Hawks not the best in the league at this moment

mirrikat45

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":22y1xqlm said:
I don't feel that Texas gave the game away at all. We had to take it from them.

Absolutely. The hawks clawed their way to victory. Even the pick 6 was a bait by Richard Sherman. Texans fans can be super mad at Schaub all they want, Sherman allowed the wide receiver to appear open, then quickly cut in front to take the ball away.

That game was won by the hawks hands down. Hawks play seriously rough and physical football that wears the opponent's team down. While they want to collapse from exhaustion in the 4th quarter, becoming frustrated to the point they start making mistakes and penalties the Seahawks just keep beating face at the same intensity they started the game with.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1hbgr8q2 said:
plyka":1hbgr8q2 said:
But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right.

Wow, I can't believe JS hasn't thought to sign all those pro-bowl quality o-linemen that are currently unemployed and on the street! And, of course, teams are just itching to trade away their capable linemen to a team that's already dominating the league. JS needs to get on that!

Ugh...if the Hawks have shown anything, it's that they can find quality players that others have passed up. Your sarcastic post makes it seem as though it is impossible, which i find humorous. Should we say that about all positions? Should the team make no efforts to look for players? Perhaps in the offseason the team should just keep all the players from last year and only sign draft picks, because it is impossible to find players in any other way? Yes, sarcasm isn't unique, more than a few people are aware of its existence.

All I am saying is that it is a current weakness and they need to give 100% effort in making it better. Something which UNDOUBTEDLY they are already doing. Also, I believe your notion of a trade isn't viable. You see, when two parties make a voluntary trade, they do it because each party WINS by the exchange. If another team is strong in one position and weak in another, and they find a counter-part which is suffering from the opposite ailment, then both parties win. This is the very definition of a trade.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":cadjf8ho said:
DavidSeven":cadjf8ho said:
plyka":cadjf8ho said:
But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right.

Wow, I can't believe JS hasn't thought to sign all those pro-bowl quality o-linemen that are currently unemployed and on the street! And, of course, teams are just itching to trade away their capable linemen to a team that's already dominating the league. JS needs to get on that!
Dang, it's a good thing plyka suggested all these options, because I'm sure Schnieder hasn't thought of any of them yet. I'm sure linemen off the street would be better than what we have. Hey, maybe I should try out? :roll:

Damnit, I can't find the smiley where he is bashing his head against a brick wall, because I feel like doing this to myself at this moment....I'm not telling the TEAM what to do, we are posting on a forum here. We are not coaches or GMs. Anything we say will have zero affect on their decisions. I'm telling you I believe this is what THEY are up to. They see the weakness because they are great at what they do, and I'm sure they are trying their best to figure out a solution. I'm just relaying this thought to a FORUM.

Why do I always have to spell things out for people...just once I would hope readers can comprehend a post fully before they respond. But I doubt I will have any luck in the matter. It seems fans just read: "He said bad about my team" and "I now have to respond with something because nothing bad about my team can possibly be true!!! Arg!"

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Basis4day":eh3zqo6q said:
plyka":eh3zqo6q said:
The season thus far has gone great. This team is capable of winning it all. But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right. Don't let it go until the playoffs when this oline may be exposed. Okung is of the utmost importance. I thought that this oline, even with the injuries, would play much better than it did. But they failed and were bailed out big time by Wilson.

Sorry, that won't make us better. Giving Bowie, Bailey and Carpenter more playing time will. Who are you going to be cutting to make room for these Lineman?

We have now played 3 of the top Front 7's in Football right now and still managed to win.

Doesn't this excuse get old fast? Every week we are playing the best front 7 in the league. Against Carolina...guess what, this is THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE! Against the 49ers it was...well this is THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE...against the Texans it was, THIS IS THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE...At least now in retrospect you're claiming we played 3 of the top 7 in the league, at the time they were all best or one of the best in the league (not from you specifically, but generally from the board). I'm exaggerating a bit, perhaps it was one of the best instead of THE best, but you get my point.

Sooner or later we have to realize that it might just be that the oline is the weak point of this team, that it is an area that the team MUST fix sooner rather than later. BTW, do you believe that once this team is in the playoffs and superbowl that this team will start to play the worst front 7s in the league?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Everybody is down on the broncos schedule, but they perhaps don't realize that there is only 1 win difference between who they've played and who we've played. They have played 1 team with 2 wins, 2 teams with 1 win and 1 team with 0 wins for a total of 4 wins. We've played 2 teams with 2 wins, 1 team with 1 win and 1 team with 0 wins for 5 wins total.

I have no problem admitting the Broncos are good and right now are doing things offensively that we can only dream about and playing decent defense to boot. We are doing things Defensively that most teams can only dream about and are just decent on offense so far, and that kind of balances it out. The fact that Denver has been so dominating should get them the top spot on power polls, because power polls aren't based on who would win head to head, only on what they've done thus far, but I believe in a head to head that we can beat them and are overall, the better team. Lastly, we have to consider our current health status, and with so many pieces missing on the OL, you just have to give the nod to Denver.

I actually think we'd be better served as the number 2 anyway, it gives our guys that chip on the shoulder that they seem to thrive on.

razgriz737

Reaction score
plyka":u7xlevkp said:
Basis4day":u7xlevkp said:
plyka":u7xlevkp said:
The season thus far has gone great. This team is capable of winning it all. But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right. Don't let it go until the playoffs when this oline may be exposed. Okung is of the utmost importance. I thought that this oline, even with the injuries, would play much better than it did. But they failed and were bailed out big time by Wilson.

Sorry, that won't make us better. Giving Bowie, Bailey and Carpenter more playing time will. Who are you going to be cutting to make room for these Lineman?

We have now played 3 of the top Front 7's in Football right now and still managed to win.

Doesn't this excuse get old fast? Every week we are playing the best front 7 in the league. Against Carolina...guess what, this is THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE! Against the 49ers it was...well this is THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE...against the Texans it was, THIS IS THE BEST FRONT 7 IN THE LEAGUE...At least now in retrospect you're claiming we played 3 of the top 7 in the league, at the time they were all best or one of the best in the league (not from you specifically, but generally from the board). I'm exaggerating a bit, perhaps it was one of the best instead of THE best, but you get my point.

Sooner or later we have to realize that it might just be that the oline is the weak point of this team, that it is an area that the team MUST fix sooner rather than later. BTW, do you believe that once this team is in the playoffs and superbowl that this team will start to play the worst front 7s in the league?
It really does seem like every week all I hear about is how good the other team's front 7 is. I know there are 2 teams on the field and you have to give the other team credit, but our O-Line has been the common denominator. Is there a game coming up where we are going against a bad front 7?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
plyka":3ppiafgf said:
DavidSeven":3ppiafgf said:
plyka":3ppiafgf said:

Ugh...if the Hawks have shown anything, it's that they can find quality players that others have passed up. Your sarcastic post makes it seem as though it is impossible, which i find humorous. Should we say that about all positions? Should the team make no efforts to look for players? Perhaps in the offseason the team should just keep all the players from last year and only sign draft picks, because it is impossible to find players in any other way? Yes, sarcasm isn't unique, more than a few people are aware of its existence.

All I am saying is that it is a current weakness and they need to give 100% effort in making it better. Something which UNDOUBTEDLY they are already doing. Also, I believe your notion of a trade isn't viable. You see, when two parties make a voluntary trade, they do it because each party WINS by the exchange. If another team is strong in one position and weak in another, and they find a counter-part which is suffering from the opposite ailment, then both parties win. This is the very definition of a trade.

Sorry, my reply was needlessly smarmy. Yes, this team has found valuable players who were castoffs in other systems. However, you just aren't going to find an o-linemen who's worth a damn off the street in the middle of the season. You just don't see it happen.

canucks1970

Reaction score
plyka":28i2j8j9 said:
The win was incredible! It was stupendous! But, it must also put on display the Hawks' weaknesses. The Texans are a great team, that said, they gave away this game to the Hawks. The Hawks need to work on their offense, it is not up to the level that can win the superbowl, yet. This is early in the season, there is a long way to go, and I expect major advancements. But as of right now, Denver is the best team in the league. They are more complete than the Hawks, due to the offense.

I understand that 3 linemen were out injured. But we saw the same weakness against Carolina when they had most of their offense intact. This attack is missing something. The oline is just not good enough to win. The display they put on Sunday was shambolic. Ditto for the display against Carolina. Russell Wilson had to win this on his shoulder's and the defense's back.

Cable has a lot of work in front of him. This team is capable of winning it all, but not with the O-Line play we have seen thus far in the season. Even against the 49ers at home, the offense was AWOL. Most if not all of this is due to the offensive line.

Bailey/Bowie need to get some major game time. That fat SOB who is playing LG at the moment looks lost. He was the weakest link. We need a legitimate backup center as well. The LT position without Okung is also sub-par.

Denver is the best team in the league?? Ok that's your opinion. Who have they played in the 4 weeks? Oakland,Giants,Eagles, And the Ravens. Three of the four teams are not what I call World beaters.
You make it sound like this team is satisfied being 4-0 . And you know this how??? Do you really believe that Pete , Mr. Cable, and company aren't aware of the problem? Are you going to try and tell us that the players and coaching staff don't even bother going over the tapes of yesterday's game and figure out what they did right or wrong on certain plays..Of course they do. They're working on it,just like every other team in the league.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves and talk about playoffs. We still are along way to go and I'm pretty sure they will have the problem solved before then.
You want to mix and mingle with practice roster players? Why bother having a pre season. You think the O line is struggling now !! You do know some players need time to gel even if they are from the practice roster. And usually it takes more then a week. And what team is going to give up one of their best O line player in a trade without giving something up that will hurt our team? We lost our 3 starting offensive line players!!!! And we still manage to beat some of the best D-line in the league in San Fran,Carolina and Houston.

BigMeach

Reaction score
plyka":3v5kdk8d said:
Basis4day":3v5kdk8d said:
plyka":3v5kdk8d said:

I know you're trying to be dramatic to prove your point, or at least I hope so... But this is ridiculous, those were 3 of the best dline's in the league, and yesterday we played against a guy who might end up going down as one of the best dlinemen to ever play the game.

sutz

Reaction score
:zzzzz:

Let's see. I am happy to be 4-0.

I'm not satisfied completely with the team as it has played so far, though.

But it makes me think we haven't peaked yet. That's probably a good thing.

Perhaps we'll peak sometime around playoff time.

;)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
plyka":37dscd6s said:
Jazzhawk":37dscd6s said:
DavidSeven":37dscd6s said:
plyka":37dscd6s said:

Dang, it's a good thing plyka suggested all these options, because I'm sure Schnieder hasn't thought of any of them yet. I'm sure linemen off the street would be better than what we have. Hey, maybe I should try out? :roll:

Damnit, I can't find the smiley where he is bashing his head against a brick wall, because I feel like doing this to myself at this moment....I'm not telling the TEAM what to do, we are posting on a forum here. We are not coaches or GMs. Anything we say will have zero affect on their decisions. I'm telling you I believe this is what THEY are up to. They see the weakness because they are great at what they do, and I'm sure they are trying their best to figure out a solution. I'm just relaying this thought to a FORUM.

Why do I always have to spell things out for people...just once I would hope readers can comprehend a post fully before they respond. But I doubt I will have any luck in the matter. It seems fans just read: "He said bad about my team" and "I now have to respond with something because nothing bad about my team can possibly be true!!! Arg!"

I'm glad you cleared that up, because that's not at all they way you post came across. Pointedly obvious by the fact that more than a few of us responded in the way we did. I almost put in my response above that normally I really like your posts, but this one seemed way out of line.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":13l9skcp said:
Everybody is down on the broncos schedule, but they perhaps don't realize that there is only 1 win difference between who they've played and who we've played. They have played 1 team with 2 wins, 2 teams with 1 win and 1 team with 0 wins for a total of 4 wins. We've played 2 teams with 2 wins, 1 team with 1 win and 1 team with 0 wins for 5 wins total.

Missing a lot of context there, though. Carolina was on a bye on Sunday, but you're basically counting their bye as an L using this method. They should have beat Buffalo, too. Oakland would be 0-4 if they hadn't played JAX. They are the consensus second worst team in the NFL. Everyone who's watched Philly play the last three weeks knows they're awful.

SEA had one gimme. JAX. That's it.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
No, we are not playing the best in the NFL right now. What we are doing is reinforcing that we are built to beat anybody, anywhere, in any situation.

Denver is a great team playing at a high level right now. But ask yourself this, is wiping out all these bad teams getting them ready for dogfights in the Playoffs, in crappy weather, when the intensity is notched up even more?

Now, I'm not discrediting Denver at all. They are fantastic. What I will say is, playing them in cold, terrible weather in NYC (February) doesn't make me quiver at all. In fact, I'd say that we are the last team they'd like to face in those conditions. Will be a fun ride. Let's go 1-0 this week.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1w9rig4s said:
kidhawk":1w9rig4s said:

Missing a lot of context there, though. Carolina was on a bye on Sunday, but you're basically counting their bye as an L using this method. They should have beat Buffalo, too. Oakland would be 0-4 if they hadn't played JAX. They are the consensus second worst team in the NFL. Everyone who's watched Philly play the last three weeks knows they're awful.

Carolina is a decent team, but they aren't making the playoffs this year. And it doesn't really matter, I'm not sure what you expect denver to do, are they supposed to go out and reschedule their games to play different teams? They play the opponent on the schedule. We all have easier parts and harder parts of the year as far as scheduling is concerned. They are taking care of business as are we, they are just doing it more dramatically at the moment. Again, it isn't about whether they are BETTER than us, it's a power poll not a who's the best team head to head poll. Denver has earned a high power ranking by trouncing just about every team they've faced. We also deserve much recognition for what we've done as well. The only power ranking that means anything is the one they do in February right after the Super Bowl. I fully expect us to be on top of that one

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":3t3tl977 said:
No, we are not playing the best in the NFL right now. What we are doing is reinforcing that we are built to beat anybody, anywhere, in any situation.

Denver is a great team playing at a high level right now. But ask yourself this, is wiping out all these bad teams getting them ready for dogfights in the Playoffs, in crappy weather, when the intensity is notched up even more?

Now, I'm not discrediting Denver at all. They are fantastic. What I will say is, playing them in cold, terrible weather in NYC (February) doesn't make me quiver at all. In fact, I'd say that we are the last team they'd like to face in those conditions. Will be a fun ride. Let's go 1-0 this week.

I agree, it'll be a great game if this turns out to be the Superbowl. The Hawks have strengths in all the right places. All I am saying is that there is an obvious weakness with this team, and it's at the OLINE. The team should (and probably is) doing all they can to re-enforce this weakness. Let's hope they are successful.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kidhawk":3j8zfj3k said:
DavidSeven":3j8zfj3k said:
kidhawk":3j8zfj3k said:

Carolina is a decent team, but they aren't making the playoffs this year. And it doesn't really matter, I'm not sure what you expect denver to do, are they supposed to go out and reschedule their games to play different teams? They play the opponent on the schedule. We all have easier parts and harder parts of the year as far as scheduling is concerned. They are taking care of business as are we, they are just doing it more dramatically at the moment. Again, it isn't about whether they are BETTER than us, it's a power poll not a who's the best team head to head poll. Denver has earned a high power ranking by trouncing just about every team they've faced. We also deserve much recognition for what we've done as well. The only power ranking that means anything is the one they do in February right after the Super Bowl. I fully expect us to be on top of that one

I don't blame Denver for their schedule. But that doesn't mean I have to crown them the #1 team in the NFL either. I agree these things are silly, but a team's perceived schedule strength matters. It's built into the BCS system for a reason, and it's the reason very few people took the Falcons seriously last year.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
StoneCold":1hp4h1ht said:
We don't win that game if Schaub doesn't make a ridiculous throw and Russell hadn't decided it's time to take off.

SC

I don't think you're grasping the reality of what Stonecold said (quoting again above).
It's truth, it's beyond me how Schaub makes 2 CRAZY throws like that on the scramble (rather than taking the sack, etc), with the lead, in the 4rth. THAT is what led to the pick to get us back in, the fact he threw those ridiculous passes like that when he was gouging us all day with his throws and their running attack.

IOW: We got lucky there, he could've/should've taken the sack and ran it on us more or punt and see if they could hold our offense (which they did 85% of the day).

So really we didn't "take it" where our O proceeds to march down field and score we just took advantage of 2 dumb throws there and the D scored. Point being I just don't see other QB's making that mistake that often, so I agree - there's concern and we need to try and fix things on O (from the line through RW). Then we "dominate". :)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think the OPs point is to illustrate what is an obvious need for improvement as we head down the road. yes, the O-line has injuries, but there was always some concern in the preseason that it was thin and perhaps not as strong as we would like.

I dont mind the thought we are not the best in the league. I mean its week 4, so who really cares. I do like plyka's bringing up an area of concern I have. the mind numbing "next man up" that we see so freely draped about the forums when an injury happens is all in great spirit, but its becoming more and more apparent that

a. this team has a real chance this year (how many times have seahawk fans felt that this early?)
b. the O-line and its subsequent impact on Wilson, the running game and the passing game is the most apparent thing that needs improving.
c. Life in the NFL can be small windows. Im with plyka in that I dont want to waste this great of an opportunity and if we can fix the issue lets do it.

JonRud

Reaction score
I would agree that today the Broncos are the best in the NFL, just based on the sheer domination of their offense.

Wait until the Seahawks get back Okung, Unger, Giaco, Irvin & Harvin. This team will be better in the 2nd half of the season just like last year...and by the end of the year we will see who is the best team.

Right now Denver is scary but remember Manning loses in the playoffs every year except 2006.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The consensus "best in the league" very rarely survives to get to much less win the Superbowl the past few years. Seems teams who have to deal with adversity and injuries all year through have been doing that lately.

If the Donkeys had won the world title over the Falcons last year, I'd be a bit more worried.