Winning is a skill

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Winning is a skill. Not easy to coach or teach either. I will say that ugly or not, this team knows how to win. People can call it luck until it's done consistently. This team seems to do this with enough regularity that it's part of who they are. They don't get down and never lose confidence that they can win. Do they have things to work on? Sure. But they are 7 - 1 despite the issues they can work on.

I'd rather have a team with this intangible ability to grit out a win than a team like Denver who pummels everyone with ease and then the playoffs start and guess what happens. Games get tight and gritty and the those who are battle tested will survive those big moments. The Seahawks will be ready for it.

Hard on fans. Great for winning.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Lot's of years we've bemoaned the fact that our team just didn't know how to win. We'd have lost this one in seasons past. Not this team. They're never out of it. They just know how to win.

Think about it. The pass rush was in their face all day and so what do they do? Go long to Tate. They find a way.

OrFan

Reaction score
We scored touchdowns, they scored field goals. That is a recipe for a win. Tough teams find a way to win even if things are matched up wrong for you. That is exactly what the Seahawks did, found a way to win on the road, with backup linemen against a great pass rush.

I couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Training = performance. I'd rather see these battles being played out now than in the NFC championship for the first time. It keeps a young and hungry team HUMBLE and working to get better. They were on Monday Night, national game, and they looked BAD at times. I think it's the best thing that can happen for a team with their eyes on winning their last game of the season.

Think about the Patriots that went 16-0. What did that get them when the SB got nasty? Without the threat of losing, winning losses that sense of desperation and you can lose your edge.

I would have loved a blow out as a fan. But having coached football for several years, this was a GREAT outcome for this team. IMO.

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Both losing and winning are tangible elements in a team's dynamic. You can almost feel it.

I will add that the best part of these lessons is that they are all coming on the road!

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Boiler":14peazvi said:
Well said. We've all seen the Hawks lose games like this time and time again.

It was agonizing how you could see that they were so close, so many times. SOOOOO glad to have confidence in the 4th quarter of tight games! :)

bigwrm

Reaction score
I don't think winning close games makes you better at winning, but I'm sure glad that we have a defense good enough to keep us in any game and a qb that I trust in the 4th quarter.

HawkHack

Reaction score
bigwrm":19vx8lc8 said:
I don't think winning close games makes you better at winning, but I'm sure glad that we have a defense good enough to keep us in any game and a qb that I trust in the 4th quarter.
I disagree: winning close games does make you better at winning.

It doesn't make it any easier on us fans, though. :lol:

GoHawks

Reaction score
Getting a win from a performance like this and others is great, but I wouldn't call it a recipe for sustained success either