Wilson gets booed in Denver

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh no shit huh...you dont say? So hand signals and gestures are gone? Relaying through subs for checks or getting everyone lined up after a play call only happens with less than 15 seconds or you are saying every play is called before 15 seconds? Ok i guess russ been doing it wrong all along. Hmmm what do you know? You are right. Just because quora says it cuts off at exactly 15 seconds means it is true. Sure ok...doesnt matter anyway. This convo is about how you guys hate on russ for weird and untrue reasons.
This is sad. It's a rule. It's been a rule. It's not even an obscure rule. The mics cut off at 15 remaining. Point blank.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
And yet I don't recall major issues with that at USC. Only in Seattle, and only with Russ. I could be misremembering, but I think it has a lot more to do with Russ than Pete.
Who's ever fault it was, the one that really sticks out in my head is that last game in 2019 that was for the division and first and goal from the 1 turned into first and goal from the 6....coming out of a timeout.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Oh no shit huh...you dont say? So hand signals and gestures are gone? Relaying through subs for checks or getting everyone lined up after a play call only happens with less than 15 seconds or you are saying every play is called before 15 seconds? Ok i guess russ been doing it wrong all along. Hmmm what do you know? You are right. Just because quora says it cuts off at exactly 15 seconds means it is true. Sure ok...doesnt matter anyway. This convo is about how you guys hate on russ for weird and untrue reasons.
It's not Quora that says that. It's the NFL rulebook.

Specifically, Rule 5, Section 3, Article 3:
SPEAKERS IN HELMETS. The Coach-to-Player system allows a member of the coaching staff in the bench area
or the coaches’ booth to communicate to a designated offensive or defensive player with a speaker in his helmet. The communication begins once a game official has signaled a down to be over and is cut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or the ball is snapped, whichever occurs first.

(Boldface emphasis mine)

So if the ball is snapped with more than 15 seconds on the play clock, communication is cut off at the moment of the snap. If the ball is not snapped before the play clock reaches 15 seconds, then communication is cut off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds. Y'know, EXACTLY what @Maelstrom787 said.

So the countdown by the crowd of the final five seconds of the play clock on several plays in Denver on Sunday started ten seconds after communication from the coaches had been cut off. It was for one person only, and that person was not on the sideline. And that person has had similar trouble getting plays off in time earlier in his career.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ok do the next one .net god? Plus...still not freaking vs just make plain statements.
Those aren't plain statements, my guy. It's the same "rah rah, everyone's a crackhead and everyone is a whiner and hater except me on this site!" stuff.

I'm not a God, and I'm not a figure of authority. I'm not pretending to be one, either. Criticism doesn't have to come from above you.

toffee

Reaction score
I'm not determining it, it's a damn rule in the damn rulebook that hundreds of coaches and players have talked about. It's a FACT. I am not determining anything.

The mics cut off at 15 or when the ball is snapped... whichever comes FIRST. If 15 comes first, then the mic cuts off. If the snap comes first, the ball was snapped prior to 15.
I felt like your time can be better use elsewhere.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Anyone just scroll through to see how John responded?

Must be busy putting out fires elsewhere…

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Man, can someone refer me to that job listing when it becomes available? Seems like a pretty sweet gig to have. "Here, flip this switch when you see either the ball get snapped or when the play clock hits 15 seconds."

toffee

Reaction score
Russ is taking care of the important stuff, ok? He signed that contract with guaranteed money, didn't he? Now, that's what I could call taking care of business, can you imagine he allowed a test drive before signing?

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
And now the world knows why Russ was a third round pick.

For what seemed like forever, you could have sworn the guy was crowned as a revolutionary hybrid of Michael Vick and Tom Brady.

Hey, look at me, I got carried by a once-in-a-generation running back and top 3 defense of all time, pad my stats against division rivals that can't get out of their own way, and I suddenly think I'm in the same discussion as Patrick ******* Mahomes.

Yeah, well, welcome to a division where at least half the teams have their shit together...I think.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
By frustrated Bronco fans. His 3 yards rushing in two weeks was something we tried to tell Denver fans regarding his lack of mobility but no….
They had to see it for themselves. Just lmao 🤣
Yeah, well that's Sacrilege Crap & John63 will NIP THAT IN THE BUD damned quick!!

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Let's take this as logically as possible.

If the snap happens before there is 15 seconds left on the play clock, the headset stays on. So, once the play clock hits fifteen seconds, the headset is turned off by an official, so there is no more communication between quarterback and coach. That is exactly what the rule says.
The headset doesn't stay on ever while the ball is in play. You can't have the OC making live reads while the ball is in the QBs hands