Hawks not the best in the league at this moment

plyka

Reaction score
The win was incredible! It was stupendous! But, it must also put on display the Hawks' weaknesses. The Texans are a great team, that said, they gave away this game to the Hawks. The Hawks need to work on their offense, it is not up to the level that can win the superbowl, yet. This is early in the season, there is a long way to go, and I expect major advancements. But as of right now, Denver is the best team in the league. They are more complete than the Hawks, due to the offense.

I understand that 3 linemen were out injured. But we saw the same weakness against Carolina when they had most of their offense intact. This attack is missing something. The oline is just not good enough to win. The display they put on Sunday was shambolic. Ditto for the display against Carolina. Russell Wilson had to win this on his shoulder's and the defense's back.

Cable has a lot of work in front of him. This team is capable of winning it all, but not with the O-Line play we have seen thus far in the season. Even against the 49ers at home, the offense was AWOL. Most if not all of this is due to the offensive line.

Bailey/Bowie need to get some major game time. That fat SOB who is playing LG at the moment looks lost. He was the weakest link. We need a legitimate backup center as well. The LT position without Okung is also sub-par.

The season thus far has gone great. This team is capable of winning it all. But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right. Don't let it go until the playoffs when this oline may be exposed. Okung is of the utmost importance. I thought that this oline, even with the injuries, would play much better than it did. But they failed and were bailed out big time by Wilson.

Brahn

Reaction score
5 undefeated teams atm. We are in a 5 way tie for first. Wins matter, teams are as good as they are week to week.

ask all those 2-2 teams like the Niner's or teams that are 0-4 like the Steelers and ask them if they would take 4-0 with our issues.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I don't feel that Texas gave the game away at all. We had to take it from them.

ensett

Reaction score
If they gave the game away to us, then we gave it away to them in the first place.

Brahn

Reaction score
plyka":303srgum said:
This team is capable of winning it all, but not with the O-Line play we have seen thus far in the season. .

4-0

We are CAPABLE with winning with the line as is see 23-20. Will it be a harder game? yes. But a win is a win, and we proved we can win with this line.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Brahn":2wpavspf said:
5 undefeated teams atm. We are in a 5 way tie for first. Wins matter, teams are as good as they are week to week.

ask all those 2-2 teams like the Niner's or teams that are 0-4 like the Steelers and ask them if they would take 4-0 with our issues.

We have to clarify what we are talking about here. If you're asking whether the Hawks are a top 5 team I would say of course. Are we better than the 49ers or the Steelers? Yes, quite easily. But I'm not talking about being better than 0-4 teams, I'm talking about being the BEST IN THE LEAGUE. And in order to get there, the Hawks need to fix this oline and fix it quickly.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Brahn":22thm28q said:
plyka":22thm28q said:
This team is capable of winning it all, but not with the O-Line play we have seen thus far in the season. .

4-0

We are CAPABLE with winning with the line as is see 23-20. Will it be a harder game? yes. But a win is a win, and we proved we can win with this line.

Capable of winning against Houston 23-3? Yes, it just happened. Capable of walking through the playoffs and winning the Superbowl? At this stage with this OLINE? That's another question entirely. There is no question in my mind that the coaches are talking about this right at this moment. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO MR CABLE?!?!?! You think the coaches aren't talking about this oline and how they can fix it?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
plyka":2wogohqa said:
The win was incredible! It was stupendous! But, it must also put on display the Hawks' weaknesses. The Texans are a great team, that said, they gave away this game to the Hawks. The Hawks need to work on their offense, it is not up to the level that can win the superbowl, yet. This is early in the season, there is a long way to go, and I expect major advancements. But as of right now, Denver is the best team in the league. They are more complete than the Hawks, due to the offense.

I understand that 3 linemen were out injured. But we saw the same weakness against Carolina when they had most of their offense intact. This attack is missing something. The oline is just not good enough to win. The display they put on Sunday was shambolic. Ditto for the display against Carolina. Russell Wilson had to win this on his shoulder's and the defense's back.

Cable has a lot of work in front of him. This team is capable of winning it all, but not with the O-Line play we have seen thus far in the season. Even against the 49ers at home, the offense was AWOL. Most if not all of this is due to the offensive line.

Bailey/Bowie need to get some major game time. That fat SOB who is playing LG at the moment looks lost. He was the weakest link. We need a legitimate backup center as well. The LT position without Okung is also sub-par.

The season thus far has gone great. This team is capable of winning it all. But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right. Don't let it go until the playoffs when this oline may be exposed. Okung is of the utmost importance. I thought that this oline, even with the injuries, would play much better than it did. But they failed and were bailed out big time by Wilson.

Thank you for your opinion. I do however disagree with your initial statement in the thread title.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1zp4foa2 said:
plyka":1zp4foa2 said:

Thank you for your opinion. I do however disagree with your initial statement in the thread title.

You think the Hawks are the best team in the league at this moment?

RockHawk

Reaction score
We didn't lose BECAUSE of injuries on the O-line (which was our norm for decades)
We won IN SPITE OF injuries on the O-line.

That is why we are, and will be, the best in the league.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
plyka":1te0uwda said:
But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right.

Wow, I can't believe JS hasn't thought to sign all those pro-bowl quality o-linemen that are currently unemployed and on the street! And, of course, teams are just itching to trade away their capable linemen to a team that's already dominating the league. JS needs to get on that!

12thMan1

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1hhazjnk said:

I can see it either way (though I lean more torwards Houston giving us the game than us taking it from them). Take the Panthers game for example. Earl Thomas had to force a fumble on DeAngelo Williams which is a true take away because it's out of the RB's control IMO. Whereas Schaub has a choice in the matter. Take the sack or throw a terrible pass to one of the best corners in the league when you're up by a touchdown and the opposing offense hasn't done very well against your defense all day long. All I can so is Schaub shouldn't be allowed to gamble.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34qha82p said:
plyka":34qha82p said:
But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right.

Wow, I can't believe JS hasn't thought to sign all those pro-bowl quality o-linemen that are currently unemployed and on the street! And, of course, teams are just itching to trade away their capable linemen to a team that's already dominating the league. JS needs to get on that!
Dang, it's a good thing plyka suggested all these options, because I'm sure Schnieder hasn't thought of any of them yet. I'm sure linemen off the street would be better than what we have. Hey, maybe I should try out? :roll:

Basis4day

Reaction score
plyka":3aj738n8 said:

Sorry, that won't make us better. Giving Bowie, Bailey and Carpenter more playing time will. Who are you going to be cutting to make room for these Lineman?

We have now played 3 of the top Front 7's in Football right now and still managed to win.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
You realize that we played the entire game with 30% of our offensive line being essentially guys that we would normally have on the PS right?

Against probably the best front 4 in the NFL? (Since if you check you will find the strength of the Texans is their DL - it is other areas where the weaknesses come up).

We were so overmatched that I actually was worried for the health of Wilson before this game started (this game and the Titans later, since Pollard has a history of taking guys out for the season). Midway through the 2nd quarter I was actually clamoring for us to put in TJack, not because I do not believe Wilson is a great QB but because NOBODY could survive the massive attack he was facing - and we needed Wilson for other games this year.

The point is not that we don't have some problems with the line, but most of that is we have gone up against some outright studs on the other side. Carolina and SF are both stellar at getting to the QB with their front four. But what we saw the other day was near half our line being backups or worse.

Yes, if we have to go with that line the entire year then the chances get much more difficult. But very few teams face that many injuries in one place on such a key part of the team and still come away with a win. Our line is going to get better because I doubt we face that situation again this year, certainly not with 3 OL out at the same time against a top 3 DL.

StoneCold

Reaction score
12thMan1":1bferlua said:
SmokinHawk":1bferlua said:

I can see it either way (though I lean more torwards Houston giving us the game than us taking it from them). Take the Panthers game for example. Earl Thomas had to force a fumble on DeAngelo Williams which is a true take away because it's out of the RB's control IMO. Whereas Schaub has a choice in the matter. Take the sack or throw a terrible pass to one of the best corners in the league when you're up by a touchdown and the opposing offense hasn't done very well against your defense all day long. All I can so is Schaub shouldn't be allowed to gamble.

Those options might not be the best ones or the only ones or even available ones, but if the O-line doesn't improve it will make our Superbowl run much harder. Does anyone really disagree that our Oline is a problem?

We don't win that game if Schaub doesn't make a ridiculous throw and Russell hadn't decided it's time to take off.

SC

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
The game is 2 halves... 4 quarters (sometimes 5 quarters)... Houston didn't score a point on our defense in nearly, what, 40 some minutes of game time after the half... the Hawks scored 20 unanswered.

Nothing was given... The Hawks took it from them.

Basis4day

Reaction score
StoneCold":7xuambnv said:
12thMan1":7xuambnv said:
SmokinHawk":7xuambnv said:

Those options might not be the best ones or the only ones or even available ones, but if the O-line doesn't improve it will make our Superbowl run much harder. Does anyone really disagree that our Oline is a problem?

We don't win that game if Schaub doesn't make a ridiculous throw and Russell hadn't decided it's time to take off.

SC

Defenses are always ahead of the offenses this early in the season. We're still only 4 games into the season. Every reason to believe the O-Line will improve, especially when not playing the beastly lines of Carolina, SF and Houston.

Give the opponent a little credit.

DAVE

Reaction score
We can win despide of the circunstances, I disgree with the play of Carpenter in the first half, but the second half was better for him ans like somo guys said the front line of the texans in no ahead of us.

BamKam

Reaction score
Denver is the best team in the league? You mean the Denver who has beaten teams who have a combined record of 4-12? The same Denver who has had 3 homes games so far and one away game against one of the bottom 5 teams in football? That Denver?

The Broncos have played NO ONE. Their best win was against a Ravens team who has been completely stripped down since their SB win. They aren't even remotely close to their self from last year. That game was also at home.