James Williams Saftey Miami

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Diggs and Adams most likely will be gone next season. Seattle needs another safety to go along with Julian Love. Not just any safety though, and not someone undersized. But someone who isn't afraid to tackle and can punish some of these recievers that seem to have been making a living in the middle of Seattle's secondary as of late. Enter James Williams. At 6 ft 5 and 215 pounds, Williams has the size, speed and strength to inject some physicality into Seattle's safety position that has desperately been missing since the departure of Kam Chancellor.

Screenshot 20240104 112051 Chrome

James Williams Scouting Report

Strengths

• Elite size outlier with a lean frame, impressive length, and high-end explosiveness.​
  • Flashes eye-popping corrective burst and range to seal off second-level running lanes.​
  • Shows off bristling closing burst into contact once he’s able to align his hips and attack.​
  • Long-strider mold allows him to cover large amounts of ground in open space.​
  • Aggressive downhill attacker who can obliterate blocks with length and power.​
  • Makes a point to drive force at contact and levies jarring hits on opponents.​
  • Patiently plays gaps, squares up, and slabs runners with exceptional tackling form.​
  • Has the versatility to enter the box as a weak-side linebacker and play in support.​
  • Has the size, speed, and physicality to contend with tight ends out of the slot.​

Current Draft Projection and Summary

Williams grades as a potential top-100 prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft. Based on schematic preferences, he could go as early as Day 2, or he could also slip into the Day 3 range and be a priority Day 3 prospect.

Williams’ profile, as well as his projected role, is very unique and more confined than most prospects. At 6’5″, 215 pounds, Williams is undoubtedly a size outlier at the safety position, with the high-end explosiveness to channel immense amounts of force at contact.

As one might expect, Williams’ best plays come in run support when he’s able to unfurl his explosive athleticism and unleash his hard-hitting physicality at contact. Not only is he aggressive, physical, and rangy in the box, but he also has solid angle IQ, block deconstruction skills, and tackling form.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This kid has all the size you look for!

Miami has made some safeties in its history!

Darryl Williams (also was a Seahawk and a punisher) was also a Miami product and you don’t even have to say Ed Reed and Sean Taylor!

You can probably do worse but I’m perfectly fine with this guy James Williams playing Strong Safety for the next decade.

Hopefully, with this era NFL football, hopefully, the kid is also a ball hawk, cause let’s be honest, as safeties, you just can’t hit hard anymore in the NFL…..everything is a flag or targeting and ejection now.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I really like his game.

I hope that I am wrong, and ultimately it shouldn't matter when a dude can flat out play, but I have some concerns that he will run poorly at the combine. Jayron Kearse has ended up being pretty solid in the league as a 6'4 safety, but that 4.6 40 dropped him to the 7th round after his strong college career. Maybe Williams will run faster, but watching him in games, I am not confident that he will. He is a flat out ball player though.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I really like his game.

I hope that I am wrong, and ultimately it shouldn't matter when a dude can flat out play, but I have some concerns that he will run poorly at the combine. Jayron Kearse has ended up being pretty solid in the league as a 6'4 safety, but that 4.6 40 dropped him to the 7th round after his strong college career. Maybe Williams will run faster, but watching him in games, I am not confident that he will. He is a flat out ball player though.

While running in shorts is never a solid indication on how someone will perform in real time, I do hope the best for the young man. With that being said, it may work in Seattle's favor having him slide a bit, seeing as how they do not have a 2nd round pick this year.

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Why?

They have Love and Jerrick Reed.

And which one out of Reid or Love, both of who are free safeties if I may remind you, do you suggest we play at strong safety to help with run support in the box and cover tight ends in a defense that currently ranks 30th in run defense and 27th in total defense? 5 ft 11 195 pound Love or 5 ft 9 196 pound Reid??

Last edited: