Hawks not the best in the league at this moment

volsunghawk

Reaction score
plyka":3298cuuz said:
Brahn":3298cuuz said:
5 undefeated teams atm. We are in a 5 way tie for first. Wins matter, teams are as good as they are week to week.

ask all those 2-2 teams like the Niner's or teams that are 0-4 like the Steelers and ask them if they would take 4-0 with our issues.

We have to clarify what we are talking about here. If you're asking whether the Hawks are a top 5 team I would say of course. Are we better than the 49ers or the Steelers? Yes, quite easily. But I'm not talking about being better than 0-4 teams, I'm talking about being the BEST IN THE LEAGUE. And in order to get there, the Hawks need to fix this oline and fix it quickly.

What, we can't take a little time to fix it? I was thinking that we could see if Big Walt has any sons he's grooming for an O-line gig. :sarcasm_on:

Yeah, O-line play has to get better. I imagine that when Unger, Okung, and Giacomini get healthy, the play should improve. That being said, that won't happen tomorrow, so we'll just have to be content with beating playoff teams on the road by 3 instead of by 14.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
If Texas can't beat us, in Texas, at 10AM vs that oline then who can?

Only Denver deserves a place in this conversation at the moment and guess what? Denver hasn't got a D anywhere near as good as Houston's so 16 offensive points is the minimum we should score, in the afternoon, on a neutral field.

Can Denver put up enough to beat us vs our D? No, I truly don't think so. I'd give us 55/45 odds to win.

So yeah, we're the best in the league, oline woes or not.

Largent80

Reaction score
Take a serious look at Denver's weakling schedule. They are doing what the Hawks did to the NFC west for years. They are Far from the best team. Then they have Mr. Game losing I n t in the playoffs as a qb.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'll take the hawks as the best in the league. If the undefeated teams were playing, there's no doubt in my mind Seattle stands tall after all is said and done.

Also.

Denver is terribly overrated (right now) and their schedule is a joke. They shouldn't be considered the best in the league because they should be 4-0 right now...anything less would be a failure.

Zowert

Reaction score
I knew there would be a thread like this after the win on Sunday. Its impossible for some folks just to be happy that we're 4 and 0.. There are more than a handful of teams in the NFL that would LOVE to have the Seahawks' problems while sitting at the top of their division (undefeated).

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Zowert":liu42xnh said:
I knew there would be a thread like this after the win on Sunday. Its impossible for some folks just to be happy that we're 4 and 0.. There are more than a handful of teams in the NFL that would LOVE to have the Seahawks' problems while sitting at the top of their division (undefeated).

And how many teams in the NFL would be happy to trade their O-line for ours (even at full strength)? I would say few.

I'm happy with the win, I love the hawks, but this is a @#@'ing forum. People discuss things. To me this post addressed two very separate themes 1) who is the best in the league 2) the O-Line. Without commenting on the first, I will say that the O-line is below-average. I will also say that the mantra of "we just played the best front 7 in the league" is wearing thin.

hawker84

Reaction score
A clutch win in the shadow of extreme adversity and people still feel the need to complain. amazing.

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawker84":6k31djvz said:
A clutch win in the shadow of extreme adversity and people still feel the need to complain. amazing.

I really don't understand this attitude. Can't you be happy with the win and realistic about the team? Do you really think the Oline is great? Has no issues? Is headed for the hall of fame? This is football not my wife. Can't I tell them they look fat in that Oline without sleeping on the couch for a night or two?

SC

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I think everyone is entitled to their opinion here. The "we're 4-0, have a happy day" folks are more than justified to just bask right now, and the "these are our problems" people are also legit and not necessarily Chicken Littling.

CEHawk

Reaction score
Well in points for and against ratio of the 4-0 teams.

1. KC 102 points for vs 41 points against. 2.48 ratio.
2. Seahawks 109 points for vs. 47 points against, 2.32 ratio.
3. Broncos 179 points for vs 91 Points against. 1.97 ratio.
4. Patriots 89 points for vs 57 points against. 1.56 ratio.

If you add in schedule difficulty, I would rank best teams:

1. Seahawks
2. KC
3. Broncos (possible tie with Patriots)
4. Patriots (possible tie with Broncos)

Football outsiders will have us ranked far above the Broncos since they are adding schedule difficulty in this weeks rankings.

Offensive output does not define the best team...

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I don't think that anyone on this forum or in the hawk's organization can honestly say that they are satisfied with the O-line play this week but we STILL came out of this week with the W. However, picking people up off the street (or trading) will not help us in the short term. McQuistan, Lem, and Bowie have been with us through all of camp and therefore know the playbook and our terminology. Putting in someone from outside the organization severely cuts down the playbook available to the offense which I think can only hurt us at this point.

That being said hopefully we get healthy quick because we've given up 13 sacks through 4 games (on pace for 52 sacks for the year). That's a good way to get your QB hurt. RW willed us to that victory. 53 rushing yards in our 99 yard TD drive (after the fumbled snap at the 2 put us on the 1). Even as great as he is, that formula isn't sustainable for long term success. On the plus side, a lot of our problems seemed to come from interior pressure, delayed blitzes, etc. which can be better dealt with by a veteran center setting protections. Although I haven't heard anything conclusive, Unger is the only starting lineman who might be able to come back this week (after Giacomini's surgery) and his leadership will greatly help those around him. Carp looked lost for most of that game and Sweezy was just overmatched (understandably so). Have to wait and see on the Carroll press conference to see the reality of it though.

As for the Hawks not being the best team in the league. We're 4-0. Let the prognosticators talk. I'll take the wins.

General Manager

Reaction score
I agree that the Offense needs to get better, as far as Seattle not being the best in the league you could make an argument for the Hawks because of our defense, it is the best in the league clearly.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Baffled. Considering what he had to work with (two 7th round picks, one a rookie, starting vs. Houston) Cable is essentially a miracle worker. I do not get the criticism coming his way. We've seen games where a rookie tackle gives up a handful of sacks and commits a handful of penalties... that didn't happen. From what I've heard Russell is healthy and ready to play this week...

It's fairly apparent that Carolina, SF, and Houston have some of the best front sevens in the league. It's likely that they are all top five, I'd say. Anyone would struggle -- I think it's amazing we've done as well as we have against them.

As fans, we want every group of players to be the best in the NFL, but the truth is that with the salary cap, it's impossible to have that. We have two pro bowl players on the offensive line (who are both out) and we're doing amazingly well considering they are not able to play.

It will be interesting to see how Denver performs when they get to play a team with a real defense.

I also think it'll be interesting to see how P. Manning does when he gets into some serious weather... snow and rain tends to make passing harder, and he did play a lot of games in domes in previous years.

HawkWow

Reaction score
plyka":115bdv0l said:
Jazzhawk":115bdv0l said:
DavidSeven":115bdv0l said:
plyka":115bdv0l said:
But between now and playoff time, they need to kick this OLINE into gear. They need to go out and try some olinemen off the street. They need to make trades (don't know if this is possible). They need to try out some practice squad members. They need to drill this oline over and over and over again and get them playing right.

Wow, I can't believe JS hasn't thought to sign all those pro-bowl quality o-linemen that are currently unemployed and on the street! And, of course, teams are just itching to trade away their capable linemen to a team that's already dominating the league. JS needs to get on that!
Dang, it's a good thing plyka suggested all these options, because I'm sure Schnieder hasn't thought of any of them yet. I'm sure linemen off the street would be better than what we have. Hey, maybe I should try out? :roll:

Damnit, I can't find the smiley where he is bashing his head against a brick wall, because I feel like doing this to myself at this moment....I'm not telling the TEAM what to do, we are posting on a forum here. We are not coaches or GMs. Anything we say will have zero affect on their decisions. I'm telling you I believe this is what THEY are up to. They see the weakness because they are great at what they do, and I'm sure they are trying their best to figure out a solution. I'm just relaying this thought to a FORUM.

Why do I always have to spell things out for people...just once I would hope readers can comprehend a post fully before they respond. But I doubt I will have any luck in the matter. It seems fans just read: "He said bad about my team" and "I now have to respond with something because nothing bad about my team can possibly be true!!! Arg!"

Silly mistake. Next time, title the thread something like "SHERMAN IS WAY COOL". Then continue with something like...

"Man, I sure like the Sherminators hair. I wonder if he goes to a salon? I wonder if Cable Likes Sherm's hair? I know it's a sin, but sometimes I feel like we should never involve T-Cabe in drafting O-linemen again. Other times I wonder how he's even kept his F'n job? Do you guys think Sherman has a cat and what do you think the cat's name is"?

The above is more likely to be embraced than "Hawks not the best...." That was just reckless.

"Questioning the greatness of the Hawks makes you a bad fan just as questioning your government makes you a bad American". ~ F'n me

hawk45

Reaction score
Love where the team is at, love the mental toughness on the road, all of it.

The OL is atrocious (at the moment).

These 2 statements can exist side by side.

Impressed with Cable re: run blocking, unimpressed with the pass blocking and have been for his tenure. I hear PEHawk's point about how it's difficult to build a line that can do both without just dumping a lot of capital on the OL, so considering how little we invest in the OL and how we drag nobodies out there to play, yes, I suppose I'm happy that they can do *something* well, and that is the reason we can be successful. The bargain bin approach to the OL, and Wilson's low cost to the team, mean we can invest in a killer D and the skill positions.

Our passing offense will not be functional, however, until we can get something resembling pass pro for Wilson, further, if he gets killed then all of it goes for naught. That's my concern for the future. We have not had a solid passing game this year (Jax does not count).

We will have to have that at some point, yes, even against a good front 7, if SB is our target. Lots of time left in the season to find it, and our gritty road wins have given us wiggle room to find that protection in time to still roll with HFA. That's what I hope happens.

I'm going to continue to hope week after week that we do better protecting Wilson and I'll continue to cringe every game he gets blasted, even if he does handle it extremely well and uses his skills to stay alive.

Best team in the league? Eh. Not sure. Best team at home? Yes. Best team in the 4th quarter? I lean yes. I'm thrilled with that. If we can't find pass pro all this year, as long as we have HFA we still may be SB bound, Wilson's health remaining good. Gotta find protection for the SB win though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This entire thread is based on a BS premise. It is objectively impossible to measure who is the best team in the league after 4 games. There is a process by which the best teams are annually measured, I hear that process is called playoffs. Also, the OP proposes we fix our O line now. If he has some magic beans that cure sore knees, injured feet, and beat up arms, I am sure Pete is willing to fix the problems right now.

Last year Cardinal fans were having this very discussion. 4-0 ain't shit.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
RockHawk":3rdskvti said:
We didn't lose BECAUSE of injuries on the O-line (which was our norm for decades)
We won IN SPITE OF injuries on the O-line.

That is why we are, and will be, the best in the league.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2pq3y5s8 said:
This entire thread is based on a BS premise. It is objectively impossible to measure who is the best team in the league after 4 games. There is a process by which the best teams are annually measured, I hear that process is called playoffs. Also, the OP proposes we fix our O line now. If he has some magic beans that cure sore knees, injured feet, and beat up arms, I am sure Pete is willing to fix the problems right now.

Last year Cardinal fans were having this very discussion. 4-0 ain't shit.
You obviously have no clue what you are talking about, as ESPN, NFL.com, CBS Sportsline, Yahoo, and all the rest have Power Rankings that tell everyone in no uncertain terms how good the teams are. It's official you know. If the apocalyptic zombies attacked tonight and the season had to end, whoever is on top of the rankings is declared the Super Bowl winner.

I better add this just in case: :sarcasm_off:

kearly

Reaction score
It's only four games, but I would agree that Seattle is not the league's best team in this moment in time. The Broncos have a much easier schedule, but they look like a well oiled machine, whereas Seattle has been hamstrung by a multitude of factors and is playing well below their potential. Sure, we're 4-0, but we could easily be 3-1 or even 2-2.

I think my #1 concern right now is Bevell's inability to adapt for Wilson this season. Last year our protection was actually decent, so he got away with things, but this year teams have figured out how to exploit our protection schemes as well as Wilson's inability to throw from a collapsed pocket. I keep waiting for Bevell to retool the offense to counter-adjust, but through 4 games, (8 if you include the preseason) it hasn't yet happened.

The protection was genuinely bad against Houston, but you would expect that. The protection was bad in the previous games as well, but that was due to a variety of factors (empty backfield plays in blitz situations, Wilson holding the ball, inability to hit dumpoffs and hot routes). IMO, I'd put less than 50% of the blame on the sack problems on the OL for the previous three games. The Houston game was a different case, obviously, but I don't think we'll see as challenging a situation as having 3 backups vs. Houston again any time soon.

Also, our LBs really, really sucked in the Houston game, and the secondary is slipping as well, it's just being masked by the INT numbers. We still have a good secondary, but their performances week to week have been really uneven this season.

drdiags

Reaction score
This year's offense hasn't taken hold yet. Play has been uneven since the opener. Forgetting about the record or the national perspective of the team, there are some growing pains happening on both defense and offense. It is a credit to the organization that they have done as well as they have while their core reforms. Gone are a few vets and in comes some new replacements and Free agents.

The team has faced two stern tests on the road and a emotional one against the prior season's Superbowl participant. I would want to see what this team looks like after 8 and 12 weeks to make a determination on what they have for the long haul. New D.C. and OL in flux just doesn't allow me to get comfortable with how high this thing will fly.

I share some of the concerns the OP has.

I really cannot say who the best team is right now. Trending right now in the NFC in my mind are the Saints, Lions, Seahawks and Bears (until the egg they laid in Detroit). In the AFC , the Chiefs, Pats, Broncos and Colts are showing they have to be dealt with. The 9ers, Packers, Cowboys and Falcons would round out the next tier in the NFC for now and the Texans, Ravens, Titans (until Jake's injury), Bengals and Dolphins would be my next tier in the AFC. Browns, Bills and Cardinals are dark-horses. But this is just the quarter mile marker.