Will Pete Carroll pull off the trade for Sam Darnold

CPHawk

Reaction score
Even more so that 2005 team, that had Bush and looked so unstoppable. Not one of those guys became a star in the nfl.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We now need to put all our resources into getting Darnold. He has more upside then Lock. It's a bummer the Panthers outbid us for Baker but we still need a QB and Darnold hasn't really gotten a fair shake in this league.
The Panthers outbid us for Baker? The Panthers are giving up basically nothing in their offer. So did we offer less than nothing?

To the thread topic... no. We aren't going to trade for the QB that might have just been replaced by the QB that we apparently thought was worth less than nothing. If we think Mayfield is worth less than nothing, how much less could we possibly offer for Darnold?

For better or worse, the Seahawks are going with Smith and Lock, as they pretty much have been saying. And I'm fine with that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Toffee: I suspect the chorus of AP’ers will loudly respond to your post.

I agree with you though and if nothing else at least we will have a QB here prepared to run the scheme the coaches want run. Perhaps even the team might have fewer sacks and an improved 3rd down completion %.

The real area of needed improvement is on the other side of the ball. Thankfully there looks to be real change coming there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IMO it's too late to trade for anyone.

Camp starts in a couple weeks, and no one worth trading for is available. Neither Darnold or Jimmy G is going to be able to come in here and have enough time to learn the offense and win the starting job.

It doesn't FEEL like Pete and John are tanking............but damn does it feel like they're tanking. No way in hell they can be confident with Lock and Geno.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
It doesn't FEEL like Pete and John are tanking............but damn does it feel like they're tanking. No way in hell they can be confident with Lock and Geno.
I believe that Pete, with either Geno or Lock, is confident that his team can, and will compete. They likely won't make the playoffs, but they won't be an embarrassment either.

Pete wants desperately to win without Russell Wilson.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I believe that Pete, with either Geno or Lock, is confident that his team can, and will compete. They likely won't make the playoffs, but they won't be an embarrassment either.

Pete wants desperately to win without Russell Wilson.

That's really our worst fear isn't it? To go like 7-10 or have a mediocre year which not only prevents us from making the playoffs, it also prevents us from getting a top 10 draft pick needed to grab one of the 3-4 top QB's.

I never want any team I root for to tank, but if Pete's confident going into the season with Geno and Lock, then he's delusional. It's literally the worst QB room in the entire league.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Said he didn't think Sanchez was ready for the draft. It was honest, but he got a lot of backlash for it.
Rumor had it that Mark’s parents were also against him leaving USC early and were fully onboard with Pete doing whatever he could to keep mark from going to the NFL at that point. It didn’t work, and a lot of people felt Pete was throwing Mark under the bus because he just wanted his star player to stay another year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
They are around the same level when under pressure but Darnold tanked his stock with his play last year. I definitely would give Geno or Lock the edge over Darnold when playing in a clean pocket. Darnold simply played bad even with a clean pocket and what Rhule wanted was Darnold to just be a game manager. Darnold couldn't even do that and it reached a point where the team was going with old man Cam Newton....
I’m concerned for Sam that he’s never had a lot of consistent coaching. He only really started a little over one year in HS, then he rescued Helton’s butt in his RS Soph year and then regressed trying to do too much the next year. After that the Jets and then the Panthers.

He’s been hit so much already in the NFL, he might have David Carr syndrome. And he needs coaching for his feet, etc. He tries too hard to do it all because he’s always had to.

cymatica

Reaction score
Don't need to reach for a new QB. I think this team will surprise a lot of people. Geno actually played well last year, looked pretty good to me. If Lockett doesn't get tripped he gets a completion and they probably win the Ram game. They were a TJ Watt swat away from possibly beating the Steelers.

I think Geno steps up with a full training camp and starter reps and more familiarity with Waldron's system. I would rather just go with our guys and build chemistry around them and if we can get what looks like a franchise QB then go for it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Even more so that 2005 team, that had Bush and looked so unstoppable. Not one of those guys became a star in the nfl.
Nope, not much in the stardom department in the NFL. Seems the team was greater than the sum of the parts, which would seem to indicate good coaching by Pete and his staff.

Bush had some good years in New Orleans and contributed a fair amount to their SB-winning season.

Steve Smith was a solid receiver for the Giants and Terrell Thomas was on the cusp of stardom there at CB. Knee problems killed both their careers.

Ryan Kalil was a Pro Bowler as a C for Carolina.

Leinart is confounding. He ran hot and cold, and his immaturity his first couple years hurt him. Then Kurt Warner had a career resurgence. Matt also broke his collarbone twice. After that, he was pretty much done.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Carson Palmer was playing great in Cincinnati until his knee got blown out. And then he had an elbow problem for a while.
Carson Palmer looked absolutely incredible in Cincinnati. Guy was briefly considered a top-3 quarterback until Kimo atomic bombed every ligament in his knee plus a broken kneecap. That offense was nuts in 2005. Palmer got that knee injury on the first play of the playoff game vs. Pittsburgh that year - which was a 66 yard completion to Chris Henry, who ALSO injured his knee on the play. Cursed team that had the talent to win it all.

Went on to be pretty damn good for Arizona afterwards.

Perhaps he's not including Palmer, though, as Palmer is right on the cusp of being drafted 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Smellyman

Reaction score
Carson Palmer was playing great in Cincinnati until his knee got blown out. And then he had an elbow problem for a while.
and he was having a very disappointing college career until Pete showed up and turned him around.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think this point is worth elaborating. Why were USC QBs so good under PC but weren't before and haven't been since?

Pete left USC in 2009 and every QB that played for him was drafted in to the NFL. 2 of them won Heismans (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) on his team. Matt Leinart also won 2 national championships at USC but flamed out in the NFL. Additionally, there's Mark Sanchez and Booty and Barkley that couldn't win outside a Pete Carroll team.

Then, take RW. If he'd have gone anywhere else, there's a reasonable argument that he'd have ended up on the bench, at least for some period of time. Out of 23 seasons as HC, Carroll has had, maybe 4+/- that have been busted by QB play, probably fewer: Booty, Sanchez (although they won the Rose Bowl too) and Tarvaris Jackson in 2011. His worst record as a Head Coach is 6 wins at the Jets in 1994 with Boomer Esiason. He won 7 games in 2011 with Tarvaris Jackson.

Is it odd that all QBs that Pete brought in consistently won more under him than any other coach before or after in their perspective careers? Looking at Pete's long history of winning a lot of football with average QBs makes me think predicting 3 or 4 wins in 2022 is a little exaggerated. It'll be interesting to see anyway.
This will go down as one of the most underrated posts in the history of .net. Excellent observation.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There seems to be two hard schools of thought ongoing here:

1. Our present QBs suck and they need to be immediately replaced by whoever the team can sign regardless of cost. As a result every potentially available QB's name is floated out there as a potential trade or signing target. This approach comes with acceptance that the potential trade target/signee might only be just barely better than the candidates the team has on their roster at present. This would possibly lead to the team potentially being slightly stronger than predicted and winning more games than the Vegas prediction of 5.5 this upcoming season.

2. The team has decided to wait and find the replacement QB in the draft and that trading for a player like Mayfield, Garopollo or ? would impair that ability by worsening the team's draft position or the team's ability to use early 2023 draft picks to otherwise improve the team. Thus this group is prepared to accept a lesser outcome from the team to allow it to be better long term. this is suck now to be better later approach which is in consistent with 'Always Compete'.

The 3rd alternative from the usually reliable AP'er sources is nothing the team does is worth much and they will suck no matter what they do. So regardless of what they do there will be a reason to find fault with Pete or Schneider and if not them then Jody Allen. The FO but particularly Pete is blamed if an Outside QB not named Wilson is acquired or if he doesn't acquire an outside QB. Objective evidence of a steady and solid team record since the present FO's arrival is ignored with a what have you done lately approach. There of course is a stoney silence when requests of the AP'ers is made for them to suggest available alternatives. This is regrettably repetitive nihilism.

In reality of course we just don't know how the QB situation is going to play out with the understandable situation of the older player experienced in the system taking the early lead over the young player from another team, or the former 3rd string backup from last season. To me neither hard school of thought fairly assesses the situation and the ability of the team to be better by either direction. We all want the team to be competitive and we all want the team to be able to improve from benefits from the RW trade. Mayfield was clearly not thought by the team to be much improvement over the present QB staff as they were not really 'in' on the trade for the player for which Cleveland got peanuts and assumed $10.5 million for the year against their cap to rid themselves of the player. It can't be said the team got outbid by Carolina when Carolina got Mayfield at less than 1/3 of the player's guaranteed cap cost for a conditional 2024 5th round draft pick. Now it's on to Darnold and the story goes back to the same cap number for a 2023 UFA QB costing $18.585 mil. for a year. Carolina would need to eat Darnold's guaranteed salary for the team to be much interested at all in trading anything similar than what Cleveland got for Mayfield for Darnold at all. In result the team is unlikely to be 'in' on trading for him either. However, even if that happened and you achieved the potential marginal improvement of the QB depth would it be a legitimate detriment to acquiring a top prospect in the draft next year? I suspect not.

I'm just sort of venting here as these positions seem to be shortsighted.

Latest posts