Who does Seattle pick at #5? (Poll)

With the Fifth pick in the 2023 NFL draft the Seattle Seahawks select....

• Bryce Young

• CJ Stroud

• Will Anderson Jr

• Will Levis

• Jalen Carter

• Myles Murphy

• Tyree Wilson

• Bryan Bresee

• Other player

• None. They trade out

Results are only viewable after voting.

A-Dog

Reaction score
This is unconventional but I think the Seahawks should give Geno the transition tag. If the team wants to do right by Geno and give him every opportunity to get the best deal he can (current and prospective Seahawks players would respect and appreciate the organization for this), and the Seahawks can match and keep him if they are okay with the final numbers. I get why the Franchise tag might be better for the team if they want to win back some compensation (most likely a tag and trade scenario), but the transition tag will ensure that teams will give Geno their best offer without worrying about trade compensation (nobody is going to give up two 1st AND a big contract for Geno if he's given the non-exclusive franchise tag). This process can play out before the draft so the Seahawks can go into it knowing whether they need a QB. I know there are lots of counter-arguments to this (it benefits the Seahawks if other teams don't know whether they'll draft a QB or not - if Geno signs elsewhere they'll know they need to trade up ahead of the the Seahawks if they want one of the top 4 QBs). Still, seems like the cleanest approach, and best case scenario for the Hawks is Geno finds out his true market value, and it's at or below what the Seahawks are willing to pay, and they are able to keep him without a prolonged holdout/negotiation and/or having his whole first-year contract guaranteed in the case of the franchise tag, which would eat up the salary cap.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
IDC how insane anyone thinks it is. I think Hendon Hooker would be great even if we used our second first round pick. The guy just screams Seahawk to me. I think he's easily the most undervalued QB prospect in the draft.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
IDC how insane anyone thinks it is. I think Hendon Hooker would be great even if we used our second first round pick. The guy just screams Seahawk to me. I think he's easily the most undervalued QB prospect in the draft.

In the 2nd? Somewhere between

And

In the 4th or later:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I've moved off Young a little. But watching him he was incredible. His size is almost unprecedented though and it has to be a factor.
I saw an interesting take from Mel Kiper. He said that if Young weighs at least 195 at the combine he's QB1. His rationale is that he needs to be at least 195 to handle the pounding QBs take in the NFL. He also said he's never had a problem with short QBs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall him saying Russ was too short to play in the NFL.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I saw an interesting take from Mel Kiper. He said that if Young weighs at least 195 at the combine he's QB1. His rationale is that he needs to be at least 195 to handle the pounding QBs take in the NFL.
That’s a reasonable take. With as slender as he looks, adding some bulk shouldn‘t be too hard.

Height will be factor as well. If he comes in at 6ft that should move him out of the ‘too short‘ realm.

Ideally he measures out at 6ft & 200# and shifts the focus to his game tape and intangibles.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I can see the headlines now...John Schneider Goes Big on a Hooker, And Pete's Okay With it. ;-)

Fade

Reaction score
That’s a reasonable take. With as slender as he looks, adding some bulk shouldn‘t be too hard.

Height will be factor as well. If he comes in at 6ft that should move him out of the ‘too short‘ realm.

Ideally he measures out at 6ft & 200# and shifts the focus to his game tape and intangibles.
He has excellent tape, and intangibles.

Combine weight (where they can drink two gallons of water before weighing in) And actual playing weight are 2 different things.

Bryce Young is built to play point guard, not NFL QB.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
He has excellent tape, and intangibles.

Combine weight (where they can drink two gallons of water before weighing in) And actual playing weight are 2 different things.

Bryce Young is built to play point guard, not NFL QB.
Agreed he’s not the prototypical build. Just saying there’s a Mendoza line somewhere to avoid it severely impacting his draft stock.

I’ll add the disclaimer that the 200# needs to be a noticeably more muscular build than his college playing weight.

On a side note, I always hear the drink a bunch of water line. Curious if they do drug testing on the same day as weight. Wouldn’t that produce the dreaded diluted sample?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Drafting Cross and Lucas was the perfect prelude to drafting an elite pocket passer.

Additionally we were able to learn Geno's ceiling and while there is no doubt he blew away all of our expectations, some credit for his success has to be given to Cross and Lucas. The bottom line, there isn't a realistic path to the super bowl with Geno. Geno isn't capable of putting enough points on the board and selecting all defensive players in the draft and have them magically develop into the next LOB over the off season is just asking a bit too much.
They should target the team that will be give them a high draft choice, a loser this coming year, and trade out and gain picks this year. This high of a pick is not worth it, unless you get a Pro Bowl player for at least two contracts. A star QB, or a great pass rusher, or trade out.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I saw an interesting take from Mel Kiper. He said that if Young weighs at least 195 at the combine he's QB1. His rationale is that he needs to be at least 195 to handle the pounding QBs take in the NFL. He also said he's never had a problem with short QBs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to recall him saying Russ was too short to play in the NFL.
Exactly. Kiper talks like he's an NFL gm
Or something. Kind of funny 😁. There's people on .net that would have as good of a chance to guess who's picked and which round.

I wouldn't be one of the people on .net that I was referring to .

I originally voted that Seattle would trade out of the 1st pick but I'd like to make an amendment to my vote. I'm leaning to Seattle taking Jalen Carter, these teams
Investigate these picks and if they decide Carter is the man then who the heck am I to talk ?

Where's Fade when we need his input?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I think the big question is how much value do the Seahawks see in the later part of the first round and the 2nd and 3rd round for what they perceive their needs to be to get the players they need for a superbowl run. To me that is the biggest question because i believe they will have the opportunity to trade down and get a ton for that 5th pick... depending on who drops to them i could see them taking witherspoon if they think they can get there D line players in the later part of the 1st and or in the 2nd and 3rd round... we just dont know...

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Levis played behind a terrible O-Line this past year. That is the main reason why this past season was kind of underwhelming for him compared to his junior year.
Not just the O line except maybe for Vanderbilt Kentucky had the least talented roster in the SEC the only real offensive weapon Levis had was RB Chris Rodriguez Jr

HawksNation

Reaction score
I think the big question is how much value do the Seahawks see in the later part of the first round and the 2nd and 3rd round for what they perceive their needs to be to get the players they need for a superbowl run. To me that is the biggest question because i believe they will have the opportunity to trade down and get a ton for that 5th pick... depending on who drops to them i could see them taking witherspoon if they think they can get there D line players in the later part of the 1st and or in the 2nd and 3rd round... we just dont know...

I could see them taking Skoronski after a trade down. Guards have the best odds of success in the first round followed by TE.
Guard- 51% odds of probowl
TE- 42% pro bowl

DL- 20%
QB -22%

Fade

Reaction score
Where's Fade when we need his input?
I am sticking with trade down. I think they want to trade down, but I am also thinking they will have a hard time trying to find a partner, and may have to stand pat at #5 with Anderson off the board.

If no Will Anderson, I want a trade down.

Fade

Reaction score
Based on JS's history. I'm sure he loves the talent projected to go in the 2nd and 3rd round. He loves those rounds when the 1st is usually loaded. In this odd class with a lack of top15 talent, I am sure he's even more enthusiastic about that range.

The #5 trade down is going to be hard to pull off unless their is a QB on the board that a team really wants. Fingers crossed.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Based on JS's history. I'm sure he loves the talent projected to go in the 2nd and 3rd round. He loves those rounds when the 1st is usually loaded. In this odd class with a lack of top15 talent, I am sure he's even more enthusiastic about that range.

The #5 trade down is going to be hard to pull off unless their is a QB on the board that a team really wants. Fingers crossed.
Everybody thinks there is going to be a run on QBs in the top 5... i dont necisarily think that. I think there very well could be a couple of Qbs available at 5.. Houston is sitting at 2 and isnt their coach the 49ers old D cordinator Demarco Ryans? Everybody just assumes they are going to pick a Qb.. regardless this is a facinating draft!

toffee

Reaction score
A quick and easy note on Mel Kipper and his type of media "analysts":

According to this website, Mel is making north of $400k PA, let's be generous and round it up to $500k PA. NFL GM? From $1 mil to 7.5 mil. If Mel got enough to draft for NFL teams, he won't be doing what he is doing. He is entertaining, and we may want to take his words and predictions accordingly.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
A quick and easy note on Mel Kipper and his type of media "analysts":

According to this website, Mel is making north of $400k PA, let's be generous and round it up to $500k PA. NFL GM? From $1 mil to 7.5 mil. If Mel got enough to draft for NFL teams, he won't be doing what he is doing. He is entertaining, and we may want to take his words and predictions accordingly.

I think he was the first to do the "draft analysis" stuff. Which is smart . He's wrong a lot and then talks smack about the GMs when they don't take who HE thinks they need to take. Hilarious.

toffee

Reaction score
I think he was the first to do the "draft analysis" stuff. Which is smart . He's wrong a lot and then talks smack about the GMs when they don't take who HE thinks they need to take. Hilarious.
Entertaining.

Fade

Reaction score
Everybody thinks there is going to be a run on QBs in the top 5... i dont necisarily think that. I think there very well could be a couple of Qbs available at 5.. Houston is sitting at 2 and isnt their coach the 49ers old D cordinator Demarco Ryans? Everybody just assumes they are going to pick a Qb.. regardless this is a facinating draft!

Of course, it's the outcome most people want. Myself included. From a National perspective, the QBs, Will Anderson, and Jalen Carter are the only guys worth talking about in the top 5, the other guys being dragged into the convo, are just for that, the convo. Have to fill that time with something.

Base on my evaluation, I wouldn't touch any of these QBs in the top 10, but this draft is lacking blue chip talent, so the most valuable position (QB) gets pushed up the board.

I think Bryce Young is top 5 worthy, however I don't think he can hold up with his slight build. So I would have him lower due to that.

Stroud is overvalued from playing on a loaded team, with a superior scheme. He's good, but not Franchise QB good. He was playing Madden on easy, and getting comped to players playing on All-Pro. It will be a different ball game for him at the NFL level, more so than the other guys.

Levis could go either way, he's the boom or bust guy. Poor decision maker, sloppy footwork. Has everything else if you're cool with his arm motion (which I am). He could be unlocked and become a player. But needs the right coach to unlock him.

Richardson is fool's gold. Unless you're cool with running him until the wheels fall off like RG3, then he could impact early, but eventually will get injured. I don't view him as a prospect that can sit for 2 or 3 years and magically become a refined pocket passer.

So yes, I wouldn't be surprised if only 2 QBs go in the top 5 and the other 2 slip. Also too, drafting QBs high puts your ass on the line as a GM or Coach. If you draft a QB that high he better be the guy or there is a good chance you're getting fired.

Latest posts