Who does Seattle pick at #5? (Poll)

With the Fifth pick in the 2023 NFL draft the Seattle Seahawks select....

• Bryce Young

• CJ Stroud

• Will Anderson Jr

• Will Levis

• Jalen Carter

• Myles Murphy

• Tyree Wilson

• Bryan Bresee

• Other player

• None. They trade out

Results are only viewable after voting.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I want them to keep Geno. At the right price. 20-25 a year for 2 years. Max.
Cool story though.
Okay man, I'll lighten the hell up, I have to agree that Geno (as much as I like his grit) WILL have to acknowledge that it was Pete who SHOWED the most trust in him, just like he did with a thankless Russell Wilson...Words are Cheap, Geno SAYS he wants to retire a Seahawk, Pete Carroll says "We'd love to have Geno back" SO, who'$ going to be the fir$t to blink, and who'$ going to be the first to show their Credibility in commitment to their words.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Most of this is predicated on the Wilson drafting, Mahomes and Allen pro days. And then the report that they wanted to trade Wilson so they could draft Allen. Here's the thing, if they wanted to draft Allen, why is there no corresponding reports of them trying to trade Wilson to grab 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 where Allen was drafted? They wanted Mayfield and when the Browns decided to draft him, they didn't try to go after Allen. I still don't know if I trust the report from one source (sure it's Chris Simms that reported it, but one source) saying that they talked to the Browns about the trade. Them being willing to trade Russell Wilson at his height of play and popularity to draft major bust Baker Mayfield makes me doubt their evaluation. Also, I sincerely doubt Mahomes becomes the Mahomes we know under the Seahawks instead of in Andy Reid's system that makes almost every QB look good.
Russell had a no trade clause...

Per Mike Salk, JS had a trade in place last year, Russell to Philadelphia, and we get Jalen Hurts. RW said no. LOL! Think Roseman wins Exec of the Year if that trade goes through?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If Bears and Cardinals both trade down, QBs could go 1,2,3. But if the Bears do the Colts deal and the Cards take Anderson, then there is better chance Raiders/Panthers will trade up to #5 if their ā€œguyā€ isnā€™t already off the board. No matter how all this shakes out, I am pretty confident the Seahawks end up drafting an edge rusher.

GemCity

Reaction score
Sans Mahomes, teams that spend a significant amount of their cap on QBs arenā€™t really getting that great a return on their investment.
Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Kyler, Russ, etc.

As sometimes mentioned in these forums, the window for success can rely heavily on having a QB under a rookie contract allowing the organization to spread $$ to other positions.

More than ever, I feel like Peteā€™s ā€œsystemā€ is geared towards this ideology. Trade a ā€œfranchiseā€ QB? No problem. Start the backup and watch him have one of the best Seahawks QB seasons ever.

Iā€™m in awe of what Geno did this past year. The story feels good. His performance, especially in the first half of the season, was phenomenal. I think heā€™s the perfect guy for a rookie to sit under to adopt Genoā€™s mindset, pocket presence, ability to spread the field, etc. while we wait for the defense to manifest itself.

We made the playoffs. That in itself is a testament to PC AND Geno. I had us at 5-6 wins (*mind blown*). But, we werenā€™t a real threat and although we had our hopes up, deep down no one thought we were winning that game against SF. Iā€™m not knocking our season. It was the most entertaining one weā€™ve had in several years.

Weā€™re not going to be a ā€œreal threatā€ for at least another year. After the last draft, in which PC and JS absolutely shredded it, we can have some degree of confidence that this next draft will be solid and wonā€™t have head-scratching ā€œwhy the F*ā‚¬Ā£ did they pick this guyā€ vibes. At least, thatā€™s what Iā€™m feeling.

Long ass postā€¦waiting for my egg bites to cool down. Anyways, what Iā€™m getting at is this. I donā€™t think we should be paying $30M+ even if thatā€™s considered a bargain by todays redunkulous QB market. Iā€™d love to have Geno back but, he certainly deserves to get the bag. Heā€™s never had this hot of an iron contract wise.

QB isnā€™t even top 10 need wise. But, it makes sense now more than ever to pluck one out of this upcoming draft. Given the chance to develop with last years crop of rookies and the ones we snatch in this next draft, good things will come of it.

We saw first hand that PCs ā€œsystemā€ can work with different personnel at QB. Weā€™re not playing for a SB next year. We need a defense and another year of experience for our youngsters to grow. We need another kick ass draft.

My viewpoint of drafting DT, Edge, LB, LB, and Center (in that order) has shifted to taking a chance on one of these QBs in the first or second round.

Whatever the case, I am as confident as ever that weā€™re heading in the right direction no matter what scenario plays out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sans Mahomes, teams that spend a significant amount of their cap on QBs arenā€™t really getting that great a return on their investment.
Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Kyler, Russ, etc.

As sometimes mentioned in these forums, the window for success can rely heavily on having a QB under a rookie contract allowing the organization to spread $$ to other positions.

More than ever, I feel like Peteā€™s ā€œsystemā€ is geared towards this ideology. Trade a ā€œfranchiseā€ QB? No problem. Start the backup and watch him have one of the best Seahawks QB seasons ever.

Iā€™m in awe of what Geno did this past year. The story feels good. His performance, especially in the first half of the season, was phenomenal. I think heā€™s the perfect guy for a rookie to sit under to adopt Genoā€™s mindset, pocket presence, ability to spread the field, etc. while we wait for the defense to manifest itself.

We made the playoffs. That in itself is a testament to PC AND Geno. I had us at 5-6 wins (*mind blown*). But, we werenā€™t a real threat and although we had our hopes up, deep down no one thought we were winning that game against SF. Iā€™m not knocking our season. It was the most entertaining one weā€™ve had in several years.

Weā€™re not going to be a ā€œreal threatā€ for at least another year. After the last draft, in which PC and JS absolutely shredded it, we can have some degree of confidence that this next draft will be solid and wonā€™t have head-scratching ā€œwhy the F*ā‚¬Ā£ did they pick this guyā€ vibes. At least, thatā€™s what Iā€™m feeling.

Long ass postā€¦waiting for my egg bites to cool down. Anyways, what Iā€™m getting at is this. I donā€™t think we should be paying $30M+ even if thatā€™s considered a bargain by todays redunkulous QB market. Iā€™d love to have Geno back but, he certainly deserves to get the bag. Heā€™s never had this hot of an iron contract wise.

QB isnā€™t even top 10 need wise. But, it makes sense now more than ever to pluck one out of this upcoming draft. Given the chance to develop with last years crop of rookies and the ones we snatch in this next draft, good things will come of it.

We saw first hand that PCs ā€œsystemā€ can work with different personnel at QB. Weā€™re not playing for a SB next year. We need a defense and another year of experience for our youngsters to grow. We need another kick ass draft.

My viewpoint of drafting DT, Edge, LB, LB, and Center (in that order) has shifted to taking a chance on one of these QBs in the first or second round.

Whatever the case, I am as confident as ever that weā€™re heading in the right direction no matter what scenario plays out.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but remember even if Geno's franchised (32M), that's only around 13% of the cap with the big increase.

Giving Geno a one or two year deal isn't going to preclude the Hawks from drafting a QB if there's one they're high on this year or next.

IMO there's nothing wrong with going back to the way it used to be, drafting a QB and having him learn, develop and play behind a veteran for a year or so. Very FEW college QB's are NFL ready coming out of college, no matter where they're drafted.

Look at Trevor Lawrence, took him until what, year 3 under a QB friendly coach to finally start playing well enough to barely help his team into the playoffs? And he was the biggest bona fide generational sure thing to come out of the draft in 10+ years.

GemCity

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you're saying, but remember even if Geno's franchised (32M), that's only around 13% of the cap with the big increase.

Giving Geno a one or two year deal isn't going to preclude the Hawks from drafting a QB if there's one they're high on this year or next.

IMO there's nothing wrong with going back to the way it used to be, drafting a QB and having him learn, develop and play behind a veteran for a year or so. Very FEW college QB's are NFL ready coming out of college, no matter where they're drafted.

Look at Trevor Lawrence, took him until what, year 3 under a QB friendly coach to finally start playing well enough to barely help his team into the playoffs? And he was the biggest bona fide generational sure thing to come out of the draft in 10+ years.
Iā€™m good with $32M! I just cringe at folks throwing around $45M+.

With contracts these days, itā€™s not hard to imagine someone paying that.

Good point about Lawrence. I hope we can sit a guy under Genoā€¦best case scenario QB wise.
And to be fair, what if Geno comes back, stays consistent, and kicks the offense into high gear in the 4th quarter(s) when weā€™re grinding back and forth. Weā€™ve see a lot of these close games and it feels like that piece of the game is ā€œmissingā€. DK not dropping passes in the red zone would help butā€¦.

$32M would be great.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Iā€™m good with $32M! I just cringe at folks throwing around $45M+.

With contracts these days, itā€™s not hard to imagine someone paying that.

Good point about Lawrence. I hope we can sit a guy under Genoā€¦best case scenario QB wise.
And to be fair, what if Geno comes back, stays consistent, and kicks the offense into high gear in the 4th quarter(s) when weā€™re grinding back and forth. Weā€™ve see a lot of these close games and it feels like that piece of the game is ā€œmissingā€. DK not dropping passes in the red zone would help butā€¦.

$32M would be great.

Ain't no way Geno's getting 45M, here or elsewhere.

If I had to guess it'll land somewhere around a 2-3 year deal with around the franchise tag per year with most of the contract guaranteed.

So 100M three year deal, or 65M two year deal with most of it guaranteed. Somewhere around there. Doubt any other team wants to risk more years and more guaranteed money than that for a 32 year old QB that's only played well for one season, and not in their system or under their HC.

Our boy Russ put out a nice little cautionary tale of what that might look like for other teams considering breaking the bank for someone else's good QB.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
With the Fifth pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select....

Ok, in three months, the moment will finally arive. The #5 overall pick. Who do you have Seattle drafting there? Discuss below let's have fun!
I think after FA we will have a better idea of what the Hawks might do. Way to early to tell. My guess is they stay put and grab a DL. Who is it? Seahawks c are unpredictable.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Only one QB led their teams into the playoffs this year who wasn't making at least $35M, on a rookie deal, or named Tom Brady - that was Geno Smith. Kirk cousins was the lowest-paid non-rookie deal QB in the playoffs at $35M and they didn't get far.

On the surface that might sound like a reason to pay Geno, but what it actually means to me is that unless you have Pat Mahomes it's extremely risky to pay significant money to QB after their rookie deal. The reason for this is you can't afford to pay for a top defense if you are paying big money to a QB.

In the past 10 years, every QB but one was either elite (Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Stafford), on a rookie deal (Flacco, Russ, Mahomes), or both (Mahomes). You can argue whether Stafford belongs in the company of Brady, Manning, and Mahomes as "elite," but 2021 was a career year for him (67.2% completion percentage, 4,886 passing yards, 41 TDs vs 17 Ints) and his cap hit was a relatively modest $20M. Nick Foles is the outlier here but even though he wasn't on a rookie deal, his cap number was only $1.6M and he only started 3 regular season games.

I like Geno a lot, I think he's a top-10 QB, but he's certainly not Mahomes, and I don't think many would argue that he's a top-5 QB. He's not going to win games on his own - something we saw even Russ do with some regularity.

I'm not opposed to re-signing Geno, but if it prevents the Seahawks from signing a guy like Daron Payne, drafting a QB at 5 makes a lot more sense just based on the above. There are variables involved, like which QBs will actually be there at 5, and which QBs do Pete & John like, and how much does Pete want to win now at all costs, but just as a general rule the QB on a rookie deal route is pretty hard to argue against.

Do we want Daron Payne and C.J. Stroud? Or do we want Jalen Carter and Geno Smith? Or what about Daron Payne, Tyree Wilson, and Anthony Richardson? That's an oversimplification but that's kind of how I'm looking at it. The front 7 needs a ton of help.

NoGain

Reaction score
Actually, this was Trevor Lawrence's second year, and his first year with something resembling a true NFL coach.

knownone

Reaction score
An outside-the-box pick is Peter Skoronski. His scouting report projects him as a potential all-pro at guard. #5 is probably too high for him, but if we trade back, he wouldn't be a bad option in a relatively shallow draft.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Only one QB led their teams into the playoffs this year who wasn't making at least $35M, on a rookie deal, or named Tom Brady - that was Geno Smith. Kirk cousins was the lowest-paid non-rookie deal QB in the playoffs at $35M and they didn't get far.

On the surface that might sound like a reason to pay Geno, but what it actually means to me is that unless you have Pat Mahomes it's extremely risky to pay significant money to QB after their rookie deal. The reason for this is you can't afford to pay for a top defense if you are paying big money to a QB.

In the past 10 years, every QB but one was either elite (Brady, Manning, Mahomes, Stafford), on a rookie deal (Flacco, Russ, Mahomes), or both (Mahomes). You can argue whether Stafford belongs in the company of Brady, Manning, and Mahomes as "elite," but 2021 was a career year for him (67.2% completion percentage, 4,886 passing yards, 41 TDs vs 17 Ints) and his cap hit was a relatively modest $20M. Nick Foles is the outlier here but even though he wasn't on a rookie deal, his cap number was only $1.6M and he only started 3 regular season games.

I like Geno a lot, I think he's a top-10 QB, but he's certainly not Mahomes, and I don't think many would argue that he's a top-5 QB. He's not going to win games on his own - something we saw even Russ do with some regularity.

I'm not opposed to re-signing Geno, but if it prevents the Seahawks from signing a guy like Daron Payne, drafting a QB at 5 makes a lot more sense just based on the above. There are variables involved, like which QBs will actually be there at 5, and which QBs do Pete & John like, and how much does Pete want to win now at all costs, but just as a general rule the QB on a rookie deal route is pretty hard to argue against.

Do we want Daron Payne and C.J. Stroud? Or do we want Jalen Carter and Geno Smith? Or what about Daron Payne, Tyree Wilson, and Anthony Richardson? That's an oversimplification but that's kind of how I'm looking at it. The front 7 needs a ton of help.

I mean... I see what your saying but i get hung up when you include Stafford... then try and make an argument for 1 good year Stafford and why he's now on your elite list
but then leave out a qb who had similar stats for comparison of 1 yr of a good season.

Stafford 67.2% 4,886yds, 41td 17int ...
Geno 69.8% 4,282yds 30td 11int ...

pretty similiar.... the rest of your argument falls apart as it really.. "If they sign Geno too

Also... Stafford isn't squat without Kupp. Geno moved the ball ALL around to farm more receivers/Te's than Stafford did.
Stafford when Kupp went down, his performance looks just as crappy as it did in Detroit.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The tough part is going to be if for whatever reason Stroud and Young don't come off the board in the top 4 and one is available at 5. Do you take that potential start QB cause you may never draft that high again?

A-Dog

Reaction score
I mean... I see what your saying but i get hung up when you include Stafford... then try and make an argument for 1 good year Stafford and why he's now on your elite list
but then leave out a qb who had similar stats for comparison of 1 yr of a good season.

Stafford 67.2% 4,886yds, 41td 17int ...
Geno 69.8% 4,282yds 30td 11int ...

pretty similiar.... the rest of your argument falls apart as it really.. "If they sign Geno too

Also... Stafford isn't squat without Kupp. Geno moved the ball ALL around to farm more receivers/Te's than Stafford did.
Stafford when Kupp went down, his performance looks just as crappy as it did in Detroit.

I acknowledged that Stafford as "elite" is debatable, but are there 4 QBs that had a better year than Stafford in 2021? I also called out that Stafford's cap hit was relatively small at $20M that year. I also think that the fact that the Rams fell apart the next year actually supports my argument. Even if you call Stafford an outlier, that's still 8/10 (or I would argue 9/10 since Foles was a really weird case where he didn't start most of the season and he essentially had no impact on the cap).

JPatera76

Reaction score
I acknowledged that Stafford as "elite" is debatable, but are there 4 QBs that had a better year than Stafford in 2021? I also called out that Stafford's cap hit was relatively small at $20M that year. I also think that the fact that the Rams fell apart the next year actually supports my argument. Even if you call Stafford an outlier, that's still 8/10 (or I would argue 9/10 since Foles was a really weird case where he didn't start most of the season and he essentially had no impact on the cap).
All solid points that I did overlook.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Stafford wasn't crappy in Detroit - there's a reason the Rams traded a lot to get him. But also, how would Geno have fared without D.K.?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Stafford wasn't crappy in Detroit - there's a reason the Rams traded a lot to get him. But also, how would Geno have fared without D.K.?
What's being overlooked here with your comparisons, is that Stafford had one hell of a lot better Defense getting the ball back in his hands, AND also giving Stafford & the Rams Offense a lot more TOP than Geno had to work with, and lest we forget, the Rams Offensive Line was waaaaay better than what Geno had in front of him.
Just think back on how much time Stafford had to survey the field, peel & eat an apple until Kupp could get freed up.