#1 DEF vs. #2 DAL OFF

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My concern is the % of runs they are giving up that are over 5 yds. Not talking averaging out 3 yd stops with a few long breakaways.
4+ yd carries by backs that are not premiere backs. Sometimes not even starters.

I don't care about the final score. I get that scoring isn't a priority in the preseason.
But the tendency to let guys run right up the gut on us and consistently get more than 4 yds? That might be an issue.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
They missed tackles,.and struggled against the run, too. It was a collective failure for 17 plays that looked eerily similar to last season.
I appreciate your pessimism and persistence. If the above trend were to continue for more than a drive or two, I’d be pretty dejected too.

I’ll wait for a bit more evidence. I prefer to wade into conclusions. Point taken, though. Let’s see what the data says with a bit more

rjas77

Reaction score
People…look at TOP…they’re struggling to get off the field

cymatica

Reaction score
That's the point.

You have to keep the same energy.

If a bad play happens. And you say it doesn't count because it's pre-season.

Then you can't turn around and laud a good play because it's pre-season, remember?

Same energy.
No, it's not the same energy. In the preseason you are looking at individual performances as opposed to a cohesive unit. There's no game planning against your opponent, it's about getting reps and evaluating young talent, while also shaking rust and getting back into game mode.

In that sense, of course you would recognize good plays and brush off the mistakes from a fans perspective and that goes both ways. One big play against your team could be a mistake from a player that would not usually have a starting role, or the player next to him screws up and throws him off.

When I'm watching preseason, I'm looking at how the 2nd and 3rd team plays, which says a lot about the depth. I really don't care if the 1st team struggles, since 1 out of place non starter can screw up an entire play.

strohmin

Reaction score
yup its the same shit defensive scheme as last year.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
No, it's not the same energy. In the preseason you are looking at individual performances as opposed to a cohesive unit. There's no game planning against your opponent, it's about getting reps and evaluating young talent, while also shaking rust and getting back into game mode.

In that sense, of course you would recognize good plays and brush off the mistakes from a fans perspective and that goes both ways. One big play against your team could be a mistake from a player that would not usually have a starting role, or the player next to him screws up and throws him off.

When I'm watching preseason, I'm looking at how the 2nd and 3rd team plays, which says a lot about the depth. I really don't care if the 1st team struggles, since 1 out of place non starter can screw up an entire

Yes, yes. All those guys that are going to be cut from 90 to 53.

It's important they play well, not the starters and rotational players that will actually see the field when the real games start.

cymatica

Reaction score
Yes, yes. All those guys that are going to be cut from 90 to 53.

It's important they play well, not the starters and rotational players that will actually see the field when the real games start.
/Whoosh

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Sometimes when you win you really lose.

The 1st unit defense featuring starters and rotational players gave up a 17 play TD drive to Dallas who were playing 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Looking like last season, very concerning.

Buncha guys that are going to be cut outplayed a bunch guys that are also going to be cut thereafter, doesn't excite me.

Seattle's 1st unit scored 3.
Dallas didn't play any starters, just backups, scored 7.

Then the scrubs largely checked in.

Not concerned with the Hawks offense, they have a good track record. The defense, however doesn't, and this performance wasn't what I was looking to see.

cymatica

Reaction score

The 1st unit defense featuring starters and rotational players gave up a 17 play TD drive to Dallas who were playing 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Buncha guys that are going to be cut outplayed a bunch guys that are also going to be cut thereafter, doesn't excite me.

Not concerned with the Hawks offense, they have a good track record. The defense, however doesn't, and this performance wasn't what I was looking to see.
Except it wasn't the 1st string on both sides of the ball. Some 1st string players combined with non starters

It's like you don't understand how preseason works

toffee

Reaction score

And our defense rookies haven't really shined?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Except it wasn't the 1st string on both sides of the ball. Some 1st string players combined with non starters

It's like you don't understand how preseason works
Geno Smith, the starting O-Line, Dissly, Lockett, all played.

Dallas did not play any starters on offense or defense.

It's almost like you're unfamiliar with other teams rosters, not realizing the level of competition on the the field and how to evaluate what you're seeing and the context that then creates.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
And our defense rookies haven't really shined?
Hall played early, no other rookies on defense that played after the scrubs checked in will have any impact on this season, possibly ever.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It should be noted that most (if not all of) the starters who played D today didn’t last week. So this was the first live tackling they did. As we saw last week, they generally improved as they got the rust off.

cymatica

Reaction score
Geno Smith, the starting O-Line, Dissly, Lockett, all played.

Dallas did not play any starters on offense or defense.

It's almost like you're unfamiliar with other teams rosters, not realizing the level of competition on the the field and how to evaluate what you're seeing and the context that then creates.
Dallas played some starters, saying they didn't play any is just false.

Seattle played more starters for a little while. No starting RBs, Lockette barely played and no Metcalf. Geno only had 6 pass attempts and looked great, his one incompletion was a drop in a tight window. Lock only had 6 attempts and he looked good.

You are putting a microscope on anything negative in a game designed to give reps and test out players, with no game plan and a bunch of new players.