So what do the Seahawks do.....

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Now that D Lawrence signed a monster deal what do we do with Wilson, Wagner, and Clark? I don’t see how we can afford all 3. Who gets traded or how do you see things panning out? I wonder what compensation we could get for each ..

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think all 3 get signed but that means probably the second tier guys or guys ending their rookie deals go elsewhere. Probably a few more plug n play journeymen on cheap 1 year deals. I would guess Frank Clark goes elsewhere if they cant afford all 3 of them that is of course Wilson doesnt go elsewhere.

summesm

Reaction score
if any we lose Clark I'm afraid and depends on how much they have to give Wilson there good chance we lose Reed also which would be real bad. He really played great and will only get better. I just wonder how Dallas will do it with all there young great players deals coming up.

massari

Reaction score
Don't like the idea of Wilson and Clark combining for around $60M of cap space per season, and I'm not trading Wilson unless they're guaranteed a QB prospect with a high floor like Andrew Luck was. Or unless he clearly want to be elsewhere.

Trade Clark for hopefully a 1st then draft an edge rusher in the 1st and gamble on Ziggy Ansah staying healthy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's a doable thing along with retaining Reed, but something has to give elsewhere.

To me I am waiting to see Britt off loaded as his contract may not fit and he has trade value at present. As well the team has Hunt, Pocic, and Henry waiting in the wings and will need to deal with Ifedi next offseason (C'ya, thanks for the penalties). Thankfully the team has a genuine OLine coach again after the Fable years so development of a few younger players is more likely.

However, if you think we have problems imagine how tough it will be for Dallas or LAR with all their young talent coming due next season.

The team has a Gordian Knot to untie for sure.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I can see them retaining Reed over Clark, especially now. They'll probably trade Clark for a 1st (Or a late 1st and 5th)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You need a trade partner and with his likely contract not many will be willing to pay even a 1st for Clark. Something is going have to be done elsewhere to keep Wilson Wagner, Clark, Reed and quite a few others if the team pays $20 mil./yr for Clark.

It's a crummy year to have so few draft picks, thanks for nothing McDowell and Lane. Curious situation for JS it will be interesting to watch him work around it.

I agree with the prioritized need to keep Reed, but that will only be the case if Clark can't be signed to something reasonable for the team to deal with other players.

massari

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2rog2ms8 said:
You need a trade partner and with his likely contract not many will be willing to pay even a 1st for Clark.
That's what I thought too considering the Pats were only able to get a 2nd for Chandler Jones a couple years ago as well, but Mike Garafolo recently said that there's "no question" Clark would bring back a "high 1st" in a trade.

Why haven't the Seahawks already pulled the trigger if this was possible though?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
massari":2x9u1knt said:
jammerhawk":2x9u1knt said:
You need a trade partner and with his likely contract not many will be willing to pay even a 1st for Clark.
That's what I thought too considering the Pats were only able to get a 2nd for Chandler Jones a couple years ago as well, but Mike Garafolo recently said that there's "no question" Clark would bring back a "high 1st" in a trade.

Why haven't the Seahawks already pulled the trigger if this was possible though?

If I am correct, he's still technically a FA because he hasn't signed the tag, so I don't believe they can trade him until he signs.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe all three will be resigned. Maybe Wagner not this offseason but next. As for Clark, now negotiations should pick up since Lawrence agreed to his deal. The market should be clear. He’ll probably get a deal somewhere between Lawrence and Dee Ford’s deals.

bradhawk69

Reaction score
It appears tough to keep all three but JS says it can be done here: https://www.seattlepi.com/sports/seahaw ... 733509.php. If anybody would know it's him so yes I think they will keep all three and Jarran Reed because the cap is going up every year and we will have 11 draft pick next year with the compensatory picks. Don't panic, no one is getting traded, these guys are the core of the team. Go Hawks!

poly1274

Reaction score
Once frank signs a new deal, he would miss this season doesn’t he need surgery?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He has two elbows which have problems that have never been identified, likely epicchondilitis (tennis elbow). Normally the elbow has just a few problems which are healed with rest, but they are slow to heal.

Unless the ligaments are torn completely off the elbow he won’t need surgery.

Tical21

Reaction score
They can't keep all four. With any three, they would be paying more than any other team pays their highest four.

Largent80

Reaction score
This off season may be the most challenging for JS.

What with only 4 picks in a defensive heavy draft and with only around 30 mill of cap space.

Right now I would say Indy would be the best trade partner, but I really don't see the Hawks panicking much, and neither should we as fans.

Pretty much the cap keeps going up, and the players are getting paid more. In 2 years from now 20 mill for a player like Clark may be small.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
massari":2o1adqfi said:
jammerhawk":2o1adqfi said:

I dunno.

The Pats got a second for Chandler Jones and just last month the Chiefs got a second for Dee Ford -- in my eyes those guys feel like decently decent comps to Frank Clark and what his value would be on the open market.

I think that's for two reasons:

(1) You have to factor in that the reason the Hawks are trading him also applies to the other team in the transaction: The cost for Frank Clark isn't just a second round pick, it's a second round pick PLUS 10% of your salary cap each year for the pleasure of having him.

(2) There's a simple market inefficiency between the truly elite players and the very good players. In a rational market Khalil Mack being worth two first round picks and Chandler Jones being worth one second round pick doesn't make any sense, but it's the world we live in. And the irrationality of that market is mostly on the truly elite side (e.g. why the Thaler and the MIT Sloan folks insist that from a value perspective the Raiders absolutely destroyed the Bears in the Mack transaction).

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":3c4jey38 said:
They can't keep all four. With any three, they would be paying more than any other team pays their highest four.

Yeah, and they can't pay the LOB, their all-pro Mike, KJ, Avril, and Mike B, Jimmy G, & ADB while paying their QB & RB. Oh wait, they did. :roll:

I've ran the numbers on the salary cap calculator on overthecap, and it easily can be done. Just look up Rodgers, Lawrence, etc. And structure it that way and watch what happens. They fit.

Also understand the money that isn't spent this season rolls into the next season. It is a rolling cap.

It gets even easier, when you factor in Britt & Baldwin are coming off the books in the not too distant future.

Seattle is just doing there due diligence, and competing to get the best value. I've been puzzled by it personally, but they also have more inside info than me. (I have none.)

Clark should've been done last year. Wilson would be done at $35M APY, or thereabouts. Pussyfooting around in the long run just ends up costing you more money. Mahomes is going to come in at $40M APY, easy. So sitting around and waiting makes no sense to me.

They also know things that we don't know about the players, that might be scaring them off from committing long term. Either that or they are really bad at negotiations now and are having trouble keeping up with the market, and where it is heading. Which I don't think is the case.

John & his crew do an excellent job on contracts. My only quibble being signing your All-Pros to 4 yr deals instead of the standard 6 yr extensions. ET @ 10M APY for the next 2 seasons without the hold out last off-season sounds pretty good right now don't it? He wouldn't have held out until the summer of '20, if at all.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, I have a co-worker who is already blaming Russ for stuff that hasn't happened, so there is that :roll:
If we lose someone, apparently it's because Russ is "selfish" and wants a big contract. Yeah, he's the only guy who asks for a big contract when he's a top tier QB. :?
As far as Clark goes, they are in a tough spot overall. Is he truly worth 20 mil a year? That's a big chunk of change, but it's the going rate for the next guy up unfortunately. I love Frank, but I wouldn't be opposed to a trade IF a team is willing to give up what the Hawks want.

summesm

Reaction score
Fade":2ebwqiqq said:
Tical21":2ebwqiqq said:

Yeah, and they can't pay the LOB, their all-pro Mike, KJ, Avril, and Mike B, Jimmy G, & ADB while paying their QB & RB. Oh wait, they did. :roll:

I've ran the numbers on the salary cap calculator on overthecap, and it easily can be done. Just look up Rodgers, Lawrence, etc. And structure it that way and watch what happens. They fit.

Also understand the money that isn't spent this season rolls into the next season. It is a rolling cap.

It gets even easier, when you factor in Britt & Baldwin are coming off the books in the not too distant future.

Seattle is just doing there due diligence, and competing to get the best value. I've been puzzled by it personally, but they also have more inside info than me. (I have none.)

Clark should've been done last year. Wilson would be done at $35M APY, or thereabouts. Pussyfooting around in the long run just ends up costing you more money. Mahomes is going to come in at $40M APY, easy. So sitting around and waiting makes no sense to me.

They also know things that we don't know about the players, that might be scaring them off from committing long term. Either that or they are really bad at negotiations now and are having trouble keeping up with the market, and where it is heading. Which I don't think is the case.

John & his crew do an excellent job on contracts. My only quibble being signing your All-Pros to 4 yr deals instead of the standard 6 yr extensions. ET @ 10M APY for the next 2 seasons without the hold out last off-season sounds pretty good right now don't it? He wouldn't have held out until the summer of '20, if at all.
Exactly what i been saying about what I call dragging you feet . Like you said we have no info like Pete and John but why do they let other teams set the market just like what just happened. Frank must be worth keeping they put the tag on him . be carful or it's going to happen with Russ, Bobby,and one n one talking to much about Jarren Reed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but Bobby's the one we need to let walk. He's older than Clark, and though he's been incredibly impactful and the defense will NOT be the same without him, the greater need is impact pass-rushers, period.

It sounds ridiculous to let go a Pro Bowler in his prime, but people were saying the exact same thing about Earl and Sherman right up until December 2016. Advancing age does bring increased risk, and though losing Bobby would be a blow, losing a double-digit pass rusher would be a bigger one. It's always lack of pass rush that's killed us in the playoffs. Always.