Witherspoon

knownone

Reaction score
By the way, PFF has Witherspoon targeted 13 times for 5 receptions and 31 yards (43 if you include the PI).

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Witherspoon really did play well. As others have mentioned, the TD was not on him. They were playing a cover 3 and Reed was out of position.

Strike that - Reed was wildly out of position. Dalton staired down his man the entire play, and Reed floated to the other side of the field leaving a big hole right in the middle. The ball ended up being caught about 10 feet from where Reed started the play. I'm not sure what Reed saw, but it wasn't a great rep from him.

That one isn't on Witherspoon.

14:10 here

JPatera76

Reaction score

At the 7:47 kj Mentions Deshawn Shead talking to him about, wanting Seattle to get witherspoon before the draft even happened.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Not only his tackling but his containment is high elite level. When you can run stride for stride with a running back and bully his ass to the sideline for a one yard gain it makes you appreciate his instinct and tenacity. He’s a dog and I’m glad we got him on our team. He’s a rookie so mistakes happen, but he’s already adjusted to game speed against 2 pocket passers and is I feel ready to make his presence known defensively

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Witherspoon really did play well. As others have mentioned, the TD was not on him. They were playing a cover 3 and Reed was out of position.

Strike that - Reed was wildly out of position. Dalton staired down his man the entire play, and Reed floated to the other side of the field leaving a big hole right in the middle. The ball ended up being caught about 10 feet from where Reed started the play. I'm not sure what Reed saw, but it wasn't a great rep from him.

That one isn't on Witherspoon.

14:10 here

Our 6th round pick, Jerrick Reed II, getting reps and learning? Now THAT is fantastic!! Even if he got burned on the play, it's reps and "education" that will serve him well going forward. Data: Jerrick Reed had "0" defensive snaps in games 1&2, and got 12 defensive snaps this game. (As opposed to Special Teams snaps, which he gets lots of)
Source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedJe00/fantasy/2023

Just another data point about the high quality of the Hawks' 2023 draft!

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Our 6th round pick, Jerrick Reed II, getting reps and learning? Now THAT is fantastic!! Even if he got burned on the play, it's reps and "education" that will serve him well going forward. Data: Jerrick Reed had "0" defensive snaps in games 1&2, and got 12 defensive snaps this game. (As opposed to Special Teams snaps, which he gets lots of)
Source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedJe00/fantasy/2023

Just another data point about the high quality of the Hawks' 2023 draft!

Agreed. I think we were far enough ahead that we started to sit those who were playing through injury (e.g. Diggs and Love) to give some of the young guys some snaps. It's good to get rookies some snaps, but to do so in a way that them missing an assignment doesn't cost us the game.

My main points above were simply that the TD wasn't Witherspoon's fault. And frankly, the TD probably wouldn't have happened if Diggs were still in.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Agreed. I think we were far enough ahead that we started to sit those who were playing through injury (e.g. Diggs and Love) to give some of the young guys some snaps. It's good to get rookies some snaps, but to do so in a way that them missing an assignment doesn't cost us the game.

My main points above were simply that the TD wasn't Witherspoon's fault. And frankly, the TD probably wouldn't have happened if Diggs were still in.
I'm also recalling... the Hawks have lost TWO Super Bowls due to DBs going down during the game, Marquand Manuel in SBXL, and Jeremy Lane in SBXLIX, and not having NFL-caliber backups. Pete is super-aware of this, guaranteed. Sub in Etric Pruitt in XL, and an injured Tharald Simon in XLIX, and both gave up game-losing plays.

So let's hope we have the opportunity to have a backup DB go in during the big game and play NFL-caliber ball against a quality opponent, and THIS TIME, make plays that thwart the opponent, instead of being taken advantage of. Kudos to Pete/Clint for getting a guy like Jerrick Reed II in for reps and education so that he's ready when the call comes on a bigger stage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Witherspoon will soon make people get over that other guy............Or at least he should.
Then again, it IS OK that both teams made a great pick.

That's not how it works around here. We must cling to our incorrect preconceived opinions like grim death, and then spend the next decade profusely arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet about them.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Witherspoon will soon make people get over that other guy............Or at least he should.
I hope he does.

Carter is also having a great start so far, on limited snaps

Character concerns may have been overblown.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
After 3 games? Ok.......
Again, this obsession with dwelling on guys from other teams never ends. Who cares? They got a good one, and so did we. BOTH can be true and ok.

olyfan63

Reaction score
For me, it was a key realization that snap counts are very different. Witherspoon plays around 100% of the snaps per game, while Carter played 45% of the snaps in his most recent game. Perhaps Carter will evolve to be more of an every-down player. Certainly Carter is being very effective as a rotational player.

It's all about 3rd down... if Witherspoon helps us get off the field with coverage... If Carter helps the Eagles shut down 3rd down with pass rush... great choices by both teams.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Spoon really fits that mold. That tough nosed corner Pete loves. A guy that likes to hit and tackle and make plays on an island. It will be fun watching this defense grow around him

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
This kid is for real the guy has something the d desperately needs.

Latest posts