Would you trade Jamal Adams if we had no dead money?

Would you trade Jamal Adams to free up 5 million if no dead money?

• No, we gave up so much draft capital we need to stick with it even if it's not working.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes, if we have 5 million dollars more we would have $16,724,698 and can save the team.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I'm not sure, can we even trade Jamal Adams with no dead money?

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Tokadub

Reaction score
I saw a recent thread that asked if we should trade Russell Wilson:

https://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175027

This is what I wrote in the trade Russell Wilson thread:

Tokadub":1ho0zy33 said:
I haven't read the responses to this thread yet but I would say 100% no!!!

Trade him for who???

Maybe some of the responses have some ideas there?

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single trade scenario to move Russell Wilson.

Just watch the first drive of our last game. Wilson is throwing insanely accurate darts over the middle.

I don't know why we couldn't move the ball later in the game, I don't know if I'll figure that out but I need to analyze that game more to be honest.

But if you look at Russell's good throws that game, he is still a top 5 QB no doubt.

I think a better poll would be would you be in favor of trading Jamal Adams? I WOULD TRADE HIM FOR NOTHING if someone takes on his contract. I WOULD LITERALLY GIVE AWAY JAMAL ADAMS JUST FOR THAT 5 MILLION CAP SPACE THIS SEASON.

I don't follow the business side of football down to the little details but if we could get rid of Jamal Adams with no dead money, pretend it never happened (even with losing draft picks) I would pull that trigger immediately.

I voted yes assuming we could trade him with no dead money, I'm not sure if that's possible.

I think Ryan Neal is better than Jamal Adams in our scheme.

Ryan Neal had 2 Interceptions last season in just 4 starts:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NealRy00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamJa00.htm

Ryan Neal also had 5 Passes Defended in 4 starts compared to Jamal Adams who had 3 in 12 starts...

CONCLUSION:

Nobody has seen a lot of Ryan Neal due to the disastrous Jamal Adams trade. But Ryan Neal reminds me of Earl Thomas in Strong Safety form. HE IS A BALL HAWK, HE ATTACKS THE PLAY AND WINS A LOT.

If it wasn't for the disastrous Jamal Adams trade Ryan Neal might be an upcoming super star based on what I've seen in his limited play.

Ryan Neal looks like a starter Jamal Adams looks like a joke. Just my opinion... I don't think the coaches are gonna figure it out though.

If you do a quick mathematical comparison with Ryan Neal's small sample size he is infinitely better than Jamal Adams so far:

Interceptions:
Jamal has 0 (or undefined) Ryan Neal is literally infinitely better in this category.

Passes Defended (average per season if starting every game):
Ryan Neal = 20
Jamal Adams = 4

Ryan Neal is either infinitely better or 5x better based on Interceptions and Passes Defended last season...?

Fade

Reaction score
I wanted to trade Jamal Adams during the off-season.

Not because I think he is a bad player, but he literally doesn't fit the scheme. He needs to be in a 3-4 defense that brings blitzes from everywhere like what he was in with the Jets. Square peg, round hole.

Pete said after last game they are still trying to figure out how to use him. LOL.

Signing Jamal Adams to that contract is literally the definition of sunk cost fallacy.

The damage is done, now it's about getting a new defensive coach that can bring in a scheme to fit Jamal's skill set next year. The current regime doesn't know how to use him and never will.

QWERTY

Reaction score
It's not about the dead money that's the problem, it's how much picks can you get from him?

Atradees

Reaction score
This team isnt going anywhere fast. Its time to clear up the bad contracts and bad draft picks; fire the staff. Adams is a loose cannon. For every good thing he does a bad thing. We have been living in the past for a long time. Poona Ford and Al Woods are not first stringers. One cannot skimp on the trenches. Thats a hallmark of the Carrol era.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
QWERTY":2kx32wsq said:
It's not about the dead money that's the problem, it's how much picks can you get from him?

Nobody is going to give up anything more than a 5th or 6th round pick to take Jamal and that stupidly huge contract...

Best case scenario we get a 4th round pick if some team loses their whole defense to injury.

If you actually look at the amount of money going Jamal's way compared to how mediocre he is in our scheme (and maybe many other schemes + he is injury prone I think he's STILL hurt...)

No sane team will take Jamal Adams even for his current contract, I think you can forget about any picks even 5th and 6th round seems like a stretch to me.... He's just not that good. We really pooped the bed on this one.

massari

Reaction score
Tokadub":10v1yc8y said:
Nobody is going to give up anything more than a 5th or 6th round pick to take Jamal and that stupidly huge contract
If a team traded for him after the season, they'd get him for about $11M APY for 4 years. Bargain of a deal.

Meanwhile the Hawks would be stuck with about $7M in dead money for each of the next 4 seasons.

Too bad the Hawks just didn't go all in on Jalen Ramsey instead. :(

Elemas

Reaction score
So, Jamal Adams is an All-Pro on a bad team (Jets) but, he comes here and you want to trade him?

Sounds like a coaches problem to me…fire/trade the coach.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":lqy2eqkm said:
I wanted to trade Jamal Adams during the off-season.

Not because I think he is a bad player, but he literally doesn't fit the scheme. He needs to be in a 3-4 defense that brings blitzes from everywhere like what he was in with the Jets. Square peg, round hole.

Pete said after last game they are still trying to figure out how to use him. LOL.

Signing Jamal Adams to that contract is literally the definition of sunk cost fallacy.

The damage is done, now it's about getting a new defensive coach that can bring in a scheme to fit Jamal's skill set next year. The current regime doesn't know how to use him and never will.

Nailed it!!

Adams doesn't fit here and cannot be used properly because the DB's on an island is a disaster. Say he gets 1 sack in 10 attempts. We are exposed now for 9 out of 10 of those plays and we all see the result of that now. Add to that, pass coverage is very suspect and we are screwed, and blew our wad just to get there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jamal Adams reminds me a lot of Mark Barron. Mark was a safety but struggled at that position in the NFL with the Rams. They moved him to LB and instantly he started playing better. Jamal is a better talent than Mark but I think a position change like that would beneficial. Put Taylor back on DL and make JA an LB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":14bq5re9 said:

This is year 2 and still no idea. That's just downright scary.

I never wanted him to begin with (resources should have been spent on other positions of importance), but people were chomping at the bit about how important the SS was to Petes defense and how much better he would make it and here we are with the worst secondary and defense in the entire league.

The picks given up for him and the money they gave him is absolutely insane. Its moves like this that has the team headed in the direction that they are.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawkfan68":273b0e0z said:
Jamal Adams reminds me a lot of Mark Barron. Mark was a safety but struggled at that position in the NFL with the Rams. They moved him to LB and instantly he started playing better. Jamal is a better talent than Mark but I think a position change like that would beneficial. Put Taylor back on DL and make JA an LB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Barron

Taylor is on the DL. SAM is an edge setter.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Those stats are laugh out loud funny. Just blindly assuming Ryan Neal defends 20 passes based on a small sample size.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This thread is simply more negativity. This place needs to renamed a Seahawksnegativity.net.

It isn’t just a matter of what was traded for him it’s genuinely a mattter of how good a player he really is. Eventually the DC or new DC will figure out his best use. Adams is a perpetual Pro Bowl level player some patience is needed.

After all last season he only made the Pro Bowl playing in 12 games only and he set an all time league record for sack from a S and forced critical stops in several games.

No way I trade him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
mistaowen":bjowxc89 said:
Those stats are laugh out loud funny. Just blindly assuming Ryan Neal defends 20 passes based on a small sample size.

It’s also not taking into account scheme. Losers think a strong safety in a cover 3 scheme is supposed to have 5 picks a year, and that’s not the case.

It’s been 11 years and Seahawks fans still can’t differentiate cover 3 jobs from cover 2, and expect everything to emulate madden.

I hate it here.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1wq53di9 said:
This thread is simply more negativity. This place needs to renamed a Seahawksnegativity.net.

It isn’t just a matter of what was traded for him it’s genuinely a mattter of how good a player he really is. Eventually the DC or new DC will figure out his best use. Adams is a perpetual Pro Bowl level player some patience is needed.

After all last season he only made the Pro Bowl playing in 12 games only and he set an all time league record for sack from a S and forced critical stops in several games.

No way I trade him.
but it DOES matter how much we traded for him. We spent two first rounders plus we gave him a sizable portion of our cap. You cannot divorce Adams from the capital it took to acquire him and thus the opportunity cost. This trade is really going to limit the flexibility of the Seahawks going forward in a significant fashion.

As far as how good of a player Jamal Adams is -- he is a good player, but that doesn't mean he's ever going to live up to his potential in Seattle. He came from a completely different system in NY that is very far removed from the things Carroll likes to do on defense. One of his coaches said something to the effect of: "Oh he's really going to be bored in Seattle's defensive scheme". Those words have proven to be prophetic thus far. He was a perennial pro-bowler and all-pro on the Jets. This season he looks lost in coverage and has been hot and cold in the open field.

Now, what about last year? He broke the sack record! Yes, he did -- but you have to realize something here. Every time he failed a blitz he left a hole in the coverage. His pass defense skills were also lacking last season compared to what it was in NY. We're seeing a continuation of his degradation in play compared to NY.

I think it's been made abundantly clear that he is not a good fit in our system. Carroll panicked and traded for a player that does not fit what he likes to do on defense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Then adjust the D to maximize what he does so well.

In time even the ponderously slow to adjust Norton will get that.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I like Adams and although we overpaid I want to keep him.

That being said I have absolutely no faith any more in PC and JSs ability to effectively use cap space. They’ll look for cast off projects and older players with a good history but bald tires.

PC and JS are waaaaay past their expiration date. Even RW isn’t going to be able to save this team any longer.