost losing did not actually seem planned. I didn't see anything fundamentally scary about the way the Seahawks went into this game. They had the right approach and good personnel. Instead, the team was sabotaged by a couple of glaringly bad performances that happened to come at crucial positions. It was "one of those games", and in the end, the Seahawks showed the resiliency and toughness they needed. That's how imperfect teams win games (and there are no perfect teams).

3. Credit Pete Carroll and Darell Bevell for walking into this game with the right gameplan. Quick-timing passes against a severely underrated DL, not forcing Wilson to hold onto the ball to make his meal - it was exactly the right medicine. For all the immediate complaints about playcalling from the past, the Week 1 Seahawks looked much closer to the late 2015 Seahawks than anything else. I could have used some more focus on the run. This looked more like a "pass to open up the run" thing. But Pete was smart enough not to try long-developing plays with an untried OL against a world-beater DL. Small praise, seemingly, but he's tried dumb stuff before.

4. Speaking of the run, Thomas Rawls and Christine Michael acquitted themselves well. It speaks volumes that the team turned to Michael on the final drive when needed, and Michael did not disappoint. I like the elusivity, vision, and burst he's developing. Rawls, for his part, was bruising as if he'd never been injured. That push to the first down marker on 2nd and 4 was truly, as Ian Eage put it, "Lynch-esque". It occurred to me: if these two backs continue on their current trajectory in their current style, it could end up being like both 2013 Marshawn Lynch and 2005 Shaun Alexander on the field at the same time. For a year. After which Michael will probably be gone.

5. Unexpected health was fun. Pete, typically so conservative with injuries, put both Rawls and Jimmy Graham out there without ill effects. It was fun to see. It's exciting how well they seem to have healed. In addition, Jarran Reed and Paul Richardson also made it out there. With so many health-related question marks out there, this was a breath of fresh air. (How does Graham get minimal catches yet they're always the ones crucial to the win?)

6. Jarran Reed, speaking of, was great. Immovable as advertised, and with a handy penchant for knocking down balls at the line of scrimmage. I've always felt he got a little undersold over the offseason, but if he can just be an immediately functional Brandon Mebane replacement, it's worth the second-rounder.

7. The defense is back. Tremendous individual efforts throughout. Reed we know. DeShawn Shead and Jeremy Lane made huge statement about their viability, and both may end up starting regularly if we stay in a 4-2-5 habit. Bobby Wagner seems to have heard Kearly complaining about his 2015 dropoff, because he was a terror to Adam Gase's plans all game long. Kam Chancellor also looks like a man possessed once again. Frank Clark, Michael Bennett, and Cliff Avril, all disruptive. The Rams fans are talking about our defense, and not in an excited way.

8. Cassius Marsh gets his own point because woooo, game-changing plays. Three of them. This game is a loss without him. That said, he also gets his own point because he, and not Earl Thomas, was responsible for Arian Foster's 50-yard run. He rushed the passer instead of dropping back to contain, and Arian took advantage. But who cares. STRAIGHT CASH.

9. Earl Thomas and Tyler Lockett. They'll never have a bad day like that again. Tackling, pursuit, reads, all bad for Earl. A better QB would have shredded him for 27 points, 6 of them at least to Kenny Stills. Lockett, for his part, killed two drives. Not really a fan of blaming Bevell for that.

10. Give credit to the Dolphins. Foster made people miss, their receiving weapons are underrated like crazy, and of course, their DL is a supernova of pain and shattered play designs. Rashad Jones made noise. Even Tannehill did fairly well, albeit in the Jeff-Fisher-with-bad-QBs-against-the-Seahawks kind of way. Adam Gase knows he's not Brady and deployed him in conservative fashion, keeping it going with the safe passes and trying simply to outlast the Legion. He wasn't counting on Lane and Shead's aggression, but still, it wasn't a bad plan. Joe Philbin would have handed us a blowout.

11. The Ankle. The most watched ankle in all of sports right now. Did anyone else think the fates had it out for that ankle on Sunday? Not only did Wilson break it, but Cameron Wake tried blatantly to grab them on his personal foul call, and then Glowinski fell on them. It's quite a statement that Wilson is walking around right now at all, much less without a boot.

12. It needs to be said: Wilson played a role in his own injury. The man just. will. not. throw. the. ball. away. He was at the top of his drop when Suh appeared and Wilson should have known better than to try and rabbit.

13. Wilson might have also played a bigger role in that interception of his than most have spotted. Whenever an unblocked rusher comes off the line, it's usually either a blown RB blocking assignment or a blown protection call. Could have been the RB, Britt, or Wilson who failed to account for him.

14. OL did just fine given the circumstances. Assorted penalties, of course, but generally Wilson had time to do his thing and the RBs found daylight. Bradley Sowell is probably going to remain a liability against better DE's.

15. Love that the final TD was an audible from Russ to Baldwin. Love it.

16. Bring Clint back.

17. Against the Rams, Seattle would be wise to deploy the same quick-passing stuff to keep their DL honest. Same situation as Miami - epic DL, not much else going on. I do think Rawls should be a bigger part of the equation, and now that he's proven his health, I think he will be. It'll be another low-scoring game; the team with the fewer dumb mistakes will win, and Fisher WILL be trying to be that guy. He's beaten us with Austin Davis before, just by having Austin play patient and smart while the defense kept it close. We have to play their game and play it better. All there is to it.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2y7cutmr said:
MontanaHawk05":2y7cutmr said:
12. It needs to be said: Wilson played a role in his own injury. The man just. will. not. throw. the. ball. away. He was at the top of his drop when Suh appeared and Wilson should have known better than to try and rabbit.

Agree with every point but this one, good list. Watching the play, Russ hits his drop and sets to throw and Suh is on him. The closest receiver was at most 20 yards down field, if not more; Russ would have had to launch it to get in the vicinity of receiver to not be intentional grounding, and probably still takes the hit. That hit would most likely been with his arm in the air, leaving him vulnerable to a big shot by Suh and possibly something like a shoulder separation, broken ribs, or worse. The sprained ankle sucked, but it was also some what of a freak occurrence getting his foot pinned as he went down.

On an extended roll out like that the O-line has to maintain their blocks, and Gilliam had his worst play of the day. Give Russell even a half a second long on that play, it was most likely a big completion.

Agreed on this account.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Another second and on that play RW may have thrown for Luke W, who had broken wiiiiide open deep and left.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mrt144":2bc46h3s said:
FlyHawksFly":2bc46h3s said:
MontanaHawk05":2bc46h3s said:

Agree with every point but this one, good list. Watching the play, Russ hits his drop and sets to throw and Suh is on him. The closest receiver was at most 20 yards down field, if not more; Russ would have had to launch it to get in the vicinity of receiver to not be intentional grounding, and probably still takes the hit. That hit would most likely been with his arm in the air, leaving him vulnerable to a big shot by Suh and possibly something like a shoulder separation, broken ribs, or worse. The sprained ankle sucked, but it was also some what of a freak occurrence getting his foot pinned as he went down.

On an extended roll out like that the O-line has to maintain their blocks, and Gilliam had his worst play of the day. Give Russell even a half a second long on that play, it was most likely a big completion.

Agreed on this account.
Disagree with point 12 as well and the part of point 10 where you said "their receiving weapons are underrated like crazy". They seem pretty average to me. Otherwise great assessment IMO Montana.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Also Wilson was already hit a couple of times after the ball had left his hands with no flag on Miami. That probably factor in the reason for him to spin off of Suh thinking he could do it but looked like his foot had slipped and brought him to the ground. If he had moved a half a second sooner before Suh gets there even if he slipped I think he avoids the ankle injury, but like most things injuries are unpredictable.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff. With the ankle injury my wife calls it "The Ciara Effect" (little shout out to the Tony Romo/Jessica Simpson days).

Fisher and his trickery against us. Prepare for it. Personally I wish they didn't get embarrassed on national TV last night by the 49ers of all teams. I think they are going to be all the more fired up next Sunday. I agree they need to continue to employ the same general offensive gameplan (empty sets, spread) to help neutralize the pressure but I would like to see the run set up earlier a bit more if possible.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":3ftt2vnx said:
Another second and on that play RW may have thrown for Luke W, who had broken wiiiiide open deep and left.

True. Frustrating. But players throw

hawksfansinceday1":3ftt2vnx said:
Disagree with point 12 as well and the part of point 10 where you said "their receiving weapons are underrated like crazy". They seem pretty average to me. Otherwise great assessment IMO Montana.

Jarvis Landry with 194 receptions, 1,915 yards, and 9 touchdowns in two seasons? Legit numbers given the offensive mess Miami was under Philbin. Kenny Stills and Jordan Cameron, one year each with similar numbers and quieter production during their other years under similarly bad situations. And Stills almost got 50 more Sunday if he didn't drop stuff like Tyler Lockett did. Arian Foster is a solid option out of the backfield himself.

The Legion did a great job on these guys, but I still think there's a lot of potential with them if their OL can block long enough to unlock them. Gase wasn't doing a lot of downfield stuff Sunday.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Good points.

My only hesitation is that there were a handful of ill-timed play action attempts, and most of them nearly got Russell killed. Teams are all over the play action bootlegs. Especially teams with elite talent at defensive tackle.

Pete and Darrell's hope for "chunk yardage" plays are probably the motivator. I wonder if it's time to can the PA bootlegs against elite defensive fronts—except maybe in goal line situations, when the ball can easily be thrown out the back of the end zone.

dogorama

Reaction score
Good points, there is a lot of talk about the Dolphins D-line and deservedly so, but I thought that their entire defense played a really good game except for the 2-minute Seahawk's drive at the half and the last game-winning drive. As others here mentioned, we had the right game plan going in but I also think they anticipated our game plan w/their defensive game plan.

The linebackers were okay in run support and the D-backs would allow short passes but would be right on top of the tackle. Also, w/good coverage there were many times RW had to look off his first option and there just wasn't time to go to the next option w/a converging D-line. Then, they also had great contain on RW's roll-outs.

Everything seemed to change on the aforementioned drives though, that may have had something to do w/protecting against the big play that the Seahawks are known for in critical situations.

Edit: Their safety, Isa Abdul-Quddus, was named to PFF's defensive team of the week.

ARhawk

Reaction score
I don't think Lockett had as bad a day as most seem to. He didn't play up to his usual, but it wasn't terrible. The first pass he missed, Russ threw it too high, it happens. His first "drop" he actually caught but Maxwell punched it out immediately after, and we all know how good he is at punching the ball out. He did drop one third down pass that he let bounce off his shoulder pads, and that would have gone for a first down.
I don't remember his other missed targets but those few plays are the ones I assume make people think he had a bad day.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
ARhawk":19ax9okj said:
I don't think Lockett had as bad a day as most seem to. He didn't play up to his usual, but it wasn't terrible. The first pass he missed, Russ threw it too high, it happens. His first "drop" he actually caught but Maxwell punched it out immediately after, and we all know how good he is at punching the ball out. He did drop one third down pass that he let bounce off his shoulder pads, and that would have gone for a first down.
I don't remember his other missed targets but those few plays are the ones I assume make people think he had a bad day.
Russ threw it too high on that "drop" too, it's what enabled Maxwell to make the easy punch. Had it come in to his body, I bet Tyler would have secured that catch.

The offense struggled all game long and we were very lucky to outslog them (two 4th down conversions in the last minute of the game including a 4th and 11 - yikes) but dang they were close on a few of those 3rd down completions. They'll starting clicking here soon, everything recent suggests exactly that future.

mikeak

Reaction score
I was like how did he get 17 points. I took Miami at 11.5pts and got the double-cash in when Seattle won and the bet cashed :)

Then I read the post and realized it was not about gambling

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Not wishing to simply be contrarian but I agree with point 12

Even Pete in post game presser indicated that RW tries to make something out of nothing and puts unfair pressure on the Oline to protect him while he scans the routes again and again without a pass being thrown. Against a solid Dline with a capable pass rush getting rid of the ball quickly is an absolute good. It is admirable that RW does attempt to make something from nothing but he does need to just throw it away at times. Getting thumped and and injured hurts the team more than throwing the ball away and being able to play afterwards.

Frankly I believe Wilson gave up 6 points to the 'phins by his INT and fumbles.

That said I love the guy as a competitor, he is a winner and the Hawks have a chance with him playing to win every game. Hurt he doesn't help the team at all.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2miykz8z said:
But on that play, Wilson didn't have time to scan and scan for options. He hit his drop, looked at his first read and had to bail because Suh was going to kill him. When Gilliam can't maintain his block for more than a second, doesn't really matter what Wilson was trying to do at that point the play went into mitigation mode. I would rather have that than him trying to launch an ill fated pass down field AND probably taking a bigger shot.

For RW to throw that away instead of making a break for it, he'd have to realize Suh had broken free in half second after making his first read. Watch the tape - Suh is at the 25 RW at the 20 when RW sets his feet making a read. 10:59 Left in the game when RW is set, Suh is on RW at 10:58. RW additionally has Dolphins 94 pushing his blocker way back into a space he could have run to making stepping into a throw to the sideline harder so the obvious attempt to pivot back is taken but Suh is Suh and does Suh things whether he wants to or not. I didn't realize until I slowed it down and saw the time it took that Suh closed so quickly and RW was basically set in his feet. Is RW supposed to make 1 read and then throw it away more times than not?

And honestly, what in the 4 prior years would indicate that as soon as RW sees that happening he isn't going to try and run away and then throw away or try and make magic happen instead of automatically throwing it away from a stationary position which he'd have to do and get clobbered by Suh?

This conversation should have been had 4 years ago when PC was giving him a leash 10 yards long instead of throwing it away at the drop of a hat after 1 read. It's really hard to have a convincing argument that the Seahawks would be who they are with some of the bananas plays they've had if RW threw the ball away with regular consistency on par with other QBs instead of trying to run away from danger. I could almost guarantee he wouldn't have nearly the efficiency he has if he did that.

mikeak

Reaction score
Agree with later posters and said it on Monday. RW looks up and it is to late. Try to throw it there and a fumble, int or intentional grounding happens. He tries to turn realizes it won't work and goes down

Optimus25

Reaction score
I'll add to our game day discussion...

I just don't understand why kearse wasn't involved more early. I was virtually President of the '' uncork lockett early and often'' club, but those drive killing drops are kearses bread and butter.

If anything the first drop especially should have been drawn up for kearse. The corners started that game with plenty of cushion so locketts speed was virtually irrelevant. And you can tell lockett is not even remotely close to playing possession receiver for those downs because on the first one ( the almost fumble) kearse would have converted and got down like you re supposed to. Lockett making a completely unnecessary move upfield is what gave maxwell a chance at all.

So in that regard, i blame Bevell for not making the easy call of utilizing his players properly.

Should an eight yard slant be dialed for any nfl receiver?.

If you say yes i say why not use the guy we just paid who's made that catch a thousand times instead of the ferrari who's still in training?

Those plays should have went to our grocery getter kearse just like he easily converted a couple later.

dogorama

Reaction score
Optimus25":3em3vsdv said:
I'll add to our game day discussion...

I just don't understand why kearse wasn't involved more early. I was virtually President of the '' uncork lockett early and often'' club, but those drive killing drops are kearses bread and butter.

If anything the first drop especially should have been drawn up for kearse. The corners started that game with plenty of cushion so locketts speed was virtually irrelevant. And you can tell lockett is not even remotely close to playing possession receiver for those downs because on the first one ( the almost fumble) kearse would have converted and got down like you re supposed to. Lockett making a completely unnecessary move upfield is what gave maxwell a chance at all.

So in that regard, i blame Bevell for not making the easy call of utilizing his players properly.

Should an eight yard slant be dialed for any nfl receiver?.

If you say yes i say why not use the guy we just paid who's made that catch a thousand times instead of the ferrari who's still in training?

Those plays should have went to our grocery getter kearse just like he easily converted a couple later.

Agree w/you except for one thing, haven't we seen Kearse have games like that too? In fact in the '14 NFCCG, IIRC, didn't he miff like four catches, a couple of which led to INT's? In fact, the only the only catch he made that game was the game-winning TD that sent us to 49. (that was a nice recovery huh? LOL.)

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I'm one of the first folks to start screaming, 'throw the friggin' ball!' But in all fairness, how many times has RW made a big play or won us a game because of his desire to 'make a play.'?

IMHO: Sometimes ya just gotta take the bad with the good...and I'm cool with that.