Will Pete Carroll pull off the trade for Sam Darnold

Own The West

Reaction score
Can we just get one "Every quarterback but our own" thread going so I don't get keep getting duped into thinking something real might be going on?

It's three weeks until training camp. Why would we bring in any more also-ran QB prospects? There are no QB1 prospects out there to be had. We got a couple of guys that can be game managers, one more experienced with less upside, one less experience with more upside. That's the best we're going to get at this point. Any other camp bodies are just going to be noise.

Ruminator

Reaction score
"Our QB hasn't really been working out for us lately, time to roll with some other team's QB" is suddenly rampant in the NFL.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete: "Yeah, I was his coach at USC and we won like crazy, but I don't think he's particularly good."
Pete: “Yeah, I was long gone before he came to USC, but I always keep my eye on the Trojans. He’s a talented kid who’s had struggles after that crap coaching he got from Helton.”

flv2

Reaction score
Darnold is a $4.5M QB. He would be a negligible upgrade, even if the Panthers were willing to eat the remainder of his $18M+ salary.

...but sadly this is a move I could see happening.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Not exactly sure that Darnold has had much go his way in terms of coaching, playing time, or team support of a capable surrounding cast since entering the league, with either the Jets or the Panthers. Darnold is one step away from being not much more than a career backup who could have the physical skills to be 'the guy' but those skills may never be realized. At present there is little likelihood that Seattle would trade diddly for him on a one year deal being a UFA next season and eating an $18.858 million contract for one year just isn't going to happen. With him he's almost a worse pick up than Mayfield. Still he did show legit talent in college, but with mono and injuries and crappy coaching and a weak surrounding cast here he is in a fight he won't win with Mayfield to be the #1 in Carolina.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I’m just wa
Can we just get one "Every quarterback but our own" thread going so I don't get keep getting duped into thinking something real might be going on?

It's three weeks until training camp. Why would we bring in any more also-ran QB prospects? There are no QB1 prospects out there to be had. We got a couple of guys that can be game managers, one more experienced with less upside, one less experience with more upside. That's the best we're going to get at this point. Any other camp bodies are just going to be noise.
I’m just for someone to make a “Seahawks close done deal with Darnold” thread.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We now need to put all our resources into getting Darnold. He has more upside then Lock. It's a bummer the Panthers outbid us for Baker but we still need a QB and Darnold hasn't really gotten a fair shake in this league.
Wait....what happened to your "source"?

CPHawk

Reaction score
USC hasn’t produced a decent NFL qb in 20 years. We already have 3 bad QBs, collecting bad QBs doesn’t win games.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Pete trying to win the award for "Shittiest QB Room in the NFL" I think he has that well in hand now. Good job Pete! You are such a GREAT coach we don't need a stinking QB Super Bowl here we come! Onward to 8 years of postseason failure. Whooop Whoooop!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It's probably just a remake of "Castaway," and in the final act, we will all be left yelling, "Willllllsssonnn!"

chrispy

Reaction score
USC hasn’t produced a decent NFL qb in 20 years. We already have 3 bad QBs, collecting bad QBs doesn’t win games.
I think this point is worth elaborating. Why were USC QBs so good under PC but weren't before and haven't been since?

Pete left USC in 2009 and every QB that played for him was drafted in to the NFL. 2 of them won Heismans (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) on his team. Matt Leinart also won 2 national championships at USC but flamed out in the NFL. Additionally, there's Mark Sanchez and Booty and Barkley that couldn't win outside a Pete Carroll team.

Then, take RW. If he'd have gone anywhere else, there's a reasonable argument that he'd have ended up on the bench, at least for some period of time. Out of 23 seasons as HC, Carroll has had, maybe 4+/- that have been busted by QB play, probably fewer: Booty, Sanchez (although they won the Rose Bowl too) and Tarvaris Jackson in 2011. His worst record as a Head Coach is 6 wins at the Jets in 1994 with Boomer Esiason. He won 7 games in 2011 with Tarvaris Jackson.

Is it odd that all QBs that Pete brought in consistently won more under him than any other coach before or after in their perspective careers? Looking at Pete's long history of winning a lot of football with average QBs makes me think predicting 3 or 4 wins in 2022 is a little exaggerated. It'll be interesting to see anyway.

toffee

Reaction score
I think this point is worth elaborating. Why were USC QBs so good under PC but weren't before and haven't been since?

Pete left USC in 2009 and every QB that played for him was drafted in to the NFL. 2 of them won Heismans (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) on his team. Matt Leinart also won 2 national championships at USC but flamed out in the NFL. Additionally, there's Mark Sanchez and Booty and Barkley that couldn't win outside a Pete Carroll team.

Then, take RW. If he'd have gone anywhere else, there's a reasonable argument that he'd have ended up on the bench, at least for some period of time. Out of 23 seasons as HC, Carroll has had, maybe 4+/- that have been busted by QB play, probably fewer: Booty, Sanchez (although they won the Rose Bowl too) and Tarvaris Jackson in 2011. His worst record as a Head Coach is 6 wins at the Jets in 1994 with Boomer Esiason. He won 7 games in 2011 with Tarvaris Jackson.

Is it odd that all QBs that Pete brought in consistently won more under him than any other coach before or after in their perspective careers? Looking at Pete's long history of winning a lot of football with average QBs makes me think predicting 3 or 4 wins in 2022 is a little exaggerated. It'll be interesting to see anyway.
May be, just may be, Peteball happened to be QB friendly??? Just like Pete's defense players do not necessarily do well outside of Pete's system?