I don't think Witherspoon is going to make it

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's afraid of contact. It's no wonder with that skinny body, but I don't think he makes it through the season.

I was puzzled by his play, but after reading his draft profile, it all makes sense.

"Witherspoon's length and his ability to mirror and match in space should launch him into early playing time, but his unwillingness to tackle and hit will be a complete turn-off for some teams."

"Tape of his run support is not for the weak

Almost always in a state of retreat when run heads his way

Unwilling to step downhill and stick his nose in to help contain the edge

Passivity against the run cost his team two touchdowns against Michigan"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ahkello-w ... ffde1da4f1

Mad Dog

Reaction score
well that's one thing Flowers has over Spoon.

Maybe the Hawks taught him the right technique so he's less likely to hurt himself and more game to tackle someone.

Rule of Hawks CB's. If you can't cover you at least have to tackle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
They're not going to cut a player that signed a 4M fully guaranteed contract.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2a3o1d17 said:
Can we trade Penny for a serviceable corner??

Seattle is in big trouble at corner…

If you don't think Penny is worth anything, what kind of corner would you expect to get in trade that could actually help or improve the position? :Dunno:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kin9mqe said:

They cut Matt Flynn, and his guarantee was *WAY* more than 4 mil. 2.5 times more, in fact, and that was in 2012 dollars.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1k8ibmt8 said:
Can we trade Penny for a serviceable corner??

Seattle is in big trouble at corner…
Just traded a 6th for Sidney Jones IV. :2thumbs:
Trade Flowers and Penny for whatever picks you can get.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
GeekHawk":kixzwnil said:
Sgt. Largent":kixzwnil said:

They cut Matt Flynn, and his guarantee was *WAY* more than 4 mil. 2.5 times more, in fact, and that was in 2012 dollars.

When they cut Flynn, it was after his first season, and it saved cap $$. Cutting Witherspoon saves nothing as far as cap. Not that they wouldn't do it, When they cut T.J. Whosyourmomma, he had a bunch of guarantees that they just ate because he couldn't play anymore.

flv

Reaction score
Cutting him doesn't save any money and replacing him costs extra. That said if he's not good enough to be 1 of your best 5 CBs you bite the bullet and move on. I don't think he's so bad you do that at this point.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Think Flowers would suddenly be a better player if he just changed his name from Flowers to something like Canine or Cheetah? He would at least get a better alphabetical ranking.
The guy can play and he's made plays to prove that, but he is just not consistent enough.

gabel

Reaction score
I payed close attention to Witherspoon. He looks slow, easily beat long and inside. I think the coaches have seen the same thing. Nothing pisses Carroll off more than a CB who gives up the long ball.

I have hated Flowers for the past 2 years BUT, I thought he has looked better than any other CB on the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flv":z1kkamly said:
Cutting him doesn't save any money and replacing him costs extra. That said if he's not good enough to be 1 of your best 5 CBs you bite the bullet and move on. I don't think he's so bad you do that at this point.

If Witherspoon isn't a starter, then you can develop and work with him in practice, gives you time.

But this doesn't change the fact that you spent 4M guaranteed on a bench player. So Pete and John either WAY overvalued Witherspoon, or missed the boat entirely on scouting him.

I can tell you one thing, I'm tired of picking up the Niners scraps for starters. That's not a good sign of your own drafting and development............at a position your HC is a supposed expert on.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow! Traded to the Steelers! And a 2023 5th is good compensation. John and Pete seem to do great with that round.

I'm feeling a little redeemed for my original post, his lack of physicality cost him a job here. I doubt he makes the year with the Steelers.

:woohoo:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Good call, ivotuk.

And a 5th next year is equivalent (or thereabouts, so it's been said) to a 6th this year. And unconditional, too!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ivotuk nailed it. :2thumbs:

Witherspoon just didn’t look like a Seahawks CB, weak in man coverage and unwilling to tackle. Every play I saw him involved in in the preseason was a disappointment.

Getting rid of him got rid of the burned toast smell he gave off. Let’s see what else the team does at CB.