Witherspoon

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Spoon looked good today. He'll only get better.
I love your optimistic posts lately.

And I agree. Spoon was a lot of fun to watch. I was keying in on him in the second half and he stood his ground. I know Dalton and Chark/Mingo aren't world beaters, but he was very solid and reliable out on Sherman Island today

knownone

Reaction score
This time, it was just because he flies all around the field and has a really, really special way of getting to the ball from wherever.

Judging by ESPN's stats, this blogger is not crediting Witherspoon with the final TD. Based on his tweets, I'm assuming he's a Seahawks fan, though. So I'll continue to reserve judgement until more reputable sources release their numbers.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I love your optimistic posts lately.

And I agree. Spoon was a lot of fun to watch. I was keying in on him in the second half and he stood his ground. I know Dalton and Chark/Mingo aren't world beaters, but he was very solid and reliable out on Sherman Island today

This was the first I got to watch him and I paid attention to him mostly. He's going to be fine.

morgulon1

Reaction score
We need more Spoon types mentality.

Jarrod Reed is playing his ass off .

This defense held Carolina to approx 3 yards per carry.

Biggest concern is injuries , this team needs to toughen up. This is a brutal job and all teams deal with it. Seattle had 8 starters out ?

cymatica

Reaction score
If Witherspoon remains relatively healthy in the coming years, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this Jalen Carter debate will subside into irrelevance. He's that dynamic.
Maybe he'll turn into what Adams was supposed to be at safety

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is why I hate knee jerk reactions and the instant gratification crowd that tends to criticize young players before they even begun to get it started.

Witherspoon in 2 games thus far as been as good as any Seahawks draft pick in the Carroll ERA. Considering that Witherspoon has pretty much missed most of the off-season/training camps, and preseason and with Carroll having an affinity to restrain his young players from doing too much, too quickly. The fact that Witherspoon is not only starting but playing at a quality to dominant level for like at least 80% of his snaps is just a testament to his ability. Last 2 games, I keep hearing the radio announcers say that Witherspoon looks like he’s been in the league for years and even though he bit on the gimmick play like most unprepared, rookie CBs would have done. He probably is a lot further behind in his development because of the hamstring injury, I’m just saying if Witherspoon is really just scraping by on pure instinct and natural ability right now then this is just the tip of iceberg for him and the Seahawks might have just really drafted a generational type talent which is hardly a guarantee no matter how good the draft class is or how many premium picks you might hold.

And just for clarification I’m not saying he’s going to be a shoe-in HoFer, he obviously needs to go prove himself each and every week, but from his small sample size it looks like he in the very least has all the key ingredients to be a quality all around type player whether run, pass, ball hawk, tone setter , and future leader in the defensive backfield.

Whether he’s worth the the draft slot is ultimately your opinion, but you can’t deny he’s proving he not only belongs and can play in this league but his potential might be progressive enough to reach a dominant and elite ceiling if he’s able to go the distance to make it happen more physically speaking than mentally.

knownone

Reaction score
So what did your judgment tell sans advance stats? Just based on what you saw?
Well, from the stands, I couldn't tell how many catches Witherspoon had given up. I believed he was being targeted, which is supported by the evidence in this thread. Other than that, I thought he looked good.
My initial statement was conditional. I did not say, "he had a lot of tackles because he was targeted." I said essentially, "Typically, when this happens, X...." And I even clarified that I'd like to see how he grades out before judging. But people can dunk on it all they want.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Well, from the stands, I couldn't tell how many catches Witherspoon had given up. I believed he was being targeted, which is supported by the evidence in this thread. Other than that, I thought he looked good.

My initial statement was conditional. I did not say, "he had a lot of tackles because he was targeted." I said essentially, "Typically, when this happens, X...." And I even clarified that I'd like to see how he grades out before judging. But people can dunk on it all they want.
all good, G. And I don't think anyone is "dunking" on it. ✌🏿