Broncos Insider Implies Russell Wilson Got What He Deserved in Year 1

Turtle

Reaction score
2022 is a classic cautionary tale of 'be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.' Wilson was given everything he asked for, and he proved unequal to shoulder it.

Broncos fans can only hope that Payton can take a significantly humbled Wilson and get back to basics by putting him in a scheme that will cater to his strengths and be cognizant of his limitations.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/russell-wilson-got-comeuppance-year-1-broncos

Weadoption

Reaction score
unless something has truly broken in that man over the past few years, i will be shocked if he dosent significantly rebound under a heavy play action scheme. Can’t get worse than last year good lord.

bileever

Reaction score
Hubris: excessive pride or self-confidence. In ancient Greek tragedy, it was always hubris that led to the fall (and the occasional Achilles' heel).

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Russ has a really hard time staying on schedule. It will be interesting to see if Payton can design plays where he does. My guess is he will continue to off script and that will infuriate Payton.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Wilson needs to put up 40 tds and no more than 15picks doing it to come close to the Broncos reaping equivalent value given the cost of that trade and contract, for multiple years. I don’t see that ever happening. How Wilson performs this year is going to one of the most compelling stories of the season.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Broncos fans can only hope that Payton can take a significantly humbled Wilson and get back to basics by putting him in a scheme that will cater to his strengths and be cognizant of his limitations.
He was significantly embarrassed last year. For most people, that would mean the same as being significantly humbled. I'm not sure Russ has the humility required to be humbled.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Russ will automatically be better because Payton will know how to get the most out of him.

Having said that, they'll be lucky to be anything more than a Wildcard team in that division going forward. The AFC is simply too stacked for them to be considered a serious contender.

morgulon1

Reaction score
He was significantly embarrassed last year. For most people, that would mean the same as being significantly humbled. I'm not sure Russ has the humility required to be humbled.
It would be lovely to see him sufficiently embarrassed again. Ciara goes "back to the future" and mr limited is ordered to pay 30K per month support for Futures' child.

Greek tragedy haha

Mix

Reaction score
Russell has held the ball to long the last few season looking for the big play his legs can no longer extend for.

If he learns to release the ball faster, he could easily have a bounce back year.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russell has held the ball to long the last few season looking for the big play his legs can no longer extend for.

If he learns to release the ball faster, he could easily have a bounce back year.

Agreed, but releasing the ball faster requires knowing where you are supposed to throw it, and being able to see the target when he's open.

I think Payton can help Russ. I just don't see him losing sleep trying to water down a play book that would without doubt be more aggressive if not for the limitations of his qb.

Russ will either play reasonably well to good and begin to fade down the stretch, or he will quickly fail.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hubris: excessive pride or self-confidence. In ancient Greek tragedy, it was always hubris that led to the fall (and the occasional Achilles' heel).
"Pride comes before the fall".
I still think russ wasn't trying last season though for whatever reason. If he still sucks this year then I'll be convinced he's done.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
After this year denver will be in cap hell with Wilson’s contract. So really they better draft great or it’s missed playoffs for the length of his contract.

GemCity

Reaction score
I can’t see him playing as bad as he did last year.

To be honest, if he bounces back.., I wouldn’t be surprised. Or if he’s terrible again, I wouldn’t be surprised 😀

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Russ will automatically be better because Payton will know how to get the most out of him.

Having said that, they'll be lucky to be anything more than a Wildcard team in that division going forward. The AFC is simply too stacked for them to be considered a serious contender.
Payton might know how to get the most out of him, but Russ isn't going to listen. Russ can't change his style of play and he's too old for it to still be effective.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Wilson needs to put up 40 tds and no more than 15picks doing it to come close to the Broncos reaping equivalent value given the cost of that trade and contract, for multiple years. I don’t see that ever happening. How Wilson performs this year is going to one of the most compelling stories of the season.
Bronco fans are in denial. He isn’t the same as he was 6 years ago and they think bringing in Payton will help them win games. You can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig