Witherspoon

Maui12thman

Reaction score
I knew if Hawks drafted a DB early it would be based on one particular skill set- that being tackling. After last year’s disastrous tackling efforts by the secondary, I believe they got their guy. Spoon is an outright nasty dog and will be a pro bowler real soon.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If people can't see that this kid is going to be special, I'm not sure they ever will (most seem to get it)
He balled out, in his second ever NFL game.
He is ridiculously good in coverage, already. GREAT draft pick.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
I get the Jalen Carter thing but, there’s a lot of logic in these very forums that speculate why we, and several other teams, passed on him. We saw the red flags but I’m sure there is more. Who’s to say he would thrive in Seattle?

How many teams are salty that they passed on DK?

The only thing that really gets me about it is…D-line is our biggest weakness imo. What if we would’ve grabbed Tyree Wilson early? Folks were ranting and raving about this guy. While it’s still wayyyyyy too early to tell, he’s not looking all that hot.

But, I’m 100% happy with Spoon. He’s going to be an All-Pro guy. No one should be disappointed with this pick…he reminds me of Jamal Adams…but at CB.

I don’t think it’s going to be long before he enters a “Top 3” CBs conversation.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Typically, when a CB has 10+ tackles, it's because he's being targeted. I'll hold judgment until the advanced stats start rolling in.
It's that "Targeting" that's going to sharpen him up a lot quicker.
To be honest though, IF I were an opposing Quarterback, I'd try'n take advantage of his newbie inexperience playing in the NFL.
The kid is going to build it better, I mean Woolen, Weatherspoon, & Brown, are you kidding me?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
11 Tackles, 8 Solo, 2 PDs

Everyone screaming Jalen Carter who plays 50 percent and this man played 98 percent and kept on it the whole game with some decent very good hits too

I like this kid..... lets hope Riq is back next week since tre is probably out at LEAST 2 weeks

not sure what happened to Michael Jackson from last year.. as he was much better on those dip and go routes etc before
He's coming along that's for sure -

He was all over the place yesterday -

Nice to see - I was SO worried about that contract shit and suspected attitude problems - but NOPE.

And this is just the start for him!

hoxrox

Reaction score
Spoon looks sticky as hell. Like what I'm seeing so far.

On that PI, was that contact past 5 yards, or a BS call?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well, from the stands, I couldn't tell how many catches Witherspoon had given up. I believed he was being targeted, which is supported by the evidence in this thread. Other than that, I thought he looked good.

My initial statement was conditional. I did not say, "he had a lot of tackles because he was targeted." I said essentially, "Typically, when this happens, X...." And I even clarified that I'd like to see how he grades out before judging. But people can dunk on it all they want.

No dunks, but just because he's targeted doesn't = not good.

His passer rating was 46 on those 13 targets, that's elite CB play in this league. If the passer rating was 80? Then yeah, you've got a point.

I just like Spoon's swag and how physical he plays. That's exactly the kind of player our defense needed desperately.

toffee

Reaction score
Witherspoon did good in the Panthers game, but some might say against an experienced but over the hill QB. The next 5-10 games will be interesting as OCs have game films to strategize with, but Witherspoon would be gaining experience at the same time.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Witherspoon did good in the Panthers game, but some might say against an experienced but over the hill QB. The next 5-10 games will be interesting as OCs have game films to strategize with, but Witherspoon would be gaining experience at the same time.

He's a rookie, there are going to be rough patches, like getting burned for the flea flicker.

All I care about with rookies are;

1. Are they learning from their mistakes
2. Are they progressing with the defense
3. Are they playing aggressive and not reactive and scared

So far so good with Spoon. Love his energy, love his aggressiveness....and certainly love his swagger. Again, this defense needs that edge again.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Well, that would be an assumption based on poor reading comprehension.
Your original comments would lead most to believe you either were unsure or didn't think Witherspoon played well. For those of us that watched the game it seems quite obvious that he played awesome and was a greatly impactful player. Now you are just being an jerk, talking crap about someone elses reading, when in fact you brought this on yourself.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
You original comments would lead most to believe you either were unsure or didn't think Witherspoon played well. For those of us that watched the game it seems quite obvious that he played awesome and was a greatly impactful player. Now you are just being an jerk, talking crap about someone elses reading, when in fact you brought this on yourself.
I don't see it this way. I think most people can read and understand a conditional statement. What happened here is people jumped to conclusions about my opinion. And I was caught off guard by the reaction and tried to make sense of it then. Furthermore, I wasn't talking crap about any specific poster's reading ability. I attacked the interpretation that another poster made of HGwellz's response. HGwellz is an intelligent dude. I enjoy his perspective. From my perspective, the continued insinuation that I didn't watch the gamewhich is also implied in your postwas based on a misreading of a conditional statement. And, I merely matched the tone others have sent in my direction because—as it turns out—implying someone's perspective is so invalid that they couldn't possibly have watched the game is somewhat insulting. But whatever. Send more condescension in my direction.

Maybe you read my comments; perhaps you didn't—but I elaborated on why I was unsure about his performance and withholding judgment.