100 most-sacked QB's - Russell Wilson 2nd place per year

xray

Reaction score
Disturbing stats to own ; but whats more disturbing is the real possibility of a serious injury if that continues. I wonder if there is any stat that shows how many of his sacks were self-inflicted ; for example...trying to extend a broken play or not throwing the ball away when he can't find an open receiver . :?:

Seymour

Reaction score
xray":pk29nddu said:
Disturbing stats to own ; but whats more disturbing is the real possibility of a serious injury if that continues. I wonder if there is any stat that shows how many of his sacks were self-inflicted ; for example...trying to extend a broken play or not throwing the ball away when he can't find an open receiver . :?:

Self inflicted is user / team variable.

It does not take into account Wilson's prime directive that other QB's aren't as forced to emphasise.

Do not force the throw or turn the ball over.

If you add 5 sacks (lets just say) for every INT / turnover then where does this stand??

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How many other QB's in the league have made as many huge plays he has made while running for his life? VERY few. Of course he has been sacked because of him trying to extend a play. But his turnover ratio is likely among the best in the history of the game.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yfgiuc9 said:
How many other QB's in the league have made as many huge plays he has made while running for his life? VERY few. Of course he has been sacked because of him trying to extend a play. But his turnover ratio is likely among the best in the history of the game.

Let's just hope that the sack count goes down ; because if he continues to get pounded like this , he will get hurt . He's not as elusive as when he was 22 years old .

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Most sacks that lead to injuries are the ones you never see coming. Wilson generally sees all the sacks coming so he can protect himself. I’m not that worried about injury in that setting. He’s skilled at protecting himself from the big hit.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The point, x-ray is that if they actually PASS BLOCK this wouldn't be an issue. I get the feeling that they will finally be a little better at that this year. But make no mistake about it, this team is gonna' run the crap out of the ball.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2y6lhb55 said:
The point, x-ray is that if they actually PASS BLOCK this wouldn't be an issue. I get the feeling that they will finally be a little better at that this year. But make no mistake about it, this team is gonna' run the crap out of the ball.

I have a feeling that the Hawks will make more pass attempts this year ; so the OL will need to pass block better...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dude has ran for his life his entire career. Even during the back to back Super Bowl years, the pass protection was pretty damn iffy.

D

DomeHawk

SoulfishHawk":27pyrk4v said:

it's a good point, he is unsurpassed in that category.

Tical21

Reaction score
So many half-truths in this thread already. Is there any way to hide a thread so I can't see it?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Are they including all of the playoff games each year too? Or is it just a 16 game season? Because that could skew the numbers.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, the problem with Russ is while he takes all these sacks, how many times would a different QB have either thrown it away or been sacked where Russ pulls a 30-yard rabbit out of his hat via run or pass by extending the play? It's hard to measure sacks that never happened because of his elusiveness, and that became long gains that break the opponent's spirit.

It's a strange trade-off, and it does indeed put Russ in the crosshairs for an injury (I'm not superstitious, and if you think my saying this has any power over him actually getting hurt, then just ask me to give you lottery numbers; I get 95% commission on all wins!). But thus far he's been very resilient.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he will always be good for a couple "throw the ball away!" type plays. He's my favorite player, but that doesn't mean he doesn't drive me crazy at times. :irishdrinkers:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":240ibeij said:
Are they including all of the playoff games each year too? Or is it just a 16 game season? Because that could skew the numbers.

Actually, since they have a "per game" category it wouldn't skew the numbers at all. At least not that one.

Also, I see where Andrew Luck is WAAAYYYYY down the list. So much for the myth about him having a crap line every year as the reason for him quitting.

xray

Reaction score
Tical21":psd5dnd0 said:
So many half-truths in this thread already. Is there any way to hide a thread so I can't see it?

If you think a thread has so many 1/2 truths ; then tell us the whole truth or move along to another thread . :stirthepot:

xray

Reaction score
The names with the asterisk look to be HOF QBs and most of them had the least amount of sacks too . Obviously they a had good OLs in their careers .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And really the only stat that matters is the Wins. Does he win? Yes, at a clip among the best of all time. And yes, he is as big a part of their winning as ANY other player that has been on this team with him.

Tical21

Reaction score
Seymour":2oo8ydsx said:
xray":2oo8ydsx said:

Self inflicted is user / team variable.

It does not take into account Wilson's prime directive that other QB's aren't as forced to emphasise.

Do not force the throw or turn the ball over.

If you add 5 sacks (lets just say) for every INT / turnover then where does this stand??
Do you really think his coaches emphasize this at a significantly higher rate than the majority of offensive/head coaches around the league?

calinator

Reaction score
Super misleading list. The sack total should be divided by games played not seasons. David Carr isn't even on that list. He was totally demolished his first 5 years but then spent the last 5 as a backup. He once was sacked 76 times in a year, what a damn beating lol.

Latest posts