Would you be mad drafting this guy at 16?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Aren't there higher rated OL players on the draft board besides this center? I mean if we stayed and drafted OL at 16?
That depends on how highly you rank Powers-Johnson. Some people, including me, think he’s the best offensive lineman in the entire draft. Bears already have a good left tackle, but if I needed a stud left tackle, I’d have to use the #9 pick. They are gone before #16.

Seahawks and Bears both have greater need for interior OL than the tackles.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
You are making my point. It wouldn’t cost nearly that much to move up to #9. A second round pick plus #16 should do it. It would cost a lot more than that to move from some spot lower than #16 in 2025 into the top-5 to get your QB.
You think the Bears give up #9 for #16 and next year's 2nd? I don't think I buy that.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
That depends on how highly you rank Powers-Johnson. Some people, including me, think he’s the best offensive lineman in the entire draft. Bears already have a good left tackle, but if I needed a stud left tackle, I’d have to use the #9 pick. They are gone before #16.

Seahawks and Bears both have greater need for interior OL than the tackles.
I probably would trade back and get a second round pick. Pick the best OL or DL in the first. Move Metcalf for at least a couple of 2nd round picks. Pick the best offensive or defensive players in the second. If JJ or Nix were still available at 16 I would take them instead of the OL.

Holmgren was the GM from 1999 to 2002. He made two of the most important trades in team history: He traded a 10th overall and third round pick to Green Bay for Matt Hasselbeck, the 17th overall pick and a seventh round pick. Holmgren also traded Joey Galloway to Dallas for their 2000 and 2001 first round picks. He built the offense that led Seattle to Super Bowl XL. Holmgren had very little knack for defensive talent. His major achievement on defense was drafting Rocky Bernard, though selecting Ken Lucas in the second proved modestly successful too. Holmgren also failed at detail work. He could spot great offensive talent like Steve Hutchinson and mid-round systems players like Darrell Jackson, but his rosters lacked depth

CPHawk

Reaction score
We really need to address qb first as its very possible Penix, Nix and McCarthy go by the first or early second. Both Bo and Mike are players that we have waited for A year for.

This years class I see as better than 2025, in which Shedeur Sanders is being forecasted as a top prospect; if true, that’d make the class of 2025 look Like 2022 whereas your top picks were Kenny Pickett and Desmond Ridder.
Will Sanders even make it out of 2024 healthy? His dad seems set on getting him stats, no matter how many hits he has to take.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You think the Bears give up #9 for #16 and next year's 2nd? I don't think I buy that.
It is worth 350 points on the draft value chart, so would be a fair trade. It all depends on how Poles values what he can get at #9 compared to what he thinks he can reasonably get at #16. Personally, if Odunze is not available at #9, I am doing this trade for a shot at getting JPJ at #16. It also depends on whether the QB John wants is there at #9. This has to be a draft night trade over the phone.

Poles traded for Ryan Bates today. That makes me worry that he’s still trying to solve the center problem on the cheap. Caleb deserves better.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A center? hell no. And no, it has nothing to do with where he went to school.

Now if Fautanu is available at 16? Hell yes.
And yes, he played for UW, so I'm sure I'll be called a UW homer. Nope, he's a great fricken O Lineman, and this team needs to build in the trenches.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
A center? hell no. And no, it has nothing to do with where he went to school.

Now if Fautanu is available at 16? Hell yes.
And yes, he played for UW, so I'm sure I'll be called a UW homer. Nope, he's a great fricken O Lineman, and this team needs to build in the trenches.
I doubt Fautanu will be there at #16. BTW, Dane Brugler (The Athletic’s draft guru) has a mock with Seahawks trading down from #16 to #20 with Steelers and drafting Powers-Johnson. Or, if can’t make that deal, just draft JPJ at #16. Hell yes! Actually, I want the Bears to do this trade.

P.S., Are you giving up on Cross at left tackle?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I promise you; this kid is a BEAST. He will be a hell of a draft pick for whatever team is lucky to get him.
I'm not saying he WILL play guard. I'm just passing on what some have said could happen to start.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I promise you; this kid is a BEAST. He will be a hell of a draft pick for whatever team is lucky to get him.
I'm not saying he WILL play guard. I'm just passing on what some have said could happen to start.
Okay, but Powers-Johnson is a bigger beast and he DID play guard all of 2022 before shifting to center in 2023. Seahawks have greater need for interior OL than at tackle.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I would be hugely surprised if they use a first round pick for the OL. But then, a lot of their first picks have bamboozled me over the years.
You must admit the interior OL needs help.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Okay, but Powers-Johnson is a bigger beast and he DID play guard all of 2022 before shifting to center in 2023. Seahawks have greater need for interior OL than at tackle.
Well, that's your opinion. I've seen every game he's played for the Huskies, and he is absolutely worth the pick.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I wouldn’t draft a tackle to play guard. Just draft a guard. In general, a first round pick plays the same position in NFL.
That's not always true when it comes to OL (especially given the much wider, er, variance in size/skill amongst college linemen vs. NFL) and I've seen a number of analysts who project Fautanu as a guard at the pro level.

I'd draft Fautanu as a guard but also as insurance/depth at tackle.